PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Problem

MoveItAndLoseIt
01-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Hey Guys I got this problem and im hoping you guys could help me.

Ive been doing cardio for about 3 weeks now and in the biggining i was doing great. As time went on my right leg had a deep sorta sharp pain in the calf, and its getting worse everyday. I do cardio 6 days a week and after a 15 min run, the pain is so annoying i dont feel like doing any more. any solutions guys? this issue is bringin me down

Malaka1985
01-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Are you overweight or anything?

georgiacorn
01-31-2005, 06:51 PM
just to be clear it IS in your calf, as in the rear of the leg and not the front shin, right? if its on the side or in the front, could be shin splints, which are tough to get around.
second, try non impact cardio. i assume you are using a treadmill, which can be hard on the legs, knees. try a stationary bike or ellipitical if you're not already. my knees ache like crap after being flogged for 20 minutes on the treadmill. i just do HIIT cardio now on the bike or elliptical for 15 minutes and burn fat just fine and my legs don't hurt.

nithos
02-01-2005, 08:39 AM
To add to the above post:

Make sure you have proper form, stretch well before (after 10 minute warmup) and after, stay hydrated.

Johnbe
02-01-2005, 09:33 AM
I agree with the ABSOLUTE need to stretch! I also know that I trained a mile runner last year for Track and he had the same problem...Overtraining and undernutrition was the verdict. He was running around ten miles a day, but he was an athlete. You might have started too strong if you just started. I would suggest the olyptical which uses little calf movement yet still gives good results.

MC26VA
02-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Great suggestions all around. I'd also add if the above don't help, try some supplements for joints, which may be partially to blame. I've been taking MSM (expensive but worth every penny) Chondroitin and Glucosamine, all of which come together in one pill, which i take 4 times daily. Good luck bro.

-Mike

MoveItAndLoseIt
02-01-2005, 07:51 PM
thanks everyone very insightfull
i dont run on a treadmill i actullay do laps around my block.
i just wanna get my daily dose of cardio
i have a tony little gazelle, lol, but i dont know if that actually does anything..
does anyone here use one for their cardio workouts? would anyone acctually reccomend or suggest it?

Johnbe
02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
thanks everyone very insightfull
i dont run on a treadmill i actullay do laps around my block.

Try to be sure to pound the dirt and grass rather than the pavement. Running on cement and/or pavement can really screw your legs up. Also, make sure your shoes are right for you. There are many places that make custom insoles that fit to YOUR foot in your shoes, these insoles are expensive, but may be worth the investment.

MoveItAndLoseIt
02-01-2005, 09:18 PM
There are many places that make custom insoles that fit to YOUR foot in your shoes, these insoles are expensive, but may be worth the investment.

Thx John
i acctually have great insoles :) some gel masaging ones. Plus, my shoes are made by doctor scholls :P i was so sure its not my shoes but i may be wrong.
is it ok to run on pavement with these? cause i dont wanna start running on peoples lawns....ill have to wake up much more early to do that lol:)

But what i really wanna know ...is that gazelle thing i have good for cardio?

Johnbe
02-02-2005, 09:36 AM
But what i really wanna know ...is that gazelle thing i have good for cardio?

You got me there bro?! I would say try it and let US know! Other than that I would suggest running elsewhere, where you can run in the dirt or grass.