PDA

View Full Version : Training tendons for strength

jtroster
03-01-2005, 05:25 AM
Looking through this forum there are a lot of threads about various forms of tendonitis. It looks like as we age we can still train our muscles to greater strengths but our tendons and ligaments don't seem to increase in strength at the same pace.

I tend to get flare-ups of tendonitis in two areas - the upper bicep tendon and the patellar tendon just below the knee. These areas get sore whenever I make a new personal best. Then its lower weights, stretching, icing and Advil until the tendons strengthen.

So has anyone any ideas on how to train so that your tendons gain strength to avoid the flare ups?

A.FreeRadical
03-01-2005, 05:34 AM
I have been fairly fortunate since starting to workout last May. I injured my elbow tendon (tennis elbow) early on and I still have to baby that elbow. Other than that, I have only had minor and temporary soreness in tendons, joints, ligaments. I think the best remedy is prevention.

I do lots of warmups, I work my way up to my max set with acclimation sets and I don't do any major weight changes for my max attempts. (only 5-10 lb jumps after stabilizing the last max).

I take 3-4 glucousamine/chondroitin/MSM per day. I also take 6 fishoil gels per day. Dispite working out hard, I am very cautious in what I do. I know one moment of stupidity or carelessness and I am out of the gym longer than I want.

aA.FreeRadical a
Visit my 8 week cutting journal. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697

Joe50
03-01-2005, 06:11 AM
Next question please http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson18.htm

Just kiddin, I looked up the same question yesterday

jtroster
03-01-2005, 06:23 AM
Joe50,

I read that article. It essentially recommends sets of heavier weights with a short range of motion. My experience with squats is that when I increase the weight I can't do a full range of motion and the increase of weight that triggers the tendonitis.

So while good information I think that us more mature lifters need a different approach. I tend to agree with A.FreeRadical that a good warmup with stretching really helps. When my bicep tendon starts to act up I warm up with light flat flys with emphasis on the stretch.

As for sups I do take glucousamine/chondroitin/MSM and fishoil but not the same amount as A.FreeRadical. I'll try increasing the dosage and see if it helps.

fitnessman
03-01-2005, 06:33 AM
I agree with Rad...I do quite a few warm ups before going heavy. The BP for example I most often do four warm ups.

Of course "they" say thats too many........But better than a injury!!

MAXIMILLION
03-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Looking through this forum there are a lot of threads about various forms of tendonitis. It looks like as we age we can still train our muscles to greater strengths but our tendons and ligaments don't seem to increase in strength at the same pace.

I tend to get flare-ups of tendonitis in two areas - the upper bicep tendon and the patellar tendon just below the knee. These areas get sore whenever I make a new personal best. Then its lower weights, stretching, icing and Advil until the tendons strengthen.

So has anyone any ideas on how to train so that your tendons gain strength to avoid the flare ups?the number one side effect from AS abuse is connective tissue damage. muscle grows at a fast rate and does not attach right . a steroid strengthened muscle attached to weak ligaments,tendons = ripp. bicep tendom problems are common even amongst naturals. now lets look at the older bb,ers and powerlifters they focused on connective tissue strength. becuase muscle could not be built at a fast rate like they can do now. now things like hgh can enhance these tissues , but they make muscle growth even more so tears are still occuring. now one supplement that helps is msm directly building up connective tissues. and the pain people feel is from the tendon not muscle . so building strong tendons will come from training them, you say how do i train them. by staying away from AS and lifting heavy and then recovering from time off. just like tearing muscle down small tears in the tendons will over compensate and build up like welding a plate on a beam it gives more support. but AS abuse takes the flexibility out of tendon so at breaking point it ripps instead of stretching a little . most guys who achieved greatness were retired early becuase of crippling ripps. zane ripped pec,dorian ripped triceps,platz ripped bicep,AND MORE DON YOUNGBLOOD who beat out vince taylor for masters olympia . tore tricep and had it attached with screw so he could compete in the olympia . and yes any time you increase weights you will have tenderness in the connective tissues. but you could you image gaining 25 pounds and increasing bench 50 and curls 25 this equates to ripp . and all this done in 6 weeks OUCH!!!!!