PDA

View Full Version : Egg white powder?

DanSM
02-02-2005, 12:09 AM
I been making lots of protein recipies that use a ton of egg whites but it takes me ages to seperate them all and they keep breaking :( Anyway I found this stuff called egg white powder that you mix in water but it didnt say anything about neutritional values on the packet, does anyone know if this has the same amount of protien as normal egg whites?

DanSM
02-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Anyone? :(

Bajarock3
02-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Anyone? :(

Hm, Sorry I don't Know The answer, but that's a VERY Good Question.
Hope Somebody Knows.

xenithon
02-02-2005, 01:06 PM
I been making lots of protein recipies that use a ton of egg whites but it takes me ages to seperate them all and they keep breaking :( Anyway I found this stuff called egg white powder that you mix in water but it didnt say anything about neutritional values on the packet, does anyone know if this has the same amount of protien as normal egg whites?

Only if it is a true egg albumin powder (made as a protein powder). These are instantised to keep the protein and mineral content. They are around 80% protein in general, no carbs, no fats. Beware of egg substitute powder which is very different. These are used in food prep instead of eggs, such as cakes and breads. They are normally composed of very processed junk, carbs and fillers.

X

ballbags1
02-02-2005, 01:08 PM

here's one of the products sold on bb.com which is a pure egg white powder
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bioplex/simply.html
check out the supplement facts, I would think most egg white powders would be similiar

Makeupmonsterdo
02-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Wow--I haven't tried cooking with my egg white protein powder. Mixed with water, will it scramble or set up like regular egg whites?

ballbags1
02-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Wow--I haven't tried cooking with my egg white protein powder. Mixed with water, will it scramble or set up like regular egg whites?

I'm pretty sure you can mix the egg white powder with water and make scrambled eggs this way (it would be similiar to egg beaters)

xenithon
02-02-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty sure you can mix the egg white powder with water and make scrambled eggs this way (it would be similiar to egg beaters)

I have to disagree there. I did quite a bit of research when I was buying my eggwhite powder. The eggwhite protein powder (the good stuff) is like any normal protein powder in that it should be mixed to make a shake or pudding, added to CC etc. You can however bake with it as a flavorant and protein enhancer, for example making protein bars, without worrying too much about denaturing (which would happen to whey for example). The stuff you can mix and scramble is egg white SUBSTITUTE which are not really good for you at all.

X

Shylock
02-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Are you kidding you cant sperate an egg? The best way to seperate an egg if you still have not cultivated the skill is to peel an egg while its still hot. I peel mine straight from the boil. I just drop it in cold water for 10sec and peeeeeeeel away. takes less than 5 secs ot peel an egg.

now go and try this and tell me what happened...

DanSM
02-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Why do people post replies to threads they dont even read... I have no problem pealing a boiled egg Im talking about separating the white from the yolk in a raw egg, which can be very difficult when you do about 10 of them and the yolk keeps breaking.

Anyway back on topic, the powder I used says itís made from pasteurised dried hen egg albumin and you mix 1 sachet with 60ml warm water to get 2 egg whites. I tried this on some cakes and they were slightly different but still tasted just as good. Im still not sure though, did that cake have the same amount of protein in it as it would if I had made it with real eggs? I dont understand how you can turn the egg white into powder without loosing some of its protein.

V5RED
02-03-2005, 01:59 AM
i had egg protein powder, the protein was 100%egg whites......let me tell you this **** is NASTY

-foams worse than soap when mixed w/ liquid
-smells like poison
-tastes worse
-the farts this stuff gives you makes your typical protein fart smell like roses, i let 3 go and it stunk up a whole floor of my dorm, the farts continued till i threw away the powder in exchange for whey

this stuff is horrible and definately not something worth buying, hell you couldnt pay me to use it again

mick123
02-03-2005, 02:07 AM
I think a website called eggwhites international or something sells gallon tubs of egg whites.