PDA

View Full Version : Frostfox's "girls run from me because I'm fat" fat loss/strength gain log ^_^

Pages : [1] 2

FrostFox
07-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey there everyone,

As you may have probably guessed from the title, my primary goal is fat loss. I never was in any kind of shape, and I've been on many fad workouts and diets and they have all failed (spectacularly, I might add). Every latest greatest magazine cover workout, or ebook super secret from an ancient chinese civilization passed on through the navy seals channeled through a radio tower that receives alien signals diet etc... I have tried. My weight is only going up at this point.

I finally came to the conclusion that there are no shortcuts in getting healthy, and set a goal to lose weight "the healthy way" at a rate of 2 pounds per week. I also want to bulk up a little bit, I don't want to be skinny by any stretch of the imagination.

Characteristics: (as of today)
5'8"
189.2 lbs
27 years old
waist: 36.75"

Starting July 1st, I went on Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program, and adopted the following diet:

Schedule
---------
Sunday: cheat day
Monday to Saturday: 6 meals, ~300-400 Cal each; at least 160g of protein per day, carbs ~130 and a little bit of fat.

Foods
------
"clean" foods only except on Sunday: whole weat bread, tuna, salmon, extra lean ground beef, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, meal replacements, protein bars, skim milk, all natural peanut butter, etc.

My workout program is a slightly modified Rippetoes, with arm curls on "A" workout days and weighted decline crunches on "B" workout days. It's a Monday/Wednesday/Friday split, alternating between "A" workout days and "B" workout days.

"A" workout days:
Squat, 3x5
Bench Press, 3x5
Deadlift, 1x5
Curls, 2x8

"B" workout days:
Squat, 3x5
Military Press, 3x5
Pendlay Rows, 3x5
Weighted Decline Crunches, 2x8

My gains are as follows: (in pounds)
Squat: 115 ----------> 165
Bench Press: 115 ----------> 135
Deadlift: 115 ----------> 190
Seated Preacher Curls: 65 ----------> 70
Military Press: 70 ----------> 95
Pendlay Rows: 70 ----------> 90
Crunches: 0/0 ----------> 25/45

Cardio/HIIT:
I think the biggest reason for my failure to lose much (if any) fat the first month was my lack of cardio. Either that, or I am eating too much...

This month I will be adding 40 minutes of low-moderate intensity cardio in the morning, fasted, 6 days a week. Once I get in shape for HIIT (probably next month) I will convert it to ~15 minutes of HIIT.

Physical changes:
My weight went from 189.4 pounds in the first month to... 189.2 pounds at the beginning of the second. So overall, I am quite disappointed in the fat loss aspect of my regime. It was very demoralizing stepping on that scale and seeing not one damn thing changed.

My waist lost an inch. Kind of surprising because two weeks in, I measured it and actually GAINED about half an inch... so only July 1st, I was 37.75", now my waist is down to 36.75". Looks like I may have gained some muscle :P

Any comments, suggestions, encouragement, flames, etc. please, let me have it.

I will be updating this log WEEKLY with measurements and random thoughts, and if I make some big gains in the gym well I may as well throw them in too.

Thank you!

plAythiNG
08-01-2007, 03:31 AM
dunno bout that rippletoes diet thingy, but if u want weight loss, do more cardio thean lifting, myself, i do 3 days cardio, 2 days lifting, 2 days rest.

FrostFox
08-01-2007, 10:34 AM
dunno bout that rippletoes diet thingy, but if u want weight loss, do more cardio thean lifting, myself, i do 3 days cardio, 2 days lifting, 2 days rest.

I didn't explain it clearly enough in my initial post: the Rippetoe workout is a Monday/Wednesday/Friday split, alternating between workouts A and B. I'll be doing cardio Monday through Saturday in the morning. I hate cardio but oh well no pain no gain right?

FrostFox
08-06-2007, 01:21 PM
All this talk about the velocity diet has gotten me thinking. I've read pretty much all of the V-diet threads (including the ones where the people have failed) and I'm fairly confident I can survive a 28 day cycle. After all, I already survived a month's worth of healthy eating, something I have never done before. Then again I had cheat days at the end of the week which I always fear have hamstrung my progress.

I'm especially motivated to try it given its very quick results. Hell, if I go on it, I may stay on it until I get down to 10% and do a clean bulk from there. I'll be getting my bodyfat tested today.

If I go on it, you'll see an update tomorrow. Until then.

Hotmoltenlava
08-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey Frostfox!

Welcome and good luck on your goals.

My advice would be to continue doing what you are doing. You seem to be doing well with it. V-diet is very difficult and may be too big of a change for you, since you are new to the lifestyle. You can always try it later, once you get in the groove for a while. Feel free to give it a try, though. Just thought I would give you something to think about.

Have a good one.

petergray
08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Hey Frostfox!

Welcome and good luck on your goals.

My advice would be to continue doing what you are doing. You seem to be doing well with it. V-diet is very difficult and may be too big of a change for you, since you are new to the lifestyle. You can always try it later, once you get in the groove for a while. Feel free to give it a try, though. Just thought I would give you something to think about.

Have a good one.

I agree. I think adjusting to a sensible "lifestyle" plan sets you up for V-diet if you choose to go that way. Showing you can be consistent and resist older, bad habits should give you the flag if you want to go to v-diet, but I would stick to a solid plan first.

And I have to disagree with plaything, I would focus more on weight training (compound lifts) above cardio, but still incorporate cardio into your routine. It's important to build strong, lean muscle so that your body becomes more efficient as well as avoid the dreaded "skinny fat" results that will come from more cardio than weights.

FrostFox
08-06-2007, 05:36 PM
My advice would be to continue doing what you are doing. You seem to be doing well with it. V-diet is very difficult and may be too big of a change for you, since you are new to the lifestyle.

Thanks for the advice. Well, I already bought what I needed for the diet... so it's too late now. I am going through with it!

There is no sense in me bulking if I am going to put on 3 pounds of fat for every pound of lean muscle. My newbie gains have slowed, so it's time for cut or bulk. Right now I am hovering at around 25% and frankly I'm depressed. I want to cut my stomach and ass open with a knife and rip the fat out with my bare hands. :) As you can see, I am quite frustrated with my weight.

I've always gone into weight loss half-heartedly, but now I am more motivated than ever before. I am being teased constantly about my weight. Girls who look at me frown, and it's pretty depressing when it happens :P

I think adjusting to a sensible "lifestyle" plan sets you up for V-diet if you choose to go that way.

I have already reached the conclusion that I can stay on my sensible diet indefinitely, especially with one cheat day per week. Actually, I think I could stay on it forever with a single cheat meal per week.

Motivation is easy these days. If I see something tempting, I just picture a bunch of hot girls making fun of me for being fat.

Works. Every. Time.

Update to come in a few hours after I crunch all the numbers.

FrostFox
08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
All right, today is my last day of "regular" eats. Tomorrow, I begin the Velocity Diet. *cue suspenseful music*

I would first like to thank everyone on these forums that has gone through this crazy diet, whether you completed it or not. Your insight that you graciously shared with us has been and will continue to be invaluable.

Yes, I have gone absolutely crazy. Deal with it. I want results, and I want them now.

I plan to stay on this diet until I hit a bf% low enough to cut (~10%). Then bulk to 15, cut to 8, repeat ad nauseum. Yes, I might be on this diet for longer than 28 days. If I die, you'll be able to tell because this journal has stopped updating ;)

Okay, so here are the details of the diet:

Workout Days:
- 5 x 2 scoops of some random brand whey shake mixed with ice water.
240g of protein, ~10g of carbs, 1200 calories
- 6 x single serving of Metamucil fiber supplement
30g of carbs, 120 calories
- 3 x Omega 3 6 9 supplement capsules
~100 calories
- 1.5 cups of all-natural orange juice to replace water in the post-workout shake
3g protein, 41g of carbs, 165 calories

Workout days, total calories: ~1585
Non-workout days, total calories: ~1420

I also plan to take some random brand of fat burners I have left over. I have about a week's supply. After that, I may switch to something else, I haven't yet decided.

I'll take two multivitamins each day as well to get the rest of my necessary micros.

I'm not telling anybody I know in real life that I'm going on this diet. I'm wondering just how long it will take them to notice... place your bets now!

I'll be updating this journal daily as a motivation tool. I'll only be weighing myself weekly... the scale has been laughing at me the last couple of days and I haven't been in a hurry to visit him.

The diet starts tomorrow, and I'll weigh in and measure at that point. I'll use the scale's (crappy) bf estimate. I went to a gym to get it done professionally, but they asked for $50 for a multipoint caliper test!

This will be one hell of ride, that's for sure.

update: I'll be continuing with my Rippetoe's workout plan, but probably stay at a constant weight throughout on most lifts. I'll do some biking, probably 20 minutes per day.

FrostFox
08-07-2007, 11:40 AM
- DAY ONE - DAY ONE - DAY ONE - DAY ONE - DAY ONE - DAY ONE - DAY ONE - DAY ONE - DAY ONE - DAY ONE -

Starting Stats:

Weight: 190.6
Waist: 37.75"
Hips: 43"
Bodyfat: 25.6% (estimate)

I'm still a little bloated from my cheat, but this goes to show how a much a full cheat day can change things. Anybody who's serious about losing weight should limit themselves to a cheat meal once per week and should make sure they don't exceed their maintenance calories for that day.

But I digress. I think the key to succeeding in this endeavor is primarily motivation. Like joining any elite military unit, the primary battle is not physical as it appears to be, but a battle of will.

I sometimes watch videos for motivation. Simply put, they let me know what is possible if I dedicate myself to my training and diet. I'd like to share one with you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS0GGC_LD2U
Strength Feat Compilation

And so it begins. I'll do some cardio later on tonight. Time to have that first shake. I'll update this thread again at the end of the day.

FrostFox
08-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Well I just had my first shake. I didn't throw up, yay! Though the taste is kind of weird, and I can see myself getting sick of it in a few weeks. Days. Hours.

My shakes are 2 scoops of whey and 2 spoonfuls of fibre. I can only fix about 1.5 cups of water in the mixer after that. So now, I will instead only do one scoop of whey and one spoonful of fibre, and put in 2 cups of water. I'll end up drinking 10+ cups of water a day this way, and the taste will be reduced to nothing. And I prefer nothing over something I don't like, don't we all? :)

Caffeine pills... damn, I can already feel that **** working and I'm only 1/3rd of the max dosage.

The insanity has begun and I'm loving every minute of it.

Note: the updates will be rather frequent at the beginning as I experience the transition for the first time, but it will be old hat soon enough and I'll drop down to update per day. Enjoy my increased activity while it lasts!

FrostFox
08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
End of Day 1. I'm off to the gym to do some cardio and to clear my head. One shake to go.

I've read about people who give up television: it seem that, for most, it hurts very much for a week or so, but after a few weeks they don't care anymore. Could it be the same for food?

Even after being on this diet for a day, I have gained so much respect for people who have been on it. The amount of willpower it requires is incredible.

Upon further reflection, I have decided to weigh myself daily. Seeing those pounds melt off can only further my resolve.

That's all for today.

Update:

Cardio: 20 minutes of some weird thing, 200 calories burned. I can hear Lava laughing at my pussy ass right now :(

Mackoek
08-08-2007, 04:49 AM
End of Day 1. I'm off to the gym to do some cardio and to clear my head. One shake to go.

I've read about people who give up television: it seem that, for most, it hurts very much for a week or so, but after a few weeks they don't care anymore. Could it be the same for food?

Even after being on this diet for a day, I have gained so much respect for people who have been on it. The amount of willpower it requires is incredible.

Hi man,

well...i dont think its te same with food...not for me, but what works for me to lower the craving for food. Is watch food :P

i know ,sounds silly....but turn on the tv and choose the food network or something. I like those shows with gordon ramsay and jamie oliver.

well...hang in there mate, goodluck

FrostFox
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
- DAY TWO - DAY TWO - DAY TWO - DAY TWO - DAY TWO - DAY TWO - DAY TWO - DAY TWO - DAY TWO - DAY TWO -

Weight: 187.4
change: -3.2 lbs

Looks like I lost the water weight from my cheat + more. I also slept almost 10 hours... a side effect of a low calorie and low carb diet, no doubt.

Off to buy some better-tasting protein powder, then hit the gym.

stark6935
08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Good luck on your journey.

FrostFox
08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Good luck on your journey.

Thanks!

i know ,sounds silly....but turn on the tv and choose the food network or something.

I would go insane. I am already dreaming of eating chicken and pancakes... for me that would probably exacerbate the problem ;)

All right, I switched brands of whey. I'll be using the old stuff as a post-workout shake, because it doesn't taste good mixed with pretty much anything except orange juice.

My whey is now coming from ISO Sensation (current flavor: cookies and cream). Just had my first shake... wow, so much better than the old crap. It didn't wow me but it didn't make me gag either.

Found a spelling mistake on the label as I was reading it. I wonder how many people noticed it. Can't be that many, seeing as it's still there. :)

I'm switching from 10 scoops of whey down to 9. Doing the math, it pretty much preserves the status quo (I don't need 300g of protein per day).

1 scoop of ISO Sensation isolate contains 1g of carbs, 30g of protein, and 130 calories. Multiply that by 9, and I have 9g of carbs, 270g of protein, and 1170 calories.

On my workout days where I still use the old powder in my post-workout shakes, I'll be taking 7 scoops of ISO Sensation isolate (7g carbs, 210g protein, 910 Cal) and 2 scoops of the old crap (2g carbs, 48g protein, 240 Cal) for a total of 1150 calories. Of course, I have the old stuff with 1.5 glasses of OJ.

This math update has been brought to you by ISO Sensation whey: our whey doesn't taste like crap!

phalance
08-08-2007, 04:48 PM
frostfox after reading your blog I'm all in on losing the fat and keeping it off. today is day one I have been surfing this site for a week, getting all types of knowledge and I'm ready I'm 5'6 187 pds with 30% bf. instead of the v diet, i;m going to try the body for life plan. maybe we can encourage each other in our goals

FrostFox
08-08-2007, 06:36 PM
frostfox after reading your blog I'm all in on losing the fat and keeping it off. today is day one I have been surfing this site for a week, getting all types of knowledge and I'm ready I'm 5'6 187 pds with 30% bf. instead of the v diet, i;m going to try the body for life plan. maybe we can encourage each other in our goals

Thanks, I'm looking forward to reading your journal.

However, I need to warn you about the Body for Life plan. The reason why it works better for some people and not for others is... chance. You need to count calories in order to successfully lose weight.

I suggest for beginners a 500 Cal deficit and Rippetoe's starting strength program. There is far too much volume in the Body for Life training plan IMHO. Here's the link:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Good luck, and don't be shy about asking questions on the Fat Loss forum!

FrostFox
08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Just came back from the gym... I made gains!

Squat: 3x5x190 -> 3x5x195 PR! (PR stands for personal record, for those who don't know)
Squats are still quite easy at 195. I felt immediately the fatigue from the lack of carbs in my body as I started my first set, but it didn't keep me from finishing.

Bench Press: 3x5x135 -> 3x5x137.5 PR!
I had someone spot me on the last set, and he "helped" me on my 4th rep. I was damn angry. I was able to do the last rep with about 90% of my max effort so I figure I could have done them all unassisted. I was stuck trying to do 137.5 for a week now, and I finally broke through.

Deadlift: 1x5x190 -> 1x5x205 PR!
Starting to come towards my limits of my grip (I do it double overhand). I really want to keep doing it double overhand because I would like to work out my forearms. I'll be increasing the weight by 10 pounds per workout from now on.

Curls: 2x8x70 -> 2x8x75 PR!
I was stuck unable to finish 2x8x75 for two workout sessions... one more failure would have meant a reset. However, for some reason, 2x8x75 was almost easy (I used to struggle a bit to complete the first set, and I always failed near the end of the second set). I'll be increasing weight by 2.5 pounds per workout here from now on.

Overall great workout. I'll be doing some running later on tonight.

evil/nice
08-08-2007, 11:45 PM
subscribed

Congrats on taking action. Ridicule is a great motivator, unpleasant as hell but effective.

I'm in about the same shape as you, bf and strength wise, and I'm putting off... putting off... putting off... starting my own healthy diet and exercise plan. I think I'm going to have to go ahead and start that up tomorrow man, thanks for the motivation. If you can handle eating nothing but protein shakes I think I can handle my chicken breast and tuna fish.

I'd wish you good luck, but we all know luck has nothing to do with it. Instead, I wish you strong willpower!

FrostFox
08-09-2007, 12:25 AM
subscribed

Congrats on taking action. Ridicule is a great motivator, unpleasant as hell but effective.

I'm in about the same shape as you, bf and strength wise, and I'm putting off... putting off... putting off... starting my own healthy diet and exercise plan. I think I'm going to have to go ahead and start that up tomorrow man, thanks for the motivation. If you can handle eating nothing but protein shakes I think I can handle my chicken breast and tuna fish.

I'd wish you good luck, but we all know luck has nothing to do with it. Instead, I wish you strong willpower!

I have to thank you, posts like yours help me keep going. It's great to know that my dedication to this diet is helping others. Of course, the "I finger banged a model after successfully completing this diet" and "after six months of lifting and hard core dieting, hot girls come up to me and lick my face!" posts also help motivation for me ;)

Trust me when I say unhealthy food doesn't taste all that much better than healthy food. Eggs are wonderful (eat the whole f*cking egg), and whole wheat/multigrain tastes much better than white bread. Tuna and salmon are no problem, especially with no-fat mayo. Muscle milk with 2 cups of 2% tastes as good as a chocolate shake, no lie. And it's good for you too!

Plan out your diet/exercise program (DO RIPPETOE'S) and start a journal. We'll be here to cheer you on.

Cheers.

FrostFox
08-09-2007, 02:54 AM
End of day 2. Got a little sick today, but I am handling it. Probably side effects of those caffeine pills...

Didn't do cardio today... I just didn't have the energy. The weight room took everything out of me.

One more shake to go, then it's off to bed.

FrostFox
08-09-2007, 03:39 PM
- DAY THREE - DAY THREE - DAY THREE - DAY THREE - DAY THREE - DAY THREE - DAY THREE - DAY THREE - DAY THREE - DAY THREE -

Weight: 185.6
change: -1.8 lbs

Another pound or so of water weight has come off. In terms of measurements, a quick look showed that I still have not come back from what looks to be a massive cheat I had on Sunday! Don't eat a whole pizza on cheat days, kids :)

I awoke refreshed and with no hunger pains, but I know it's time to eat. Ugh, I mean drink. ;) Going to do some cardio today, 20 minutes. I have DOMS from yesterday's workout, but fairly mild. I'm quite interested in seeing how this diet will affect my recovery ability. Seeing as how I squat 3 times per week, I'll know for sure tomorrow.

FrostFox
08-09-2007, 11:09 PM
I've started holding my breath when I drink my shakes... not that the shakes taste bad, but the same thing over and over gets you sick of it in a hurry. Blame it on our DNA programming, which makes us get sick from eating the same thing over and over in order to ensure we eat a wide variety of foods to get all the nutrients our body needs.

Side effects of the caffeine pills really bother me, and I'm only on the first level of the dosage... if it weren't for them, I'm sure I would be feeling a lot better. Keeping my eye on the prize is letting me fight through the pain. I think one other blogger on the fat lost forums who did the v-diet took fat burners, but quit after a week.

I got offered chinese food today. I turned it down without hesitation.

Off to do some cardio soon.

Mackoek
08-10-2007, 02:25 AM
...why are you taking those caffiene pills anyway, why not a fatburner rightaway?

and as far as the shakes go...try different flavours throughout the day!

FrostFox
08-10-2007, 03:06 AM
...why are you taking those caffiene pills anyway, why not a fatburner rightaway?

and as far as the shakes go...try different flavours throughout the day!

Caffeine is a fat burner. At least, that's what I think it is, LOL.

I'm getting chest pains while doing cardio. About 10 minutes is all I can stand... I'm positive it's the pills. When I was on those pills before, I noticed the same thing. I'll lay off the cardio until my supply of pills is exhausted, then start up the cardio again.

I tried a few sample packs of the other flavors and to be honest they all taste pretty much the same to me. Thanks for the suggestion, though. But I'll be holding my breath as I drink them from now on ;)

One more shake and it's off to bed. I'm really looking forward to day 4. I'm not sure I'll lose any weight tonight, as the majority of the water weight seems to be gone at this point.

Mackoek
08-10-2007, 03:46 AM
yeah , same with me after taking lots of caffeine...always afraid of getting a heart attack lol :P

FrostFox
08-10-2007, 02:50 PM
- DAY FOUR - DAY FOUR - DAY FOUR - DAY FOUR - DAY FOUR - DAY FOUR - DAY FOUR - DAY FOUR - DAY FOUR - DAY FOUR -

Weight: 185.4
change: -0.2 lbs

All right, the water weight is gone. Going to do my "B" workout later during the day.

I woke up before I had finished sleeping craving food. The cravings are getting more and more intense. After I went back to sleep, the cravings have subsided somewhat.

stark6935
08-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I would stop the pills before I stopped the cardio. I never really drink caffeine, but I will once in awhile drink a sprite or something along those lines. Keep on trucking buddy. Reps.

Saint Mike
08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Subscribed

Congratulations on realizing the right way to do it. Some people never get that far.

FrostFox
08-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I would stop the pills before I stopped the cardio. I never really drink caffeine, but I will once in awhile drink a sprite or something along those lines. Keep on trucking buddy. Reps.

Yeah, I'm going to quit the fat burners and see how I feel. I've never found them to be particularly effective, anyway.

Congratulations on realizing the right way to do it. Some people never get that far.

Thanks! When I started I didn't know how may days I was going to make it. I'm going to try my best to make it the whole way.

I'm going to be changing the flavor of my protein shake. Holding my breath takes the taste away, except for the really sweet chocolate bits they throw in... the basic chocolate flavor should eliminate those bits and help me get those shakes down more easily.

Off to the gym in a few.

stark6935
08-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Try the E/C stack. I have been using it, and I am losing pretty quickly, but I seem to be holding my muscle mass for the most part.

FrostFox
08-10-2007, 10:00 PM
All right, back from the gym.

Squats: 3x5x195
Sprained my back a little bit at the end of the first set. I really have to struggle to keep my form.

Military Press: 3x5x100
Barely completed the last set.

Pendlay Rows: 3x5x100 PR!
I really hate this exercise. I may swap it out with pullups soon. I'm not even sure I have the right technique.

Weighted Decline Crunches: 1x8x25, 1x8x45
Have been at this weight for the past two workouts, and it's getting pretty easy. However, I'm not sure what I should do next. Maybe increase the weight on my first set?

I'm feeling a lot better now that I'm off the caffeine pills... those pills mess you up good. I still miss food like crazy, though.

Try the E/C stack.

The pills I took are worth about 4 cups of coffee a piece... that's messing me up. I won't be taking any more fat burners.

jhf
08-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Good luck! I'm going to enjoy reading up on your journal and progress:)

chrischap01
08-10-2007, 11:30 PM
I also tried caffeine pills for a few days and hated it, I felt much better and ate much healthier once I was off of those pills.

FrostFox
08-11-2007, 04:47 AM
About to hit the sack. Unfortunately, my willpower is starting to come under a sustained assault. I haven't wavered yet, but... well, I puked a little in my mouth after taking down the last of today's shakes. Things aren't looking good.

jhf
08-11-2007, 05:34 AM
You should shop around for a different protein powder. There is nothing worse than forcing yourself to drink stuff that tastes nasty.. heh I know I did it for a week before I broke down and tried out a different flavor. Good luck!

Mackoek
08-11-2007, 05:50 AM
men oh men, buy some SYNTHA-6 hier eom bb.com!!

Saint Mike
08-12-2007, 05:42 AM
I've started holding my breath when I drink my shakes... not that the shakes taste bad, but the same thing over and over gets you sick of it in a hurry. I don't think I could ever get sick of my ON Extreme Milk Chocoate. (Or Double Chocolate for that matter!!!). They taste like Nestle Quik.

Bad if you don't like Quik...Good for me though!

chrischap01
08-12-2007, 07:13 AM
I agree, try a different powder. I never get tired of most of the chocolate stuff! The consistency does sometimes make me a little nauseous, though. What I do to combat that is alternate sips between the shake and cold water.

Right now I use evo-pro, which has whey and casein, and I use canned Pure Protein, which I think is just whey. Both are good.

george9856
08-13-2007, 05:11 AM
About to hit the sack. Unfortunately, my willpower is starting to come under a sustained assault. I haven't wavered yet, but... well, I puked a little in my mouth after taking down the last of today's shakes. Things aren't looking good.

hang in there mate, just remmeebr after 27 days u will a completly new person !!! goodluck with it !!

and dont forget to check on my progress either lol
"george's velocity diet log" third person i told today lol :D

FrostFox
08-13-2007, 08:53 PM
As anyone may have guessed by the lack of updates, my experiment with this diet has come to an end. Unfortunately, the inability to find a protein powder that didn't make me gag or vomit made me fall right off the wagon.

Overall, with 4 days, I lost 1 pound after I regained all of my water weight. I have returned to a sensible diet routine. If I ever find a shake whose taste I can stand, I will give this diet another shot. Otherwise, it's slow and steady wins the race.

Sorry to disappoint.

AntonBachuk
08-13-2007, 09:26 PM
at least you tried and got something out of it

george9856
08-13-2007, 10:05 PM
As anyone may have guessed by the lack of updates, my experiment with this diet has come to an end. Unfortunately, the inability to find a protein powder that didn't make me gag or vomit made me fall right off the wagon.

Overall, with 4 days, I lost 1 pound after I regained all of my water weight. I have returned to a sensible diet routine. If I ever find a shake whose taste I can stand, I will give this diet another shot. Otherwise, it's slow and steady wins the race.

Sorry to disappoint.

its always better to lose the weight the sensible diet routine way so goodluck with it mate, and dont worry abt not finishin the velocity diet this time.., next time before u start u will kno wat exactly u need !

goodluck mate !!

FrostFox
08-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Thank you everyone for your support!

After a few days of recovery from the Velocity diet, and some careful planning, I've outlined my new diet:

I'm going to try to stick around ~1450 calories per day, 7 days per week, with clean food 6 days per week. 1 day per week I can eat anything I want but the 1450 calories guideline will remain in effect on the "cheat day". I won't make the mistake again of taking in 4000 calories one day a week! ;) I will also make sure to maintain 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, so that means 140g of protein per day. I'm not concerned with my fat or carbohydrate intake with this diet: these issues should take care of themselves since I'm eating clean food to begin with.

Where did I pull this magic number of 1450 from? Well, according to this article

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/lyle_mcdonald/maximum_fatloss

the body goes after the fat stores first when there is insufficient energy from food. The body can only burn so much fat on a given day, and then it starts to burn muscle for additional energy. I want to avoid this, of course, and keep my hard-earned muscle.

The minimum caloric intake per day for someone looking to preserve muscle mass is

bodyweight * 15 - bodyweight * bodyfat % * 31

which adds up to about 1400 calories for me.

Looking at this, the only difference between this diet and the Velocity Diet is that this diet has carbohydrates, whereas Velocity does not. I'm not under any delusion that this diet will produce results as good, but I'd be ecstatic to lose 2 pounds of fat per week.

I'll try to update every day, but no promises. This isn't a rollercoaster ride like the V-diet was.

Once I cut down to about 8-10%, it's bulking time. I'll probably be on this diet for 4-6 months if I lose about a pound per week of fat. Here's to hoping the fat loss comes a lot quicker.

FrostFox
08-15-2007, 12:41 AM
{DAY 1}

Starting Weight: 190.4 lbs

Breakfast:
1 tsp butter
3 extra large eggs
1 banana
= 415 calories, 21g protein

Lunch:
1 can of Ensure
1 package of sandwich ham
= 375 calories, 42g protein

Dinner:
1 apple
1 serving of Salmon (~100g)
= 195 calories, 26g protein

Snack:
1 tbsp all-natural peanut butter
1 cup of skim milk
= 200 calories, 13g protein

Pre-Sleep Shake:
2 scoops of Iso-vomitation Whey protein shake with water
(what can I say, I have to finish the container!)
= 260 calories, 60g protein

TOTAL: 1445 calories, 160g protein

AntonBachuk
08-15-2007, 08:24 AM
^ that looks pretty good bro

FrostFox
08-16-2007, 02:22 AM
{DAY 2}

Some Notes:
- Mad reps to jhf for his white onion powder with the cottage cheese idea. I've never liked the taste of cottage cheese - not to the point where I dreaded eating it, but it was unpleasant to eat, and I stopped buying it after forcefeeding it to myself for the longest time. Now, with that white onion powder mixed with it, I lick the bowl clean. That spice really complements the taste of cottage cheese and literally takes all the rough edges away!

- I'll just do a detailed checklist of what I eat for the first week or so, so that people can see exactly what my typical meals look like. Typing in all the details gets to be a hassle, and it's likely to be the same stuff over and over again (men are creature of habit, aren't they?). After that point I'll just detail calories and protein.

- Slight modifications to my diet: first, I'll be taking in another 200 or so calories on workout days (mostly from carbs). I need to replace the calories I burn working out, otherwise I will lose muscle (since I am living on a bare minimum of calories right now anyway). Second, I will increase my caloric intake on my cheat day to full maintenance level (about 2400 calories). This is to keep the body from thinking it's starving. Sure, that's one day a week I won't be losing weight, but at least this will keep me from plateauing or burning muscle in the long run. It's also great for sanity retention.

Food

Breakfast:
1 tsp butter
3 extra large eggs
1 banana
= 415 calories, 21g protein

Lunch:
1 can of Ensure
1 package of sandwich turkey
= 375 calories, 45g protein

Dinner:
125g of cottage cheese
2 cups of yogurt
= 200 calories, 23g protein

Snack:
1 cup of skim milk
30g of Life Cereal (this cereal rocks!)
= 230 calories, 12g protein

Workout Shake:
2 scoops of Iso-vomitation Whey protein shake with water
(I may only have 2 or 3 more of these things left, then it's off to get another flavor!)

Extra:
1 cup of Orange juice
= 110 calories, 2g protein

TOTAL: 1590 calories, 163g protein

FrostFox
08-16-2007, 02:29 AM
Workout

Today was a normal day. Upped the weights a bit, I seem to be doing okay.

Squats: 3x5x205 PR!
I won't be stalling this exercise anytime soon. I was blessed with huge legs... my upper body, on the other hand :(

Military Press: 3x5x102.5 PR!
My technique for this exercise has made it a lot easier to bang out reps.

Pendlay Rows: 3x5x102.5 PR!
Personal record yes, correct technique? Absolutely not. I will be glad to be rid of this exercise once I get off Rippetoe's. Hell, I'm willing to learn cleans just to get to stop doing this.

Decline Weighted Crunches: 1x8x25, 1x8x45
This is getting really easy now, though my technique has improved. I'll be upping the weight next time.

AntonBachuk
08-16-2007, 09:45 AM
niceee

FrostFox
08-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Well I wasn't doing the squats correctly... I was going just below parallel. :( I'll start squatting deep/ATG. Unfortunately, that means I'll have to drop about 45 pounds from the squat bar to develop my hammies and move my way up from there.

I may also have too much backward lean in my military presses. More at 11.

AntonBachuk
08-16-2007, 11:04 AM
ya better off taking it slow and light but right, and slowly build up

Saint Mike
08-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Going light weight and making sure your form is correct at first is FAR more important than trying to max out and injuring yourself. Once the form is in muscle memory, moving up the weight will be alot safer.

FrostFox
08-17-2007, 03:46 AM
{DAY 3}

I've taken some informal weigh-ins, and I have to say that this diet seems to be working. I'll weigh in officially on day 8 (and every week thereafter). Here's to hoping 2 pounds of fat per week!

Breakfast:
1 tsp butter
1 extra large egg
2 large eggs
1 banana
= 375 calories, 19g protein

Lunch:
1 can of Ensure
= 435 calories, 42g protein

Dinner:
125g of cottage cheese
2 cups of yogurt
= 200 calories, 23g protein

Snack:
1 tbsp all-natural peanut butter
1 cup of skim milk

Pre-Sleep Shake:
2 scoops of Iso-sensation Whey protein shake with water

TOTAL: 1470 calories, 157g protein

FrostFox
08-18-2007, 03:29 AM
{DAY 4}

Another day on the diet and I'm doing great... diet-wise, at least. Unfortunately, I made 0 progress in the weight room today. More details after I detail today's eats:

Breakfast:
1 tsp butter
3 large eggs
1 banana
= 355 calories, 18g protein

Lunch:
1 apple
1/2 package of sandwich ham
1 large egg
= 215 calories, 21g protein

Dinner:
100g of salmon (I cannot stress enough how much this stuff kicks ass)
2 slices of multigrain bread
= 300 calories, 33g protein

Snack:
50g white almonds
1 cup of skim milk
= 450 calories, 20g protein

Pre-Sleep Shake:

TOTAL: 1580 calories, 152g protein

The inclusion of white almonds may have thrown my macros out of whack for the day, they are just so high in calories! I have another 50g to go through. After that, I won't be buying them again until I go on a clean bulk.

FrostFox
08-18-2007, 03:39 AM
Workout

I've finally hit a workout where I have failed to make gains. I think this is largely due to the extremely large caloric deficit... (between 1000 and 1500 depending on how you calculate my daily caloric needs) - I will know for sure come this Monday when I do my "B" workout and fail to make gains there. If I stall on my B workout lifts, I'll put myself on a maintenance program until this drastic cutting period is over.

Squat: 3x5x165
Doing these ATG now... and boy are my hammies hammered (I know, I know, stupid joke). My quads had no problem taking the weight from parallel up, but below that it was hell. Hopefully the DOMS won't be too bad. I almost failed my last rep, so I'll only be increasing the weight by 5 pounds next time out.

Bench Press: 140 5/4/2
This is an actual decrease in performance from my last time out, where I did 5/4/4. Granted I probalby could have banged out another rep in my last set, I was simply too exhausted and I may have failed to do it.

Deadlift: 225 4
Failed to make my 5 reps. However, this is due to my grip... once I changed over to a split grip I was able to do the last rep, but I am not going to count it since I am insisting I do these double-overhand (I want to develop my grip strength).

Curls: 75 8/7
Well I have a correction to make. I thought this whole time that the EZ curl bar was 25 pounds, when in reality it was just 20. So all previous references to any kind of curling exercise are overstated by 5 pounds. :(

And now for two day's rest from the weight room...

fkn_give_me_abs
08-18-2007, 03:45 AM
I've finally hit a workout where I have failed to make gains. I think this is largely due to the extremely large caloric deficit... (between 1000 and 1500 depending on how you calculate my daily caloric needs) - I will know for sure come this Monday when I do my "B" workout and fail to make gains there. If I stall on my B workout lifts, I'll put myself on a maintenance program until this drastic cutting period is over.

this is understandable mate. It's unrealistic to expect gains on a diet so little in cals. As long as you maintain the same lifting weight you shouldn't lose any muscle though (and if you do start losing weight increase cals asap!!).

Keep it up bro! I may not post in here often but I'm following your progress :D

FrostFox
08-19-2007, 04:14 AM
{DAY 5}

Today I hit the town a day earlier than usual, so I elected today to be my cheat day. One of my favorite restaurants changed locations... so I went to the resto that was in its place, and had just about the worst meal of my life. :(

I also bought various snacks, peanuts, cheese, chips... when all was said and done, I took in about 2300 calories for the day. I should wake up at the same weight tomorrow, maybe a little more because of bloating.

That's all for today.

It's unrealistic to expect gains on a diet so little in cals.

:(

FrostFox
08-19-2007, 10:04 AM
All right, I woke up 0.2 pounds heavier than yesterday. So far, so good. I used to wake up the day after my cheat days a good 2 or 3 pounds heavier than the day before on my 4000 calorie splurge fests :)

Time to shop and buy some new low cal protein powder... the search for one that does not taste like vomit continues!

FrostFox
08-20-2007, 01:28 AM
{DAY 6}

Pretty good today. At one point my weight was quite low, but that's probably just my scale being a piece of crap. I bought some Iso-sensation strawberry on recommendation of the salesperson. I figure the fruity flavors won't be so bad with just water.

My next cheat day will be Monday the 28th, because I have a "mandatory eating" event to attend. The next 8 days will be clean food as always.

If I'm not happy with the results of my diet on the 31st of this month, I may give velocity another try. That is, if I can endure the taste of this protein powder. ;)

Okay, onto the diet:

Breakfast:
1 tsp butter
3 large eggs
1 banana
= 355 calories, 18g protein

Lunch:
1 apple
= 195 calories, 30g protein

Dinner:
125g cottage cheese
1 can of Ensure
= 325 calories, 27g protein

Snack:
1 tsp peanut butter
1 cup of skim milk

Extra Meal: (for absolutely no reason, but this only puts me 60 cals over)
2 eggs
1 tsp butter
= 175 calories, 12g protein

Pre-Sleep Shake:

TOTAL: 1510 calories, 160g protein

FrostFox
08-20-2007, 02:48 AM
The Taste Test

Even though I had a few scoops left of the old stuff, I went ahead and tried the new protein powder. The taste is actually decent. I am surprised, it actually tasted like strawberry! I could tell right away that it would taste so much better with milk :) but with water it's just fine. Just a couple more days of the old garbage then it's all good.

Dealing with Low Cals

I haven't been experiencing much in the way of hunger pains. When I do, I just drink water, and most of the time they just go away.

Workout Changes

I'll be doing my final "B" workout on Rippetoe's tomorrow. I'm going to change my program to the following two day weekend split, which I will start on the 25th:

Saturday: Legs and Core
Squats 3x5 -> 170 lbs + increase by 5 lbs per week until I stall, then maintain
Crunches 2x8 -> 25/45 lbs
Deadlift 1x5 -> 215 lbs

Sunday: Arms and Shoulders
Bench 3x5 - > 135 lbs :(
Military Press 3x5 -> 100 lbs
Pendlay Rows 3x5 -> 100 lbs
Curls 2x8 -> 70 lbs

This will be a maintenance program aimed at keeping my strength, which I will stay on until I am done my cut. Atrophy of strength takes at least 3 weeks to begin, so I'm guessing a full-body workout once a week should be just fine. Plus, it will fit in a lot easier into my schedule. As always, no cardio since I am on very low cals.

I know specific goals are important, so I'm going to throw a number out there: I want to get down to a 32" waist before I start bulking. I should hit that at around 160 to 165 pounds.

1 day until the weigh in!

That's all for tonight. ;)

FrostFox
08-21-2007, 12:25 AM
{DAY 7}

Workout

Squats: 3x5x170
Pretty good, the last rep was quite hard. I will increase this to 175 the next time out.

Military Press: 3x5x100
I almost failed the last rep. I'm definitely losing strength at this point :(

Pendlay Rows: 3x5x100
These were quite easy now that I'm getting the technique down. My problem was that I was standing too far away from the bar.

Decline Weighted Crunches: 1x8x25, 1x2x45
I changed the way I do these things again. I wasn't doing them properly. Now that I am doing them correctly, I failed in my second set. I'll be bumping the weight down to 35 on my second set next time out.

Food to come later. This is the last day where I detail my full food log (I think I will continue to do so on cheat days though), unless some users request otherwise. Weigh in is tomorrow morning!

FrostFox
08-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Diet

Breakfast:
3 large eggs
2 yogurt
= 310 calories, 26g protein

Lunch:
1 pack of ham
= 150 calories, 24g protein

Post-workout shake:
1 serving of Muscle Milk with 2 cups of skim milk
= 640 calories, 32g protein

Snack:
1 tbsp of peanut butter
1 cup of skim milk
= 200 calories, 12g protein

Pre-sleep shake:

TOTAL: 1560 calories, 154g protein

FrostFox
08-21-2007, 12:20 PM
{DAY 8}

Weigh in: 186.8 lbs
net change: -3.6 lbs

Not as impressive as velocity results, but I'll take it. :) We'll know just how much of that is water weight when I compare it to next week's results.

I'm happy with the diet so far. It's easy to maintain, and I still get to eat what I want on occassion.

FrostFox
08-22-2007, 10:01 AM
TOTALS = 1480 calories, 159g protein

FrostFox
08-22-2007, 10:30 PM
{DAY 9}

1475 calories, 139g protein

A little short on protein today :(

fkn_give_me_abs
08-22-2007, 10:33 PM
hey mate are you gonna be updating weight weekly?

no doubt you'll be losing fat - those cals are similar to v-diet!! Keep it up!!

FrostFox
08-23-2007, 03:21 AM
hey mate are you gonna be updating weight weekly?

no doubt you'll be losing fat - those cals are similar to v-diet!! Keep it up!!

Yeah, I have my day 1 weight and my day 8 weight in my logs. Next update is day 15, which is next Tuesday in my logs.

Not as much protein as in the v-diet, so funnily enough I am feeling hungrier than I did on the V-diet. Fat sucks, too many cals = less food :(

FrostFox
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
{DAY 10}

Unfortunately, I cheated today. It was a clean cheat, though. The hunger pangs were quite horrendous so I ate a couple of eggs. They're still with me, but I'll bear the pain until I get up tomorrow and eat again.

I think the problem is the Muscle Milk shakes I am having. Just one shake is 640 calories... 32g of protein, 12g carbs, and some healthy fats. Ever since I started having those daily, I've been getting more hunger cravings. 640 liquid cals are nowhere near as filling as say, 100g of salmon, which is only 150 calories. From now on I'll only be having those Muscle Milk shakes on workout days, where I have the extra space due to workouts.

TOTAL = 1650 calories, 160g protein

jamshid666
08-23-2007, 11:48 PM
I've started holding my breath when I drink my shakes... not that the shakes taste bad, but the same thing over and over gets you sick of it in a hurry. Blame it on our DNA programming, which makes us get sick from eating the same thing over and over in order to ensure we eat a wide variety of foods to get all the nutrients our body needs.

That's why I always buy two or three different flavors of whey protein and mix them around. I've been using the Champion Nutrition ones recently, seem to be ok to me.

By the way, I am going to subscribe to this thread, I have similar goals myself.

Saint Mike
08-24-2007, 12:20 AM
That's why I always buy two or three different flavors of whey protein and mix them around.Hell of an idea. I've been known to mix flavors together to try and make custom flavors.

ON strawberry and french vanilla creme reminds me of strawberry cheesecake...I may have to try it frozen.

FrostFox
08-24-2007, 02:02 PM
{DAY 11}

Despite going over my caloric budget yesterday by a couple of hundred, I still dropped some weight after being stable for a couple of days.

The body is a weird machine, I'll tell you that.

FrostFox
08-25-2007, 12:55 AM
Unfortunately, a social event "required" me to take a cheat meal. I took in about 2000 calories for the day. I immediately bloated 3 pounds after the meal, a meal in which I only drank water.

The rest of the day I ate/drank cleanly. I have another forced cheat coming up on Tuesday, so because of today's cheat, I'll be keeping the rest of Tuesday clean as well.

I ran out of food... forgot to buy some... oh well, it's off to the grocery store early tomorrow morning ;)

FrostFox
08-25-2007, 06:19 AM
{DAY 12}

Overnight I lost 2 of those 3 extra pounds, one of them are still with me though. Hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow.

Weigh in is the morning of DAY 15... my target is weight is 184.8. I still have time to make it.

If I fail to, I'll probably throw in some (argh) cardio. :(

FrostFox
08-26-2007, 12:58 AM
TOTALS = 1665 calories, 176g protein

Day went well, no hunger pangs. Today was a lower body workout day. I did quite well... no personal records, but I think the added rest of doing the workouts once per week is doing wonders (especially since I'm not taking any accelerated recovery supplements):

Squats: 3x5x175
Getting a little easy for some reason. Maybe my hamstrings are finally catching up?

Crunches: 2x8x25
Moving up to 35 pounds next time, doing these sets across from now on.

Deadlifts: 3x5x215
No problems here, again it seemed a little "easy". Maybe my grip has sufficiently improved to try 225 again.

derickonfire
08-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Looks good man - keep it up and you'll definitely hit your goals.

About the 'cheats' - I do that fairly often - however it's always CLEAN food and I still keep calories under maintenance. Just instead of my 500ish goal, it makes it only a 1-200 defict =/

It just seems more logical to 'feed' your body when it's exhausted, and as long as you don't over-do it - you will still lose weight.

FrostFox
08-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Looks good man - keep it up and you'll definitely hit your goals.

About the 'cheats' - I do that fairly often - however it's always CLEAN food and I still keep calories under maintenance. Just instead of my 500ish goal, it makes it only a 1-200 defict =/

It just seems more logical to 'feed' your body when it's exhausted, and as long as you don't over-do it - you will still lose weight.

Thank you for your support.

My cheats are dirty, and they are at about maintenance calories. The reality is - for me, at least - that if I don't indulge in a dirty cheat on a regular basis, I won't be able to keep up with the diet forever.

It always disappoints me to read in journals and logs statements like "well I was at 280, I used diet and exercise and came down to 200 over the period of a year, then I got lazy and went up to 270 again". If you stop dieting, even if you keep exercising, you will pack the pounds right back on, and much faster than you took them off. That's why I want to get on a diet that I can stick with, and to be able to do that I need the occassional cheat.

Real life gets to be a problem too. Family dinners, special occassions, office parties, etc. where if you don't eat what's served, it's considered extremely rude: a diet needs flexibility to be able to deal with these types of situations as well.

This diet seems to be sustainable indefinitely for me. Of this, I am glad.

FrostFox
08-27-2007, 01:59 AM
{DAY 13}

TOTALS = 1575 calories, 153g protein

Workout: I am dropping the military presses from the workout program. It seems to work out a lot of the same muscle groups as the bench press, and after struggling to complete a single set, I had nothing left.

Bench: 3x5x135
I can still do it, but my technique is shoddy. I won't be moving up until I can get the technique down perfectly.

Military Press: 100 lbs, 5/2/1
Dropping this from my program for the reasons stated above.

Pendlay Rows: 3x5x100
Getting easier with my improved technique.

Curls: 2x8x70
Was a little difficult. I'll be staying at this weight next week.

A correction: my forced cheat is coming tomorrow and not Tuesday as previously mentioned. Unfortunately, I might bloat for Tuesday morning's weigh-in; however, I am not worried since that simply means a bigger jump for next week's weigh-in.

FrostFox
08-28-2007, 03:52 AM
{DAY 14}

Alright, the forced cheat wasn't as bad as anticipated. It only totalled to about 800 calories or so, so I went ahead with a protein shake afterwards. Overall calories for the day is about 2000.

Tomorrow morning is the weigh in. Cross your fingers!

jklv
08-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Good luck!!
Keep up the good work!
;)

FrostFox
08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
{DAY 15}

Thanks jklv ;)

Weigh in: 184.8 lbs
net change: -2 lbs
total: -5.6 lbs

Hurray! I hit my goal exactly. I'm very happy with the results so far. I weighed in at about the same yesterday, so looks like yesterday was at maintenance.

This crazy diet may be working after all.

stark6935
08-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't drop military press. That is an awesome excersise and I think it should be a base for every shoulder workout. I think that would be like dropping bench presses. The only thing is I would do higher reps on it because it tends to strain the rotator cuff.

FrostFox
08-28-2007, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't drop military press. That is an awesome excersise and I think it should be a base for every shoulder workout. I think that would be like dropping bench presses. The only thing is I would do higher reps on it because it tends to strain the rotator cuff.

The problem is that I used to bang out 3x5x100 on it quite easily, but if I do it after my bench, I can hardly finish 1 set.

I guess I'll just keep it to one set of five then. Thank you for your input.

FrostFox
08-28-2007, 10:22 PM
TOTALS = 1600 calories, 119 protein

I ate too much fruit today. :(

derickonfire
08-28-2007, 10:48 PM
TOTALS = 1600 calories, 119 protein

I ate too much fruit today. :(

Fruit is good.. but try get some veggies in there..

Frozen Edamame is awesome, good protein - and most of the carbs are from fiber..

FrostFox
08-29-2007, 07:06 PM
{DAY 16}

I am going to begin by expressing just how much I hate vegetables... part of being a fat bastard, I guess ;) I need to find some vegetables that I can nibble on that I could stand.

Today I went downtown so I elected to have a cheat meal. (that's 3 total within a week, for those keeping count, which is my target) Had half of a 14" pepperoni pizza with extra cheese. 4 slices is about 1400 calories, and about 70g protein. Amazing because one meal and I'm done for the day, oh well. I didn't bloat up after eating it, I'm still about 185 right now. I may have a protein shake afterwards.

Portions my friends, portions! You want to have cheat meals in your diet? Count those calories and control your damn portions, and you'll be fine. Don't go over your maintenance calories on your cheat days and you will retain your weight loss and trick your body that it isn't starving at the same time.

I really miss working out 3 days a week instead of two. Since I'm on a strength maintenance program, working out more frequently wouldn't be productive, so there is little reason to start working out more often again. Hopefully my weight loss continues at this rapid pace so that I can start bulking by December, though if I go all the way down to 8% bodyfat, I probably won't start until January.

It will feel good to buy 30" pants again instead of 38" pants. I can't tell you how ashamed I was walking into a store and not being able to buy any of the new styles because the largest they had was 36" and it was way too tight on me. :(

Keep working hard, everyone!

derickonfire
08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
I feel ya.. in HS I used to have to buy 40+ to feel comfortable..

Now 36's are almost too loose, but 34's are still tight in the thighs. I can't wait for 34's.. and even maybe 32's by my end goal.

I'm just hesistant to go out and buy clothes - because I have expensive taste.. especially for jeans, usually.

The thing about veggies is that they all have different tastes...

Stuff like spinach you can easily mix in 1/2 a cup into whatever else your cooking for dinner and hardly notice it - but get all that fiber and protein from it.

Look into those Edamame, I keep them frozen then load a bag with me before I go to work.. they're great to munch on while frozen - and they taste kind of like peanuts.

There's also peas and stuff, which is all pretty good frozen.. they're actually fairly 'sweet'..

FrostFox
08-30-2007, 10:05 PM
{DAY 17}

Before we begin, a little lesson about weight that I have experienced first-hand today.

When I went to sleep, I was 185 pounds on the dot.
I slept in, about 9 hours, and woke up at 182.8 pounds.
Then I took a dump, and weighed myself again: 182.2 pounds.
I felt very dehydrated, so I took a shower. Afterwards: 183 pounds.

3 different weights within the span of about 15 minutes, with the variance of about a pound. My point is that weight should only be used as a general barometer for weight loss; instead, focus on your measurements (gutt and butt being the most important) and your bodyfat %.

FrostFox
08-31-2007, 05:06 AM
TOTALS = 1460 calories, 95g protein

Short on protein again :( Ran out of (calorie) space for my protein shake. Normally I top the day off with it and I end up at about 160g protein or so.

Mackoek
08-31-2007, 05:32 AM
{DAY 17}

Before we begin, a little lesson about weight that I have experienced first-hand today.

When I went to sleep, I was 185 pounds on the dot.
I slept in, about 9 hours, and woke up at 182.8 pounds.
Then I took a dump, and weighed myself again: 182.2 pounds.
I felt very dehydrated, so I took a shower. Afterwards: 183 pounds.

3 different weights within the span of about 15 minutes, with the variance of about a pound. My point is that weight should only be used as a general barometer for weight loss; instead, focus on your measurements (gutt and butt being the most important) and your bodyfat %.

well....the way you do it its really unreliable, weighing every 5 mins :P but when you weigh over a longer time period, it still is a good way to track your progress

FrostFox
08-31-2007, 05:49 AM
well....the way you do it its really unreliable, weighing every 5 mins :P but when you weigh over a longer time period, it still is a good way to track your progress

The point was to show that bodyweight can vary a lot within a short span of time if you eat, shower, etc. If I ate immediately after and weighed in, that would have been over a 2 pound variance within 20 minutes. :P

Reliable weighing = doing it under the same conditions every time.

FrostFox
08-31-2007, 10:08 PM
{DAY 18}

Really bad day for nutrition... my cupboards started running low, so I went ahead and went to a fast food resto. 1300 unsatisfying calories later, I regret my decision. The good part is that I kept calories low for the day. I'm going to have to buy some meal replacements to avoid these situations in the future.

TOTALS = 1665 calories, 55g protein

FrostFox
09-01-2007, 06:11 PM
{DAY 19}

Even worse than yesterday... over 2000 calories and about 100g protein. I was out and about with friends all day today. I didn't plan ahead and paid dearly for it. I just hope to break even in weight tomorrow. I also didn't have time to hit the gym to do today's workout, I might just do the whole body tomorrow.

I'm not quitting this diet - frankly, when I'm organized it's no problem to stick to, and the hunger pangs are going away - just a bit of a rough patch right now, and so long as my weight stays constant or continues to go down, no biggie.

FrostFox
09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Wow... looking back, I haven't hit my nutrition goals since day 14! Tomorrow I'm going shopping and I'm going to get my ass back on track. Today was my first full-blown cheat to make it all worse.

My goal for weight this week is 182.8 pounds. If I work hard Sunday and Monday, I may still be able to make it.

derickonfire
09-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Dude.. wtf.

Stop screwing around.

Cheat food that tastes delicious - but 5 minutes later makes you feel worthless and makes you want to vomit - and makes you LOOK like ****
or
hardcore body and endless sexy with hot babes / wife / whatever, and longevity in health and life?

FrostFox
09-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Dude.. wtf.

Stop screwing around.

Cheat food that tastes delicious - but 5 minutes later makes you feel worthless and makes you want to vomit - and makes you LOOK like ****
or
hardcore body and endless sexy with hot babes / wife / whatever, and longevity in health and life?

You're 100% right dude, I have to get my **** together. Tomorrow morning I will weigh in and post here to show how much damage I did.

FrostFox
09-02-2007, 01:10 PM
{DAY 20}

Weighed in at 182.4 this morning, versus 182 flat yesterday. Hopefully it's just bloat. Going to eat now, then it's off to the gym to punish myself.

derickonfire
09-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Not punish.

It feels good man.. the pump, and the few hours AFTER your done, when you drink your PWO shake and eat your PWO meal and feel a slight tingle in your body.

It feels good when after a months progress you clearly feel more definition in your arms, and your abs.

.4lbs is nothing - I found out today that my scale fluctuates 10 +/- lbs depending on how I stand on it..
I need a digital.. and even with one of those, you've already proven how much the weight fluctuates in such a short amount of time.

Make the workout brutal though =P
You owe it to yourself.

CR Racer
09-02-2007, 09:39 PM
keep at it buddy. i might start one of these not feeling very motivated as of late.

FrostFox
09-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Finally bounced back:

TOTALS = 1595 calories, 146g protein

Which is right on target for a workout day. Getting enough protein has been getting difficult ever since I started adding fruit to my meals... Basically, I can take 2 servings of carbs per day maximum, otherwise I risk running over my daily cals if I want to hit 140g+ of protein. It's hard to hit protein goals on this kind of caloric restriction.

Workout:

Squats: 180 lbs 5/4/4
Lacked the energy to hit the last rep on the last two sets. I don't think it's a matter of strength. I'll try again next week.

Crunches: 2x8x35
Moving up to 45 lbs next time.

Deadlifts: 225 lbs 5 PR!
Finally, a personal record. My grip got stronger, which is good. It will be hard advancing though, because my grip is what is holding me back. I may start cross-griping if I fail to move up next week.

Overall a good day. I'll be doing my arm workout tomorrow, thank goodness for labour day.

I ended the day at 183.8 lbs. This is good news, because this means my cheat day didn't do that much damage (even though I cheated, I still didn't go all out, I was saying no to a lot of tasty things once nightfall came).

keep at it buddy. i might start one of these not feeling very motivated as of late.

I highly recommend starting a journal... it has so many benefits, most importantly: clarity. When you start your journal, you detail your workout, diet, and fitness goals/methodology. Then you make a daily post to let us know how you're doing. If you start screwing up, you will notice it, and so will the rest of the forum. I say go for it as soon as you have a diet and routine worked out.

FrostFox
09-03-2007, 02:49 PM
{DAY 21}

Just a friendly reminder to myself - tomorrow is my weigh-in. I'm sure I'll meet and exceed my goal, despite cheating for a day.

Arm workout tonight.

derickonfire
09-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm glad you are getting back on track..

I'm going to change my workout starting tomorrow... (hopefully)...

Need to do some research first though on 5x5.

FrostFox
09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
TOTALS = 1725 calories, 135 protein

Close enough to my targets (no cheats). I switched to large eggs from regular eggs and my new whole wheat bread has another 25 cals per slice, so I am still adjusting... with my old eggs and bread the cals would have been at 1645 or so. I'm a little full at the end of the day so I may have eaten too much.

Workout:

Bench: 135 lbs 5/5/3
My technique has improved. However, I am forced to conclude that I am indeed losing strength, but at a low rate. I am fine with this, given how fast I am losing weight.

Press: 100 lbs 5
A little easier than last week.

Rows: 105 lbs 5/5/5 PR!
Now that I have the technique down, I have some room for progress.

Curls: 70 lbs 8/7
Lost a rep since last week :( Will try it at this weight again. 3 failures means I bump down 5 pounds (this goes for any exercise).

Just weighed myself... going to sleep at 184.4 lbs, plus there is half a pound of waste or so in there. I don't think I'll wake up at 182, though...

FrostFox
09-04-2007, 06:27 AM
{DAY 22}

I made the mistake of showering before weighing in... so my weight isn't going to be as low as it should be, because I'm completely hydrated.

Weigh in: 182.8 lbs
net change: -2 lbs
total: -7.6 lbs

As you have seen in a previous entry, at one point in the week I weighed below 182... so the extra weight is probably hydration and/or waste.

I am really looking forward to being below 180 for the first time in ages!

I'll be taking measurements next week at the 4-week anniversary of this diet.

FrostFox
09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
TOTALS = 1735 calories, 153g protein

Had to finish off some lean ground beef that was about to go bad. 600 cals, about 240 from fat.

I'll be cutting my breakfast down from 3 eggs to 2, given the size of them. That should cut 90 calories from my daily budget.

My body is probably thanking me for these extra cals, I just hope it doesn't get too comfortable.

More and more I have been thinking about giving velocity another try. I must have a deathwish or something... I'll give it some serious thought this week, and will make a decision by the end of my 28-day cycle of my current diet (whose numbers will need adjusting anyway).

Or I may try to replicate what John Stone of John Stone fitness did: HIIT and weights 6 days a week.

I'll keep you posted!

FrostFox
09-05-2007, 05:42 PM
{DAY 23}

TOTALS = 1580 calories, 119g protein

Short on protein... thanks to the beef I was finishing off, which really increased my cals. It's all gone now ;)

I was thinking earlier - to get 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight at 1500 cals, I'd have to be drinking 4 scoops of pure protein whey per day. That's about 1/2 of a velocity diet.

I was making my goal of 140g of protein quite often earlier on because of my iso sensation shake. I haven't had more than a couple of scoops for a week or so, mostly because I've been taking muscle milk instead. Unfortunately, I get 50g protein per 2 scoops of muscle milk at the cost of 640 cals, versus 60g of protein at the cost of 260 cals from 2 scoops of iso sensation. Muscle milk tastes like a shake, the other stuff tastes barely tolerable in water.

I may have to look at this Matrix 5.0 stuff that everybody seems to buy for the Velocity Diet. Maybe the taste of that stuff is even better than what I have now.

FrostFox
09-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Going to sleep at 181.4 pounds... checked it a few times just to make sure. Weight loss is going well, hopefully the muscle loss won't be too serious.

FrostFox
09-06-2007, 11:22 AM
I'll be away for the next few days. Yes, I will stick to my diet. :) My workouts will have to be moved up, though.

I'll report my totals for all of the days I was away when I return.

FrostFox
09-07-2007, 02:28 PM
{DAY 24}

Looks like I found some internet access, so I'll update this log as much as I can throughout the weekend.

TOTALS = 2100 calories, 130g protein

Had my cheat meal today... pepperoni sub + ice cream. The sub tasted like crap... I hate those wasted cheats ;)

I am also strongly reconsidering my weekend split workout to go back to 3 times a week Rippetoe's. Seeing my strength go down is making me believe perhaps more frequent weight lifting will preserve more strength. I have lost strength and I'd like to slow down the loss.

FrostFox
09-07-2007, 04:52 PM
{DAY 25}

TOTALS = 1560 calories, 132g protein

Did some mild cardio today.

stevenadrien
09-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Dude, you are my hero.
I'm at around that same weight now. It's funny because I started trying to eat better and stuffs at around 170 to maximize fat loss and like it amde me go up.
I think it's because I just messed up on my calorie counts.

I still can't count my calories, anyways my weightlifting teacher is making me write a log of everything i eat, w/o counting cals, so hopefully by this diet he's going to make me, it'll help bring down my weight.

For some reason, I'm considering eating the things you are eating, because all those things you are using, I have at my house.

FrostFox
09-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Dude, you are my hero.

Thanks, but I do not believe I am worthy of such an honor yet. Let me get down to 8% first ;)

I'm at around that same weight now. It's funny because I started trying to eat better and stuffs at around 170 to maximize fat loss and like it amde me go up.I think it's because I just messed up on my calorie counts.

Could be, or maybe you just grew... you are 14, after all.

I still can't count my calories,

If you are serious about losing weight, then you must count calories. Diets that ignore this are either based on eating things mainly low in calories or are fad diets.

anyways my weightlifting teacher is making me write a log of everything i eat, w/o counting cals,

I would, at the very least, track cals and protein. I haven't consistently hit over 140g protein and have directly lost strength as a result. By reading my logs of past days, I can easily come to this conclusion. Without tracking your macros, you're basically wandering around in the dark.

For some reason, I'm considering eating the things you are eating, because all those things you are using, I have at my house.

I drink muscle milk (meal replacement shake), iso sensation 94 whey (low carb protein supplement), and the regular "clean" food... nothing special, really.

FrostFox
09-08-2007, 11:20 PM
{DAY 26}

2 days left in this diet cycle. I hope I can make 180.8 by Tuesday, but it's looking unlikely. I'm really considering going to higher cals + cardio/hiit. I'm losing muscle and strength and am not too happy about it. Or I may do velocity and culk (workout at maintenance) right after. I need to make my decision soon.

No workout today, since I plan to change my workout plan next week. The 2 day weekend split just isn't working out.

TOTALS = 2200 calories, 140g protein

Had another cheat meal today. Still should lose weight, though, since I'm under maintenance.

derickonfire
09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Curious - why are your protein intakes so low?

It shouldn't be too hard to get 160g+ a day.

FrostFox
09-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Curious - why are your protein intakes so low?

It shouldn't be too hard to get 160g+ a day.

It's very hard on 1450 calories... I guess if I take 2 low carb protein shakes a day, I could make it, but then we're talking half a velocity diet :)

derickonfire
09-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Get some whey or even caesin depending on your budget.

Have 1 scoop mixed with some water with a meal twice a day.

Eat fish. Usually 20ish protein for 100 calories.
- Walmart has the 100 calorie 4oz fillets for 1$ each -you can even microwave them and eat them in 2 seconds .

Kraft Fat-Free Cheese - 45 calories for 1/4 cup - each serving has 9 protein. This stuff rocks as an additive to other foods - rice, pasta, whatever.

Egg Whites

Cottage Cheese - Wal-Mart has a brand Nordica that tastes really good, has 1g fat, low carbs, and 13g protein for about 80 calories.

Just some ideas bro - you're worried about strength loss and I want to help. More protein is good, so just sacrifice some carbs and fats for more proteins.

FrostFox
09-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Great suggestions as always Derick!

Speaking of half a velocity diet, it appears that there already exists a Velocity Diet lite:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1668188&cr=

In a nuthshell, it's exactly how I described it earlier: 2 shakes per day. I may give this a spin on my next diet cycle, seeing as I will definitely hit my protein requirements this way!

derickonfire
09-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I know it's easy for me to achieve 200+g of a protein in a day, but I am consuming 500 or so calories more than you per day..

I'm sure you can figure something out man,

Good luck.

FrostFox
09-09-2007, 01:09 PM
{SUMMARY OF RESULTS}

All right, I've decided to end this diet cycle two days early. Why, you ask? Well first of all, I plan to resume it tomorrow on a new and improved program. Second, it was really weird using Tuesday as a start date. :) So tomorrow, I will start a new diet and workout plan, which will be detailed in the next post.

I lost 9 pounds on this diet over a period of 26 days, which comes out to a third of a pound per day. I lost roughly an inch and a half off my waist. My bench press and curls have gone down by over 5 pounds each, while the rest of my lifts have stayed more or less the same.

My performance started out very good, especially when I was detailing what I was eating every day. My focus slipped in the third week but and came back more or less in the last one. Overall, I am satisfied with what I accomplished this month.

FrostFox
09-10-2007, 10:30 AM
-= Preamble =-

Today, I begin a new program and will stick with it for a 28 day cycle. Why such a short cycle, you ask? Because of my caloric deficit of ~1000, I can't sustain such low cals indefinitely, even if I cycle up a day or two during the week. In a month or so, I'll probably go on another program at near full maintenance calories and introduce some cardio.

-= Goals =-

I want to maintain a rate of weight loss of 2 pounds per week. I know most of it will be fat, but some muscle mass loss is to be expected with such a caloric deficit. At the end of four weeks, I want to be 8 pounds lighter. I'd also like to lose another inch off of my waist and thighs.

-= Diet =-

Using the formula which worked for me last month, my caloric intake will be:

bodyweight * 15 - bodyweight * bodyfat % * 31 = ~1600 calories.

Last month, using this same formula, I got ~1400 calories.

In my previous cycle, I changed the amount of calories I took on workout days and non-workout days. I will suspend this practice for no reason other than consistency.

My specific diet? I plan to do the "Velocity Diet Lite". You can read about it here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1668188&cr=dietAndNutrition

In a nutshell, it's half a velocity diet: 2 low-carb protein shakes per day (on a Velocity Diet, it's 4), and the rest of the day, eat clean.

On Sunday of every week, I will have a cheat day, with a 2400 calorie ceiling. Previously, I had a lot of problems because I would spread cheat meals throughout the week. It screwed up my calorie counts and would be very difficult to discipline. By having all the meals on one pre-selected day, every week, it will be a lot easier to maintain.

This month I will once again not be doing macro ratios, and just be tracking calories and protein. I will, however, drastically increase my daily protein consumption: 180g of protein per day minimum. Since every day I will be taking two low-carb whey isolate shakes, I will already be at 120g of protein, with 1100 calories to spare. I should meet my goal every day now.

I will try to eat a lot more vegetables! I consumed almost none last month. My mother would be ashamed ;)

I won't be having diet logs, other than to track my daily calories and protein, and note of any deviations from the diet.

-= Workout Program =-

I will continue Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. However, I will be dropping curls and crunches from the program... I believe both are impeding my progress in my core lifts (especially the curls), and I simply don't have the macros or supplements to workout on that kind of volume. Here is the link to Rippetoe's Starting Strength:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

The program:
(notation is sets x reps)

M/W/F workout days, alternating between "A" and "B" workouts

Workout A:
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B:
Squat 3x5
Military Press 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x5

That's it. My starting weights are:

Squat 180 lbs
Bench Press 135 lbs
Deadlift 225 lbs
Military Press 100 lbs
Pendlay Rows 105 lbs

I hope to, at the very least, maintain these weights.

-= Starting Stats =-

Waist, over the belly button: 35.5" - goal 34.4"
Thighs, all the way around the fattest part: 41.75" - goal 40.75"
Weight: 183 pounds - goal 175 pounds

-= And So, It Begins... =-

As always, thank you for your support! I am looking forward to another productive month.

One more thing... I will only take my measurements at the end of this cycle, and will weigh myself only once weekly on the Monday.

FrostFox
09-10-2007, 08:10 PM
-= DAY 1 =-

I hit my goals, but with only 3 scoops of the protein shake. Is that a cheat? I wouldn't consider it so. Anyway, here we go:

TOTALS = 1630 calories, 193g protein

Workout:

Squat: 180 lbs 5/5/4
Missed the last rep... I should be able to do it next time!

Bench: 135 lbs 5/4/3
Resetting to 115 lbs next time. I need to get my technique in line.

Deadlift: 235 lbs 5 PR!
I went to the split grip, and I banged out those reps quite easily. I may hit the upper 200s before I start to stall...

gymratluke
09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Subbed, repped, 5 STARed!!

derickonfire
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Why would whey be a cheat?

Just don't rely on it to much - and try to consume the fast digesting proteins at the best times - while saving the slow digesting protein meals for the other best times =P

Ya know what I mean.

Thanks for the flowers.

5 starred also.

Freddie Beef
09-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Nice Journal, subbed!!

FrostFox
09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
-= DAY 2 =-

Thanks for your support!

Well, today hasn't been outstanding nutrition wise. I went a couple of hundred cals over because I attended a special dinner. I could have piled on the ribs and the sweets and turned it into a full-blown cheat, but instead I only had a little bit of seafood and about 4 ribs, with a small bun. No cake, no sweets, no soft drinks, just water. I could have eaten 3000+ cals easily, but I think I got out only eating roughly 800 or less. I was still hungry when I finished eating, and I ate enough so as not to be rude, but I made it out all right.

So, a lesson to myself: you can make it out of important dinners, family events, etc. by eating an absolute minimum and otherwise following your diet.

Despite not being perfect with my diet today, I still kept the calories under control and met my protein goal.

TOTALS = ~2100 calories, ~185g protein

therealmark
09-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow, you're doing good man! That's some huge weight loss you made. How's your skin? I'd be worried about tightness doing that amount of loss per month at a continued rate. I've got almost a decade on ya though so it's more of a concern for me.

Keep it up!

M.

FrostFox
09-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey underwear model,

bleh, I've been working out for two months, and have only lost weight in one month (about 8 pounds net of water weight). Skin tightness doesn't seem to be an issue for me... stretch marks don't bother me, and there's always laser surgery if I become a Hollywood movie star or something and need to get rid of them ;)

I've seen some pics of morbidly obese people who got thin covered with stretch marks look completely normal after various laser and other dermatological treatments. I personally think stretch marks are an excuse some people use not to lose weight. If you'd like to know more, I'd look it up on Wikipedia.

Back to work. :)

therealmark
09-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah I'm not too concerned... I've got no crazy stretch marks or anything and I'm not terribly vain about that sorta thing, but just don't want to have hanging skin. I turn 38 this weekend and my skin's elasticity is diminishing every year. I have noticed it seems slower to tighten now, all the more reason to take this weight off now and keep it off for good while I'm still (relatively) young.

M.

derickonfire
09-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Hey man - any of my food suggestions workout out?

Your protein has been awesome.. I'm sure a lot of it is from shakes like ya said - but just make sure ya time them right.

Casein protein? I'm going to look into some to have with breakfast/lunch before I go to school/work where meals are occasionally far in between.

Cottage cheese too - don't forget that. Whole food and 13g protein for only 80 calories usually! I find plenty of uses for this stuff without actually eating it alone. Spaghetti sauces (it melts well and ya hardly notice it) shakes, etc.. hell, I even melted a 1/4 cup in my oatmeal the other day..

gymratluke
09-12-2007, 04:33 PM

Your protein has been awesome.. I'm sure a lot of it is from shakes like ya said - but just make sure ya time them right.

Casein protein? I'm going to look into some to have with breakfast/lunch before I go to school/work where meals are occasionally far in between.

Cottage cheese too - don't forget that. Whole food and 13g protein for only 80 calories usually! I find plenty of uses for this stuff without actually eating it alone. Spaghetti sauces (it melts well and ya hardly notice it) shakes, etc.. hell, I even melted a 1/4 cup in my oatmeal the other day..

And if ya have any extra cals to spare, add a little Olive Oil to that casein shake...

FrostFox
09-12-2007, 10:38 PM

Yeah, but it's hard to incorperate regular food in my diet now. I normally have 2 shakes of 2 scoops of low-carb whey protein plus a muscle milk shake with milk. Right there, that's 170g protein and 1100 cals. I usually always have eggs and toast for breakfast. Then it's maybe a scoop of peanut butter and a glass of milk and that's all there is space for in a day.

I think I may look into getting some low-carb shake brand with Casein, because the whey gets digested damn quick.

Cottage cheese too - don't forget that.

I love the stuff. Try it with white onion powder... I lick the bowl clean afterwards.

add a little Olive Oil to that casein shake

Olive oil? I have no idea what that's for. Healthy fats I guess? I get my omegas through supplements usually and already eat a lot of fish.

FrostFox
09-12-2007, 11:05 PM
-= DAY 3 =-

A good day for nutrition. A good day in the gym.

TOTALS = 1630 calories, 180g protein

Workout:

Squat: 180 lbs 5/5/5 PR!
Finally broke through. My legs had a little DOMS this morning so I wasn't really sure I would be able to make it. At the end of the first set I knew I would.

Military Press: 100 lbs 5/5/5
Moving up to 105 next time.

Pendlay Rows: 110 lbs 5/5/5 PR!
Moving up to 115.

Two personal records in a day... looks like the increased protein is finally paying off.

A funny squat story: I go to a small gym where most people use the machines and the squat rack is free all the time, even during the busy hours. I rack up the back and start banging out reps. I do my squats all the way to the ground, then force my way up... a few people doing squats in the power racks see me do my reps, and almost immediately transition from doing 1/2 squats where they don't even hit parallel to full squats almost as deep as mine! ;) Nice to see that I could be a good influence on people.

FrostFox
09-13-2007, 09:30 PM
-= DAY 4 =-

Low on protein today because I had some beef stew. Will bounce back tomorrow. Kept my cals under control, however.

TOTALS = 1640 calories, 128g protein

derickonfire
09-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Nice squat story =P

As ya may know, I am new to squats - I was going low enough - but I found out my stance was too narrow.

Some cool chap came up to me demonstrated and talked to me about a proper squat - he was a cool guy.

Squats are so much easier and effective with wider (shoulder-ish) stance =P

FrostFox
09-14-2007, 11:20 PM
-= DAY 5 =-

I did some heavy labour today: helping someone move. I was too tired and sore to workout afterwards. I was given pizza as thanks for my work... had a couple of slices and a single drink, that's it.

Thankfully, the parade of special events this week has finally come to an end after today. Overall, I am not happy with my performance thusfar, but it should significantly improve next week now that these distractions are out of the way. The fact that I'm not going out of control after having bad food (a serious problem I had in the past) augurs well for my progress.

I won't really freak out if I don't lose weight over this week. I may even gain a little... but as long as the lifts go up, I am at least doing okay.

TOTALS = ~2165 calories, ~107g protein

FrostFox
09-16-2007, 01:09 AM
-= DAY 6 =-

TOTALS = 1615 calories, 183g protein

Workout:

Squat: 185 lbs 5/5/5 PR!

Bench: 115 lbs 5/5/5
Really working on my technique, which still sucks. I still find 115 very heavy. Damn weak arms :(

Deadlift: 245 lbs 5 PR!
For some reason this lift really hit my arms, heh.

All is well for today.

derickonfire
09-16-2007, 08:52 AM
My technique all around still isn't great.. just keep doing it - and make a valid attempt to do it right.

My bench - I go all the way down to my bhest and have the right elbow locking actions and everything, but I still wobble quite a bit.

How's your weight / mirror shots looking?

FrostFox
09-17-2007, 12:37 AM
My bench - I go all the way down to my chest and have the right elbow locking actions and everything, but I still wobble quite a bit.

Same. A couple of months ago I was able to bang out 3x5x135 with quite a bit of effort... I lost quite a bit of strength in my arms on that month where I dropped to 1400 cals a day.

How's your weight / mirror shots looking?

I only plan to weigh myself once a week on Monday morning... that being tomorrow. So we will have weight reports on days 1,8,15,22, and 29 (the morning after this cycle has completed).

As for how I look in the mirror, I honestly can never tell the difference. I once lost 20 pounds and didn't even notice it until I just ran into a scale that I just happened to weigh myself on... then I tried my home scale to make sure it was right. But when I looked in the mirror I could not tell the difference. In my eyes I have always looked the same...

FrostFox
09-17-2007, 12:42 AM
-= DAY 7=-

Even though I had quite a few deviations from my diet during the week, I nonetheless made today my scheduled cheat day.

I ate way too much. Even as I type, I am bloated. The cravings are stronger than when I was at 1400 cals... maybe the workouts are taking their toll? I probably took in 4000+ cals for the day. It will be an interesting weigh in tomorrow to say the least.

I had an ice cream cone today... I have pretty much completely lost my taste for it. Which is good, because I used to eat quite a bit of the stuff. Just the gourmet hard ice cream for me from now on, and that stuff isn't exactly easy to find.

Busy week coming up, but I am determined to stick a lot closer to my goals than last week. :)

derickonfire
09-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Cheats, ugh =(

Maybe try creating some healthy alternatives to things you'd normall cheat on?

There are some good ice cream recipes around using whey / cream cheese / egg whites / cottage cheese / etc / etc...

Last night I made some awesome cheesecake / pudding type of stuff using gelatin, and I got two huge bowls for less than 300 calories each but still 40+ protein each.

I think the overall long term goal for this kind of transformation for anyone is to find a happy median between eating right - and eating tasty stuff that makes ya happy.

FrostFox
09-17-2007, 08:53 AM
-= WEEK 1 REVIEW =-

In this journal, I'll be reviewing my weekly progress and statistics so I can more accurately see what went on.

Average Calories:
target: 1500~1700 | actual: 1797
Average Protein
target: >180g | actual: 163g

Despite a couple of bad days, I was only moderately off my targets.

Weigh in
starting: 183 lbs | today: 181.8 lbs | difference: -1.2 lbs

Note that I am now taking my weights the day after a cheat day, so there is bloat in those numbers. I absolutely pigged out yesterday, so I am quite surprised that there is weight loss at all!

In sum I felt a lot better this week compared to when I was on 1400 cals. I don't feel lethargic during my workouts, I'm adding weight in all my exercises (except the bench, ARGH!) and I"m still losing weight.

derickonfire
09-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Grats man =)

Stupid thing still won't let me give you more reps, haha...

FrostFox
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, you need to spread the love around. I try to give you reps as much as I can :)

-= DAY 8=-

Well, I did a bonehead thing today: my roomates have been eating all of my health food. (too lazy to buy their own **** I suppose) This morning, I open the fridge to get something to take with me, but there was nothing... so I ate out for lunch with a friend right after my workout. You can figure out the rest.

TOTALS = 2385 calories, 110g protein

Workout:

Squat: 190 lbs 5/5/1
1 rep on the last one because my workout partner kept helping me and telling me "not to strain myself" on my reps. I'll try again Wednesday.

Military Press: 105 lbs 5/5/5 PR!
I have some room to advance here. Hopefully, it will help me advance on the bench as well.

Pendlay Rows: 115 lbs 5/5/2
Need to work on these.

I'll have to pick up some stuff on the way out tomorrow...

I'll bounce back tomorrow.

derickonfire
09-17-2007, 09:28 PM
What?!

Lazy roommates eating...... healthy..... food?

Propostorous!

Mine wouldn't dare touch my cottage cheese or Go Lean cereal =P

FrostFox
09-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I caught them drinking my ready-to-drink health shakes... and those things taste like crap. And they're not cheap, either. It's a problem, but it's my fault for not anticipating this.

I swear, everyone is trying to make me fall off the wagon. I think a big part of getting in shape is dealing with peer pressure. Your friends and family want you to stay fat, because if you get in shape, that leaves no excuses for them. That's the problem I'm in now. I've heard a lot of "why are you dieting?" comments from people when I was over 190 and ~25% bf... come on, stop fooling yourselves people!

Being in shape was never about any physical challenge. You show up to the gym, you do your reps, you work as hard as you can. It's all mental. That's the part of myself I need to shore up.

derickonfire
09-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Doesn't it feel great man?

Since Mid-may.. I feel amazing just.. walking around.

I CANNOT WAIT until my cut is over and I start bulking.. wow.

6-pack next summer.

Let em try to bring ya down, but just throw it off with a smirk.. and then chew them out for eating your expensive ****. My friends still laugh at me when I tell them I'm going for a 6pack, I mean.. 250lb fat in HS? They don't believe it.

FrostFox
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
You will have a 6 pack by February at the rate you are going, especially since you're still very young. Just keep at it.

Saint Mike
09-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Keep up the great work bro. Repped.

derickonfire
09-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Where ya been dude?

FrostFox
09-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Where ya been dude?

I stopped my diet/exercise routine on day 9. I've been on extremely low cals for almost 2 months (over 1000 cal deficit), and well... my body rebelled. I started getting extreme hunger pangs that I just couldn't stand anymore, even the day after refeeds. I knew I couldn't keep up low cals forever, but I was sure that I could last at least 2 consecutive months. Looks like I was wrong.

So I started eating at maintenance... 2400 to 2600 cals per day, about half of it clean, the other half junk. I'm at 179 pounds now, versus about 182 pounds 8 days ago... which boggles the hell out of me. How could I lose almost 3 pounds after eating a week at maintenance? Muscle atrophy takes at least 2 weeks. Some of that is water, but there's no way all 3 pounds of it is.

I'm guessing what happened is that all the weightlifting kicked my metabolism (which was in the toilet before I started) back to normal, and my body started demanding more than what I was putting in.

I'm going to take it easy for the new few days, and hopefully the pangs will subside. I hope to start something up next Monday.

I may just be a velocity diet away from being at a level where I could start bulking, but I would probably have to buy stock in Hoodia in order to survive it :) Or I could go to 2000 cals, and take about 5 or 6 months to get shredded. I just want these pangs to stop.

I've been otherwise following the forum, but I wanted to stay quiet during my time of shame ;) Seeing JHF and others do a second velocity diet has me damn jealous.

derickonfire
09-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Don't be ashamed - I always wondered about your low calories but figured you know best.

Eating at maintenance is cool, as long as you don't put on that fat again I'd be truly dissapointed in you.

What problems where you having exactly? I've now switched my diet, and am eating less than I was previosly and I feel just fine. What I do is starve all morning and then eat a small meal at around 12-1 when the hunger really kicks in. It's great to eat, I then eat a few hours later and stop eating around 8-9ish, this allows bigger gorging it seems and more satisfying meals.

That, and there is the EC stack.. screw hoodia.

FrostFox
09-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Hoodia is an appetite suppressant, not a fat burner. You can take both the EC stack and Hoodia if you wanted to...

Looks like you're doing some kind of intermittent fasting; as long as you get what you need during the day macro and calorie-wise, you should be fine. One thing you should note though is over 70% of obese people skip breakfast (and then ostensibly overeat to compensate for the lost meal).

Problems? Like I said, they are limited to the pangs. My weights are going up in some exercises and down in others. I think I just need to eat more. When I first started this journal, I was at 2300 cals a day. After a month I didn't lose any weight at all, but I lost a bit off my waist. I then got impatient and cut my cals drastically. I might be ahead of where I should be now had I followed the balanced approach, who knows?

derickonfire
09-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Ephedra is also an appetite suppressant - but it doubles as a fat burner.

Hoodia seems iffy to me - I have read to many cases of it not working. However, my personal experience is small.

EC does the trick for me.

And yes, I won't be skipping breakfast forever, and I monitor my calories closely so I don't overeat - yesterday was actually my only day since May that I went OVER my maintenance.. some days in the past I've cheated, but never gone over.

Who cares where ya 'coulda' been.. it's all about where you are. And honestly, you're not in a bad place right now man.

One thing with getting in shape - you need to make sure it's not an obsessive thing where your life revolves around it - because you WILL get impatient. Make sure life is busy elsewhere and the days and weeks and months will fly =P

Ronin01
09-29-2007, 12:22 PM
I just read through the first couple of pages of your journal, and I'm impressed by your attention to detail and motivation to find what works for you. The information you give is also really useful to others who are trying to do a similar thing. For this, I rep you sir!

FrostFox
09-29-2007, 12:59 PM
I just read through the first couple of pages of your journal, and I'm impressed by your attention to detail and motivation to find what works for you. The information you give is also really useful to others who are trying to do a similar thing. For this, I rep you sir!

Thank you very much. Being healthy is a never-ending battle... I hope my quest, though not perfect, helps motivate others to reach their goals.

FrostFox
10-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Ideas dancing around my head. Maybe I will start something back up tomorrow. We'll see. The hunger pangs have subsided, and my weight has been a stable 179.

FrostFox
10-01-2007, 08:42 PM
A New Beginning

I haven't been on this forum very long, only a couple of months or so, but I feel as if I've learned a lot about working out and eating healthy in this period of time. If I had to summarize what I've learned, I would put it like this:

http://www.white-hat-web-design.co.uk/images/snakes-ladders.jpg

Getting in shape is like playing a real life game of snakes and ladders, with one simple - and critical - modication: there are no ladders. If you slip up (hit a snake), you can ruin days or even weeks of progress. Only a slow and steady climb will get you to the top.

A cursory glance of the journals here on the forums will reveal all there is to know about how to get there. You can look at the journals of people like Hotmoltenlava, Jhf, Dominikm and TheKansan, people that have lost a ton of weight. What did they all have in common? They had the discipline to get things done, and never did they make excuses for when they slipped up. They showed strong willpower and a willingness to immediately spot and correct bad behavior. Unfortunately, then there are the journals of people who have gone absolutely nowhere because of half-hearted effort and no discpline.

Take Body-for-Life Brian, the most fitting example I can find: in June of last year, he weighed about 198 pounds. Over 1 year, 22 pages of journal entires and 1000 posts later, what does he weigh? The same 198 pounds! He seems to consistently succumb to any kind of social pressure to eat junk. When he falls off the wagon, he doesn't stop himself and get right back on; instead, he compounds his error. He consistently sleeps in through his workouts. I don't want to be like that, and I'm damned sure Brian doesn't want to be like that either.

Only in the past few months have I started making some real progress in cutting fat and gaining strength. However, there is still a long way to go: I have 20 pounds of fat I want to lose, and a ton of muscle and strength I want to gain. I finally got my ass off the couch and headed down to the mall to buy supplements. After purchasing some, the cashier stuffed in my bag a copy of some fitness magazine. I glanced through it, and in its pages I saw the story of a man who lost 50 pounds of fat and gained 10 pounds of muscle, in just 6 months. What program did he use?

Body-for-Life.

Of course, the article didn't say he used the program by name. However, the description he used, down to intensity and the amount of reps, matched the program completely. Needless to say, I was blown away. I finally received some sort of independent confirmation of the program's success. And with that, I have decided to start a Body-for-Life challenge.

derickonfire
10-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Wtf is with that picture bro? =P

Body-for-life? I know nothing of it, but I expect I'll be learning soon from following your log. You've got the knowledge man, ya just gotta do it.

FrostFox
10-01-2007, 08:54 PM
The Program

You can read about it here:

http://www.bodyforlife.com/exercise/index.asp

In a nutshell:
3 days of some form of HIIT cardio per week (20 minutes)
3 days of weight training, alternating between upper and lower body workouts

My cardio days will be Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and my gym days will be Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. I will follow the program exactly with no modifications, save one: instead of cardio on Friday, I take part in a soccer league. That's all a the HIIT I'll need for one day ;)

Here are the exercises I will be doing:

Upper Body
5 sets of dumb bell presses, supersetted with one set of dumbell flyes
5 sets of military presses, supersetted with one set of shrugs
5 sets of pendlay rows, supersetted with one set of pullups
5 sets of tricep pulldowns, supersetted with one set of dips
5 sets of EZbar curls, supersetted with one set of dumbell hammer curls

Lower Body
5 sets of leg presses, supersetted with one set of squats
5 sets of lying leg curls, supersetted with one set of deadlifts
5 sets of toe presses, supersetted with one set of calf raises
5 sets of V-ups, supersetted with one set of decline crunches

I've never done a very high volume training program before. I hope I can survive it ;)

derickonfire
10-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Wow.. all I can see is that ya better be eating more than 1600 calories.

Good luck, you can do it.

I can't wait to see your post pics on December 23rd.. we can compare =P

FrostFox
10-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Wtf is with that picture bro? =P

That is what the game of Snakes and Ladders looks like. If you go on a square with a snake's head, you fall down to the square where his tail ends. If you land on a square with the bottom of the ladder, you immediately move up to the top of the ladder. :)

Today's cardio: 1.74 miles in 20 minutes. It's a start, especially given that I've done 0 cardio in the longest time.

EDIT: WOOPS, I forgot to include the nutrition part. Thanks for reminding me!

Nutrition

Clean food 6 days a week, unrestricted cheat day on Sunday. 1g of protein per pound of body weight, and I'm aiming for maintenance - 500 calories (about 2000-2200).

FrostFox
10-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Woops, also forgot to included starting stats and such.

Waist (around belly): 35"
Thighs (around butt): 41.5"
Weight: 179.6 lbs

FrostFox
10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
-= DAY 1 of 84 =-

Cardio: 1.74 miles in 20 minutes
Food: 1985 calories, 194g protein

FrostFox
10-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Looks like somebody downrated my thread... I hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings in my rants. I just call it like I see it. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll make the necessary adjustments.

FrostFox
10-02-2007, 03:10 PM
-= DAY 2 of 84 =-

Today's workout was a disaster; not the bad kind of disaster, the "getting adjusted to volume training and tweaking my program" disaster. :) It turns out that I did the same mistake twice - I put the military press right after the bench press - and I couldn't even complete my warmups sets for the military.

I also completely missed some muscle groups (my chest doesn't feel worked at all!), while totally overdoing my arms. I'm making the following changes for upper body days:

chest: Dumbell Flyes, with one superset of Dumbell Bench Presses
Flyes are supposed to be the best chest exercise. We'll see.

shoulders: Seated Dumbell Shoulder presses
Doesn't touch the chest at all :)

back: haven't decided yet.
I was using pendlay rows, which are also arm-heavy... yeech.

tricep pulldowns and arm curls went well.

Nutrition info at the end of the day. No cravings to cheat, then again it's only Day 2.

derickonfire
10-02-2007, 04:03 PM
I should have seen that - becn can be rough, and followed by Military Presses is even rougher..

I always make sure to put my squats right after my bench to give my arms a moment of rest...

May I ask why you haven't considered EC stack? I think it'll abolish almost all your desires too cheat.
I've been off the stack for about a week right now, and I can still control my appetite a bit better than pre-stack.

FrostFox
10-02-2007, 11:49 PM
No EC stack because I've tried caffeine-based fat burners before, and I simply cannot deal with the side effects, even at minimum dosage.

I think my desire to cheat has significantly waned since I began... at the start I was horrible. The velocity diet shocked my body into loving healthy food. I can't stand a lot of the bad stuff anymore (soda pop for example).

Food: 1990 calories, 180g protein

I have to say it's so much easier to get the protein that I need with 2000 calories rather than 1600 or 1400...

FrostFox
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
-= Day 3 of 84 =-

Cardio: 1.79 miles in 20 minutes
I plan to increase distance by a little bit each time out... eventually I'll get up there.

derickonfire
10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
-= Day 3 of 84 =-

Cardio: 1.79 miles in 20 minutes
I plan to increase distance by a little bit each time out... eventually I'll get up there.

You grow to love cardio... if you don't already.

Especially when it gets easier, I like doing it just because I know I can =P

I like the day labeling scheme, btw - think I'll steal that idea. =P

FrostFox
10-04-2007, 12:28 AM
You grow to love cardio... if you don't already.

Always hated cardio. :) The only cardio I like is when I'm playing sports or otherwise completely distracted from the physical activity. Weight Lifting, on the other hand, is something I enjoy.

I like the day labeling scheme, btw - think I'll steal that idea. =P

lol, well I'm on a specific 3 month program so it will be labeled that way until I finish in December. Hopefully by then I will be ripped to shreds.

Nutrition: 2035 calories, 189g protein

Sellhast
10-04-2007, 08:18 AM
I'll be tracking your progress. I hope you see some good improvements with your new plan.

FrostFox
10-04-2007, 02:23 PM
I'll be tracking your progress. I hope you see some good improvements with your new plan.

Thanks! Always nice to see a new face in this here thread. :)

I'm happy to say that I'm not having trouble with cravings or temptation. I drive past my favorite restaurants and watch other people eat some pretty tasty stuff (pizza and breadsticks) right in front of my face without even a hint of temptation. I'm fairly certain I will be able to keep up this diet indefinitely (well, the cals will increase when I'm at my target weight). My only problem is having to psych myself into downing those protein shakes... Muscle Milk tastes great, but in the words of jhf, "protein shakes taste like the devil's piss with water". Hopefully one day, somebody will invent a low carb protein supplement that tastes decent, but until then, it's forcefeeding time :)

stevenadrien
10-05-2007, 12:16 AM
HEY
Nicee to see you are still hanging in there..
My weight's ok
I've been around 180 for a bit, been kinda slacking off from the cardio but the weight lifting class is the most intense part of my day.
I hit 210 lbs on bench today which is pretty good :D

Keep it up man, i learn from everything you write here.

FrostFox
10-05-2007, 01:36 AM
HEY
Nicee to see you are still hanging in there..
My weight's ok
I've been around 180 for a bit, been kinda slacking off from the cardio but the weight lifting class is the most intense part of my day.
I hit 210 lbs on bench today which is pretty good :D

Keep it up man, i learn from everything you write here.

210 on the bench? I can probably only bench like 170, lol. I know a ton of girls who can do more than that.

Keep at it and you will get there. :)

FrostFox
10-05-2007, 01:38 AM
-= Day 4 of 84 =-

Lower body workout was a little screwy... not at all used to volume. I still have to fine tune the weights and exercises of pretty much everything.

Food: 2030 calories, 180g protein

I'm very pleased that I am hitting my nutrition goals. How much weight I will actually lose on a weekly basis is another story.

FrostFox
10-06-2007, 12:38 AM
-= Day 5 of 84 =-

Food: ~2300 calories, 181g protein

Calories a little high today because I drank an energy drink before the game.

FrostFox
10-07-2007, 01:07 PM
-= Day 6 of 84 =-

Out of town, taking my cheat day. Regular diet day tomorrow.

FrostFox
10-07-2007, 01:08 PM
-= Day 7 of 84 =-

Today was supposed to be an arm workout day, but I still have severe DOMS in my forearms, shoulders and neck. A workout would be counterproductive at this point. Tomorrow, I will resume with my HIIT cardio.

derickonfire
10-07-2007, 01:17 PM
You still get DOMS?

Haven't you been lifting for a while?

How's your PWO nutrition?
Maybe it's time to look into some BCAA / Glutamine...

FrostFox
10-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I already take all of that crap... volume workouts make DOMS considerably worse than strength workouts. :P

FrostFox
10-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Food: ~2100 calories, ~180g protein

FrostFox
10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
-= Week 1 review =-

Weight: 179.0 lbs
Essentially unchanged. However, since this a strength program, if I lost a pound of fat while gaining almost a pound of muscle, my weight won't budge. We'll see what the measurements say at the end of the month.

Diet:
Pretty damn good. I met my protein goals every day, and my cals were under control except for 2 slight mishaps.

Workouts: 2/3
DOMS kept me out of the gym on the last one... almost feeling 100% now though!

Cardio: 3/3
I did all of my cardio exercises. However, my problem is that I finish my run with something left in the tank. I think I'll have to kick it up this week, but not so much that I am unable to complete the run.

Overall I'm quite pleased with my first week's performance.

derickonfire
10-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I like to sprint as hard as I can for the last 20-60 seconds of my run.. maybe ya should try that?

Good job man.

FrostFox
10-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I like to sprint as hard as I can for the last 20-60 seconds of my run.. maybe ya should try that?

Good job man.

I'm on a treadmill... I vary the speed with time. My program is:

1 minute intervals

base speed
base speed
base +1
base +2
base +3
base +4
(repeat base +1 to base +4 three more times)
base +5
base speed

So it's already a form of interval training. My normal base speed is between 3 and 4mph, and every step is an additional mph.

I haven't cracked 2 miles in 20 minutes yet (that would be 6mph), but I hope to get there soon. Thanks :)

derickonfire
10-08-2007, 01:20 PM
It was just a suggestion.

When I jog steady for 20-30 minutes I try to aim for 6-7mph.
Usually I'll increase my speed uptop 8-9-10mph for the last minute or so, then drop it down to a walk of 3.8-4.1mph until I catch my breath.

After lifting I usually only jog for 8-9minutes at 6-7mph, then increase it slowly for a few minutes.

Bottom line - if ya still got something left in the tank, you need to push harder. =P

FrostFox
10-08-2007, 11:29 PM
-= DAY 8 of 84 =-

Cardio: Ran 1.93 miles... I bumped up my base speed to 3.5 on this one. I am going to bump it up again next time to 4mph to start. After that, it'll be a slow climb.

Food: 1950 calories, 179g protein

EDIT: corrected the food totals

FrostFox
10-10-2007, 10:59 AM
-= Day 9 of 84 =-

Workout: Missed. Not feeling well today.

Food: 1780 calories, 172g protein
Didnd't eat enough today.

FrostFox
10-10-2007, 02:48 PM
-= Day 10 of 84 =-

Yesterday's low cals sure showed in today's unofficial weigh in: 178 pounds. Because Body-for-Life is a volume program, I do not want to see these kinds of drastic drops in weight.

In other news, my sig has caused a little bit of a bruhaha on the strength forums. In case you missed my explanation there: it's a joke. Jokes aren't meant to be politically correct. If you don't find it funny, it was not for you; in the future, kindly ignore it. Thanks.

Now with that nicety out of the way: I had to drag my ass to the gym. Again, I was not feeling well, but I did not want to miss two workouts in a row.

Cardio: Ran 1.94 miles, with my base speed increasing to 3.6 mph. I almost failed to make it in this run (probably because of my low cals from the day before). One more thing - I am doing this cardio fasted, and do not eat for an hour afterwards.

Food info coming at the end of the day.

derickonfire
10-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Fasted cardio w/ no food around it?

Ick.. not even a protein shake Post/Pre?
That's gotta feel brutal and exhausting bro.

If you're sick - take it easy. I missed TWO workout's AND ate high the last time I was sick. I'm pretty sure it allowed me to recover much quicker. I also doubled my vitamin intake, for whatever reason.

GJ on the cardio.

Why is the 1lb weight loss bad?

Really, weight is so hard to gauge man - I gave up on the huge daily and weekly fluctuations.. one week I'd be 185, then 189 a week later, but the day after the 189 weigh in I'd be 184.6.. it's just too hard to set a good time to weigh in with different food digestion times and 'bathroom' times and everything.

How are ya looking? How are the clothes fitting?

Do you take whey? I think you should add half a scoop extra to one of your shakes to given you a little bit extra protein, you're barely cutting the 1g/weight rule that people seem to so widely stress. It's also much harder for the protein to turn to fat.

Maybe look at a small whey shake Pre/Post jog?

derickonfire
10-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Hah, just realized how newbish I may seem sometimes - with some of my silly questions in my own log, yet I do my best do offer my own advice.

I hope you don't brush my suggestions off as nothing - I DO spend hours and hours on these forums everyday, so I like to think that I can contribue somehow - if even just bringing up ideas for you to ponder, even if ya decide to brush them off as phony. I just want you to have all the bases covered.

FrostFox
10-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Fasted cardio w/ no food around it?

Ick.. not even a protein shake Post/Pre?
That's gotta feel brutal and exhausting bro.

That's the idea. I'm following the Body-for-Life program with no deviations (save one cardio session = sports), and the program prescribes fasted cardio and no eating for an hour afterwards.

If you're sick - take it easy. I missed TWO workout's AND ate high the last time I was sick.

Thanks for assuaging the guilt somewhat. :)

Why is the 1lb weight loss bad?

Because it's either water or glycogen, and I can't afford to lose neither. Fat loss caps out at about half a pound per day, and that's only if you're doing a low cal keto diet.

Really, weight is so hard to gauge man

Yeah. I need to hide my scale, lol.

How are ya looking? How are the clothes fitting?

I think I look okay... I need to buy new clothes. I bought these when I weighed close to 200 at the beginning of the year. But I don't want to buy new clothes and then lose another 15 pounds then they end up being too big. So it looks like I'm going to look like a bum for another few months ;)

Do you take whey?

If my logs were half as organized as yours, you wouldn't need to ask this question :) I take 2 scoops of Matrix 5.0 in water (44g protein) and 2 scoops of Muscle Milk in milk (50g protein) every day. The rest of the protein comes from cottage cheese and sliced meat. I used to eat a lot of fish, but it really stank up the place and it was a pain to prepare. Maybe I should start buying fish again...

I haven't eaten yet today. Crazy. Time for some eggs!

EDIT:

I hope you don't brush my suggestions off as nothing

I always take your suggestions very seriously, Derick! I'm not some emo kid who thinks highly of his own opinions, lol :)

derickonfire
10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Mmm.. fish =P

Eggs are good too.. eat up my friend!

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4393/p1000469ku5.jpg

This is my meal the other day.. more protein then I could handle - I'm sure =P

All egg whites + veg sausage. I'm sure real sausage / hamburger would be just as good.

derickonfire
10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Btw - fat free cream cheese is awesome. Check it out if ya can - a nice big 1oz serving is 30cals, 1 carb, rest protein. Might help add some protein to your meals, and some moisture.. mixes will in shake - on toast - meats - desserts, whatever.

The other cheese is Kraft pre-shredded fat free cheddar. 45 calories for 1/4 cup, mostly protein, no fat, low low carbs.

Check that out too - cream, cheddar, and cottage cheese are STAPLES as far as my protein intake is concerned.

stevenadrien
10-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Btw - fat free cream cheese is awesome. Check it out if ya can - a nice big 1oz serving is 30cals, 1 carb, rest protein. Might help add some protein to your meals, and some moisture.. mixes will in shake - on toast - meats - desserts, whatever.

The other cheese is Kraft pre-shredded fat free cheddar. 45 calories for 1/4 cup, mostly protein, no fat, low low carbs.

Check that out too - cream, cheddar, and cottage cheese are STAPLES as far as my protein intake is concerned.

What is that meal made of
I'm sorry but my eyes can't help savor the wonder so i can't focus and find out what it is

FrostFox
10-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Food: 2010 calories, 186g protein

Finally got my macros in order. Still no cheats this week... I need to shop for groceries tomorrow though. I'll look for things on Derick's list - they sound just too tasty to ignore. :)

The only thing I need to work on is my weight training. Cardio is going great. Upper body workout tomorrow...

derickonfire
10-10-2007, 11:10 PM
What is that meal made of
I'm sorry but my eyes can't help savor the wonder so i can't focus and find out what it is

A lot of egg whites and veg sausage scrambled and topped with FF cheddar.

14carb, 2 fiber, wheat bread with sugar-free jam (10cals a tbsp) , and 2 side veg sausage patties.

You're going to post your workouts right?

Can't wait to see em buddy.

FrostFox
10-11-2007, 12:42 AM
If you're talking about my workouts, I suppose I can post one lower and one upper so people can see what they look like. After that, it's just a matter of changing the weights. The general structure of them I have linked before at the body for life site.

In other news, the flamewar about my signature continues. I'll post more about it here when it is finally resolved. I won't bother to link it, because frankly I don't think it's worth anybody's time other than the people who are participating in it. Actually, I take that back. I don't think it's even worth my time. That the reps system is abusable in that people can neg you for views that have nothing to with bodybuilding is the biggest sham of all.

derickonfire
10-11-2007, 12:57 AM
I agree.

I got my first neg the other day.. for posting a video in the misc of some COPS killing a guy with tasers.

ya.

Apparently my views are sick and twisted.. I just wanted to spread the education.

CR Racer
10-11-2007, 04:08 PM
i got some ideas for new foods here, thanks derick. and frostfox keep up the good work.

stevenadrien
10-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Sorry for a lil side hijack
but what where did you buy that meat derick?
Talkin abuot the burger like ones.

OTP
Good job Frosty
and link me to this debate, I always have time to read how retarded people are, especially on the internet.

derickonfire
10-11-2007, 06:25 PM
http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/images/ServeImage.aspx?BID=14891&MD5=499c01e73479e39a84334a294d0c03dd

http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/product_detail.aspx?family=934&id=355

Wal-Mart..

Soy.. but tastes delicious..

Idk if you can find real meat / sausage with the same macros that only need to be microwaved for a minute.

FrostFox
10-11-2007, 08:34 PM
-= Day 11 of 84 =-

Doing great, food-wise. I bought some fat free cheddar (they only had the sliced stuff) and some fat free cream cheese, along with some low fat cottage cheese. I also bought a bunch of those microwavable weight watchers meals. Typically ~350 cals, ~17g protein, done in a snap. Thanks again Derick for those suggestions :)

I still only had two very very minor deviations from the diet total, and nothing so far this week. Overall I'm very happy that I can stick with 2000 cals. I know the weight loss will be very slow at this point, but at least I can build a bit of strength in the process of cutting.

Workout: (weight x reps)
Upper Body
Chest:
Dumbell Bench Press: 12x30, 10x35, 8x40, 6x45, 12x40
Dumbell Flyes: failed :( couldn't do a single rep
Shoulders:
Dumbell Shoulder Press: 12x10, 10x15, 8x20, 6x25, 12x20
Dumbell Shrugs: 12x65
Back:
Widegrip Pulldowns: 12x30, 10x45, 8x60, failed next set
Triceps:
Tricep Pulldowns: 12x30, 10x40, 8x50, 12x40
Dips: failed -> 6 out of 12 reps (bodyweight)
Biceps:
Standing Barbell Curls: 12x20, 10x30, 8x40, 6x50, 12x40
Alternating Seated Hammer Curls: failed -> only 6 out of 12 reps

Slight, and I mean very slight, progress from last week. Better than standing still, I guess.

FrostFox
10-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Steve, you can look at my post history if you are really interested, but there is no way in hell I am linking it directly. I was right, but it doesn't matter if people can't see the truth. Plus, it was time to update my sig to something a bit more philosophical :)

AntonBachuk
10-11-2007, 08:57 PM
damn sure is philosophical lol, im really happy for your progress buddy

CR Racer
10-11-2007, 09:04 PM
frostfox and derick please feel free to comment and read my log. your words of encouragement would mean lots to me.

FrostFox
10-11-2007, 09:13 PM
damn sure is philosophical lol, im really happy for your progress buddy

Where you been man? Nice to see you again!

FrostFox
10-11-2007, 09:18 PM
All right CR, I found your log. Link that thing in your sig. :)

derickonfire
10-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Tough workout..

Are all those fails part of it?
I'm really not sure on the goal?

Imo, I feel like **** when I fail an exercise, I'd rather go lower and do everything I planned.

Glad to see ya found new foods - I used to buy those weight watcher meals too, I might buy some more often now that I'm bulking. It's just hard finding some with good protein - though I guess a protein chocolate milkshake on the side wouldn't hurt, eh? =P

AntonBachuk
10-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Where you been man? Nice to see you again!

Thanks bro yeah im back, go to my thread for "explanation" lol, i was going through few things but back for good now, happy to see you all still going at it

FrostFox
10-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Food: 2060 calories, 174 protein

Slightly low on the protein. Oh well.

Are all those fails part of it?

A failure means I failed to complete the exercises for the body part. My typical pattern is:

12 reps, 1 minute rest
increase weight, 10 reps, 1 minute rest
increase weight, 8 reps, 1 minute rest
increase weight, 6 reps, 1 minute rest
decrease weight, 12 reps, no rest
change exercise, but do the same bodypart (i.e. a "superset"), 12 reps
go to next exercise

I do this for every bodypart. For example, above, my Dumbell Flyes were my superset for the chest. You will notice I only have 1 exercise listed for the back... if I work to failure in my first exercise, I don't go on to the second because at that point I'll be hard pressed to do a single rep.

It's the supersets that usually get me. I'm still adjusting the weight downwards on exercises I don't even come close to finishing.

If I manage to complete the workout sets and the supersets with good technique, I increase my base weight my next time out.

derickonfire
10-12-2007, 12:59 AM
A failure means I failed to complete the exercises for the body part. My typical pattern is:

That's what I thought...

Just making sure that your workout wasn't to 'train to failure'.. because I'd have to tell you to rethink that.

Glad to see you're still re-adjusting.

What supps are ya taking btw.. just curious?
I think I over-did it on the supps, hah.. I mean their all basics - nothing bad, just too much. Gonna cut back I think.

FrostFox
10-12-2007, 03:20 AM
That's what I thought...

Just making sure that your workout wasn't to 'train to failure'.. because I'd have to tell you to rethink that.

There are some gurus that recommend training to failure. That may be the way to go for mass, but for strength, training to failure on a consistent basis is just asking for an injury.

What supps are ya taking btw.. just curious?
I think I over-did it on the supps, hah.. I mean their all basics - nothing bad, just too much. Gonna cut back I think.

Muscle Milk, 2 scoops, with 2 cups of skim milk: 570 cals, 50g protein
Matrix 5.0, 2 scoops, in water: 220 cals, 44g protein
Omega 3 fish oil capsules
Some random brand of multivitamins

You need to be careful when it comes to supplements, the **** gets expensive. The only stuff you really need are protein supplements, your healthy fats and your multis. The rest is BS or only for the advance weight lifter (fat burners, creatine, steroids, etc).

FrostFox
10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
-= Day 12 of 84 =-

This is Friday's update. I did well.

Cardio: sports
Food: 2120 calories, 183g protein

Calories a little high but you know what? I weighed myself at the lowest yet, at 177.8 pounds this morning.

I am taking today as my cheat day, tomorrow will be back to healthy eats. Which is good because I am out of eggs ;)

Hotmoltenlava
10-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Keep it up. You're doing a great job!

derickonfire
10-13-2007, 12:45 PM
-= Day 12 of 84 =-

This is Friday's update. I did well.

Cardio: sports
Food: 2120 calories, 183g protein

Calories a little high but you know what? I weighed myself at the lowest yet, at 177.8 pounds this morning.

I am taking today as my cheat day, tomorrow will be back to healthy eats. Which is good because I am out of eggs ;)

My calories were always ranging with a 3-400 difference every day =)

Just keep it in a perma-deficit and you'll be ok.

FrostFox
10-13-2007, 11:46 PM
-= Day 13 of 84 =-

Cheat day. I went as nuts as I can, but I think this stomach shrinking urban legend is true... I simply am not able to stuff as much crap down my throat as I used to.

Funny thing: I almost cheated on my cheat day. I had no unhealthy food in my cupboards by some minor miracle, and I was hungry... so I almost ate some healthy food until I got a hold of myself and bought some junk.

Will do a leg day and regular eats tomorrow.

derickonfire
10-14-2007, 02:56 AM
-= Day 13 of 84 =-

Cheat day. I went as nuts as I can, but I think this stomach shrinking urban legend is true... I simply am not able to stuff as much crap down my throat as I used to.

Funny thing: I almost cheated on my cheat day. I had no unhealthy food in my cupboards by some minor miracle, and I was hungry... so I almost ate some healthy food until I got a hold of myself and bought some junk.

Will do a leg day and regular eats tomorrow.

So.. whatcha end up eating?

My favorite cheat is some sort of fast food mexican dish - by far.

Not like taco bell - but one of those fast food authentic places...

Glory glory..

FrostFox
10-14-2007, 03:09 AM
Ate some pizza, cheese, peanuts, chips, crackers, grilled cheese, and a few other little things. Drank some soda and I regret it... I always feel like utter garbage after I do. Damn caffeine, I just can't take it!

Looking forward to Monday's weigh-in. Half a pound of weight loss per week is fine with me as long as I'm gaining muscle at the same time.

FrostFox
10-14-2007, 03:20 AM
Keep it up. You're doing a great job!

Thanks. :)

FrostFox
10-14-2007, 08:52 PM
-= Day 14 of 84 =-

Food: 2065 calories, 178g protein

Workout: Very little progress from week to week for the lower body. I am not very enthused about this program so far, but I will give it a bit more time.

george9856
10-14-2007, 10:25 PM
-= Day 14 of 84 =-

Food: 2065 calories, 178g protein

Workout: Very little progress from week to week for the lower body. I am not very enthused about this program so far, but I will give it a bit more time.

you been followin ur diet very nicely mate !! keep it going bro !!!

FrostFox
10-15-2007, 12:31 AM
you been followin ur diet very nicely mate !! keep it going bro !!!

Thanks. Like I said above, the only thing that's really been disappointing me is the workouts. The cardio is fine, but the fact that Bill Phillips doesn't really help people design a program that works (we only have a very rough outline of the workout, then we are thrown into the fire) is really becoming frustrating.

I have seen no real progress in my lifts since I have started this program 2 weeks ago, and the DOMS after the workouts is simply brutal. This may be because I'm operating at a caloric deficit, but it's only 500, shouldn't I at least be increasing weight on my lifts a little bit after each workout, given that I'm still pretty much a noob? If I'm not going to gain muscle and strength, what is the use of only going on a deficit of 500 and not 1000 and lose weight at a faster pace while sparing muscle using a basic program like Rippetoe's?

I'll give this program more time, but I want to see results. A review of the results thusfar is coming tomorrow morning. See you then.

derickonfire
10-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Your gains aren't going up - they're not going down are they?

IMO - severe doms and you aren't making much progress? Maybe you're overtraining of some sort, I don't get dom's much anymore even after a hard brutal day in the gym.

How's the fat / mirror progress coming? Ultimately that's the bottom line.

Maybe you should go for something like Ripptoes?

What is your PRE and POST workout nutrition / shakes / meals?

Keep up the food goals bro, I believe thats 90% of the battle when trying to cut. Calories and Macros.

FrostFox
10-15-2007, 12:40 PM
-= Week 2 review =-

Weight: 179.6 lbs
Increased. Given that this has happened, I have decided to take my measurements.

Waist: 34.75" change: -.25"
Hips: 41.25" change: -.25"
It appears I lost a quarter inch on my waist and hips, while maintaining my weight. I guess it's not hopeless after all.

Unfortunately, this also means it will take almost a year or so to reach my fitness goal (and not 3 months, as promised by Bill Phillips). But how many people can go bat**** insane off their diet one day per week?

Diet:
I followed it exactly.

Workouts: 2/3
Still need to work on this.

Cardio: 3/3
Once again, I did them all. Fasted cardio on the running.

Another successful week. My only problem with the program is the workouts, which I have to continue to fine-tune until I make some progress. I've been thinking of ending each bodypart with a bodyweight exercise variation. More on this tomorrow.

I felt kinda ****ty this morning not seeing my weight move, but once again, the tale of the tape tells the truth about my progress. It looks like I may have gained a little muscle, but then again the differences are so minute it may just be measurement error. At the end of the month, if I lose a full half-inch from the beginning, then I am certain this program will actually be working.

I'm off to the gym. I'll see you folks later.

derickonfire
10-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Ya thought about active recovery?

Don't do bodyweight variations after you've already brutalized your muscles.. what are you thinking bro? You say that your CURRENT workout is kicking your ass, why add more?

Look into active recovery, maybe keep your current workout the same, but do some light bodyweight exercises on your off-days?

just a thought, have a good workout my friend,

I just got back from mine =) Still sweating actually.. 40 minutes later.

BTW, I think your waist is officially smaller than mine.. idk atm though - I told myself no measurements until post-bulk.. or december. Then I'll see what kind of damage I did to my hard cutting effort, haha..

FrostFox
10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Your gains aren't going up - they're not going down are they?

I wouldn't know if they are going down or not, as I have yet to establish a baseline and pick exercises that I am going to stick with. I am still trying to eliminate all the overlap with the bodyparts so I can give each one a good thrashing.

IMO - severe doms and you aren't making much progress?

Or it could just be my body. I didn't feel sore at all after a few workouts with Rippetoes, so maybe I am still getting accustomed to a volume workout.

Maybe you should go for something like Ripptoes?

If I still see progress at the end of the month, I'll stick with this program. Otherwise, it's changing. If I go nowhere and my gains were just measurement errors, it's probably going to be velocity time and then bulk from there.

What is your PRE and POST workout nutrition / shakes / meals?

I eat 4 to 6 small meals per day. I normally don't take anything specifically pre-workout. My PWO shake is either muscle milk (570 cal 50g protein) or matrix 5.0 (220 cal 44g protein).

Keep up the food goals bro, I believe thats 90% of the battle when trying to cut. Calories and Macros.

That's what I've been doing best so far. Which is strangely ironic, because it used to be I looked forward to my workouts because they were easy and fun. Now they are difficult and torturous.

FrostFox
10-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Ya thought about active recovery?

Don't do bodyweight variations after you've already brutalized your muscles.. what are you thinking bro? You say that your CURRENT workout is kicking your ass, why add more?

Never heard about active recovery... going to look that up later. I'm late for my cardio :)

The bodyweight variations would replace my second work set. My sets go (rep-wise) 12/10/8/6/12/12, with that last set of 12 being a different exercise. I was thinking of just replacing that last 12 with a bodyweight exercise.

In any case, I am sticking to the program to the letter until I decide to quit it. That way I can flame whoever tauts how awesome or how effective it is. :)

BTW, I think your waist is officially smaller than mine.. idk atm though - I told myself no measurements until post-bulk.. or december. Then I'll see what kind of damage I did to my hard cutting effort, haha..

Well, I measure it over my belly button, because otherwise we're talking measurement error up the bum. I find that it's the only way to accurately measure my waist and get a similar number every time I do it.

gymratluke
10-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Wow I take MM and Matrix also!!

-Aaron-
10-15-2007, 01:03 PM
After reading every progress report in this thread, yeah I was bored, all I can say is good work!

-Aaron-
10-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Wow I take MM and Matrix also!!

Why do you take Matrix? :eek:

FrostFox
10-15-2007, 04:02 PM
My local supp stores are no longer holding Matrix 5.0, so looks like I'll be switching to something else once this bag is done.

Muscle Milk is just awesome.

Thanks Aaron... you've done a specatcular job yourself!

All right, I went down to the local store and tried on some pants. 36 regular fit are a little snug, but 38s are way too loose. I am not buying pants until I hit 34s. The way I see it, I'll go from 38s -> 34s -> 30s. That's the plan, anyway :)

FrostFox
10-16-2007, 02:36 AM
-= Day 15 of 84 =-

First day I missed my cardio... I was distracted this morning then fell under an avalanche of work. My own fault. Food was taken care of though.

Food: 1970 calories, 181g protein

FrostFox
10-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Philosophical update: I just realized that I've been taking my health seriously for over 3 months now... and by the end of the year, it will be 6 months. If I can lose as much fat in October/November/December as I did in July/August/September, I'll be ecstatic.

I'm glad I'm finally on the right track. Those of you reading these journals wondering whether or not you should start one and begin a path to get in shape, I urge take that first step and do it! I'm already feeling much better about myself, have more energy, and getting more looks from girls (from none to a little bit, lol). Bad food doesn't control me like it used to. I can only imagine how good I will feel (and look) 6 months from now. If my lazy ass can drop some weight, anybody can.

That's all for tonight.

stark6935
10-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Right on man. I just keep at it. I have some bad days, but I know if I can at least keep my weight +/- like 5 lbs ill be good, and just go down from there.

I can't wait to meet my goal, and I hope you do too.

derickonfire
10-16-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm proud of you for keeping it up man.

There's only a few logs that I follow that have consistent updates - you're doing good.

BTW, I fail at bulking. Haha, HIIT =P
I've been eating 3.2k-ish calories though, so I figured it would be ok... what do you think? My goal is to become a greek god - not a bodybuilder TANK sized dude. Someone like Matthor or Baley have my ideal physique.

FrostFox
10-17-2007, 12:10 AM
-= Day 16 of 84 =-

Sick day. Barely ate anything, no workout, trying to get a lot of sleep. I should be all right tomorrow.

derickonfire
10-17-2007, 07:15 AM
-= Day 16 of 84 =-

Sick day. Barely ate anything, no workout, trying to get a lot of sleep. I should be all right tomorrow.

Get better man.

FrostFox
10-17-2007, 02:14 PM
-= Day 17 of 84 =-

Sick again. See yesterday. I think it might be a flu or something, I may be out for a few more days... we'll see.

derickonfire
10-17-2007, 02:21 PM
-= Day 17 of 84 =-

Sick again. See yesterday. I think it might be a flu or something, I may be out for a few more days... we'll see.

Eat at maintenance?

FrostFox
10-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm not even hungry enough to do that. :( Going to try though. I'm more concerned with getting enough protein - it's hard downing those shakes when you're already ill.

derickonfire
10-17-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm not even hungry enough to do that. :( Going to try though. I'm more concerned with getting enough protein - it's hard downing those shakes when you're already ill.

Take your cheat meal early and order a pizza with tons of meats - should get ya plenty of cals carbs and protein for the day..

Drink lots of fluids and just rest man..

hope ya get better soon

derickonfire
10-19-2007, 07:49 PM
How ya doin', friend?

stevenadrien
10-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Let's hope he's ok. That illness must have really taken a toll on him.

FrostFox
10-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Feeling a little better. Haven't been eating the best (far from all-out cheating, though), but I've been doing a lot of sleeping.

FrostFox
10-20-2007, 08:47 PM
All right, I'm back and in action.

Unfortunately, I gained about 2.5 pounds on my 3 days off. Ouch! Granted, some of that is water. But I want to be in the 160s by the new year with a 34" waist, and this current diet is not going to take me there in time.

I am going to return to my previous diet of ~1500 cals per day (1000 deficit) because that diet allowed me to lose 2 pounds per week with no cardio. I'm also going back to Rippetoes; I'll give a volume program another shot when I'm eating at or above maintenance. Until then, here's to simplicity.

derickonfire
10-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Hell ya brother.

Sounds like your confident in your decision, and I support you.

It seems like this new workout was too taxing or something, and the progress wasn't worth it?

Good luck man.. that's a very low cal limit!

FrostFox
10-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Hell ya brother.

Sounds like your confident in your decision, and I support you.

It seems like this new workout was too taxing or something, and the progress wasn't worth it?

Good luck man.. that's a very low cal limit!

The diet wasn't the problem... the rate at which I was losing weight was. 2000 cals + full cheat day once a week = 0.25 pounds a week if I'm lucky. I probably wasn't gaining much muscle, given that I was in a caloric deficit. And I absolutely hated that workout program. I dreaded going to the gym; on Rippetoes, I looked forward to workouts. I never had to deal with serious DOMS beyond the first week on Rippetoes, while on BFL I had it after every workout and I wasn't feeding my body enough to repair itself afterwards.

Very low cals, but that's how I lose weight in September. Earlier in my life, I lost weight by biking for almost an hour, and I did that about 5 times per week... no weight lifting. I'd rather starve myself than go through that again.

I'll start counting up the days, but I am not going to have a specific stop date like I had before. My goals are simple: under 170 lbs and under 34" waist by Jan 1st. I have about 2 inches to go.

I contemplated starting a velocity diet, but as long as I can lose weight using this method, I will keep that "in reserve" so to speak.

CR Racer
10-20-2007, 09:36 PM
i lose about 2 pounds a week on average. after losing 50 pounds but waist size went from a tight squeeze at 36 to comfy at 34. you might be SOL bud.

how much do you weigh now?

FrostFox
10-20-2007, 10:11 PM
This morning I weighed 180. Out of high school, I was 160 lbs and a 32 waist. I figure if I go all the way down to 160, I'll be a 32 again. We'll see.

FrostFox
10-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Starting Weight: 180 lbs.

[ DAY 1 ]
Food: 1485 calories, 105 protein

note: I lost 2 pounds in one day, waking up at 178.2 pounds the day after... the water weight is coming off. 160 club, here I come!

derickonfire
10-21-2007, 01:06 PM
105g protein!?