PDA

View Full Version : Low fat yogurt and almonds before bedtime..

struck
08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
I get around 14gm of protein from low fat yogurt and almonds before bedtime (the last meal of the day). However, I would like to know if low fat yogurt will take like 6-7 hours to digest? I heard it's a casein protein but I am not really sure since it's low fat one (0.9% fat). But I add around 0.5oz of almonds so maybe the fat content in almonds help .. *confused*

I was wondering if that would digest slowly?

Ohh and I am cutting, and that's the reason for consuming less calories.

medo30886
08-15-2007, 08:43 AM
I get around 14gm of protein from low fat yogurt and almonds before bedtime (the last meal of the day). However, I would like to know if low fat yogurt will take like 6-7 hours to digest? I heard it's a casein protein but I am not really sure since it's low fat one (0.9% fat). But I add around 0.5oz of almonds so maybe the fat content in almonds help .. *confused*

I was wondering if that would digest slowly?

Ohh and I am cutting, and that's the reason for consuming less calories.
why dont u eat COTTAGE b4 bed istead of yogurt?

muirsy88
08-15-2007, 08:45 AM
It's fine man - as long as you're within you daily requirements for your current goals.

struck
08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Because for some reason, I cannot have access to cottage cheese as easily as I can have to yogurt, and the former is more affordable. :)

Just thought to ask this because I was planning on buying casein protein, but if yogurt already has casein protein, then I think I am alright.

That's just another step towards promoting better muscle growth at night and thus minimizing the muscle loss on a cut.

xl Achilles lx
08-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Because for some reason, I cannot have access to cottage cheese as easily as I can have to yogurt, and the former is more affordable. :)

Just thought to ask this because I was planning on buying casein protein, but if yogurt already has casein protein, then I think I am alright.

That's just another step towards promoting better muscle growth at night and thus minimizing the muscle loss on a cut.

I'm not sure that yogurt is as slow digesting as cc, but I could be wrong. I just don't know.

I DO know that casein isn't absolutly 100% necessary for your pre-bed meal. It's only recommended. You can get protein from other sources like chicken, salmon, beef...hell, I know people who have whey in water w/ 2 tblspoons peanut butter and make good gains. But if you want to go w/ the yogurt, go with it and see how you feel the following mornings. If you don't see the results you want, switch to buying casein or somethin.

muirsy88
08-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure that yogurt is as slow digesting as cc, but I could be wrong. I just don't know.

I DO know that casein isn't absolutly 100% necessary for your pre-bed meal. It's only recommended. You can get protein from other sources like chicken, salmon, beef...hell, I know people who have whey in water w/ 2 tblspoons peanut butter and make good gains. But if you want to go w/ the yogurt, go with it and see how you feel the following mornings. If you don't see the results you want, switch to buying casein or somethin.

For sure. Can of tuna for me. Cottage cheese just rots in my stomach

Dm84
08-15-2007, 09:43 AM
I do yogurt and almonds too.

I tried cottage cheese and couldn't deal with the taste or consistency.

pecan
08-15-2007, 09:52 AM
the glycemic index of yogurt is 14.

i believe that's even lower than cottage cheese

Dm84
08-15-2007, 09:55 AM
the glycemic index of yogurt is 14.

i believe that's even lower than cottage cheeseThe thing to watch out for is a lot of brands are loaded with sugar. I buy the Dannon light and fit yogurt which only has like 7g of sugar in it. It has Splenda though so it's not for people who are freaked out by artificial sweeteners.

pecan
08-15-2007, 10:01 AM
The thing to watch out for is a lot of brands are loaded with sugar. I buy the Dannon light and fit yogurt which only has like 7g of sugar in it. It has Splenda though so it's not for people who are freaked out by artificial sweeteners.

good point, i should have mentioned that...sugar would make the gi skyrocket.

struck
08-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I get this yogurt named Nesvita by Nestle and it contains 39 calories per 100gm. It costs me $0.5 / 450gm, so that's cool. It doesn't have any added sugar but I still enjoy eating it with almonds. Doesn't taste bad at all.

Nutritional info: (per 100gm)
4.3 carbs
3.6 protein
0.9 fat
200 calcium
300iu vit d

250gm is a good serving :D

stipem
08-15-2007, 11:14 AM
I used to do yougurt with Miscellar protein mixed in before bed. However, it was a lot of carbs (22 grams per servince - about a cup and a half) for me. I started to make protein pudding and reduced the carbs to 10 grams. Just a thought.

sportyhp
08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
just use greek yogurt, less carbs more protein

Jimmyp
08-15-2007, 11:52 AM
just use greek yogurt, less carbs more protein

yes, greek yogurt is the ****.