PDA

View Full Version : Total Fat, Saturated Fat & Sugars: How much is ok?

LiveInLA
07-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Can I get some feedback on what constitutes a healthy intake of toal fat, saturated fat and sugars. I'm 165 lbs and I get all my nutrition from healthy foods but find it hard to avoid them. How much is ok? TIA...

Oddball8945
07-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Can I get some feedback on what constitutes a healthy intake of toal fat, saturated fat and sugars. I'm 165 lbs and I get all my nutrition from healthy foods but find it hard to avoid them. How much is ok? TIA...

if you get all your nutrition from healthy foods as you say you are then it doesnt matter just don't have stupid ratios at the end of the day.

Have balance, and if the fats and sugars are comming from the healthy foods then its fine.

The Solution
07-30-2007, 05:50 PM
if ur getting ur sugars from milk and fruit.. then why would u worry

what other sources of sugars are u getting from foods??

do u eat a lot of processed foods? it seems like u dont by what u say

what does ur normal diet look like?

LiveInLA
07-30-2007, 06:07 PM
if ur getting ur sugars from milk and fruit.. then why would u worry

what other sources of sugars are u getting from foods??

do u eat a lot of processed foods? it seems like u dont by what u say

what does ur normal diet look like?

Not worried, im a newbie trying to get acclimated. My nutrition consists of protein shakes, tuna, chicken, egg omelletes with veggies, peanut butter, raw fruit & vegetables, vegetable stew, yogurt, pasta, oatmeal, wheat bread, avocados, occasional sushi and so on.

parkerbro1
07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Not worried, im a newbie trying to get acclimated. My nutrition consists of protein shakes, tuna, chicken, egg omelletes with veggies, peanut butter, raw fruit & vegetables, vegetable stew, yogurt, pasta, oatmeal, wheat bread, avocados, occasional sushi and so on.

That's pretty good. The ratios are maybe where you might worry (too much fat even good fat is too much calories that can be stored. too much calories period can lead to weight gain). Their are good articles on here about this.
Maybe write a food journal with the ratio breakdowns (grams of protein, carbs, fat). Give us a better idea of what and when you eat and in what amounts. Cool?

LiveInLA
07-31-2007, 10:36 PM
That's pretty good. The ratios are maybe where you might worry (too much fat even good fat is too much calories that can be stored. too much calories period can lead to weight gain). Their are good articles on here about this.
Maybe write a food journal with the ratio breakdowns (grams of protein, carbs, fat). Give us a better idea of what and when you eat and in what amounts. Cool?

Will do...

parkerbro1
08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Will do...

How's that food journal comin'? Any progress?

LiveInLA
08-04-2007, 08:06 PM

Still working on it.

LiveInLA
08-05-2007, 10:35 AM

OK bro, here is a simple breakdown of the macro ratios that I consumed this past week on a daily basis, give a few. I'm probably under my recommended daily allowance but I'm just now starting to tweak the numbers and I still need to determine my BF% before I get more precise. This past week's nutrition is mainly derived from protein shakes, chikcen, fish, raw vegetables, yougurt, avocados, fruit, PB and a couple of whole-egg omelletes, but didn't keep track of what quantitiy of macros came from what foods. Anyhow, thanks for offering your critique, here it is...

Macros:

Protein---145g
Carbos---82g
Fat------38g

Other nutrients:

Potassium----330mg
Calcium------540mg
Fiber---------11g
Sugar--------37g
Sodium-------995mg
Sat. Fat----- 6.5g
Cholesterol---235mg
Trans Fat----0

skinnyboipgh
08-05-2007, 10:41 AM
USDA guidelines recommend no more than 8% of total calories come from refined sugars.

Oddball8945
08-05-2007, 10:43 AM
OK bro, here is a simple breakdown of the macro ratios that I consumed this past week on a daily basis, give a few. I'm probably under my recommended daily allowance but I'm just now starting to tweak the numbers and I still need to determine my BF% before I get more precise. This past week's nutrition is mainly derived from protein shakes, chikcen, fish, raw vegetables, yougurt, avocados, fruit, PB and a couple of whole-egg omelletes, but didn't keep track of what quantitiy of macros came from what foods. Anyhow, thanks for offering your critique, here it is...

Macros:

Protein---145g
Carbos---82g
Fat------38g

Other nutrients:

Potassium----330mg
Calcium------540mg
Fiber---------11g
Sugar--------37g
Sodium-------995mg
Sat. Fat----- 6.5g
Cholesterol---235mg
Trans Fat----0

are you cutting/starving yourself ? thats only 1250 calories! you said your 160lbs?

LiveInLA
08-05-2007, 10:45 AM
USDA guidelines recommend no more than 8% of total calories come from refined sugars.

What's the caloric content of refined sugars, how much would 8% come out to in terms of actual grams? Thanks...

OneBetter
08-05-2007, 10:56 AM
What's the caloric content of refined sugars, how much would 8% come out to in terms of actual grams? Thanks...

sugar=carb=4cal/g

8% of your total cals: .08 * 1250 = 100 cals/day of sugar for the reccomended guidelines, which is 25g of sugar.

1250 cals is very low by the way, i would suggest upping it.

LiveInLA
08-05-2007, 01:29 PM
are you cutting/starving yourself ? thats only 1250 calories! you said your 160lbs?

I guess I've been trying to do both. Though I've managed to get get leaner and add a bit of muschle, I'm starting to get the suspicion that I won't progress any further at this point. Not sure where to proceed from here. I'm 165 as of today, 5'10", lean but no six-pack, though I think it's starting to peek. Anyhow, if you guys have any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

LiveInLA
08-07-2007, 04:42 PM

Macros:

Protein---145g
Carbos---82g
Fat------38g

Other nutrients:

Potassium----330mg
Calcium------540mg
Fiber---------11g
Sugar--------37g
Sodium-------995mg
Sat. Fat----- 6.5g
Cholesterol---235mg
Trans Fat----0

xl Achilles lx
08-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I guess I've been trying to do both. Though I've managed to get get leaner and add a bit of muschle, I'm starting to get the suspicion that I won't progress any further at this point. Not sure where to proceed from here. I'm 165 as of today, 5'10", lean but no six-pack, though I think it's starting to peek. Anyhow, if you guys have any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

No way you added anything, especially muscle, with 1250 calories a day.