PDA

View Full Version : Eating Clean = SLower Metabolism?

tsunner
08-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Been eating clean for the last 7 mos. Before that I ate like crap (pizzas, deep fried foods, fast foods). I feel like my metabolism is actually slower now that I've switched over a to a healthy diet, if I have a cheat day or weekend I'll gain like 3 lbs. But this cheat day/weekend is still better in comparison to the old me.

Does this make sense? I feel like maybe now my body is so used to healthy foods that when i throw some junk food into it, it just turns straight to fat. As opposed to when I used to eat like crap all the time my body was used to it and didn't really gain much weight. Does anyone else feel like this?

Calorically it does not make sense because i exercise 10x more now than I used also.

CF10
08-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Been eating clean for the last 7 mos. Before that I ate like crap (pizzas, deep fried foods, fast foods). I feel like my metabolism is actually slower now that I've switched over a to a healthy diet, if I have a cheat day or weekend I'll gain like 3 lbs. But this cheat day/weekend is still better in comparison to the old me.

Does this make sense? I feel like maybe now my body is so used to healthy foods that when i throw some junk food into it, it just turns straight to fat. As opposed to when I used to eat like crap all the time my body was used to it and didn't really gain much weight. Does anyone else feel like this?

Calorically it does not make sense because i exercise 10x more now than I used also.

There's a reason for that, and no it isnt because your metabolism is slower. Your body is not used to the large amounts of sodium and carbs from the cheat day like it used to be when you ate that way every day. Therefore, it kinda shocked your body, forcing it to hold onto extra water. When you load up on an extraordinary amount of carbs and sodium, the body retains water. When I am dieting low carb for an extended time and then have a big cheat meal or day, I've gained as much as 10-11 lbs water, but it slowly fades at the rate of about a lb a day.

So you're right, calorically it doesnt make sense. It's not fat.

medo30886
08-14-2007, 01:31 PM

eat junk!!!!!!!
wat do we suppose to reply with

xl Achilles lx
08-14-2007, 01:37 PM
eat junk!!!!!!!
wat do we suppose to reply with

Or just not post replies like that. But then again, it really isn't surprising coming from you, as you have never really posted any solid advice on these boards.

To the OP, it's a pretty legitimate question to ask, and I agree with CF10 that because you ate something your body isn't used to, you sort of surprised it. I used to be the same way as you, used to eat crap ALL the time and never put on weight. (Still have trouble lol) Then once I found that after a while of eating clean, whenever I ate something "dirty" like pizza or candy, I'd get a little bloated.

Now a days, I just eat sensible all the time, allowing myself treats throughout the day, and not specifically designating one day out of the week/month to all out gorge on crap foods. Has worked wonders :).

medo30886
08-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Or just not post replies like that. But then again, it really isn't surprising coming from you, as you have never really posted any solid advice on these boards.

To the OP, it's a pretty legitimate question to ask, and I agree with CF10 that because you ate something your body isn't used to, you sort of surprised it. I used to be the same way as you, used to eat crap ALL the time and never put on weight. (Still have trouble lol) Then once I found that after a while of eating clean, whenever I ate something "dirty" like pizza or candy, I'd get a little bloated.

Now a days, I just eat sensible all the time, allowing myself treats throughout the day, and not specifically designating one day out of the week/month to all out gorge on crap foods. Has worked wonders :).
thnx for jkeeping eye on my non-solid *posts*
i really appreciate it

Environ
08-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Eating clean doesn't slow your metabolism. Eating too few calories does. By cleaning up your diet, you might have cut out too many calories. From that perspective, you may have slowed down your metabolism, but not merely by cleaning up your diet.

When you DO cheat, you don't put on 3 lbs of fat. You put on 3 lbs of weight, predominantly water weight due to the composition of the junk food (e.g. high sodium). Or else you feel bloated and think that you have put on weight.

tsunner
08-14-2007, 02:54 PM
By cleaning up your diet, you might have cut out too many calories. From that perspective, you may have slowed down your metabolism, but not merely by cleaning up your diet.

is this true? this worries me because i can go back to eating like crap and raise my metabolism? oh and medo u should take down your profile pic or else no one will take your posts seriously. why would i take advice from a guy who looks like that?

blacksmith77
08-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Technically after gaining weight through water doesn't your strength go up if you can still do the same amount of push ups, dips, pull ups as you did before 2-3 kg was added to you .... Now theres something to think about, always incorporate BW exercises day after cheats!

zackcentury
08-14-2007, 04:17 PM
is this true? this worries me because i can go back to eating like crap and raise my metabolism? oh and medo u should take down your profile pic or else no one will take your posts seriously. why would i take advice from a guy who looks like that?

stop ripping on people, dude. If you want help, be cool, and people might think it's worth their time to give you advice.

Yes, Environ's quote probably is true, but only if you're now eating too few calories. If, for example, your body is now used to getting only 1700 calories each day, your metabolism has changed to store body fat and expend energy accordingly. When you overeat, any calories over 1700 are "extra" for your body that is only expecting that many, and the extra calories will probably be burned off. Another thing this overeating might do is raise your leptin levels, which are regulated by low calorie dieting. When your leptin is higher, you have more potential to lose body fat. Joel Marion just wrote a book called The Cheat to Lose Diet. I think the basic idea is that occasional overeating, be it cheating or just high calorie days, manipulates leptin in your body to help lose fat. So, don't go back to eating crap all the time, but consider eating more calories on your clean diet, or figuring in cheat meals at least once a week.