PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition on a budget?

Tom Knighton
01-22-2005, 07:13 AM
This is my first post, and I figured I would use it to ask the most nagging questions I could think of ;).

When I was in highschool, I was 5'8" and weighed 135 lbs. I had "natural" sixpack abs (I say natural because I didn't do crunches or anything for it) and a metabolism that could have won the Indy 500. However, time caught up to me bigtime, and I ballooned up to 245 lbs. I was a blob, and got down to 220 lbs, but I'm not sure how except that depression over a death of a close family member kept me from eating so much. That was 2002, and I'm thrilled that I haven't put it back on. But I'm still a blob, at least in my mind. But money is very tight. My wife works only part time, and I have a fairly low wage job while I hope for my new business to take off, and every "healthy" way I know of to eat is pretty pricey. And when two people are buying food for three people, it tightens the budget a bit more.

My question is if anyone has any advice on the best way to eat healthy AND inexpensively?

Thanks for any help you guys have.

Tom

souldamage2004
01-22-2005, 09:07 AM
I feed my family of 4 on $13.39 an hour. Single income family. I also buy different food than my wife and two kids eat, so it is almost like a double grocery bill. So my first question is, do you have a Super Wal-Mart neer you?

RipStone
01-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Join a bulk food store like Sam's Club or Costco and stock up on healthy food. Stuff there is super cheap. I always buy oats, chicken breasts, veggies, fruit, salmon, there. They also have cottage cheese and tuna but I don't like the brands...

Big Hoss
01-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Hey man, dont worry about that. There are a lot of ways to eat cheap. You can buy a tall can of of fashioned oats (great carb) for 99 cent just about anywhere. Eggs by the dozen cost about 75 cent (great protein-egg WHITE), fat free cottage cheese is also a buck 50. Tuna you can get 2 for a dollar. Cashews/mixed nuts unsalted(good fat) is always on sale somewhere. Water is free. lets do it dog!

wxlittlemanxk
01-22-2005, 02:03 PM
oats are generally verrry cheap, buy the generic kinds u can get a huge tub for about a dollar. buy stuff in bulk at costco and listen to what these other guys had to say. eating healthy can be cheap and easy dont worry about it. personally i get canned tuna and it lasts me forever on just a few bucks. good luck man.

Tom Knighton
01-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone!

There is a Super Wal-Mart here. I hate shopping there, but that's because I'm not a big fan of crowds and this place is always packed. I've wanted to join Sam's, but haven't had the chance to do it just yet. I'll have to see to that.

Now the fun part will be eating healthy stuff and make sure it tastes good, since I learned early in life that you can always eat tasty, no matter what your dietary restrictions may be!

Thanks again everyone!

Tom

lamby
01-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Join a bulk food store like Sam's Club or Costco and stock up on healthy food. Stuff there is super cheap. I always buy oats, chicken breasts, veggies, fruit, salmon, there. They also have cottage cheese and tuna but I don't like the brands...

bump! im on a budget too. every meal i eat is under .60 cents

bronx_brawla
06-14-2005, 08:44 PM
ok...these memberships for these wholesale places are expensive...their like 150 dollers a year...and there food is'nt cheap either...everybody talks about how its cheaper in the long run...its really not...i work part time...and i only make like...120 a week....how the f#ck am i supposed to get 100 dollers worth of food for the week?...plus other bills i gotta pay?