PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook your steak?

Diab0lic
01-09-2005, 07:18 PM
OK, I had anargument with some of my friends who think that a good steak is a burnt piece of black leather. I told them they were philistine pigs and that a good steak is best done medium rare. How do you cook and / or prefer your steak?

By Steak, I mean beef steak suitable for grilling or frying. This would include: eye fillet, scotch fillet, porterhouse, sirloin, rump and T-bone. It would not include Blade or chuck steaks that are suitable for casserolling, etc.

Rare: The meat is cooked for only a few minutes per side. The outside is seared but not charred the inside is still red and bloody. The middle of the flesh will essentially be raw although warm.

Medium Rare: The meat is cooked slightly longer than rare so the centre is no longer raw but is very pink and still has some blood. It will be hot right through.

Medium: A slightly longer cooking gets a medium steak starting to crisp the outside. The middle is cooked through but still has some pink in the centre. There is no blood by this stage only clear juice.

Medium Well Done: The steak is cooked fairly thoroughly this time. There is no pink in the centre, just a uniform colour. The outside is charred and the meat is toughening, with less clear juice.

Well Done: The steak is cooked to all hell and back. It is quite dry (sometimes fibrous or stringy) and is charred all over. It tastes burnt and is curling up.

Which of these is your deal? I have chosen Medium rare, as I believe this is the best way to enjoy a good steak. In a good restaurant, they will serve steak medium rare unless otherwise specified.

Vote Away :D

Hardgainer2000
01-09-2005, 11:18 PM
OK, I had anargument with some of my friends who think that a good steak is a burnt piece of black leather. I told them they were philistine pigs and that a good steak is best done medium rare. How do you cook and / or prefer your steak?

By Steak, I mean beef steak suitable for grilling or frying. This would include: eye fillet, scotch fillet, porterhouse, sirloin, rump and T-bone. It would not include Blade or chuck steaks that are suitable for casserolling, etc.

Rare: The meat is cooked for only a few minutes per side. The outside is seared but not charred the inside is still red and bloody. The middle of the flesh will essentially be raw although warm.

Medium Rare: The meat is cooked slightly longer than rare so the centre is no longer raw but is very pink and still has some blood. It will be hot right through.

Medium: A slightly longer cooking gets a medium steak starting to crisp the outside. The middle is cooked through but still has some pink in the centre. There is no blood by this stage only clear juice.

Medium Well Done: The steak is cooked fairly thoroughly this time. There is no pink in the centre, just a uniform colour. The outside is charred and the meat is toughening, with less clear juice.

Well Done: The steak is cooked to all hell and back. It is quite dry (sometimes fibrous or stringy) and is charred all over. It tastes burnt and is curling up.

Which of these is your deal? I have chosen Medium rare, as I believe this is the best way to enjoy a good steak. In a good restaurant, they will serve steak medium rare unless otherwise specified.

Vote Away :D

arent you risking eating bacteria if u eat it too rare?

smike
01-09-2005, 11:21 PM
nothing bloody for me

mnbvcxz
01-09-2005, 11:24 PM
well done, i dont think i could stand eating any meat rare

johnsbod
01-09-2005, 11:26 PM
arent you risking eating bacteria if u eat it too rare?

Yes. Eating well done (according to the description given) is also not healthy over the long-term either. Eating meat done in this fashion (I would imagine frequently) has been linked to cancer. Before anyone jumps down my throat on this comment, my wife is an epidemiologist and this information is based on a study that she did as well as other studies she referenced.

Diab0lic
01-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Yes. Eating well done (according to the description given) is also not healthy over the long-term either. Eating meat done in this fashion (I would imagine frequently) has been linked to cancer. Before anyone jumps down my throat on this comment, my wife is an epidemiologist and this information is based on a study that she did as well as other studies she referenced.

Its true, whenever you eat charred food, you are ingesting carcinogens including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons like benzo[a]pyrene. This is a proven human carcinogen.

I believe the risk of bacterial poisoning from beef is very low and is more commonly caused by poorly cooked ground beef than rare steak.

Kyza
01-09-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm a huge meat eater however I never see anything about Steak in peoples diets... why does everyone stick with chicken and not include steak?

Any help there would be appreciated!

lube job
01-09-2005, 11:54 PM
as long as it is NOT pink inside its ok, its not a pussy remember!

paan lokar
01-09-2005, 11:55 PM
as long as it is NOT pink inside its ok, its not a pussy remember!
lol

Riceboi
01-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Can't stand eating beef if it's even the slightest red. I like medium well done or well done.

The Spy
01-10-2005, 12:03 AM
just make sure you didn't buy it from england, mad cow and all!

Hardgainer2000
01-10-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm a huge meat eater however I never see anything about Steak in peoples diets... why does everyone stick with chicken and not include steak?

FAT

JMD
01-10-2005, 12:14 AM
If my memory serves me right steak only has to be done on the outside.Hamburger is different,that needs to be all the way through because you can get e-coli.You can get it from a steak but only on the outside.

Diab0lic
01-10-2005, 12:17 AM
FAT

If you trim the obvious fat off a steak and cook it in a healthy manner, its is just as nutritious and healthy as a piece of chicken. In fact the nutrient and calorie ratios of chicken breast and lean steak are almost identical. Beef is higher in cholesterol but is also higher in iron and creatine.

Lean Eye fillet Steak (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s02qq.html)

Skinless Chicken Breast (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s00jj.html)

note: the serving sizes given for these 2 foods are quite different.

Diab0lic
01-10-2005, 12:19 AM
If my memory serves me right steak only has to be done on the outside.Hamburger is different,that needs to be all the way through because you can get e-coli.You can get it from a steak but only on the outside.

Yep, thats right, its far more common from ground beef than from steak. E.coli poisoning from steak isnt unheard of though. There is also the very small possibility of worms although these can be found in chicken too.

AmateurWrestler
01-10-2005, 01:02 AM
Depends. For flank steak, I eat it medium rare. For sirloin, medium usually.

taffer
01-10-2005, 02:14 AM
medium, i can sometimes go a good medium rare

housejohnson
01-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Rare, rare, rare. Brown the outside and send it to me.

Neil_I
01-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Rare for me too!
30 seconds - 1 minute either side and its done.

Anymore is just a waste of a good steak.

Living in Scotland however, we have the best beef in the world!!

Jules Verne
01-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Bloody as hell!! I want to see the blood when I cut it.

People also usually overcook chicken and pork in my opinion. They shouldn't be rare or bloody, but they donít need to be basted into a dried out lump of chewy crud. Try doing chicken until it 'just' goes white in the center and pork until it is still just slightly pink.

CrimsonGolem
01-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Well done, on the George Foreman grill...I cook almost everything on that grill actually :p

MR.RAMSEY
01-10-2005, 08:57 AM
The majority of my meats are on the Foreman Grill, too!

Mike_In_MD
01-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Medium rare = tender

Cowbell
01-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Chicken or steak--NuWave oven works best---cooked thru but still juicy! Also, easy clean up.

uhockey
01-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Its true, whenever you eat charred food, you are ingesting carcinogens including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons like benzo[a]pyrene. This is a proven human carcinogen.

I believe the risk of bacterial poisoning from beef is very low and is more commonly caused by poorly cooked ground beef than rare steak.

Rep that, everything the man says is true, but I still wouldn't recommend eating it rare. Medium should be safe in terms of both killing bacteria and preventing unnecessary charring/carcinogens.

Kyza
01-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Living in Scotland however, we have the best beef in the world!!

Lier!!! New Zealand beef is waaaay better :D

Stagger
01-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Rare. The redder the better. I'd eat my meat raw if it weren't for all the bacteria and **** from bad farming conditions.

Stagger
01-10-2005, 12:41 PM

They're afraid of the fat in steak. I say who cares, I get more omega-3s than my body knows what to do with, I can handle some beef fat. The meat hierarchy for me goes

Pork (usually tender-loin)
Chicken legs
Steak (t-bone)
Chicken breast

Besides, any cut with "Round" or "Loin" in it is fairly lean.

Diab0lic
01-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Lier!!! New Zealand beef is waaaay better :D

BUMP

New Zealand has the best beef, lamb and dairy IN THE WORLD. ;)

Diab0lic
01-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Any more opinions on cooking steak?

Neil_I
01-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Any more opinions on cooking steak?

Yes, use ABERDEEN ANGUS! ;)