PDA

View Full Version : Best post workout shake

eggnite
01-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi. I wanna make a good pwo shake but I dont know what to put in it. I have whey protien for supplements but thats it. With that in mind what would you reccomend I throw into the blender after my workout?

xxghostxx
01-29-2005, 09:37 AM
This thread should help...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

eggnite
01-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks, that helped. The only problem is that I dont have dextrose (whatever that is), what else can you make post-workout shakes from that will be effective? Preferably a common household item.

RipStone
01-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks, that helped. The only problem is that I dont have dextrose (whatever that is), what else can you make post-workout shakes from that will be effective? Preferably a common household item.

Oats will work. Also, gatorade powder is like dextrose. You can find gatorade powder at most grocery stores.

eggnite
01-29-2005, 10:50 AM
oats? like oatmeal? But I thought those were low GI?

Sixpack
01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Yup oats will work, low GI is fine postworkout

Oats will work. Also, gatorade powder is like dextrose. You can find gatorade powder at most grocery stores.

eggnite
01-29-2005, 11:31 AM
just curious, does honey have anything in it that would be good postworkout?

xxghostxx
01-29-2005, 11:32 AM

If you are going to go for a preformed powder carbohydrate, at least go with Powerade is it's predominately glucose (dex) oriented. Also, if you want to go with ordinary household things, white potatoes are both High GI, no fat, little fiber, and not nutrient empty. Their are a myriad of options, just gotta hit the search button, because their has been LOTS of pwo shake talk in the last few months.

Rippd
01-29-2005, 11:37 AM

Oats are a poor choice post workout, they have too much fiber and fat which slows down gastric emptying and will slow down absorbtion of your protein.

Kurz
01-29-2005, 11:37 AM
You are correct...oats are low GI and NOT optimal postworkout. If your goals are to get as strong as possible, incorporating a high gi beverage with your whey immidiately PW, is a fantastic start.....

If you are just looking to maintain your size and really not make too much progress in terms of strength and mass, than pretty much anything will work......

eggnite
01-29-2005, 12:01 PM
howabout instant mash (potatoes) are they any good?

0.5 g fat
18 g carbs
1 g sugar
1 g fiber
2 g protien

thats for a 3 tbsp serving of mash, would that be good for post workout if I put about 4 servings in my shake a long with 44 g whey protien and soymilk? should I replace soy milk with water?

lamby
01-29-2005, 12:16 PM
mash potatoes is fine. no butter i hope and carbs should be up to about 70grams if you have that much protein

Kurz
01-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi. I wanna make a good pwo shake but I dont know what to put in it. I have whey protien for supplements but thats it. With that in mind what would you reccomend I throw into the blender after my workout?
WHelp, before I knew jack about nutition (college) I used to SLAM a 12" footlong tuna with everything on my way home from the gym. I honest to GOd had no idea what a protein shake and dextrose were, no idea how many carbs or protein to eat, just knew I trained my ass off and was hungrier than ****.........no doubt I made my absolute best gains this way.......sure, I was 19ish, my metab. was through the roof, and I was realitvely new to training, so my gains were intense.

Now (28) it's a little harder to put on the mass and I need to really pay attention to my post workout meal.......ever sonce I started using dext/whey, I'm had great success..........I tried the oats for two weeks so that I could comment on and they did nothing for me........made me tired, bloated and not nearly has pumped and full as the sugar/whey combo.....+ since you are using a fast gi carb like dext, you get hugrier sooner.........which is even better, so it allows you to scarf down a nice meal later on.......this is where your complex carb (potatoes, oats, brown rice, whole wheat products) come into play!

Just my .02....take it how u wish...........

eggnite
01-29-2005, 12:32 PM
never mind about the instant mash in the blender...it tastes morbid...but thats just my opinion