PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here had a problem with their SCM (aka sternocleidomastoid) muscle?

TXJosh
02-15-2005, 06:33 AM
I have had trouble with this for a few years now. Nothing seems to make it go away. The problem is that the SCM on my right side is overdeveloped. The pit that is found normally between the collarbone and trap muscles has a very promenant SCM piece attached to the collar bone. Other related issues I have are:
- Tingling in my upper back
- Right traps are alot less developed now then the left side
- Grinding movement where the collarbone meets the breast bone
- Tenderness in many points of the right SCM

Here are the doctors I have seen thus far...

11/02 - Saw family doctor, he just examined me and wasn't 100% sure how it could be treated except by just not working out upper body for a while...I took off for 6 weeks, the pain decreased, but the muscle remained more promenant then it is on the left side.

01/03 - I saw an orthopedic surgeon, he didn't seem to have any advice on what to do either.

06/03 - I started seeing a Chiropractor, he insisted on pressing really hard on the point where the collarbone meets with the breast bone and said that was a weak spot, I don't believe it did anything.

08/03 - My insurance changed and I was forced to see a different Chiropractor, this one said he didn't understand why the last one was doing what he was doing. Although, this one basically just applied a very very small amount of pressure to my shoulder and chest and then I was out the door. So, I don't think he really did anything either and the problem still persisted.

11/03 - Started going to a Physical therapist (I requested this), this was the first time i actually felt like I was doing anything in the right direction, but the end result was that I still had pain and the SCM still felt overdeveloped.

08/04 - Went to see another Orthopedic surgeon who I heard was very good. He really didn't end up saying much and didn't have much to offer about how to fix the problem.

12/04 - Started seeing another Chiropractor, this one actually seems to be pretty good. But, I have been going for 2 months now and I still have the same SCM problems...My upper back feels better though.

Has anyone heard of something that fits this description? I want to finally recover from this injury. I don't know what other kind of doctor I can possibly go to.

TXJosh
02-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Is there a more appropriate forum on this site that can post this question on or another site that has a forum that specifically addresses sports injury related issues?

scheic09
09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I have had trouble with this for a few years now. Nothing seems to make it go away. The problem is that the SCM on my right side is overdeveloped. The pit that is found normally between the collarbone and trap muscles has a very promenant SCM piece attached to the collar bone. Other related issues I have are:
- Tingling in my upper back
- Right traps are alot less developed now then the left side
- Grinding movement where the collarbone meets the breast bone
- Tenderness in many points of the right SCM

Here are the doctors I have seen thus far...

11/02 - Saw family doctor, he just examined me and wasn't 100% sure how it could be treated except by just not working out upper body for a while...I took off for 6 weeks, the pain decreased, but the muscle remained more promenant then it is on the left side.

01/03 - I saw an orthopedic surgeon, he didn't seem to have any advice on what to do either.

06/03 - I started seeing a Chiropractor, he insisted on pressing really hard on the point where the collarbone meets with the breast bone and said that was a weak spot, I don't believe it did anything.

08/03 - My insurance changed and I was forced to see a different Chiropractor, this one said he didn't understand why the last one was doing what he was doing. Although, this one basically just applied a very very small amount of pressure to my shoulder and chest and then I was out the door. So, I don't think he really did anything either and the problem still persisted.

11/03 - Started going to a Physical therapist (I requested this), this was the first time i actually felt like I was doing anything in the right direction, but the end result was that I still had pain and the SCM still felt overdeveloped.

08/04 - Went to see another Orthopedic surgeon who I heard was very good. He really didn't end up saying much and didn't have much to offer about how to fix the problem.

12/04 - Started seeing another Chiropractor, this one actually seems to be pretty good. But, I have been going for 2 months now and I still have the same SCM problems...My upper back feels better though.

Has anyone heard of something that fits this description? I want to finally recover from this injury. I don't know what other kind of doctor I can possibly go to.

i have the exact same problem and i have been looking for a treatment for it and have found absolutely nothing. please let me know if you have found a treatment for it because mine is on the left side. i have all the same symptoms that you have just on the left side.

jamesk298
05-26-2017, 01:26 PM
i have the exact same problem and i have been looking for a treatment for it and have found absolutely nothing. please let me know if you have found a treatment for it because mine is on the left side. i have all the same symptoms that you have just on the left side.

I know this is an old thread but I've started getting this pain on heavy bench presses. If i tilt my head to the side a little and retract my scapulae as if i was in a bench press i can pin point exactly where the pain is coming from. However its very thin and looks like more of a ligament type thing, not sure if that's just where it meets to the collar bone? did either of you find any help with relieving this pain?