PDA

View Full Version : Noob wants opinions on his gamplan

RetireCowher
02-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey everybody...

I just started over again 3 weeks ago. My level of fitness has mirrored a rollercoaster since Jr. High. The breaking point was when I realized I'd become so complacent that I had passed the 200lb mark (and at about 22% body fat). I'm only 5'10 and some change so that was a little disturbing....especially at 22 yrs. old. Anyway, I have a membership at a local gym....started a mixed gameplan. I carry most of my weight at the beltbuckle...probably 95% of visible fat. I've listed my weekly activity below... please let me know what I'm doing right/wrong....any input would be appreciated!

-Monday through Friday I do cardio at around 7AM...I see HIIT and low cardio mentioned around here alot?...I just do weightloss intervals on one eliptical and I do the fast-paced hard stuff on another machine. I usually do 50/50 of each every session...each session lasts around 45 min-1 hr.
-Mon, Wed, and Fri. I do upperbody weight training on lunch...super-sets are what my trainer calls it...Incline Dumb Press, Weighted Crunches, Icarian Shoulder Press, Tricep pull-downs, Shoulder shrugs, butterfly presses(machine), and sitting bicep curls....I do everything in an alternating rotation of 2 exercises, 4 sets each.
-Tuesday and Thursday I just double up on the cardio sessions

-My diet consists of nothing before AM cardio, protein shake after, banana one hr later, homemade fruit smoothie at lunch, protein shake after workout #2, a turkey sandwich on sourdough 1 hr later, and something comparable to 110 calories of grilled chicken and 110 calories of cottage cheese for dinner...I go very low carb after 4pm and try to supress my appetitie w/ 2 or 3 glasses of coffee

-one other question...how much is sugar contributing to the "beer gut" if I use large amounts of it throughout the day? I've cut back but this would probably be the easiest thing to eliminate from my diet if it would make a difference.

Thanks again for any input.
RC

KingOfChaos
02-16-2005, 07:15 PM
-one other question...how much is sugar contributing to the "beer gut" if I use large amounts of it throughout the day? I've cut back but this would probably be the easiest thing to eliminate from my diet if it would make a difference.

I would cut it out of my diet except for pre and post work out (weight lifting, not the cardio). The reason is the resulting insulin spike will pull your post workout shake into your muscles and help in recovery and gain.

I noticed you said you didn't work out your legs? This is a bad idea, since the legs contain the largest muscle group on your body and are a great fat burning resource when they're developed through weight lifting. Also, you don't want to become top-heavy. It's better to add a weight session for legs at least once every week.

RetireCowher
02-16-2005, 07:22 PM
I have had a few ppl tell me about the leg thing but can't I just add resistance on the eliptical to achieve a similar effect to leg-lifting? I hope so because I hate leg weight-training.

thanks for the response!!!

KingOfChaos
02-16-2005, 07:30 PM
I have had a few ppl tell me about the leg thing but can't I just add resistance on the eliptical to achieve a similar effect to leg-lifting? I hope so because I hate leg weight-training.

thanks for the response!!!

The problem with cardio is the fact that it doesn't really 'develop' the muscles...it's main objective is to burn fat and exercise the heart. Sure, you may gain some size from doing cardio, but not as much as you'll gain in your upper body from lifting those weights.

As far as hating leg day, so do I. However, I soldier through it because I know the benefits of training my legs far outweighs any short-lived pain and/or discomfort that occurs because of it.

The fact of the matter is that working the legs (squats especially) increases testosterone output and increases your muscle mass. A larger muscle mass means a faster metabolism and that means you'll burn that fat off a lot quicker than you would not doing any leg lifting at all.

RetireCowher
02-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks again...

Don't you have to be careful as far as form goes on squats though...I have back and knee probs so I've always avoided them.

My trainer had me doing knee ext. and leg presses but I stopped.

KingOfChaos
02-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks again...

Don't you have to be careful as far as form goes on squats though...I have back and knee probs so I've always avoided them.

My trainer had me doing knee ext. and leg presses but I stopped.

Yes, which is why its always good to start out doing squats and/or deadlifts without weight or very light weight. It conditions the body to get ready for heavier weight so you have less chance of hurting yourself when performing them.

Also, if you have knee problems, I suggest using a strong knee brace when attempting to do squats. This will minimize the chance of hurting the knee in question while working out your legs. You can also do leg extensions to work the quadricep, if squats get to be too much for you, though they're not as effective at building muscle mass.

Some good information:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Barbell+Full+Squat
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Dumbbell+Squat+To+A+Bench
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Hack+Squat

Johnbe
02-16-2005, 08:09 PM
What about lower body?

RetireCowher
02-17-2005, 12:34 PM
I just don't like lower body weight training...

Maybe I'll try to do 2 or 3 sets of something after one of my cardio sessions next week?