PDA

View Full Version : fruits beofre bed???

RoAR
02-06-2005, 08:03 PM
fruits before bed bad? or good?! im gettin ready for bed and i can feel my stimach rumblingg lol im out of a protien shake and any othere quick sorces of protien i just want sumpin to alow me to get to bed is fruits a bad idea? ie apple or orange?

ace1981
02-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Yea, I want to know that to. After each workout I try to eat an apple or orange.

Malaka1985
02-06-2005, 08:05 PM
A lot of these bodybuilding guys say fruits are really bad. I , on the other hand, think fruit is awesome and you should eat it whenever you want. Go for it.

Graphite
02-06-2005, 08:07 PM
i just ate a pear and im heading to bed in a few, oh well :D

RoAR
02-06-2005, 08:14 PM
tnx guys anyothe input??

afftonz28
02-06-2005, 08:58 PM
fruit is like the womb of god...eat it up.

DowntoGoal
02-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Sorry to be the downer in this thread, but you don't want fruit before bed. It has carbs and you want to try to stay away from carbs before bed. But I mean man, that's just me. I mean it's fruit for goodness sake and it you want to eat it, why not....

jonnyb
02-06-2005, 11:38 PM
After workouts you need protein, NOT fruit. Before bed you don't want a bunch of fructose in you! Stay away from that **** before bed and just eat some cottage cheese.

bodybuilder45
02-06-2005, 11:42 PM
there isnt a night that goes by when i dont have fruit before bed. make sure u choose a low GI fruit such as an apple or orange. these carbs will replenish your glycogen storages and keep u anabolic longer. apple and casein shake mixed with 1% milk is my meal before bed and i think its a good idea. flex magazine actually recommends this meal to save muscle while you sleep.

Maximize
02-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Yea, I want to know that to. After each workout I try to eat an apple or orange.

i prefer a banana potassium is easily over looked in some of our diets

Striation
02-07-2005, 03:38 AM
Fruit is for energy. Do you need energy to sleep? Whey/casein shake or cottage cheese instead.

Blackout
02-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Disagree. After a weight workout you require protein and carbohydrates. Fast acting carbs at that.

armz_ha
02-07-2005, 10:57 AM
fruits before bed bad? or good?! im gettin ready for bed and i can feel my stimach rumblingg lol im out of a protien shake and any othere quick sorces of protien i just want sumpin to alow me to get to bed is fruits a bad idea? ie apple or orange?

you have any peanut butter or healthy nuts around to munch on? i wouldn't suggest eating fruit before bed.

Johnbe
02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Really the sugar before you sleep is not good. Your body will store more of that sugar than burn it. I really don't agree with eating anything before you slumber unless your bulking.

armz_ha
02-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Really the sugar before you sleep is not good. Your body will store more of that sugar than burn it. I really don't agree with eating anything before you slumber unless your bulking.

even when bulking eating sugar before bed is not good. It really does GET you fat in no time... stick to protein or good fats before bed!

motivated216
02-07-2005, 11:16 AM
try cottage cheese and natural peanut butter

cobraman1994
02-07-2005, 11:18 AM
eat fruit during your normal meals. not before bed

Johnbe
02-07-2005, 11:23 AM
even when bulking eating sugar before bed is not good. It really does GET you fat in no time... stick to protein or good fats before bed!

I agree, I only ment eating before bed in general, not implying sugars are good before bed.

TigerJam
02-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Sorry to be the downer in this thread, but you don't want fruit before bed. It has carbs and you want to try to stay away from carbs before bed. But I mean man, that's just me. I mean it's fruit for goodness sake and it you want to eat it, why not....

Fruit bad before bed. You can have cottege cheese (casien protien) and a carb like spinach.

DowntoGoal
02-07-2005, 01:02 PM
No carbs before bed lol ;)

Jules Verne
02-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Fuit by itself - no

Fuit w/cottage cheese+fat is fine. It is slow slowly digesting and low GI there is no way it's going to 'make you fat' if it is within your calories and marcos.

The only time I don't eat fruit is within 2 hours of a workout.

bodybuilder45
02-07-2005, 10:50 PM
an apple before bed is perfectly fine. everyone is just brainwashed by Dr. Atkins that these carbs are bad. apples have fructose which is low GI and fiber. the digestion is slow and will slow protein synthesis which is good at night time. this wont make u fat. trust me, i do it, and im 7-8% bodyfat. i wish this forum would require pics so you know who you are taking advice from.

krustster
02-08-2005, 09:30 AM
After workouts you need protein, NOT fruit. Before bed you don't want a bunch of fructose in you! Stay away from that **** before bed and just eat some cottage cheese.

Most of the advice in this thread so far is ass. If you have something like an apple or an orange before bed, it's NOT going to make you fat, especially if you're as hungry as you say you are. There is no point to starving yourself just because you're "not supposed to have carbs before bed". Least of all should you be worried about apples; their GI is only 30 or so and they have only 20-30 grams of carbs anyway. I think it's pretty unlikely to get fat from an extra 100 calories before bed just because it's "before bed", especially if your body is running low (in other words, you feel really hungry) and ESPECIALLY from some of the most harmless carbohydrates you can find. I mean, give me a break. The guy's about to go 8 hours without eating ANYTHING, and an apple is somehow going to be stored as fat because you "don't need energy while you sleep"? What do you think your body uses to power its vital functions? Air? Magic?

Protein is most important but fruit is almost always good for you unless it puts you over your calorie limit. Not to mention to all the jackasses who said "eat cottage cheese instead," he said he doesn't have any protein and just needs something to eat before bed. Jeez.

*hands out negative reps*

IcyHot
02-08-2005, 09:40 AM
I eat fruit all the time before bed and I am 8% bodyfat. I never gain any fat from it. Usually an apple+cottage cheese suits me fine.

Johnbe
02-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey Krust,
There is no need to bag those whom speak from personal experience. I understand your view. Looking towards optimal fat loss, my suggestion stands! Absolutely no need for neg rep just because you feel your right over everyone else! Pretty bad post bro imho.

Johnbe
02-09-2005, 12:10 PM
I eat fruit all the time before bed and I am 8% bodyfat. I never gain any fat from it. Usually an apple+cottage cheese suits me fine.

Congrats on the awesome metabolism! I look foreword to the day! Unfortunately, a lot of us are still trying to tune ours up.

miked512
02-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Its supposedly bad to eat fruit or any carbs for that matter 3 hours before bed. Thats a bit more anal than what most of the people on the board have said. It may all be dependent on the GI and the amount of carbs the piece of fruit is going to give you. I for one, wouldn't eat an apple, banana, peach, pineapple or a number of other fruits right before bed. Just because I know it'll go through my system so fast I'll be waking up in 3 hours to hit the restroom instead of getting all the sleep I want.

The only fruit I can say I'm guilty of before bed are those wonderful clementines. :-) Those really make my day even though based off the size, i doubt they even have more than 20g of carbs. maybe even less ...

I doubt one piece of fruit is significantly bad if the rest of your diet is in order, but you probably don't want to go overboard.

Most likely the best thing for you to do is try it for a while. If you find your gaining weight and/or fat, then quit. If not, keep at it. Its better to find out what exactly works for your body (within reason) then completely following the masses in what works for a large majority of the population.

krustster
02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
I think it makes sense to give out negative reps if you think somebody is giving bad advice. The rep thing even gives you the option of "I approve" or "I disapprove". I disapprove of the anti-fruit advice in this thread. :cool:

DowntoGoal
02-09-2005, 02:35 PM
You shouldn't hand out neg reps if you thionk the advice people give is wrong. People are talking about their personal experiences and routine and if you don't agree, then don't do it. I disapprove of your disapproving, but I ain't going to hand out a neg rep.

Still ain't eating fruit before bed tho...

Johnbe
02-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Think of it this way...your trying to lose fat, you go to bed two hours after your last meal, your body needs to burn something to keep going, so first it looks to the carbs in the intestines...oopps, there are none...therefore I need another source....oh look over here, there is some fat. it may not make a difference over night, but in a month it can make a difference of a couple pounds...in my opinion. I remember being at 12% bf before last summer and being able to get away with the little things, like eating an apple before bed. But when your heavy, its the small things that kill your diet! fitfaq.com suggest, "If you fast for 11 hours (8 PM to 7 am for instance) your body will begin burning significant amounts of fat around the 5th hour (1 am) and continue to do so until you wake up." helping prove the point I'm trying to make (along with a few others here).

MynameisMike
02-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't a low GI carb be worse before bed? For example oatmeal because it takes so long to digest, you'll be sleeping on energy?

krustster
02-09-2005, 05:31 PM
It depends on what you want I guess. If you want to burn fat at all costs, then by all means don't eat anything before bed. But if you've seen RoAR's pics you know he is pretty much huge (and not fat), so going to bed on an empty stomach would be putting his muscle at risk since you can certainly lose muscle in a fasted (sleeping) state.

And just to reinforce my point, an apple is usually less than 100 calories. Even if you stored the WHOLE thing as fat, that would be less than an ounce of fat. Even less likely to happen to a big, muscular guy.

Kolo
02-09-2005, 06:56 PM
I have been on a real specific diet for a few weeks now, trying to cut but keep/add muscle as well. I usually work out around 7:00pm-8:00pm or 8:00pm-9:00pm, and I always have some sort of fruit or berries right after working out. Of course they are always coupled with a protein source, but the carbs help transfer the protein throughout your body while your sleeping. As long as you stay below your daily calorie intake, you will not all the sudden gain weight from eating one apple/orange/pear/ etc. If you ask me, it all depends on what you do prior to going to bed. If you worked out, then fruit is a good idea, if you didn't just get finished with working out, I would say just stick to a protein source before bed.
I have had experience with doing each side of the spectrum. From no carbs after 7:00pm, to having fruit right before bed. For me, they both worked fine, as long as they were timed with my workouts.

Fruit is good for you, bottom line. Eat it up!