PDA

View Full Version : Proper Diet

07-28-2007, 06:56 PM
I work and work but cant find myself to lose this or that here or there. I came to the conclusion that it's probably my diet thats keeping that certain part from properly toning/building.

Does any body have a diet that worked really well for them, any supplements taken with or without a certain food that helped them lose that little patch of fat, or anything that they simply cut down on to help them gain that tone & deffinition?

I'd say I eat fairly well. When I'm not eating MRE's I'm very conscious on my calorie count. Not taking in too much but not taking in too little to the point where I'm fiending after a workout. Right now, I put myself on a calorie diet. My first and only diet I have ever been on and I've seen some results...just not of great magnitude. I usually eat a banana for breakfast (if anything), a salad w/ dressing, an apple, and carefully counted Cheez-It pieces to maintain a calorie per-seving size or simple just a well balanced sandwich, then for diner I usually throw something on the grill. Being from WI I usually have my meat red as possible (dont know if that factors into anything), but I'll either have a steak, brat, burger & cheese, etc. with some fries, a pasta salad, potatoes, or something else the wife makes on the side.

Shall I stay with what I'm doing, or does anybody have any ideas of how I can change, what I can cut, what I can add, etc. to my diet?

RippedLikePaper
07-28-2007, 07:30 PM
....fries does not seem like a good idea when cutting....also how many times a day do you eat?

please list everything you eat

boyscouT
07-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Does any body have a diet that worked really well for them, any supplements taken with or without a certain food that helped them lose that little patch of fat, or anything that they simply cut down on to help them gain that tone & deffinition?

boyscouT's Beginners Dieting/Training/Supplementation Guide (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3720211)

07-28-2007, 07:43 PM
I didnt even realize I said fries...but ****, I love them. They're not your typical Mickey D's fries and I dont eat them every night...I just said fries because I ate some as left-overs tonight.

Day-to-day basis of what I eat...

Monday-Friday
Morning: Banana/Apple
Lunch: Sandwich w/ various meats (beef & turkey usually), cheese, mayo, mustard, and maybe lettuce and peppers depending. Or, salad with various meats (again usually turkey and/or beef) ranch dressing, cheese, croutons, & maybe peppers with a fruit (apple, banana, etc.) and a precisely counted wrap of chips/crackers depending on calorie to serving size.
Dinner: The wife is very good with pastas. She usually cooks pasta. I never really eat pasta unless I have a PFT or vigorous workout in the morning. Beside that I usually grill out because grilling out is just good. I usually eat Steak, brats, burgers, when I'm grilling. Otherwise it all depends on what the wife makes...and she always finds something new...usually pasta though.

Factor in alcohol too. I tend to drink a lot.

Also, field ops. I'm in the Marine Corps so half of the week I'm eating MRE's which total to 1200 calories in each MRE.

movinonup88
07-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Just a banana or apple for breakfast? Come on my man, you can and should eat WAY more than that. If you have the time, scramble some eggs (maybe 2 eggs + 6 egg whites) and have a bowl of whole-grain cereal with milk and blueberries. Or do the eggs with whole-grain waffles and sugar-free syrup. Or do the eggs with some home fries cooked in olive oil along with a chicken sausage. Even a large breakfast shake with protein powder, oats, milk, and that banana would be great. You need a lot more calories to start your day than just a simple piece of fruit, so eat up.

07-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Yeah, a lot of it is time though.

Wake up at about 0400 to 0500 when I have to be to work at like 0500 to 0600. I live about a half an hour away from work so I never have time to really get up and make a full breakfast. Alot of times, more often now than ever due to deployment, I'm home late and only care about atleast getting a couple abdominals and whatever the day's routine is in then hitting the rack.

We usually get a good hour - hour and a half for lunch, but again due to time constraints and getting the job done before we deploy, lunch has been kind of canceled out (which is where the MRE's come in).

Dinner is usually my time. I watch what I eat but I still step over the line and eat what I want. I keep a good count throughout the day to see where I'm at in my calorie count then just go all out depending at where I'm at in my calorie count and how many calories I've lost due to workout.

But I mean, thats whats going on now. I just want to know if anyone knows of any diets that helped them. Whether it be an actual diet with a name and book to go along with it or a diet that they themselves looked up, created, and used and seen great results from it.

Like I said, I'm on my very first diet, a calorie watch diet. My maximum calorie intake for the day is 1700 calories (thats to lose weight). I stay away from candy bars, fast food, etc. For as long as I've worked out theres just spots, my lower abdominal and lower back (love handles) that I can't seem to drop with just working out. So, I'm hoping a diet will help (plus a diet to stay healthy). Also, looking for suggestions on getting and maintaining muscle mass and losing a lot of body fat.

The Solution
07-29-2007, 07:15 AM
IMO break down ur meals into 5-6 smaller meals a day with at least a valueable protein source in every meal

get complex carbs in 2-3 of ur meals (usually aroudn ur workout)
the rest of ur meals dealing with a protein + fat source + carbs from veggies (fibrous if possible)

get 2-3 servings of fruit in a day
3+ servings of veggies
before bed have a meal of a caesin protein ( cottage cheese, milk, caesin shake) + a healthy fat source ( Peanut butter, fish-flax-sunflower,olive oil, or almonds/walnuts/peanuts)
drink around 1 gallon of water a day
sleep at least 6+ hours a night

breakfast u better get a good protein source in there bottom line bro and shuold be ur biggest meal of the day

dont give me **** about im not hungry.. ur body jus slept and was deprived of food for nearly 6-8 hours.. feed it.. u weigh 50-60 more lbs then me and i outeat you .. thats disgusting

nhemmie7
08-28-2007, 05:20 AM
....fries does not seem like a good idea when cutting....also how many times a day do you eat?

please list everything you eat
i agree with ya

xl Achilles lx
08-28-2007, 06:33 AM
dont give me **** about im not hungry.. ur body jus slept and was deprived of food for nearly 6-8 hours.. feed it.. u weigh 50-60 more lbs then me and i outeat you .. thats disgusting

Actually many people are never hungry when they get up from sleeping. Take a general poll of people who are never hungry when they get up, you'd be surprised at the results.

To the OP, 1700 cals is way too low IMO man. You gotta revamp that diet asap, adding in a solid breakfast and maybe 1-2 more small meals/snacks to get your calories in. In the morning, just get up earlier to make breakfast man, or make it the night before. Make some home-made protein bars to bring with you throughout the day if you're concerned w/ not getting your cals in. You just gotta manage your time a bit better bro, and you'll be all set.

Widge
08-28-2007, 06:42 AM
have a bit breakfast and take a multi vit with it, drink water and green tea in between meals, keep your weight training intensive and your cardio regular, tbh what your eating now is complete bs, sort it out or you wont lose fat, try 2500 cals with HIIT cardio and weights 4 times a week. 6 meals a day minimum, i dont mean to be harsh but its no wonder you dont burn that extra fat