PDA

View Full Version : Frying Potatoes In Olive Oil?????????

wannagetbigg
08-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I know frying food is bad. But what is bad about it if your frying it with olive oil instead of corn oil? Just wondering because I couldnt figure it out. Thanks

droxas
08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I know frying food is bad. But what is bad about it if your frying it with olive oil instead of corn oil? Just wondering because I couldnt figure it out. Thanks
Frying food isn't inherently bad. It's when you get too much of a certain thing. The concern you maybe was trying to touch on in your post is that fried food generally contains a lot of saturated fats which promote things like heart disease if eaten regularly in high amounts; although you do want some in your diet. When you are cooking, look at the nutrition label of your oil and make sure you are using an appropriate amount to cook with. Appropriate being whatever fits in with your daily nutritional needs. As far as olive oil versus corn oil, I really don't have enough knowledge to comment on that except that everyone seems to be touting olive oil as the king these days.

I'm not sure how you are "frying" your potatoes, but what I like to do is cut them up into wedges, brush with olive oil and season with spices, then bake them in the oven. Better than french fries in my opinion.

Merkava
08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure how you are "frying" your potatoes, but what I like to do is cut them up into wedges, brush with olive oil and season with spices, then bake them in the oven. Better than french fries in my opinion.I'm going to do this, but do you put them directly in the oven, without cooking. How long does it take?

W8isGR8
08-09-2007, 03:02 PM
You cant fry with olive oil because it has a lower smoking point

fromoe
08-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm going to do this, but do you put them directly in the oven, without cooking. How long does it take?

the oven is the cooking. cooking time and temp will vary depending on the thickness

wannagetbigg
09-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I usually just cut them up in the shape of frys, throw them on the frying pan w/salt and lots of olive oil. So is that clean and healthy???? It just doesnt seem right that eating frys is actually healthy hah.

siamesedream
09-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I know frying food is bad.

Damnit, see what you guys have done?

daYDreAmErX
09-20-2007, 04:15 PM
I do it... I add onion salt, persil, salt and pepper to my sliced potatoes, I turn the heat to low/medium and fry them... Flip them after 10 minutes, cover, eat and enjoy. Olive oil FTW

3lixer.
09-20-2007, 04:18 PM

QFT

indy455
09-20-2007, 04:49 PM

go to italy and report back:)

EvanGR
09-21-2007, 03:02 AM
go to italy and report back:)

Greece too.