PDA

View Full Version : Niroc's First Time "Cutting" Thread

Niroc
03-01-2005, 05:34 AM
I've decided to keep an online journal to help motivate me and to also keep me in check. I'm totally new to this and will need some guidance, undoubtedly. I plan on listing daily workouts but not meals. I feel that will be too arduous for people to read and for me to list on a daily basis. Basically my diet will consist of 40P/40C/20F for a majority of the diet with a calorie range of: 2350kcal on workout days and 1750kcal on rest days. I will take some before pics later on today and will post new pics every 4wks or so to track my progress. I'm also going to monitor my weight/bf on a weekly basis and also post this info. For posterities sake I will be using a 1site test(Someone isn't always around to take the measurement for a 5site test) I feel this information should be accurate enough to monitor my progress albeit a 1 site test isn't that accurate alone but coupled with weekly weigh ins I feel will do fine to track fat loss. I am also going to try to get to a fitness center and have my BF% checked there in order to calibrate the difference of my readings. My meal plan will consist of 6 meals daily 2 of which will be pre/post WO shakes. The remainder of meals will consist of chicken/beef/seafood and low GI carbs, all fat will be from supplements(fish oil/flax oil) ,nuts and olive oil. I will also monitor my body measurements on a monthly basis in order to track my progress and hopefully to not lose size in certain areas. I'm sure I'm going too though.
BF: 20.3%
Mar 1 Stats
Height: 73"
BW: 242lbs
Neck: 17 1/4"
Shoulders: 59 1/2"
Chest: 50"
Bicep(flexed): 18"
Forearm(flexed): 13 1/4"
Waist: 41 3/4
Hips(around butt): 44 1/4"
Thigh: 25 1/2"
Calf: 15 1/2"
I have some running around to do but I'll post my pics and workout later. Today is a workout day so calories will be 2350 for the day. I'll be closlely monitoring my weight loss and will make adjustments to my daily caloric needs regularly. My goal is to lose 1-2lbs week and eventually achieve a BF between 10-12%. I'd like to minimize muscle loss along the way but I already know I will probably lose some but I've come to terms with it :D Once I'm done cutting I plan to maintain for a few months and come Sept. it's back to bulking but this time I will take it much slower. I put on too much weight too quickly and have to struggle with it now. I'd like to do a really lean bulk over a 6 month period next time. But again, both sides of this coin are new to me and I'm trying to learn my own limitations and strengths. I'd like this to go as smoothly as possible but without knowing my body well enough, I'm bound to make alot of mistakes.

Supplements: Fish oil, Flaxseed oil, Glutamine, Creatine, ZMA, Whey

Forgot to post my workout schedule:
(4day split) chest/tri,back/bi,shoulders/forearms,Legs,Rest
3day cardio 25min sessions on recumbant or treadmill low impact stuff gradually increases to 5-6 session week up to 45mins in length.

March 1, 2005 Pics:

GameDayDog
03-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Another one bytes the dust... Good luck man... we all make mystakes... they won't be long term mystakes... If u're doing somethyng wrong, I'm sure someone here will say somethyng...

That's all I can say... I can't wait to see who gets to be the smallest.. you or steve... on your mark.. get set... diet!

Peace..~G

fitnessman
03-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Good luck!

One thing though....Lowering the calories on rest days is bad idea.

Mark1T
03-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Hey Niroc,

You have the perfect foundation for an outstanding body. You have a good plan.

I'd like to see your workout whenever you get it posted.

Niroc
03-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Good luck!

Ok I wasn't sure on this so I'll just keep it the same as the rest. Thanks Fitty :)

Niroc
03-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey Niroc,

You have the perfect foundation for an outstanding body. You have a good plan.

I'd like to see your workout whenever you get it posted.
Thanks Mark we'll see how it works out. I know there's lots of muscle under there just need to let it out.

stahlhart
03-01-2005, 10:19 AM
The diet all appears to be in order, but for exercise I only see the mention of "workout" and "rest" days -- seems to me that if you were cutting, there wouldn't actually be very many "rest" days, because you'd be doing some sort of cardio at least 5-6 days per week, at least as many if not more days than you are strength training. Or are you combining cardio in with your workout?

I'm currently cutting, and have split cardio from strength training; stationary bike about 6 days per week, 45 minutes per session.

C.K.

A.FreeRadical
03-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Good luck!

Why do you say that, Fitty?

A.FreeRadical

fitnessman
03-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Why do you say that, Fitty?

A.FreeRadical

More repair of the body on rest days. 2350 calories is low enough for a 242lb man.

A.FreeRadical
03-01-2005, 11:49 AM
More repair of the body on rest days. 2350 calories is low enough for a 242lb man.

Ok, I see your point.

A.FreeRadical

Niroc
03-01-2005, 03:36 PM
The diet all appears to be in order, but for exercise I only see the mention of "workout" and "rest" days -- seems to me that if you were cutting, there wouldn't actually be very many "rest" days, because you'd be doing some sort of cardio at least 5-6 days per week, at least as many if not more days than you are strength training. Or are you combining cardio in with your workout?

I'm currently cutting, and have split cardio from strength training; stationary bike about 6 days per week, 45 minutes per session.

C.K.
I forgot to list my workout, I plan on working up my cardio to 5-6 days. I don't want to deadend myself right from the start doing cardio 6 days a week. I'll save the extra sessions for when my weight loss plateaus.

Niroc
03-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Went to the doctor earlier for my neck and he gave me some anti-inflam and muscle relaxants, I didn't get a chance to fill my script before my workout so I was in some pain today. Today was back/bi:
"V" bar pulldown 3x6x220
1arm b/o row 3x6x115
seated "V" bar row 3x6x220 felt light
Standing DB curls(alt) 2x6x75,1x4x75 these fried my bi's felt heavy
Preacher curl 3x6x100 felt light any curl with a bar hurts my wrists
25mins on recumbant 4.7mi stayed over 10mph through the program
I felt ok today but I wasn't into my workout, the pain was the culprit probably but my neck is feeling much better than it has been. I'm hoping to be pain free in a week or so. Overall was a decent workout, I'm going to switch 1 arm db rows with b/o bb rows next week. I haven't done them in awhile.

Hibiscus09
03-01-2005, 04:54 PM
I thought I posted here -- but I must have just read everything! LOL Anyway, Niroc -- I'm rooting you on!! Good luck to you in achieving your goals! :)

Niroc
03-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I thought I posted here -- but I must have just read everything! LOL Anyway, Niroc -- I'm rooting you on!! Good luck to you in achieving your goals! :)
Thanks alot Hibby I'm gonna be counting on you for guidance too!!!! :D

Niroc
03-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Just 2 for now:
By the way, I SUCK AT POSING :o

Original Poster
03-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Good Luck Niroc !
You have some good size already. Kick ass brother !

Niroc
03-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks Chi, I just noticed that it looks like I dumped in my undies :eek:

Hibiscus09
03-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Wow, you have tons of size! You need to give me lessons on how to lift heavier! :D Seriously, you look great already and you're really going to look fantastic once you finish this cutting phase. :)

Niroc
03-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I hope you aren't just saying that Hibby, you'd break my heart if it weren't true :)

Niroc
03-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Meal totals for today: 2,373 cal 234.5g Prot 224g Carb 62g Fat

GameDayDog
03-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Dayum Dave... is dat you??? Shyt.. u're huge.. hahahaha... U know how u get a mental picture of someone by reading their posts... even tho u've never actually seen what they look lyke... hahaha... was I wrong.. Geez.. u're a giant.. for you, I'll actually say the word.. Good luck with cutting... altho I prefer the giant look.. I'd probably uhm, trim, too... just for some freaky definition... Wow.. if you painted yourself green, you could sell vegetables...

Peace..~G

Capt. America
03-02-2005, 06:03 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't it be more sensible to switch to a 3-4 set 12-15 rep work-out while cutting? As massive as you are I would think that 1). It would raise your metabolism and burn excessive body fat. 2). increase endurance. 3). Add vascularity and "bring out" the striations and cuts. With your size and streangth you could still handle pretty heavy weights and keep your mass, you'd just be more cut and leaner. This has always worked well for me when I cut. I'll do a 5X5 in the fall and winter to bulk, then a 3-4 X15 in the Spring and summer to stay lean. This keeps my body fat at 10% or less year round. I would think that with your size and mass this would really "chisel" you.

Pump-n-stuff
03-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Dayum Dave... is dat you??? Shyt.. u're huge.. hahahaha... U know how u get a mental picture of someone by reading their posts... even tho u've never actually seen what they look lyke... hahaha... was I wrong.. Geez.. u're a giant.. for you, I'll actually say the word.. Good luck with cutting... altho I prefer the giant look.. I'd probably uhm, trim, too... just for some freaky definition... Wow.. if you painted yourself green, you could sell vegetables...

Peace..~G

No shizznit!!! I'm with you GameDay, my mental picture was no where close...ha,ha,ha. Niroc, you are friggin huge. Just a little cutting here and a little cut there....BAM!!!! You will be there! Good luck.....lookin good.

fitnessman
03-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Great size on the shoulders!

Mr. Someday
03-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Man Niroc I thought I was looking at a slightly leaner version of myself last January (2004)!! No matter how heavy I got, my shoulders were always very noticeable...definitely a trait of yours! Way to go man! Huge shoulders go a LONG way to making a great physique!

It is definitely time for you to cut. I like your plan of ramping up the cardio, you need to keep throwing something new at your body every couple of weeks in order to keep the metabolism stoked and the body guessing. You may want to cut the carbs down a ways in to this a few days/week when your fat loss slows. You'll learn along the way what your body does and doesn't respond well to.

As far as the bf% goes, your guestimate probably isn't that far off, but calipers are innacurate to begin with and one-point tests are even more innacurate as anyone who drops weight will tell you some areas it will come off quickly and other areas almost not at all until deep into the cut. Take pics every two weeks and match them up side-by-side....try and keep the same lighting, same pose....this will be far more helpful in gauging fat loss and progression than bf testing.

Hibiscus09
03-02-2005, 09:14 AM
As far as the bf% goes, your guestimate probably isn't that far off, but calipers are innacurate to begin with and one-point tests are even more innacurate as anyone who drops weight will tell you some areas it will come off quickly and other areas almost not at all until deep into the cut. Take pics every two weeks and match them up side-by-side....try and keep the same lighting, same pose....this will be far more helpful in gauging fat loss and progression than bf testing.

That's exactly what I said to him via PM. We must be too smart for our own good. :D

other areas almost not at all until deep into the cut.

I'm sure that will be the case for my ass and thighs. :rolleyes:

Niroc
03-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Today was shoulders/forearms, my neck wasn't bothering me too much when I started but by the time I got to shrugs it was screaming at me.

Side Laterals 3x6x55
Military Press(front) 2x5x225,1x4x225
Upright Row(to nipple) 2x6x155,1x5x155
CG BB Shrugs 2x8x350
Incline Shrugs Skipped these, neck was throbbing
Behind Back Wrist Curl 2x6x185 (felt awkward,not sure i was getting full reps)
Rev Wrist Curl BB 2x6x75
Weighted Cable Crunch 3x20x80

I don't normally do wrist exercises but recently started a few weeks ago, I'm still trying to find the right exercises for me and the right weights. I will probably stick with DB exercises from now on, I feel too awkward with the BB.
I didn't get even 1 min of sleep last night, but managed to get a nap earlier this morning for 2 hrs. My neck was keeping me up last night. It did affect my workout today, but I managed to keep focused through most of it. Overall was a decent workout, my delt really felt "worked" when I was done. I also have ZERO appetite today, probably because of the meds I'm on for pain(which don't really work all that well anyway) I have a monster ice pack on my neck right now and that seems to be the most effective pain relief so far.

Niroc
03-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Before I forget, I just want to thank everyone for all the kind words and encouragemnet.
Dave

Niroc
03-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't it be more sensible to switch to a 3-4 set 12-15 rep work-out while cutting? As massive as you are I would think that 1). It would raise your metabolism and burn excessive body fat. 2). increase endurance. 3). Add vascularity and "bring out" the striations and cuts. With your size and streangth you could still handle pretty heavy weights and keep your mass, you'd just be more cut and leaner. This has always worked well for me when I cut. I'll do a 5X5 in the fall and winter to bulk, then a 3-4 X15 in the Spring and summer to stay lean. This keeps my body fat at 10% or less year round. I would think that with your size and mass this would really "chisel" you.

I asked around quite a bit because I had the same thoughts about it, I've heard it being done both ways but the best explanation I got was, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" So since this is my first time cutting, I'll stick with my basic routine and see how things progess. If I feel I need to change it up, I surely will but at this moment I am totally in the dark with regards of what to expect from my body, so I'll just take it one step at a time. I'm still learning how my body responds to all of this and it's going to take some time to understand how it reacts to different types of training. Thanks for the heads up Capt. we'll see what happens, I still have plenty of time to make adjustments.
Dave

Niroc
03-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Calories for yesterday: 2752cal 278g Prot 281g Carb 58g Fat
Not sure where the extra calories came from, I guess I ate more t han I thought. I still have a calorie deficit though. Over the weekend I'm going to devise a meal plan that's a little more clear cut. Today is legs and I'm feeling pretty tired already. These are they days I usually have killer workouts too. The days when I'm feeling tired and unenthusiastic.

Niroc
03-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Legs:
Squats 2x6x315,1x5x315
Lunges 3x6x45 DB these were first time for me and were much harder than I thought they'd be but definitely a good exercise
SLDL 1x6x350,1x5x350 lost my grip last set
Standing Calf 3x10x350

Pretty good workout, I'll have to work on performing the lunges correctly, I felt a little awkard doing them.

Niroc
03-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Friday was a day of rest, no cardio or abs I just really needed to recoop, today is Chest/tri and the rest did me some good. My meals for last 2 days:
Mar 3: 2600cal, 265g Pro, 248g Car, 52g Fat
Mar 4: 2536cal, 238g Pro, 292g Car, 48g Fat
I noticed my macronutrients aren't totalling to exactly the amt of calories I have recorded, I'll assume there is some variables in this
Going to work on my meal plan over the weekend to stabilize my daily calories, I'm pretty much just keeping track in my head and not totalling throughout the day. I've been pretty close to staying on target so it's no sweat.

rdelaney44
03-05-2005, 02:00 PM
niroc - good luck - our numbers are very similar. I am a lot shorter - I'm only 5' 9", but I weigh about 250. Our numbers look really close on the weights too. I too am cutting - I was 292 in November, I stopped cutting for a few weeks, but am starting up again. One thing to keep in mind - If you start to stall on your weight loss, up your calories - to me they seem low - I went too low for awhile and my body went into survival mode and I stopped losing. Right now at 250, I'm getting 3000 per day. I know its unique for everyone, but just keep it in mind if you start to stall. A food diary helps so much - my mentor (most muscular) gave me a template -- with columns for fat, carbs, cals, and protein. Its so much easier when its all written in black and white in front of you. I used a 45%p/40%c/15%f ratio up to this point - I try to get as close as I can to my calories each day and when looking for extra calories, I always error on the side of extra protein. I am going to considerably up my cardio for the next month, so I'm going to shoot for around 400 g protein and hope it helps me hold onto muscle - OK - enough rambling - best of luck - I look forward to your progress pics

Hibiscus09
03-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Are you keeping up with your macronutrients on fitday? I noticed it's a little off at times from 4 calories per carb.

Niroc
03-05-2005, 02:46 PM
niroc - good luck - our numbers are very similar. I am a lot shorter - I'm only 5' 9", but I weigh about 250. Our numbers look really close on the weights too. I too am cutting - I was 292 in November, I stopped cutting for a few weeks, but am starting up again. One thing to keep in mind - If you start to stall on your weight loss, up your calories - to me they seem low - I went too low for awhile and my body went into survival mode and I stopped losing. Right now at 250, I'm getting 3000 per day. I know its unique for everyone, but just keep it in mind if you start to stall. A food diary helps so much - my mentor (most muscular) gave me a template -- with columns for fat, carbs, cals, and protein. Its so much easier when its all written in black and white in front of you. I used a 45%p/40%c/15%f ratio up to this point - I try to get as close as I can to my calories each day and when looking for extra calories, I always error on the side of extra protein. I am going to considerably up my cardio for the next month, so I'm going to shoot for around 400 g protein and hope it helps me hold onto muscle - OK - enough rambling - best of luck - I look forward to your progress pics

Thanks for the advice, I'm just trying to get the feel for my body at the moment. I have been keeping a food diary and I think this will prove to be an invaluable tool not only during this cut but future ones as well. I will definitely be keeping a careful eye. Thanks for the heads up.

Niroc
03-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Are you keeping up with your macronutrients on fitday? I noticed it's a little off at times from 4 calories per carb.
No HIbby, just been multiplying my macro totals to see if they matched up with my calorie counts. I'm sure there is going to be some give and take and I'm going to just keep using my calorie totals vs my macros. They've been consistently totalling higher than macros for each day. So if this is the trend, I'll just stick with the calories and see how it goes for a few weeks.

Niroc
03-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Chest/tri/abs/cardio

Incline: 1x5x245,1x4x245,1x5x225
Flat: 1x3x275,1x4x255,1x5x255<--go figure on this
Inc fly: 2x6x75
CG bench: 1x5x225,1x4x225,1x5x205
Pushdowns: 3x8x100
Cable crunch: 2x25x80
25mins on recumbant 5.1mi. HR138-142bpm

My numbers are down from last chest day, I don't think it could be constricted calories affecting me already, at least I hope not. It's only been a few days anyway. Even though I was down some, I did have a really good workout. I didn't let it play head games with me. I was wrecked after cardio but rebouded pretty fast after I had my shake.

Dia-Tribe
03-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Niroc...

Your goin' strong and as the sayin goes.. when the goin gets tough the tough get goin'

I'm keepin' a close I on your progress our body stats as they are similiar -
give a few inches on those massive shoulders (young punk..)
But I've got you covered on the waist.. at the moment.

I'd like to see the results, particularly in that you stickin' to a more conventional rountine and supps etc.

There' a whole bunch of guys here given encouragement... and I'm sure we all know what you mean when you say "the days I usually have killer workouts [are]the days when I'm feeling tired and unenthusiastic."

Ain't that the pits... BUT you will drag your way through and draw on every inspiration you can to conquer it. Power to he that tryeth.

Good luck man..

Niroc
03-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Niroc...

Your goin' strong and as the sayin goes.. when the goin gets tough the tough get goin'

I'm keepin' a close I on your progress our body stats as they are similiar -
give a few inches on those massive shoulders (young punk..)
But I've got you covered on the waist.. at the moment.

I'd like to see the results, particularly in that you stickin' to a more conventional rountine and supps etc.

There' a whole bunch of guys here given encouragement... and I'm sure we all know what you mean when you say "the days I usually have killer workouts [are]the days when I'm feeling tired and unenthusiastic."

Ain't that the pits... BUT you will drag your way through and draw on every inspiration you can to conquer it. Power to he that tryeth.

Good luck man..

Thanks Dia-tribe :D The shoulders fortunately are genetic but I was cursed with some high,dinky ass calves :( j/k they don't bother me that much since they are in back I just pretend they don't exist. I'm hoping for the best on this one too, but I am anticipating problems along the way and I will make any adjustments to stay on track. Currently I'm having late night munchies and I think this may be a major problem to overcome in the long run. Going food shopping tomorrow probably gonna stock up with lots of horse feed :)

GameDayDog
03-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Chest/tri/abs/cardio

I was wrecked after cardio but rebouded pretty fast after I had my shake.Hey D... The way I understand it.. You should take your protein shake after your workout but before the cardio...

Peace..~G
Styll Got My Eyes On Ya Thread...

A.FreeRadical
03-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Hey D... The way I understand it.. You should take your protein shake after your workout but before the cardio...

Peace..~G
Styll Got My Eyes On Ya Thread...

I workout for an hour, then I do 20 minutes cardio. In that case, I have my shake when I get home. If I workout for an hour and then go to an exercise class an hour later, I take my protein shake between the workout and the class.

We are looking to get the pwo shake in within a 3 hour window of finishing our workout. Of course, sooner is better, but I don't worry about an extra 20 minutes. That much time is not worth bringing up a shake on the treadmill. ;)

aA.FreeRadical a
Visit my 8 week plan for 8% bf http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697

GameDayDog
03-06-2005, 12:51 AM
hahaha.. Of course, I don't do cardio (yuck)... I can barely believe I'm typing it... but we're only talking 12-16 ounces of water/shake... If you have a shaker bottle.. I wouldn't imagine it's that hard to fynish lifting... gulp down a shake then do some cardio.. (yuck).. unless doing cardio (yuck) after his shake upsets his stomach... but if he's drynkin' water during his workout.. that shouldn't be a problem either... but I mean.. U do have experience on the subject... I'll be the fyrst to admit I've never (yuck) u know.. did that stuff.

I remember comments from thys thread... where it seemed we agreed that a protein shake should be drank, drunk, drunked, dranked, drinkded :) after the workout but before the cardio... (yuck)
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=416536

I dunno... I would say one would have to try both methods to see what works best for them... but everyone responds differently so that's not a surefyre problem solver either... I'm aware that there's a window to take a PWO shake... with 3 hours to spare, U myght, probably, could be, a little bit ryght...

Peace..~G
No Cardio Experience...

Dia-Tribe
03-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Chest/tri/abs/cardio
25mins on recumbant 5.1mi. HR138-142bpm
I was wrecked after cardio but rebouded pretty fast after I had my shake.

Niroc .. I used to do cardio after weights except leg days and felt stuffed.
Good but stuffed.

I decided to move cardio to my off days. Now I can put more into the cardio
and not feel as burnt after my weights. Just a thought.

This is a controversial point and there are many opinions but this is what finally convinced me to move it.

Sorry about the length but I can't find the original post-

QUESTION
Hello All, I was looking for some information about cardio and found something even more interesting, to me. I've been hearing that its BEST do to cardio AT LEAST 6-8 hours BEFORE/AFTER weight training. Is this true, if so why?
FYI, i was doing a 5 day split w/cardio for 30min IMMEDIATLEY AFTER my training. OBVIOUSLY, I'm trying to lose weight. Will I have better results, if I had my cardio session by itself w/o weight training?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REPLY 1
asked this question and another to one of the research doctors from Johns Hopkins that I work with, here's the answer....

"Yes there have been studies but the question you are asking is a secondary outcome to another question-when you do cardio first you are using up all your glycogen stores-the fuel use for moving weight -ie: anaerobic exercise –you must have a high cardio fitness level ie very high lactate threshold to go straight into oxidative metabolism when you do cardio-remember you body uses aerobic and anaerobic fuel together –its kind of like a dimmer switch-the higher the intensity the more you move toward the anaerobic side-I avoid anything more then walking on heavy lifting day to maintain my glycogen levels

About lifting on an empty stomach-it depends on what you are trying to accomplish –you will surely burn more calories after the workout if you have a empty stomach but remember you only have a limited time that your body can replenish the glycogen stores after a workout –after about two hours the cells refuse to accept glucose—which would make it difficult to work out 2 days in a row"
NSCA member currently working on a research grant funded by the National Institute of Health. Former NCAA D-1 athlete in football at the University of Kansas now playing semi-pro football. I also use and train with the Frappier Acceleration program.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REPLY 2
From what I know, there are two times where you burn 300% more fat through cardio: when you first wake up, and right after lifting, because like someone else noted, your glycogen stores and depleted and there is no glucose in your bloodstream. If you do cardio at either of those times your body will go right for your fat deposits, assuming you're doing cardio correctly. (65-75% of max heart rate.)

However, I shy away from cardio after a workout because you should never work your muscles out for more than one hour. The most beneficial time in weight-lifting is the first hour you lift; afterwards, I'm of the mind that you're wasting your time. Don't get me wrong: that hour should be absolutely intense and you should feel dizzy afterwards, but any longer and you're not accomplishing much else. But the thing is, you want to eat something the second you stop lifting. The earlier you do this, the better, because that's the one time that your body is going to send everything you give it right towards repair. So what I do is rush home after lifting and drink a protein shake within at least 20 minutes of finishing my routine, and then 45 minutes later I try to have a small meal.

I save cardio for my off days: wake up in the morning and before you eat anything, do some light jogging or biking. 20 to 30 minutes is more than enough.

Andrew69
03-06-2005, 04:00 AM
Damn Niroc,
You one big mofo!
I wish I had that much muscle under all my blubber :)

We are looking to get the pwo shake in within a 3 hour window of finishing our workout.
Sorry mate, totally disagree with you one this one.
Three hours is waaay too late. You might as well forget about it at this stage on go straight to your PWO meal.

Have a read of the this study.

Timing of postexercise protein intake is important for muscle hypertrophy with resistance training in elderly humans.

Esmarck B, Andersen JL, Olsen S, Richter EA, Mizuno M, Kjaer M.

Sports Medicine Research Unit, Bispebjerg Hospital, Denmark. bep01@bbh.hosp.dk

1. Age-associated loss of skeletal muscle mass and strength can partly be counteracted by resistance training, causing a net synthesis of muscular proteins. Protein synthesis is influenced synergistically by postexercise amino acid supplementation, but the importance of the timing of protein intake remains unresolved. 2. The study investigated the importance of immediate (P0) or delayed (P2) intake of an oral protein supplement upon muscle hypertrophy and strength over a period of resistance training in elderly males. 3. Thirteen men (age, 74 +/- 1 years; body mass index (BMI), 25 +/- 1 kg m(-2) (means +/- S.E.M.)) completed a 12 week resistance training programme (3 times per week) receiving oral protein in liquid form (10 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat) immediately after (P0) or 2 h after (P2) each training session. Muscle hypertrophy was evaluated by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and from muscle biopsies and muscle strength was determined using dynamic and isokinetic strength measurements. Body composition was determined from dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) and food records were obtained over 4 days. The plasma insulin response to protein supplementation was also determined. 4. In response to training, the cross-sectional area of m. quadriceps femoris (54.6 +/- 0.5 to 58.3 +/- 0.5 cm(2)) and mean fibre area (4047 +/- 320 to 5019 +/- 615 microm(2)) increased in the P0 group, whereas no significant increase was observed in P2. For P0 both dynamic and isokinetic strength increased, by 46 and 15 %, respectively (P < 0.05), whereas P2 only improved in dynamic strength, by 36 % (P < 0.05). No differences in glucose or insulin response were observed between protein intake at 0 and 2 h postexercise. 5. We conclude that early intake of an oral protein supplement after resistance training is important for the development of hypertrophy in skeletal muscle of elderly men in response to resistance training.

PMID: 11507179 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Sorry for the temporary highjack Niroc!

Hibiscus09
03-06-2005, 06:09 AM
j/k they don't bother me that much since they are in back I just pretend they don't exist.

Same way I deal with my big ass. :D

Happy Sunday!! :)

GameDayDog
03-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Hibby set herself up with that last comment.. but I'm gonna behave... before Brian hunts me down using my IP address...

Meanwhyle... Sorry for the thread hijack, too.. but we are just tryin' to help you out...

Peace..~G

Mr. Someday
03-06-2005, 08:12 AM
People need to keep in mind Niroc is trying to cut, as if he were preparing for a show even though he isn't. The two best times for cardio for OPTIMUM fat burning are morning on an empty stomach and immediately following a workout, no food in between. Other points during the year I always pound a shake before I do cardio, but not right now.

Niroc - as far as the late night munchies are concerned, there is nothing wrong with having a carbless meal late at night....food is a good thing. I usually have a dozen egg whites scrambled with a little Red Hot or ff cheese or just my usuall ff ground turkey w/ Red Hot. Fibrous carbs, like broc**** are ok, but nothing else for carbs. I can also eat all the pickles and sugar free Jello I want during the day, so I may snack on those as well.

GameDayDog
03-06-2005, 09:37 AM
There ya have it... even tho I was wrong.. hehehe... If Mr. S. said it.. it works for me... However.. if you were cutting lyke you "weren't" getting ready for a show.. then the protein shake would be fyne... between working out and cardio sessions.. :) I need a pic of Dave & Mr. S. syde by syde.. freakin' giants...

Dave at 242 ... Mr. S at 239... Eat your heart out ladies... Send cash if it becomes your screensaver.. :)

Peace..~G
Another reason y I don't do that stuff...

Niroc
03-06-2005, 10:28 AM
[/b]

Same way I deal with my big ass. :D

Happy Sunday!! :)
I'm sure everyone else takes notice (wink,wink) :D
By the way, I am a bootay man myself!!!!!!! My girlfriend is glad I am too :)

Niroc
03-06-2005, 10:35 AM
People need to keep in mind Niroc is trying to cut, as if he were preparing for a show even though he isn't. The two best times for cardio for OPTIMUM fat burning are morning on an empty stomach and immediately following a workout, no food in between. Other points during the year I always pound a shake before I do cardio, but not right now.

Niroc - as far as the late night munchies are concerned, there is nothing wrong with having a carbless meal late at night....food is a good thing. I usually have a dozen egg whites scrambled with a little Red Hot or ff cheese or just my usuall ff ground turkey w/ Red Hot. Fibrous carbs, like broc**** are ok, but nothing else for carbs. I can also eat all the pickles and sugar free Jello I want during the day, so I may snack on those as well.

Yeah I wasn't so sure on late night snacking, but I know it's going to get worse as I go on. Thanks for the ideas. I have a feeling sugar free jello is gonna be my new best friend :) I love broccolli too so I'll be sure to have plenty of that on hand.
As far as the cardio goes, it just made more sense to do it after glycogen was depleted. If I did it seperate or 8 hours apart wouldn't I have to burn through my glycogen stores before I started to burn fat again? That would take like 20-30mins? correct me if I'm wrong. When I amp up my cardio to 5-6days a week, I'll be doing it in the A.M. as you suggest. This was a habit of mine last spring and I actually enjoyed it during the morning. I have a question though. Do you need to add mins onto your cardio workout in the A.M. ? I know you are on an empty stomach but wouldn't your muscles be loaded up and ready for action. Previously I'd add about an extra 20 mins to A.M. cardio and I'm sure this wouldn't hurt either way. I'm just curious for my own knowledge.
Thanks MR.S.
Dave

Niroc
03-06-2005, 10:37 AM
There ya have it... even tho I was wrong.. hehehe... If Mr. S. said it.. it works for me... However.. if you were cutting lyke you "weren't" getting ready for a show.. then the protein shake would be fyne... between working out and cardio sessions.. :) I need a pic of Dave & Mr. S. syde by syde.. freakin' giants...

Dave at 242 ... Mr. S at 239... Eat your heart out ladies... Send cash if it becomes your screensaver.. :)

Peace..~G
Another reason y I don't do that stuff...
G you are so funny man!! :D
Don't worry just saying Ca Ca Cardio won't burn any calories. Trust me on this one, feel free to say it all you want :)

Niroc
03-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Mar 5 totals:
2680 cals, 202 Pro, 358 Car, 56.5 Fat
Everyone had pasta for dinner and I couldn't resist, in fact I had to have seconds. I still haven't worked on my meal plan and feel guilty about it for some reason, even though I know it should only take me an hour or so. It's back/bi day and I'm going to try and hit it really hard today. I'm also going to finish that damn meal plan and then do some food shopping. Everything is feeling like a chore today. On top of it all, I have to sit and watch my niece eating nerd ropes and guzzling gallons of mountain dew, then she'll have a snack of chips and maybe a pop tart. Get this, then she says, "I'm hungry, can you make me something to eat?" So it's grilled cheese, more chips and some soup. The kid has hollow legs I swear, she's 15 about 5'6" 145lbs. I remember those days :)

GameDayDog
03-06-2005, 11:08 AM
15??? Man, you should take the light bulb out of her EZ Bake Oven and put it in the kytchen... hahaha.. 15 years old... ... Whenever I asked my popz to do somethyng for me.. he would say.. "What's the matter your (legs, arms, etc.) broke?" Never the less, I became very independant... :) I thought about him constantly when I was injured in Dallas, TX... At 27, it was the fyrst broken anythyng I've ever had... I would've loved to have been able to say "Yes".. just once to that question...

Peace..~G
R.I.P. Popz..

Niroc
03-06-2005, 12:42 PM
15??? Man, you should take the light bulb out of her EZ Bake Oven and put it in the kytchen... hahaha.. 15 years old... ... Whenever I asked my popz to do somethyng for me.. he would say.. "What's the matter your (legs, arms, etc.) broke?" Never the less, I became very independant... :) I thought about him constantly when I was injured in Dallas, TX... At 27, it was the fyrst broken anythyng I've ever had... I would've loved to have been able to say "Yes".. just once to that question...

Peace..~G
R.I.P. Popz..
She's spoiled, what can I say? :) I hear you too G, my parents are both passed. My mom was most recent back on 2003. I was pretty wrecked over the last 6yrs I'm finally getting past all of that now thankfully.

Niroc
03-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Back/Bi:
V bar pulls: 3x6x220
T bar rows: 3x6x210 <---Haven't done these in awhile, felt good so I'm gonna keep in routine for a bit
Seated V bar row: 3x6x230
Cheat curls: 3x6x135
Alt standing DB: 1x4x75, 2x6x65
Had a great workout, my energy was high and my concentration was really good today. First time in a week or so since I've been "into" my workout. I felt really good before/during/after so I have zero complaints for today. :D Probably all those carbs I ate last night!!

Dia-Tribe
03-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Good to see your energies levels up again....
Keep up the good work.

As Mr S. says... gotta keep rememberin' your trying to cut, as if you were preparing for a show even though you ain't. Point taken...

Hibiscus09
03-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Great job, Niroc!! :)

Mr. Someday
03-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Probably all those carbs I ate last night!!

You're probably right, not to mention red sauces are usually loaded with sodium, so you were probably holding water today, which may make you look temporarily smoother, but also greatly assists strength.

Either way, don't you just love those workouts?! Those are the ones that keep you coming back for more!!

And Gameday.... I HIGHLY recommend you never do anything just because someone told you to! With the internet, there is always ways to find good solid information so that you can form your own opinion or understand fully why it is someone says what they do. I always try and get down to the source (studies, clinical facts, etc.) for many of the products I use or the foods I eat. Hell, I always shoot back emails to the guy I'm working with when I don't understand the science behind what it is he is recommending, and he always gets back to me with a full explanation (and he's the type you would simply listen to as he carries 275# on a 5'10" frame with abs during the offseason!!:eek: ). Knowledge is power my friend!

GameDayDog
03-07-2005, 01:38 AM
Thx Mr. S... I don't follow "everythyng" on the net... well, I'm styll waiting for the gold from that guy in Nigeria that I gave my checking and savings account info too, I'm sure that was on the level... but with other thyngs, such as lyfting.. there are some people who's advyce you will regard higher than others... You, Radical 1, Chi-Town, Hibby, Fitty - happen to rank higher in my book than others... Not saying I ignore everyone else's opinions... sometymes I'll see a question and wonder "Hmm.. I wonder what Mr. S. (etc) ... is gonna say about thys??" ... but lyke I told Steve a whyle ago... if you want to fyx a toilet you ask a plumber... You guys happen to be the people I feel are very knowledgeable in thys area (working out) ... I wysh I could give you guys advyce on cutting and being skynny.. but I didn't train to get thys way.. :D ... Thx again man... trust me, I'm a google expert.. I search & research everythyng... dat's how I found thys place... :)

Peace..~G
P.S. Bill Gates - I sent that e-mail to my mailing lyst, where's my check!!!

Niroc
03-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Mar 6 calories: 2408cal, 175g Pro, 280g Carb, 52.5g Fat oh and add 160 cals onto this, I forgot I ate 2 cookies last night around 1AM. Good thing that was all that was left in the bag :D

Today: Cardio/Abs
25mins recumbant 5.4mi HR 142bpm
Cable crunches: 3x20x80 (I refuse to do any oblique work, my waist is plenty wide now)
Was my first A.M. cardio session this year and it was hard to drag my ass downstairs, but once I started I really got into it. I forgot how good you feel after you do A.M. cardio. I feel like I'm on speed right now.

On a side note: I jumped on the scale this morning when I woke up and I was down 7lbs to 235 already. I'm assuming this is just water weight and bloat I'm losing? I can tell my abdomen doesn't feel so bloated anymore. Much easier to tie my shoes!! :D

Niroc
03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Great job, Niroc!! :)
Thanks Hibby :)

Niroc
03-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Good to see your energies levels up again....
Keep up the good work.

As Mr S. says... gotta keep rememberin' your trying to cut, as if you were preparing for a show even though you ain't. Point taken...
Thanks Dia-tribe :)

Niroc
03-07-2005, 09:36 AM
You're probably right, not to mention red sauces are usually loaded with sodium, so you were probably holding water today, which may make you look temporarily smoother, but also greatly assists strength.

Either way, don't you just love those workouts?! Those are the ones that keep you coming back for more!!

Now that you mention it, my knuckles were really tight and swollen the other day during my workout. No doubt, water retention. I don't feel as bloated as I had during the past few weeks though. It's a real bitch when you feel like that :(

GameDayDog
03-07-2005, 02:10 PM
I forgot I ate 2 cookies last night around 1AM. Good thing that was all that was left in the bag :DI laughed uncontrollably when I read thys... Man, I hate that... it's lyke leaving 3 oz of orange juice in the 96 oz container and setting it in the fridge... Just when u ready for a nyce glass of O.J. ... Surprise!!! A Sip!!! ...

The question is... When u ate the 2 cookies, did you feel "guilty"??? :D

Peace..~G
Hope Mr. S doesn't look at my new location.. I left the seated calf machine!!!

Niroc
03-08-2005, 05:56 AM
Mar 7 meal total: 2763cal, 230g Pro, 281g Carb, 66.25g Fat

1 week weigh in: 235lbs down 7lbs from 242 Mar 1. Must be water weight coming off right now. My calipers said I'm 19.2%BF which means if they are correct that I lost 2lbs of muscle. My LBM is 189 and last week it was 191. I'm not really that concerned with this right now, if it's a consistent decline then something is up, but I'm sure it could just be fluctuation. I have noticed that my protein intake is much lower than I had wanted, so I am going to drop some carb in favor of more protein. I'd like to be at 1g per lb or higher, rather be on the safe side right? Shoulder/forearms today and I'm feeling really tired but it's only 9AM :D

Niroc
03-08-2005, 05:59 AM
I laughed uncontrollably when I read thys... Man, I hate that... it's lyke leaving 3 oz of orange juice in the 96 oz container and setting it in the fridge... Just when u ready for a nyce glass of O.J. ... Surprise!!! A Sip!!! ...

The question is... When u ate the 2 cookies, did you feel "guilty"??? :D

Peace..~G
Hope Mr. S doesn't look at my new location.. I left the seated calf machine!!!
Never fails G, this is a daily occurence in my house :) Ain't that a bitch???

Hibiscus09
03-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Good morning, Niroc! :) I think you should have at least 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM, so it's wise to up your protein. I've been at 140 to 160 grams so far on my plan, and I certainly don't have that much LBM. :D

Minotaur
03-08-2005, 10:56 AM
I just stumbled into the thread and realized what a big boy Niroc is! :eek: You gots some big shoulders, and a great foundation. I am truly impressed.

Niroc
03-08-2005, 12:31 PM
I just stumbled into the thread and realized what a big boy Niroc is! :eek: You gots some big shoulders, and a great foundation. I am truly impressed.
Thanks Minotaur :) I'm also looking forward to seeing some pics of you when you cut down. I need some tatoos though :D

Minotaur
03-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Deal! :D

Niroc
03-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Shoulder/forearms:
Military (front) 1x5x224,1x4x225,1x3x225 lost some reps this week, if this keeps up I'll be dropping some plates I guess
Front laterals 3x6x55
Upright row 3x6x155
Behind back shrug 3x10x300 first time trying these, I like them so they'll stay for awhile
Rev Ez curl 3x8x100
DB wrist curl 3x10x55

Not sure what kind of workout it was, I had my moments good and bad. Any wrist exercise causes severe pain but I need to train them. I haven't found a good routine for them yet. I've had several broken wrists on both hands, I've wrecked alot of motorcycles and bicycles. I'll keep at it though. I felt very tired during my workout, but once I had my pwo shake I felt pretty good. I felt as if I had to really push myself today to complete my sets and I almost skipped doing forearms. Then something came to mind, "Consistency" Something I've been pretty good with maintaining and don't plan on starting to slack off now.

Hibiscus09
03-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Looks good, Niroc! :) I've never done wrist exercises. I do use gloves with wrist wraps. Perhaps your wrists need extra support given the abuse they've taken. :)

Mr. Someday
03-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Perhaps your wrists need extra support given the abuse they've taken. :)

God Hibby.....you just leave the door open for some great material at times!!!:D

Hibiscus09
03-08-2005, 03:07 PM
:D The worst I've ever put my foot in my mouth is when my boss had his writing extension out on his desk one day, and I said "I hate when you leave your thing out on the desk like that!" I had to leave the room once I realized what I said -- snorting and laughing the whole way. :D

Capt. America
03-09-2005, 05:46 AM
If you need tatoo's I'd highly recommend Accents in Ink located in Castle Shannon. They do the best ink work in Pgh. Also they are VERY clean.

GREENFEATHER
03-09-2005, 01:40 PM
You've got one hell of a foundation to start with bro. When I lost my weight last year, the night time munchies would strike occasionally. I'd eat a chicken breast of some eye roast and not worry about the carbs. If I took in 280 g of carbs like you, I'd blow up like the Michelin man in short order!! I'm looking into doing a slightly higher amount of carbs with biking this year just to see if I can do it. Maybe oatmeal for breakfast and some wild rice for the other 2 meals before noon, then back to keto after 12 pm, dunno. Guess I'll have to start a thread for that. Good luck and good medicine !

joed
03-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Niroc: wondering how your week went. The weather in Monroeville isn't holding you back is it?

GameDayDog
03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah.. the Gentle Giant disappeared... See what happens when you start cutting!!! ... :) ... Seriously, I hope he's all well and is able to return to the board soon..

Peace..~G

Niroc
03-15-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm still around :D I was having some computer problems and didn't feel like tackling them anytime soon but over the weekend I got things up and running again. I'm still on track and today was a weigh in day:
233lbs 19.2%BF lost another 2lbs from last week and it is becoming visible.
I'm just gonna list my workouts because nothing has really changed with my diet. I'm still consuming between 2400-2700 daily and yesterday I had a bit of a cheat day. I needed it though. I will list my workouts because I did change them somewhat. I've increased my rep range to 8, decreased my rest time between sets, slowed my cadence during sets and I'm really concentrating on my form. I was getting a little sloppy which is ok, but I figured I'd be better off not totally over-loading myself since I'm dieting. I've been losing strength steadily so I decided to change it up a bit. I didn't feel like I was getting good enough workouts with 4-6reps, almost felt like I couldn't keep my intensity levels high enough. This new way is working well, I'm able to really stay focused and keep my intensity up through my sets. I swear everything was just feeling so DAMN heavy.

Mar 9 LEGS
Squat: 1x5x315,1x6x315,1x5x315
Horizontal leg press(1legged): 3x6x240
SLDL: 1x6x300,1x5x350,1x6x350
Standing calf: 3x10x350

Mar 10 Cardio/abs
Recumbant bike 25mins 5.3mi. HR138bpm
Cable crunch: 3x20x80

Mar 11 CHEST/TRI
Flat: 1x6x275,1x5x275x1x4x275
Incline: 1x3x245,1x4x225,1x5x215
Pec Dec: 3x8x200
CG bench: 2x6x225,1x4x225
Pushdowns: 3x8x100

Mar 12 SKIPPED

Mar 13 BACK/BI
Pulldowns: 3x8x180
Smith B/O row: 3x8x155
Seated V bar row: 3x8x190
EZ Curl: 3x8x100
Alt Standing DB: 3x8x55

Mar 14 SHOULDERS/FOREARMS
Military(front): 2x8x185,1x7x185
Side laterals: 3x8x35
Upright rows: 3x8x135
BB shrug: 3x10x300
Rev EZ curl: 2x8x100,1x7x100
DB wrist curl: 3x8x55

My weights dropped quite a bit but my workouts feel so much better doing it this way now. I'm trying to not do any cheat reps during a set and I changed my rhythm to 2-3 now, before it was like a 1-2. I'm surprised at how much of a difference this made. Either way I'm feeling better about my workouts even though I've lost some strength. Today is leg day which should be interesting, I'll be working out in about 10 mins.

Niroc
03-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Mar 15 LEGS
Squat: 1x6x275,2x8x255
Horizontal leg press(1legged): 3x8x220
SLDL: 3x8x300
Recumbant bike: 25mins 5.3mi. HR142bpm

Wasn't really into at first when I started so I cranked up the music and got mad at myself. I ended up having a pretty good workout, I was totally soaked when I was done and had a hard time walking. The squats were dogging me today I couldn't believe how heavy 275# felt but I got over it. My SLDS's were pretty intense also but they felt really good once I was done. I think I might be mildly depressed because the winter is dragging on so long. Hopefully when spring rolls around I'll be able to rev it up some.

Hibiscus09
03-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Great job! Congrats on the 2lbs also. :) I'm so ready for spring also! We had 81 degrees and sunny on Sunday, then it went back to the 50s and raining. Today, we're at 60 and sunny, so feeling better. I'm ready for warm every day. :)

GameDayDog
03-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah Big Dave... Welcome Back man... At your syze u lost a visible 2 pounds??? If u seein' changes now.. I can't wait until the 6 week progress pics.. :D

Peace..~G

Niroc
03-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah Big Dave... Welcome Back man... At your syze u lost a visible 2 pounds??? If u seein' changes now.. I can't wait until the 6 week progress pics.. :D

Peace..~G
Hey G I was just checking out your pics on your thread. 25 my ass sounds about right LOL. You better be careful over there :D Looks like it's a blast though, how long you planning on staying there? Maybe I'll hook up with you this summer MUHAHAHA!!!!! As far as seeing changes, I caught a glimpse of a 2 pack in the mirror the other day nothing major yet. It's been a total of 9lbs so far and most of it I believe I lost in my mid section which is nice. If I could I would bag up those 9lbs and mail em' to ya so you can get a head start on your bulk :)

Niroc
03-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Mar 16 Cardio/Abs
Recumbant Bike: 25mins 5.3mi. HR124bpm<---my HR seems to be really low on days I do cardio in the A.M.
Treadmill: 16mins 4.0mph
Cable Crunches: 3x20x80

GameDayDog
03-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey.. just send whatever you can thys way.. I'll take any help I can get when it comes to bulking... I figure one day I'll probably look lyke thys..

Peace..~G
Hahaha.. I crack MYSELF up!!!

Mr. Someday
03-16-2005, 08:00 PM
As far as seeing changes, I caught a glimpse of a 2 pack in the mirror the other day nothing major yet. :)

Good work Dave! Was wondering if we had lost you to the pizza delivery man or something there!:D

The two pack thing is great, it's better than where I started. My son always told me how much he admired my 1-pack!!:D

And GameDay - nice job bulking! Now who has the tiny head though??!!:D

Original Poster
03-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Niroc,
You are doing great ! Keep it up.

You seem to have quite a tan on your face. You did not buy one of those home face tanners did you ? LOL ;)

A.FreeRadical
03-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Hey.. just send whatever you can thys way.. I'll take any help I can get when it comes to bulking... I figure one day I'll probably look lyke thys..

Peace..~G
Hahaha.. I crack MYSELF up!!!

Hahaha crack you up? I am pissing my pants as I am picturing the doupleganger to your pic. Only this one has Niroc's head and your body. Hahahahaha

aA.FreeRadical a
Visit my 8 week plan for 8% bf http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697

GameDayDog
03-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Hahaha.. I told ya... we insomniacs fynd the weirdest thyngs being sold with infomercials... just 103 easy payments of $9.99 ... but it was returned after the fyrst 21 days... :D

Mr. S. ... I don't have to worry about having a tiny head... my syster says I'm so in love with myself, people should mistake me for the Brain - (from Pinky & the Brain)

I'm gonna myss my syster... hopefully they never fynd the body. :)

Peace..~G

DiamondDelts
03-16-2005, 09:48 PM
I've decided to keep an online journal to help motivate me and to also keep me in check. I'm totally new to this and will need some guidance, undoubtedly. I plan on listing daily workouts but not meals. I feel that will be too arduous for people to read and for me to list on a daily basis. Basically my diet will consist of 40P/40C/20F for a majority of the diet with a calorie range of: 2350kcal on workout days and 1750kcal on rest days. I will take some before pics later on today and will post new pics every 4wks or so to track my progress. I'm also going to monitor my weight/bf on a weekly basis and also post this info. For posterities sake I will be using a 1site test(Someone isn't always around to take the measurement for a 5site test) I feel this information should be accurate enough to monitor my progress albeit a 1 site test isn't that accurate alone but coupled with weekly weigh ins I feel will do fine to track fat loss. I am also going to try to get to a fitness center and have my BF% checked there in order to calibrate the difference of my readings. My meal plan will consist of 6 meals daily 2 of which will be pre/post WO shakes. The remainder of meals will consist of chicken/beef/seafood and low GI carbs, all fat will be from supplements(fish oil/flax oil) ,nuts and olive oil. I will also monitor my body measurements on a monthly basis in order to track my progress and hopefully to not lose size in certain areas. I'm sure I'm going too though.
BF: 20.3%
Mar 1 Stats
Height: 73"
BW: 242lbs
Neck: 17 1/4"
Shoulders: 59 1/2"
Chest: 50"
Bicep(flexed): 18"
Forearm(flexed): 13 1/4"
Waist: 41 3/4
Hips(around butt): 44 1/4"
Thigh: 25 1/2"
Calf: 15 1/2"
I have some running around to do but I'll post my pics and workout later. Today is a workout day so calories will be 2350 for the day. I'll be closlely monitoring my weight loss and will make adjustments to my daily caloric needs regularly. My goal is to lose 1-2lbs week and eventually achieve a BF between 10-12%. I'd like to minimize muscle loss along the way but I already know I will probably lose some but I've come to terms with it :D Once I'm done cutting I plan to maintain for a few months and come Sept. it's back to bulking but this time I will take it much slower. I put on too much weight too quickly and have to struggle with it now. I'd like to do a really lean bulk over a 6 month period next time. But again, both sides of this coin are new to me and I'm trying to learn my own limitations and strengths. I'd like this to go as smoothly as possible but without knowing my body well enough, I'm bound to make alot of mistakes.

Supplements: Fish oil, Flaxseed oil, Glutamine, Creatine, ZMA, Whey

Forgot to post my workout schedule:
(4day split) chest/tri,back/bi,shoulders/forearms,Legs,Rest
3day cardio 25min sessions on recumbant or treadmill low impact stuff gradually increases to 5-6 session week up to 45mins in length.

March 1, 2005 Pics:

Got damn Niroc, you are one big, thick mofo. I had no idea you were packing that kind of size. Maybe I should be taking advice from you. Ha, ha.

But keep up the regimen big man, as said before you have an oustanding base to build a great physique from. I just wish I was blessed with your kind of thickness to build from. But we all have our hurdles to overcome. Good luck with your lifting and feel free to pm again whenever you feel like talking about bodybuilding.

Niroc
03-17-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks DD good to hear from you, your suggestions really worked great too. I had to give up doing lying laterals for awhile though, they were starting to cause some pain on the lower end of the movement but I managed to put 4 1/2 inches on my shoulders in about 3 months or so :D After this cut I'm going to concentrate on chest/legs, these are 2 bodyparts that have been lagging. I did manage to increase but not enough yet. Also my traps are still behind but the CG shrugs did help alot, finally got some seperation between delts/traps. I'm not so sure on how to continue but I'm not going to worry about it till after summer. Besides I ran out of plates and money so I was having a hard time loading up the bar for some exercises. After this summer I may have a new workout room, we're thinking of extending our basement 14'x28' and making it the new workout room. Also planning on some new equipment too. That'll be months away though. Anything new down in Austin? So if anyone disputes anything you say you can send em' to me!!! I'm another satisfied customer. I haven't browsed the exercise section in awhile, I thought you went on hiatus or something because I hadn't seen any posts from you in awhile.
Peace bro
Dave

Niroc
03-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Mar 17 2550 cal, 230g Pro
No workout today, did some running around

Niroc
03-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Mar 18 Chest/Tri/Cardio
Incline 3x8x205
Flat 2x8x225,1x8x205
Pec Dec 3x8x180<---been doing these because of shoulder pain
CG bench 3x8x185
Tri pushdown 3x8x80
Recumbant bike 25mins, 5.3mi. HR142bpm
Did my workout first thing in the A.M. Once again weights were down a bit but I had a really good workout regardless and got a great pump. When I woke up I had sleep lines all over my body so I must be retaining alot of water, didn't seem to help my strength any though. I'm not sure why my weights keep plummeting each workout, it's almost like I still have my strength but no stamina? Go figure, I'm not going to let it bother me though because I haven't lost any size that I can see. In fact my tri's looked bigger than ever after my workout today.

Niroc
03-20-2005, 03:09 AM
Mar 19 2600 cal, 230g Pro
Back/Bi/Cardio
Wide pulldown: 3x8x180
B/O BB row: 3x8x155
Seated V bar: 3x8x180
Ez Curl: 3x8x100
Alt DB curl: 3x8x50
Recumbant bike 25mins 5.3mi. HR124bpm

Did my workout first thing in the A.M. Felt a little stronger today but I didn't change my weights, I just concetrated on my form and keeping it nice and slow. I had a great back pump which is sometimes hard for me to get. I'd be doing pullups but I doubt I could do that many right now. Those always get my back pumped up. My cardio sessions are becoming easier and easier so I've been increasing the intensity over the last week. I think I'm going to bump up my session time and add an extra day this coming week. Over-all yesterday was a good day. Today will just be cardio/abs which I'm going to start in about 1/2 hour.

Niroc
03-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Mar 20 Cardio/abs
Recumbant bike: 30mins 6.3mi. I think HR132bpm
Treadmill: 15mins 1mi. 10%incline 4.0mph
Cable crunches: 3x20x80
Felt great before/during/after today which was good. I had alot of energy this morning and lately I've been looking forward to morning cardio sessions. They really get the day going.

Hibiscus09
03-20-2005, 07:15 AM
LOL, I prefer coffee or, well actually, something else for that Niroc! ;) :D Morning cardio may be a distanct 3rd.

Workouts are looking good. I think when cutting you can expect some strength loss or low energy days. Looks like you're doing fantastic anyway!!

I get those skin impressions pretty easily from socks, my workout leggings, or the sheets. I guess it makes sense that it's water retention -- just never thought about it. I hate when I get them on my face from having it smashed into the pillow. :D

Happy Sunday!

Original Poster
03-20-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm not sure why my weights keep plummeting each workout, it's almost like I still have my strength but no stamina? Go figure, I'm not going to let it bother me though because I haven't lost any size that I can see.

LOL.........it's called being at a caloric deficit. Glycogen depletion........think of it as having only a partially ful gas tank.

Like Hib said, cutting causes strength losses....at least for most of us. LOL

Anyway, Niroc......you are doing great...KEEP IT UP !

Mark1T
03-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Great going on the progress, Niroc. You've got it together, my friend.

Best,

Mark

Niroc
03-21-2005, 08:04 AM
I hate when I get them on my face from having it smashed into the pillow. :D

I am not even going to touch this one Hib :D Though I did get a good mental image :)

Niroc
03-21-2005, 08:08 AM
LOL.........it's called being at a caloric deficit. Glycogen depletion........think of it as having only a partially ful gas tank.

Like Hib said, cutting causes strength losses....at least for most of us. LOL

Anyway, Niroc......you are doing great...KEEP IT UP !
Yeah I figured as much but it was just a little disheartening to see them dropping every week. It's almost like watching a ship sink. LOL I'm trying to avoid getting caught up in the head games that go along with it. Thanks for the support Chi. I'm going to tune up my moutain bike this week, I think I can finally get some rides in. Temp is up in the low 50's. Really looking forward to taking my cardio sessions outside.

Niroc
03-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Great going on the progress, Niroc. You've got it together, my friend.

Best,

Mark
Thanks for the support Mark, hasn't been to bad yet but it's so early to tell.

Niroc
03-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Mar 20 Cals 2500, 220g Pro
This day was by far the worst day I've had as far as hunger pangs go. I was feeling hungry the entire day, even after I'd finish a meal I felt like eating. We went out shopping yesterday and I got one of those guiltless grills from Chilis it was chicken with rice and broccolli. Once I finished it I considered ordering another and our waitress had the audacity to ask if I wanted dessert!!!! I really had to fight not to cheat yesterday. (I did eat 3 chocolate eggs that night though)

Niroc
03-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Mar 21 Shoulders
Military: 3x8x185
Side laterals: 3x8x35
Upright rows: 3x8x135
Had to cut my workout short, I skipped shrugs and forearms had lots of things to get done today.

Original Poster
03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
No excuses now Niroc ! LOL

A few other things you may want to try for shoulders.

DB Arnold Presses and one of my favorites, that a good friend got me doing.....supersetting front, rear and side delt raises, talk about smokin the delts. I can't wait until my shoulder WO in about 9 hrs :)

Niroc
03-22-2005, 03:28 AM
No excuses now Niroc ! LOL

A few other things you may want to try for shoulders.

DB Arnold Presses and one of my favorites, that a good friend got me doing.....supersetting front, rear and side delt raises, talk about smokin the delts. I can't wait until my shoulder WO in about 9 hrs :)
My shoulder routine is long past a changeup, I've been doing the same exercises for 7-8 months now. I have considered adding some arnolds but I've never done them before. Maybe next shoulder day I'll do some experimenting. :)

Niroc
03-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Mar 22 3 week weigh in
230 lbs down a total of 12 lbs in 3wks, I've seemed to lose around 2 per week except for that first week which had to be bloat. My BF is 17.7% LBM 189 which is the same as last week. I can finally see my numbers going in the right direction now.
2400 cals, 240g Pro yesterday, hunger didn't seem to be much of an issue. I had a doctor and dentist appointment and had some teeth drilled. This was surely an appetite suppressant :D took the novacaine over 4 hrs to wear off, he must have pumped me full of the stuff. My head was numb all the way over to my ear. Today will be legs

fitnessman
03-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Great work man!!! :D

Don't get too upset over the drop in WO weights. It is a head game that's for sure!

Original Poster
03-22-2005, 06:37 AM
My shoulder routine is long past a changeup, I've been doing the same exercises for 7-8 months now. I have considered adding some arnolds but I've never done them before. Maybe next shoulder day I'll do some experimenting. :)

I like arnolds over military presses with a stright bar because arnolds make you use those stablizers that a straight bar does not alow you to hit very well. Just start with a weight you can handle ad go up slowly. You need to strengthen the whole delt and rotator before going up to much in weight.

Niroc
03-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks Fitty
I will be trying these next shoulder WO Chi, I'll take your suggestions and keep it light for awhile, I don't need an injury right now. My right shoulder already gives me problems but through good form I've been able to stop any injuries to it this year so far. Been having problems with lower back and neck though. :D I guess it never fails.

Mar 22 Legs
Squat: 1x20x225<--- trying some 20 rep sets this was too light however
Horizontal leg press(1 leg): 3x8x240
SLDL: 3x8x300
Recumbant bike: 10 mins only
I felt great during my workout, my squats were too light but I got a great glute burn. I figured I'd try some cardio but only got 10 mins into it and become unbelievably nauseaus. I had a hard time getting down my PWO shake too.

Original Poster
03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
I figured I'd try some cardio but only got 10 mins into it and become unbelievably nauseaus.

After a kick ass leg WO, I can only do light cardio. Lately, I save my cardio for the evenings on leg day, if at all that day.

Isn't it great to be nauseaus and shaking when you are shooting down that PW shake. Me, I kind love that feeling, but then again I am a sick puppy ;).

Niroc
03-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Mar 23 Cardio/abs
Recumbant: 30mins 6.6mi HR128bpm
Treadmill: 15mins 1mi. 4mph 10%grade
Cable crunches: 3x20x80

Calories 2300, Pro 230g did some work yesterday and missed a meal, my meals were really screwed up because I wasn't prepared.

Mr. Someday
03-24-2005, 11:03 AM
because I wasn't prepared.

This is the biggest killer of a diet plan to me, not temptation. Someday and I were laughing about the 8 tardies my daughter had on her quarterly report card (alright I was laughing....she wasn't :D)....I refuse to leave the house until I have everything ready for the day. Supplements, meals, green tea, gym clothes, etc..

Oh, and when she's late, it's never more than a few minutes. I don't want anyone thinking I'm dropping her off an hour after school starts ever day!:D

Niroc
03-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Internet was screwed up again, had an Adelphia guy here yesterday and he changed the main line. Seems to work fine now. I've taken a few days off from lifting. After doing legs last, I started to get some sciatica pain down my leg and in my buttocks so before it got any worse, I decided to take a break from training. I'll probably start back tomorrow. I still have some slight pain but it seems to be getting better each day. I didn't want to get a full blown attack. Last time that happened, I was off for 3wks. I could barely walk. Diet has been the same just no workouts. I'll start out fresh tomorrow and probably take it easier on my leg day.

Niroc
03-26-2005, 08:56 AM
This is the biggest killer of a diet plan to me, not temptation. Someday and I were laughing about the 8 tardies my daughter had on her quarterly report card (alright I was laughing....she wasn't :D)....I refuse to leave the house until I have everything ready for the day. Supplements, meals, green tea, gym clothes, etc..

Oh, and when she's late, it's never more than a few minutes. I don't want anyone thinking I'm dropping her off an hour after school starts ever day!:D
I start a new job on Monday and it's going to test my preparation skills :) not sure how long my days are going to be yet. I'll probably just load up my cooler. Luckily the guy I'll be working with trains also. Maybe I'll get a workout partner out of it. He hadn't seen me since last summer and when he came over he commented on how big I had gotten :D

GameDayDog
03-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Congratz on the new jobbie job... Man, I'm rushing to type thys... when you read my thread for today u'll know why... hahaha.. I'm such a big kyd... :D ... sorry about your back pain... it's alwayz best to play it safe... I just feel so guilty with any type of unscheduled lay off... Take it easy big dawg!!

Peace..~G

Niroc
04-22-2005, 04:50 AM
Hey everyone, just stopped in to say hi. I'm basically off of my diet in terms of eating right but I'm still only getting in the area of 2000-2500 calories a day. This new job is pretty tough and doesn't allow me enough time to take care of things. I'm doing landscape construction and we've been working 10-12 hours everyday of the week. I was taking my lunch daily and packing good foods but I never had enough time to eat during the day. I'm probably only eating 2-3 large meals a day now but I'm continuing to lose weight. Currently at 218 and still making it to the gym 3 days a week. I've been going in the early morning which was a big switch but I actually like it. I'm pretty sure I've lost some muscle mass by eating this way but I'm starting to shape up slowly. My goals were for June so I still may be on track minus a few lbs of muscle. I have the next 3 days off so it will be a treat. Despite totally screwing up my BB goals this job does have a few plus sides. Now I'm training in a real gym instead of in my basement, the guy I work with goes with me in the A.M., and I already have a nice tan :) and it was free!!! My abs get a killer workout with all the digging that we do and hauling around 95# blocks all day is making my back stronger than ever. My weights have been pretty good despite the long hours and exhaustion. I'm hoping that in a few more weeks I'll be in a good rhythm with my job and working out. It's really been a big change from what I was used too but I think in the long run that things will be better. I hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been logging on at all because I've just been so whooped at the end of the day. I have been having some chronic problems with my arms. I think it's tendonitis. Both of my arms at the elbow are constantly aching, sometimes to the point where I want to go to the hospital. It's been this way for a few weeks and only starts to hurt after I lift any heavy weights. Well enough of this dribble. Good luck to everyone trying to achieve any goals.
Dave

Hibiscus09
04-22-2005, 04:55 AM
Hi Niroc! :) That job sounds like it would keep you in shape all on it's own and you'll probably lose weight being out in the heat so much. Drink plenty of water. I'm sorry about the tendonitis. I've had a touch of that in my inner left elbow and that crap burns when I lift heavy with a suppinated grip. It's really messing up my bicep workouts.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying your job. :)

Mr. Someday
04-22-2005, 05:09 AM
Good to hear from you Niroc! We miss having you around!

Don't let a change in schedule get in your way.....you know as well as I do that there is always time to prepare for the day...it just takes discipline. Seeing as your fellow workers may not appreciate you stopping every couple of hours to eat for 20-30 minutes, you may want to think about throwing some protein powder and maltodextrin in a baggie (say 50g of protein/50 g of carbs) and bring a few of these with you along with a shaker and a gallon of water. Although whole food is always better, this is by far the next best thing and would be super quick to make, drink and prepare in the morning. Malto is a complex carb...something it sounds like you need a little more of with that kind of physically demanding job on top of lifting. Keep us updated!

Original Poster
04-22-2005, 05:52 AM
Good to hear from you Niroc! We miss having you around!

Don't let a change in schedule get in your way.....you know as well as I do that there is always time to prepare for the day...it just takes discipline. Seeing as your fellow workers may not appreciate you stopping every couple of hours to eat for 20-30 minutes, you may want to think about throwing some protein powder and maltodextrin in a baggie (say 50g of protein/50 g of carbs) and bring a few of these with you along with a shaker and a gallon of water. Although whole food is always better, this is by far the next best thing and would be super quick to make, drink and prepare in the morning. Malto is a complex carb...something it sounds like you need a little more of with that kind of physically demanding job on top of lifting. Keep us updated!

I second what Steve said here.

Now get back at it...boy ;)

joed
04-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Been wondering where you were big guy.

Niroc
06-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Hey peeps, how's everything going. I'm still working like a madman 60-70+ hrs per week but we finally have a whole weekend off and next week a 3 day weekend. I've missed 3wks in the gym and my diet is for **** which makes me feel like ****. Not to mention I've been drinking like WAYYYYYY!!!!! too much lately and it's not helping the physique :) I've made a gameplan and after the 4th I'm going back at it full time again. If I have to quit my job so be it, but I'm starting to forget who I used to be. It's very amazing how drastically a job can change your life. I know it's no excuse but I suppose I'm weak willed when it comes down to it. Funny how I can stick to such a strict diet for months on end and now I'm a pushover for a Wendy's double with cheese. Anyway we got done working early today about 4:30PM, we usually start at 6:00 AM and work till 7 or 8 and it's taking it's toll. Lately weekend haven't been an option but I've decided I'm done working like a brushhog and that I'd rather be in shape. Chi would be proud, I dusted of my bike and got it road-worthy again and been doing little 5-8 mi. rides when I feel boisterous. I really miss keeping up on the gab in the forum but I'm usually so tanked by the time I get home. Winter is coming soon so I'm sure to be a permanent fixture again by Oct. Mr. S grats on all you've accomplished. You are like my role model. You've got your **** together and that's for sure. Maybe I just need a few more years and I'll figure it all out. I'm down to 222lbs and look like a waif. Well at least all my old shorts fit now :) Anyway, I'm gonna check out some threads and hope to talk to you all soon. So everyone, keep it up and don't do what I've been doing lately. Trust me it doesn't work
Peace all!!!!
Dave

joed
06-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Niroc. It's you. You're back! People've been askin' about ya. Been almost 2 mos since my last post in your thread; I know the weather's been lousy in Monroeville, but 2 mos?
Guess I understand tho, with that high payin' gig you're in, & spending 1/2 the big bucks on the sauce. Ah well, happens to everyone, time to time. Glad to hear from you.

Niroc
06-24-2005, 07:36 PM
1/2 on the sauce would be a slight understatement :) It has been so long since I posted and I wish I didn't get sucked into the whole construction (DRINKING) thing again. It is good to finally hear from someone who might actually understand me !!!!!!! :eek: Oh and BTW I do have one killer tan......... At least I've gotten something out of the deal. Work is over-rated no wonder I quit my business, I forget how being a boss sucks ass. Cept' now I'm not getting paid for it. My man boobs won't go away either (BLEH) not to go off topic but I just looked down LOL!!! they do look much better tan though :)

Mr. Someday
06-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Yo Dave!! Thought someone went grave-digging for a minute before I noticed it was you who posted in here.:D Glad to see you back. Thanks for the comps...it was fun (in a sick kind of way) and I'm getting back it when I get back from Vegas on Sunday.

Niroc
06-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Yo Dave!! Thought someone went grave-digging for a minute before I noticed it was you who posted in here.:D Glad to see you back. Thanks for the comps...it was fun (in a sick kind of way) and I'm getting back it when I get back from Vegas on Sunday.
HA one of my boys just flew back in today from VEGAS and I'm sure he's a broke ass too. I suppose I have to wait a few weeks to get the money he owes me :) . So good to hear from you Mr. S. You might even be proud of my man boobs!!! I honestly wish I knew how you did it all. I have a good idea of how your schedule was and can say that I would have never been able to do it. Mad props as my niece says :) Grave robbing is pretty close too. I'm almost a freaking skeleton now. I'd hate to take my measurements. I might commit hari-kari !!!!! BTW what was your final BF when you competed?? You looked pretty awesome. I actually bragged about you to some of my gym buddies. How is that for a gay moment????????????????????????

GameDayDog
06-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Wow... It's good to see you back Dave... hahaha.. I been keeping your flame alyve by dedicating certain posts and some workouts to your memory... :) .. Honestly... do a search for Niroc by GameDayDog ... :D ... Can't wait for you to get your ass back in shape and become a permanent fixture around here... It's gonna be party tyme for sure!!!

Peace..~G
My Thread's Almost 20 Pages Long!!! U Been Gone A Long Tyme!!!

Niroc
06-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow... It's good to see you back Dave... hahaha.. I been keeping your flame alyve by dedicating certain posts and some workouts to your memory... :) .. Honestly... do a search for Niroc by GameDayDog ... :D ... Can't wait for you to get your ass back in shape and become a permanent fixture around here... It's gonna be party tyme for sure!!!

Peace..~G
My Thread's Almost 20 Pages Long!!! U Been Gone A Long Tyme!!!
And best of all!!!!! He speaks.... I was hoping I'd be on when you were. I missed you bro. I have alot of catching up to do and hopefully I'll get some done this weekend. Weekends are inside days for me. So where exactlly are you living now and IS SHE LEGAL???????? HA HA HA you know I'm just teasing or am I ?? It's getting late and I need some ZZZZ's Been up since 5:30 and worked 10 hrs but the VODKA is going to my head now. SHHH after the 4th the drinking is gonna be done with and back to the weights, but it was fun while it lasted. I'll be in touch bro hope your bulking is going well. I'd like to see a lean mean 220lb GD someday :)

GameDayDog
06-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Hahaha.. Yeah man, I'm styll here bulking lyke a big dawg... I was up to 193... but then I got sick and dropped about 10 friggin pounds... I'm styll pissed about that.. but slowly & surely I'm climbing back up to my former 193 and hopefully beyond... 220... Yeah... that sounds dayum good!!!

They say alcohol slows down the bodies metabolism for 2 days... We myght have to do a before & after with your pics and tell people not to drynk!!

Peace..~G

jaguarr
06-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Welcome back, dude! Eat yourself fat on the 4th and then get your ass back in the gym! :D

jag

Hibiscus09
06-25-2005, 07:10 AM
I thought someone went digging also -- glad to see it's actually you!! :) We miss you! :)

Mr. Someday
06-25-2005, 02:34 PM
I have no measurement of my final bf #, but I had to be sub 5% as I was dry and grainy virtually everywhere. Conditioning was not my problem in Boston...it's lack of upper body thickness. I will try and rectify that over the fall and winter.

As far as my schedule goes, it's far easier for a desk jockey who can just about make his own hours when he needs to follow my routine...the rest is all discipline. Making meals ahead of time and always having them on you is the key to success IMO. I brought my cooler(s) everywhere and would crack open a meal during a board meeting if it was time!:D

Niroc
06-26-2005, 08:30 AM
That's pretty intense being sub 5%. I wish I had your determination and dedication. BTW HI HIBBY!!! you look great. Good luck with everything. I'm already starting to cook for the day and it's a far cry from my old diet :) I think I used half a pound of butter so far :eek: Only one week left to judgement day. Hopefully after the fouth I can get my lazy ass back to the gym and try to regiment my diet and exercise all the way through winter. I'll tell you what though, it is nice to eat some FATTY foods for a change. Hey GD I'll be sure to get back to you with PM tonight. I wanted to chat for a bit. Sorry about you getting sick at least you know you can put the weight on with some effort. I haven't checked out your thread yet. I HAD to go to a pool party yesterday and drink for 12hrs :) It was a blast at least. Going low key today and chilling out back with some steaks and twice baked potatoes. Oh I did throw in some veggies. Thank god you can't cook oatmeal on a grill. Or can you???????

GameDayDog
06-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Man.. you naturally big guys have it sooooo easy... If I slack for a minute... Poof.. all my gains disappear... :( ... You got me thynkin' bout that Jefferson's theme song... Fish don't fry in the kitchen, beans don't burn on the grill... Maybe they should change that to oatmeal don't burn on the grill... Hmm.. it even rhymes a little better.. :D

Our forum contest is on September 2nd ... so u styll got plenty of tyme to get back in shape for that... gonna have to work extra hard tho... We gotta lot of new quality guys here man... Jaguarr's my partner in crime now... Growin Guns is a hilarious & knowledgeable guy... Baldsnake's got great stories and is a wealth of knowledge, he been in the game for decades... & Chris aka Thumper aka Kimsquit... Great natural competitor from Canuckville... ... Along with the regulars that are styll here... me, Hunter, Mr & Mrs. S, Fitty, Chi (styll no thong pic for the ladies), OhioSteve, Radical1 ... ... Man, what's next Tom Knighton myght make a surprise appearance!!! :D ... Oh, plus you have the honor of being my very fyrst photochop victim.. hahaha... It's crazy now.. there are no exemptions..

Now to get you back in the weight room... but it's cool, I'll let you extend your vacation from the iron until the 4th... Take it easy big guy...

Peace..~G

Niroc
06-29-2005, 09:49 AM
GD I took off work today and fiened sun-poisoning. I hope my (boss) <-----so he thinks won't read this. I'm still around 225 everyday and I haven't taken my BF for like 2 mths. I'm sure I'm in the 18-20% range. Don't despair though. The only reason I was ever able to gain weight is from about 5 yrs ago I took an anti-psychotic drug and I put on like 40lbs in 2 mths. Since then my metabolism has been F*CKED but at least I can put on the lbs. Not always the good ones. I do look much slimmer now but I still have the baggage around the waist area. Still only a 4 pack but I can't complain. I still owe you a PM maybe today I'll have enough time to pour it all out. BTW I'm gonna be needing some advice from you soon. You seem to be the most un-aliased person on the forums. You never seem to pass judgement on anyone at all.

GameDayDog
06-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Hahaha.. Me.. non-judgemental??? Man, you have really been gone a long tyme.. :D ... hahaha.. Just kyddin'... Your PM's been read & answered... Good luck bro...

Peace..~G
Eating Peanut Butter Ryght Now!!!

Niroc
09-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi everyone just thought I'd pop in and say it. I've been back at the weights for about 2wks steady now and going to start another bulker soon. Trying to get my diet dialed in with eating 6x a day again. My BF is pretty high, I haven't checked it yet but I know I had to buy new shorts. I gave all my 34's away hope I won't need them again :) I started a new 5 day routine also incorporating 5x5 sets for first compound movement of each body part and rest are 3x6-8. Only doing one body part per day with weekends off or cardio on those days. Since it's fall I think it's safe to say I should be back for good. I'm not working anymore, wasn't worth the hassle. Gonna part time it for now just to make ends meet and concentrate on my training again. 3 months off with a poor diet really adds up fast. Hopefully muscle memory will take care of it quickly. I'm easing into it, I HATE DOMS and have avoided a really bad case by taking it easy. Next week I should be able to go heavy again and I'm really looking forward to it. Strength is still there I think but the stamina isn't. I only lost 1 1/4" on my arms they are still at 17 now which is better than I thought. I think I have body dysmorphic disorder, but I'll get over it. Hope to here from you all soon. I've been bouncing around on other forums alot. Spending some time at anabolex and anabolicminds. Just trying to broaden my horizons some. Well I'm gonna go check some posts and see what everyones been up too.
Peace
Dave

Hibiscus09
09-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi Dave! Good to see you again! :D

joed
09-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey man, glad you're back. What a coincidence; Fire just checked in yesterday & posted in my journal. All the ne-er do wells are getting back to the sweat mill; good.

jaguarr
09-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Hey, excellent! Baldsnake wanders back in here from his travels, fire shows up after taking the summer off, and now Niroc's back at it. All is right with the world. :cool: Welcome back, Dave!

jag

Niroc
09-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who strayed from the pack!!! New lifting partner starting with me today also. My last 2 fell by the wayside. In fact one never even showed up like 5x in a row lol. Maybe it's my deodorant? Good to hear from everyone too. Escpecially you Hib!!!! :)

joed
09-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Niroc, if you haven't already, read her older thread. She posted PICS with her trophy; make sure you're sitting down!

Hibiscus09
09-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks, sweetie! :)