PDA

View Full Version : PB bad?

rorouni777
03-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Hello all! One of my favorite meals is an apple w/1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter. But I recently read that high GI carbs like fructose coupled with fat can be extremely fattening? Anybody got any advice on this one?

ArmorForSleep80
03-01-2005, 12:55 PM
apples aren't high gi at all.

DJ Blaze
03-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Hello all! One of my favorite meals is an apple w/1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter. But I recently read that high GI carbs like fructose coupled with fat can be extremely fattening? Anybody got any advice on this one?
The PB and apple combo is NOT what makes that meal bad. What makes it bad is that there is NO PROTEIN!!!!!

Boridi
03-01-2005, 01:27 PM
pb has a significant amount of protein

MattM
03-01-2005, 02:12 PM
apples aren't high gi at all.

correct.. apples are low gi.

ImPumpingIron
03-01-2005, 02:38 PM
pb has a significant amount of protein

PB is a way to get healthy fats not for a source of protein (although it does has protein it has very little for its caloric intake, 8g per 210 cals).

KingOfChaos
03-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Apples are perhaps one of the best fruits you can eat while on a bodybuilding diet. I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, you may want to eat natural peanut butter...since the normal everyday kind often contains hydrogenated fats (Trans fats).

RipStone
03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Apples are a great source of carbs, don't worry about the frutose. PB(if its natural) is a great source of healthy(monosaturated) fats. However like someone mentioned an apple and pb is not a complete meal. You need to add a source of lean protein in order to make it a better meal.

BrooklynBound
03-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Apples are perhaps one of the best fruits you can eat while on a bodybuilding diet. I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, you may want to eat natural peanut butter...since the normal everyday kind often contains hydrogenated fats (Trans fats).

I ate two apples and 2 tbsp of peanuts for a meal and it has had be bloated for 4+ hours now.

rockstarsar
03-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Uh, no. Adding fat lowers the GI of a food. Not that apples were high to begin with, but yup. That article is mistaken or was misinterpreted.

gymaddict01
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM

APPLES AND PB IS AWSOME! everyone thinks its a weird combination but i loooveeee it and grew up eating it. pb is my daily healthy fats supply. and you surely cant go wrong with apples.

Pump that iron!
03-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I love how people get so worked up over fructose. :D

Ya gotta eat your fruits !

Chris_Seal
03-01-2005, 06:39 PM
I love how people get so worked up over fructose. :D

Ya gotta eat your fruits !

fruits are wonderful.....i wouldn't leave them out of a bulking or cutting diet completly.

Cc!
03-02-2005, 04:37 AM
While we are at it, would like to ask about the GI values between Red Apples and Green Apples. The nutrition data websites only have a classification for "apples" none for whether it is red, pink or green.

Does anyone know if they are really the same, in termd of GI or fructose?

Not particularly bothered by it but would be good to know.

Thanks!

saw14
03-02-2005, 06:40 AM
While we are at it, would like to ask about the GI values between Red Apples and Green Apples. The nutrition data websites only have a classification for "apples" none for whether it is red, pink or green.

Does anyone know if they are really the same, in termd of GI or fructose?

Not particularly bothered by it but would be good to know.

Thanks!
id assume its the same, if not then id say the granny smith may be a little less because its more sour then a red delicious. but really it doesnt matter at all, because the gi when it pertains to foods like fruits and veggies are irrelevant. youd have to eat a truckload just to illicit a substantial insulin spike plus be in a complete fasted state, plus only eat that carbohydrate rich food and not mix it with proteins, fats, and fiber. how often does that happen? umm...never most likely.