PDA

View Full Version : Met-Rx ProteinPlus

Nikos30
08-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Today I needed a quick snack to hold me over before lunch (had a 4-5 hour gap where I didn't have time to eat).

So I stopped to the gas station looking for a meal replacement bar which didn't have too much sugar or fat. Most had both and a either/or -- with sugar alcohol etc..

I settled on Met-rx Protein Plus

Stats:

Cal: 320
Cal From Fat: 80
Fat: 9g
Sat Fat: 8g
Trans: 0g
Fiber 2g
Sugar 2g
Sugar Alcolhol 19g

Protein and Carbs = 32

I know the sugar alcohol was very high and also saturated fat. But what exactly is worse? A bar with mostly Sugar, but limited sat fat? Or one with sugar alcohol and high sat fat, but a good balance of protein and carb?

I know this was basically like eating a candy bar, but I really needed something to eat at the time rather than nothing. Was this better then simply eating a souple slices of low carb wheat bread wraps?

What could I buy in the future as an emergency bar meal replacement?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BabyBodybuilder
08-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I know this was basically like eating a candy bar

What could I buy in the future as an emergency bar meal replacement?

Yep, mostly a candy bar with a scoop of protein.. :(

Umm.. I would think that most gas stations have beef jerky?

BlueFenix13S
08-10-2007, 08:25 PM
I woulda grabbed pork rinds :D

snitz
08-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Quick question: What is so bad about sugar alcohol? I thought it was preferable over sugars, because it doesn't spike blood sugar?

jGvasa
08-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Doesnt beef jerky from a store have a ton of sodium?

BlueFenix13S
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Quick question: What is so bad about sugar alcohol? I thought it was preferable over sugars, because it doesn't spike blood sugar?

It causes bloating and flatulance in some people. Take a nose plug for your gf if you're one of em ;)

Really though, unless you have a VERY hard time digesting them, then they're fine. Whole foods always win, but if you need a protein bar, I'd rather have sugar alcohols than straight sugars.