PDA

View Full Version : Finally reached a couple of goals

Overload
03-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Just going to brag a little here although this may seem like lightweight stuff to most big boys here, but when you weigh 155lbs and are over 40 I'm in a happy place tonight :D

Tonight's workout included dips with BW + 75lbs for 10 and 7 reps. A new high for me and on my way to my main goal of BW + 100lbs.

Also did 1 arm DB rows with 100lbs for 11 reps and 8 reps. Another goal of mine especially after having such forearm issues late last year I never thought I would get close again. If I maintain my current weight, give or take, I'd like to be able to row my BW one day. lol

Ok, that's it for now. As you were :D

GREENFEATHER
03-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Good job, all I can brag about is getting 6 pull ups on thursday. It always revs me up to finally get a goal I've been persuing.

Niroc
03-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Way to go Overload. Excellent job. I always love when I reach a longtime goal at least on the forum you can have people share in your achievements. I know when I reach a new PR I tell my girlfriend and she's like uh, yeah that's reallly good. I know she could care less but I can truly understand the excitment that you feel when you reach a new pr.
Keep it up bro
Dave

Overload
03-01-2005, 07:31 PM
I know when I reach a new PR I tell my girlfriend and she's like uh, yeah that's reallly good. I know she could care less but I can truly understand the excitment that you feel when you reach a new pr.

LOL. My wife's the same way. I'll tell her what I just did and she'll be like "is that good?" :rolleyes: :D

Dia-Tribe
03-01-2005, 08:54 PM
LOL. My wife's the same way. I'll tell her what I just did and she'll be like "is that good?" :rolleyes: :D

yeh I can relate to this ...

I tell my wife how I just broke another PB and she just responds with,
"And don't forget to take out the trash, tonight....." grrrrrrrr

Nothing like sticken' a balloon with a pin...

Anyway I won the member of the month for February so she took notice when
I said it came with a $40.00 voucher.

MAXIMILLION
03-02-2005, 04:00 AM
Just going to brag a little here although this may seem like lightweight stuff to most big boys here, but when you weigh 155lbs and are over 40 I'm in a happy place tonight :D

Tonight's workout included dips with BW + 75lbs for 10 and 7 reps. A new high for me and on my way to my main goal of BW + 100lbs.

Also did 1 arm DB rows with 100lbs for 11 reps and 8 reps. Another goal of mine especially after having such forearm issues late last year I never thought I would get close again. If I maintain my current weight, give or take, I'd like to be able to row my BW one day. lol

Ok, that's it for now. As you were :D overload,overload cut reps down to 4-6 and you will be doing your wife on your back. what happened to my MAX-OT buddy, but anyway your doing good.

fitnessman
03-02-2005, 05:12 AM
Great job OL!

Capt. America
03-02-2005, 05:26 AM
At that weight and age you deserve bragging rights. It's a great feeling when all that hard work pays off! Things will only get better! Another reason why us older atheletes can continue to make good gains as we age!

Hibiscus09
03-02-2005, 06:03 AM
Very nice! :D Keep it up, and you'll be as strong as me, hotstuff! ;) [I want no wise cracks about me saying "Keep it up!" LOL ]

Overload
03-02-2005, 06:21 AM
overload,overload cut reps down to 4-6 and you will be doing your wife on your back. what happened to my MAX-OT buddy, but anyway your doing good.

Actually I was just thinking of this last night and I am going to cut down the reps a little. More like 6-8. That actually has been my target reps but strength keeps going up every week more than I expect due to my abbreviated routine.

I've been doing abbreviated training based on the book Beyond Brawn which is similar to Max-OT but even less volume. That works best for me. I've been on a 2 day split and I make progress every week which is my main focus. The lower volume has helped me in the strength and recovery department.

Overload
03-02-2005, 06:22 AM
I want no wise cracks about me saying "Keep it up!" LOL

My lips are sealed. Can't vouch for other parts not moving :D

Dummer
03-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet !!! Nice job Overload !!

Wrek
03-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Keep it up!!

Minotaur
03-02-2005, 07:01 AM

Ok, that's it for now. As you were :D

Wow, that's great! Congratulations.

My best for dips is a couple of sets of 8-10 reps @ bw, sometimes I can add 25lbs. I would love to be able to do bw (226) + 45 for starters. If I could do that I'll bet my bench would go through the roof. I guess practice makes perfect. Guess what I'm gonna try tonight? :D

Thanks for the inspiration. ;)

phikappa
03-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Cool!

Dia-Tribe
03-03-2005, 08:59 PM

You inspire me ... I'm a dip lover too and now i'm gonna have to buy a dippin' built. I'm 210lbs currently dippin' 40lbs locked between my legs (No that's the dumbell).

4 x 8 x 100lbs sounds damn impressive. Now all I have to do is lose 60lbs.

DanMc
03-04-2005, 07:35 AM
awsome job.. it is always nice to make your goals.

MAXIMILLION
03-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Actually I was just thinking of this last night and I am going to cut down the reps a little. More like 6-8. That actually has been my target reps but strength keeps going up every week more than I expect due to my abbreviated routine.

I've been doing abbreviated training based on the book Beyond Brawn which is similar to Max-OT but even less volume. That works best for me. I've been on a 2 day split and I make progress every week which is my main focus. The lower volume has helped me in the strength and recovery department. give us the details im interested in this training, set-rep range warmups THANKS.

Dia-Tribe
03-05-2005, 02:19 PM
I've been doing abbreviated training based on the book Beyond Brawn which is similar to Max-OT but even less volume. That works best for me. I've been on a 2 day split and I make progress every week which is my main focus. The lower volume has helped me in the strength and recovery department.

Ditto on the extra info if you could....

I'm currently on a 2 day split which seems to work for me but seemingly few others are using this split. I'd like to hear a little more if you could share.

thanks

Overload
03-05-2005, 05:39 PM
This is the workout I've been on now since the new year and it's working great. It's right out of the guideline of the book Beyond Brawn. Many would think it's not enough or that I'm just wasting my time but I'm in the best shape of my life at 42 because of the lowered volume and frequency. Making progress every single workout. Bottom line... to each his own ;)

Workout 1
-Leg Press
-Weighted Dips
-1 Arm DB Rows
-DB Side Laterals

Workout 2
-Trap Bar Deadlifts
-Parallel Grip Pullups
-Overhead Press
-Calf Raises

I do leg press because I workout at home and have no spotter or safety cage. Otherwise I would suggest to others that squats go in the place if leg presses. Plus I have 2 herniated discs so I have to be careful with having a bar on my back. Which is why I do trap bar deadlifts. Much friendlier on the back.

Sets are 2 to failure after anywhere from 2 - 4 progressive warmup sets. I normally do more warmups where I move more weight of course like leg presses and deadlifts. The only thing I don't go to failure on are the deadlifts.

Reps range from 6 - 12 and sometimes I do 20 reppers on the leg presses. It has a nice cardio effect plus will also build some size.

That's basically it. Simpe and very effective for me. I lift when I feel ready and I'm not tied to the calendar. So sometimes it's 2 days rest, sometimes 3.

Like I said, this has been the best routine I've been on and I've tried many, including lots of volume. I've always done 3 day splits and this is my first 2 day split and it's been lots of fun and will have me in the best shape for this summer :)

Here's where I'm at so far using this routine. ~12% BF, 5'8", 155lbs. So like I said, this works for me. What I don't like is when others tell me I'm wasting my time and there's no way I can grow working out twice a week for 30 minutes each session. Mainly referring to people outside the over 35 group ;)

Other people can workout for hours while I rest and grow :)

clive
03-05-2005, 07:16 PM
You’ve got it together Jay, without being agest I somehow think a lot of younger guys here over train, trying to hard and too long to get gains quickly.
You have found it’s not how much you workout it’s the intensity of the work out and resting between to give time for the body to recover and grow.
I workout an hour every other day and continue to make gains, I have the energy to do more but I know from experience it probably wouldn’t make a lot of difference.
Great progress, Well done!

Porky
03-05-2005, 07:27 PM

any pr is an awsome pr

great stuff

Overload
03-05-2005, 08:26 PM
I have the energy to do more but I know from experience it probably wouldn’t make a lot of difference.

Me too. I always feel like I should do more but when I have in the past I would burn out too quickly. That hardest part of my routines is to resist the temptation of doing more. The old "if this is working, more should work twice as fast" scenario. So far I've resisted that temptation and it's been working well.

BTW Clive, those parallel grip pullups felt great today. Very comfortable grip.

A.FreeRadical
03-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Me too. I always feel like I should do more but when I have in the past I would burn out too quickly. That hardest part of my routines is to resist the temptation of doing more. The old "if this is working, more should work twice as fast" scenario. So far I've resisted that temptation and it's been working well.

BTW Clive, those parallel grip pullups felt great today. Very comfortable grip.

You fellows are wise men. Keep resisting, recovering from an injury is lost time in the gym and lost muscles while you recouperate.

Parallel grip on pullups? What did I miss? ;)

aA.FreeRadical a
Visit my 8 week plan for 8% bf http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697

Dia-Tribe
03-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Overload...

Thanks for the info on Beyond Brawn..

When you said low volume you certainly meant it 30 min... can't argue with your results though... BTW great lat spread...

What sort of cardio do you do to complement the workout ?

Overload
03-05-2005, 10:02 PM
What sort of cardio do you do to complement the workout ?

Um, bowling? lol

I don't really do cardio at all. I take care of things through diet as I don't have much muscle to spare being such a light weight so I pass on the cardio. Plus I can't stand it :D

Thanks for the compliment on the back. One part that grows ok on me.

GameDayDog
03-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Um, bowling? lol I don't really do cardio at all. Plus I can't stand it :DDefinitely a man after my own heart.... hahahaha... What's up with the parallel gryp pull-ups tho... I was waiting to fynd out about them myself...

Peace..~G
Just started doing Wide-Gryp Pullups... Now I gotta do Parallel ones???

Overload
03-06-2005, 05:37 AM
What's up with the parallel gryp pull-ups tho... I was waiting to fynd out about them myself...

Just started doing Wide-Gryp Pullups... Now I gotta do Parallel ones???

I have dropped the wide grip pullups because they were starting to bother my shoulders as I was increasing the weight used. I started the parallel grip pullups with yesterdays workout. Very comfortable grip. Better on the wrists then pronated or supinated pullups. I definitely felt in a much stronger pulling position. I'll do them for a while going forward and see how I progress on them. I've been doing chinups since dropping the wide grip pullups, but the parallel was much better on the wrists as I've mentioned. My lats are feeling it this morning :)

This is what I rigged up at home to do parallel grip. Works real well and my tricep bar is not collecting dust any more.

GameDayDog
03-06-2005, 06:44 AM
I was on my way home from the gym and decyded to drop my wide gryp pullups too... I feel it completely in my shoulder... especially my ryght one which was injured playing in the outfield during my high school baseball days... For some reason, I was clueless what u were talking about but tonyght when I started reading your post, I thought.. "Ohhhh, where you have your hands facing each other!!!" .... hahaha... thx for the photo.. that definitely confirmed it... I gotta check the pullup machine to see if I have that hand grip position available at my gym... otherwyse, I'll have to find a set of monkey bars...

Peace..~G

A.FreeRadical
03-06-2005, 07:44 AM
This is what I rigged up at home to do parallel grip. Works real well and my tricep bar is not collecting dust any more.

So you are using the two bars in the center of the obround (hammer style grip) to do pullups?

aA.FreeRadical a
Visit my 8 week plan for 8% bf http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697

a1maverick
03-06-2005, 08:22 AM
I much prefer the hammer grip style pullup. Also better for us long waisted guys.

Overload
03-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Yep, using the 2 bars in the center. It's just the perfect spacing for me. Allows me to touch my chest to the bar for a nice contraction.

A.FreeRadical
03-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Yep, using the 2 bars in the center. It's just the perfect spacing for me. Allows me to touch my chest to the bar for a nice contraction.

Thanks for the explanation. I use something like that when I do pullups. It is straight bar with two handle grips that come out at 90 degrees to the straight bar. I don't know if you can picture that, but it is the same grip and spacing that you are using. Yes, this is much easier on my forearms and elbows.

Congrats on your pullup lifts. I am still working with body weight, but it is an awesome exercise for the back. My goal is to get to 5 sets of 8 pullups with bodyweight. Then I will try some weights.

aA.FreeRadical a

Overload
03-06-2005, 09:16 AM
My goal is to get to 5 sets of 8 pullups with bodyweight. Then I will try some weights.

I would try to add weight as soon as you can. 5 sets is tough so consider dropping that to 2 - 3 sets with weight. You'll grow better once you start adding more resistance IMO. Just a thought. If you can do about 12 reps on that first set with BW, it's time to add weight :)

A.FreeRadical
03-06-2005, 11:33 AM
I would try to add weight as soon as you can. 5 sets is tough so consider dropping that to 2 - 3 sets with weight. You'll grow better once you start adding more resistance IMO. Just a thought. If you can do about 12 reps on that first set with BW, it's time to add weight :)

You know, as I wrote that I was waiting for 5 sets, I thought to myself, why wait? You are right, my back responds to heavy weight and low reps, why should I be doing pullups any differently. (Maybe I have a gym class or an Army PT mentality. ;))

I'll try it next time. Thanks.

aA.FreeRadical a