PDA

View Full Version : Skim milk powder ?

Chris_Seal
02-28-2005, 03:40 AM
hey, is this any good ? I got some today and i find it more convienent tio buy this stuff, as it's cheap and i don't need to store it in a fridge.
It says it creates instant skim milk when mixed with water.
I had some and it tasted ok and the nutritional information on the packet says it is just as good as the fresh skim milk (as in carbs, protiens, ect)

Anything i am missing, as to why this product may not be a good food choice ?

rycbaby
02-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Always wanted to try it...but I don't see why it would be considered a bad food choice...it's basically milk in a dry form eh?

Chris_Seal
02-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Always wanted to try it...but I don't see why it would be considered a bad food choice...it's basically milk in a dry form eh?

But is it still considered real food ? Or is it just like whey powder, not a great food source to grow on.
It's hell cheap i can give you that !

BackInTheJox
02-28-2005, 09:53 PM
But is it still considered real food ? Or is it just like whey powder, not a great food source to grow on.
It's hell cheap i can give you that !

Well, if you're anything like me, whey/skim milk powder isn't enough to live on simply because it doesn't fill you up at all. I'd be starving all the time.

That being said, skim milk powder is a great way to add extra protein/calories to an exisiting protein shake mixture......

Chris_Seal
03-01-2005, 04:12 AM
Well, if you're anything like me, whey/skim milk powder isn't enough to live on simply because it doesn't fill you up at all. I'd be starving all the time.

That being said, skim milk powder is a great way to add extra protein/calories to an exisiting protein shake mixture......

so skim mlik powder isn't as superior as the real stuff made up fresh ?
It's good it doesn't fill you up because you won't feel full as much, on a 4000 cal bulk.

BackInTheJox
03-01-2005, 07:17 AM
It's good it doesn't fill you up because you won't feel full as much, on a 4000 cal bulk.

Oh, see, for me, I could easily eat many more calories than I need to bulk. At 5'6"/138lbs, I could down 4000 calories a day no problem, but that would obviously be a bit much for me, so I have to stick with about 3000.

2pounds
03-01-2005, 07:21 AM
It is just as good as real milk, but dont count it as a solid food. Dont count real milk as a solid food either.

ps. that used to be welfare milk back in the 80's

thatsmickymouse
03-01-2005, 07:24 AM
i have a question back in the early days of body building would they have done home made whey shakes with things such as skim milk powder i read somewhere about arnies shakes were milk powder eggs and bannana's any body out there know

trem0lo
03-01-2005, 09:55 AM
I use the stuff all the time. In fact, I have a huge five-pound box on top of my fridge now :) I take my pre and post-workout shakes to school with me, and I use dry milk in both of them. Lord knows what would happen if I used real milk!

I used to take my shakes ready-to-drink, until one spilled in my bag and ruined my books and cell phone :( Picture it: Strawberry protein powder mixed with oatmeal everywhere!! Yuck.

thatsmickymouse
03-01-2005, 05:48 PM
you think that is bad try losing a whole container full of tuna and raw vegies through your bag do you know how bad that smells

night-trainer
03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
My mum used to mix that stuff up and put it into milk bottles trying to fool us, but we could all tell the difference and would never drink it. Now I use it everyday in my shakes, its cheap, convenient, and fits in well with the overall breakdown.

Chris_Seal
03-01-2005, 06:42 PM
My mum used to mix that stuff up and put it into milk bottles trying to fool us, but we could all tell the difference and would never drink it. Now I use it everyday in my shakes, its cheap, convenient, and fits in well with the overall breakdown.

exactly....as milk mat not be considered a solid food, it's a fantastic thing to take in bulking and developing muscle (skim milk i mean)
If it's ok, no need to buy fresh skim milk again.....very cheap in the skim milk powder form and you don't have to worry about refrigeration

rycbaby
03-01-2005, 06:56 PM
My mum used to mix that stuff up and put it into milk bottles trying to fool us, but we could all tell the difference and would never drink it.

LOL that's funneh...How different does it taste compared to skim milk ?

night-trainer
03-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Not that different I dont think (havn't had it by itself for a while), I think we were just fussy kids who were use to whole milk. We probably just needed a good smack.

luke77
03-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Anyone know how much a box of powdered milk costs? And how much it contains? Is it a lot cheaper than regular milk?

soserious
03-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Anyone know how much a box of powdered milk costs? And how much it contains? Is it a lot cheaper than regular milk?

depends, you in uk or usa or what?

i used to buy skim milk powder and make shakes out of them, adding stuff to them occassionally, but that was looong ago, i cant have many foods, the last time i had a milk shake made from skim milk powder i got so sick.. (im hypoglycemic, and also very sensetive to some foods and liquid foods..sux!) but otherwise its not too bad as a "nutrient source", but i wouldnt suggest like living off the stuff..that has side effects.. and dont add like 3x as much milk powder as youre meant to or you might get a swollen/ gassy stomach from it.

rycbaby
03-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Once you mix it with water...does it ever go spoil?

xxghostxx
03-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Not that different I dont think (havn't had it by itself for a while), I think we were just fussy kids who were use to whole milk. We probably just needed a good smack.

I don't think it's as good by any means, but I still use it out of shear convenience sometimes. The wierd taste of powdered milk in my pwo shake is a much better taste than spoiled warm milk in my pwo shake if I don't have access to a cooler. And it is a bit cheaper than normal milk, but not all that much (at least where I live it's this way).

The Mango Kid
03-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Just wanted to bring this back up to clarify something that wasn't quite clear enough on my part.

Is powdered skim milk just as good nutritionally as fresh stuff? ASsuming you make it properly?

BigBoogie
03-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Skim milk powder is one of my great food discoveries over the past 2 years. Milk that I can put on my shelf and keep for months. How do you beat that?