PDA

View Full Version : Theist argument against atheism - How can you trust thought?

Super human
07-26-2007, 05:56 PM
What do you guys think about this rebuttal?

"Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpouse of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen for certain physical or chemical reasons to arrange themselves in a certain way, that gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But if it is so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way the splash arranges will give you a map of London. But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I can't believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God." -- The Case For Christianity" - C.S. Lewis.

devire1
07-26-2007, 06:03 PM
no disrespect or anything, but that was one of the dumbest things i ever read.

SurfOnSilver
07-26-2007, 06:21 PM
i _almost_ wet myself laughing when reading this...

Then I cried

timmy47
07-26-2007, 06:32 PM

"Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpouse of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen for certain physical or chemical reasons to arrange themselves in a certain way, that gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But if it is so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way the splash arranges will give you a map of London. But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I can't believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God." -- The Case For Christianity" - C.S. Lewis.

that is just pure rhetoric.

SurfOnSilver
07-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I actually feel quite sad that such an author could produce such nonsense...

Super human
07-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Keep it coming guys, very thoughtful :D

timmy47
07-26-2007, 07:20 PM
if you want to be technical, its a really stupid arguement because he says he cant trust his thoughts. but if he believes in god he can. but even that is just a thought. so how can he trust that too?

JJJJ4
07-26-2007, 07:36 PM
For the record, C.S Lewis was smarter than everyone on this forum.

Dreamscapes
07-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Perhaps. But, with nonsense like that posted above, one must wonder how much his dealer was making off of him.

buddhastalin
07-26-2007, 07:50 PM

i dunno, i'd have to say fitmanjack is smarter. (no homo)

ballsoftitanium
07-26-2007, 07:54 PM
For the record, C.S Lewis was smarter than everyone on this forum.He was a christian, he couldn't have been that smart. :D

Pnigro
07-26-2007, 07:59 PM

I trust my brain for thinking just as I trust my legs for walking.

That post was dumb.

Fidelis
07-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Apparently not.

Pnigro
07-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Without thoughts there would be no medicines or cures, no technology, no buildings, no 7 wonders, no music or any kind of art, etc.

How can we not trust thoughts?

flamingdragon
07-26-2007, 09:06 PM
I seriously hope C S Lewis was joking around here, because he really was a brilliant man.

UltimateNYC
07-26-2007, 09:13 PM
no disrespect or anything, but that was one of the dumbest things i ever read.

QFE