PDA

View Full Version : Question about egg whites..........

Johnny box
01-01-2005, 09:50 AM
I usually buy the egg whites that come in the carton to save time(i hate having to break the shell and separate them), anyways my question is : does the egg white , if pasterized , safe to drink raw and does it contain all the essential amino acid that make it a complete protein??? i heard that its not complete without the yolk? if thats true then why is everyone eatin egg whites ( useless if not a complete protein),
If anyone could help me out that would be excellent.

zia
01-01-2005, 10:05 AM
most people dont eat egg white because it contains cholestrol but yah it contains more protein than egg white but egg white is fast digestive then egg yolk...

xxghostxx
01-01-2005, 10:22 AM
I usually buy the egg whites that come in the carton to save time(i hate having to break the shell and separate them), anyways my question is : does the egg white , if pasterized , safe to drink raw and does it contain all the essential amino acid that make it a complete protein??? i heard that its not complete without the yolk? if thats true then why is everyone eatin egg whites ( useless if not a complete protein),
If anyone could help me out that would be excellent.

Egg whites do contain all essential aminos, although, to a lesser degree than a whole egg, which would be the reason why whole eggs have a higher BV than egg whites alone. One reason a lot of us are tossing yolks, although not ALL the yolks, just some.... is that when keeping yolks, you start to add up saturated fat content pretty quickly. I'm not certain on this, but I still think you must cook even pasteurized eggs to denature the protein content and make it more bioavailable to the body. The pasteurization techniques are pretty low heat and somewhat quick, so cooking it is still probably needed.

uhockey
01-01-2005, 10:27 AM
most people dont eat egg white because it contains cholestrol but yah it contains more protein than egg white but egg white is fast digestive then egg yolk...

WTF? Egg Whites contain very little cholesterol. Egg Yolks and Whites contain almost the exact same amount of protein. Please research your facts. The white is simply faster digesting because it lacks fat.

zia
01-01-2005, 01:06 PM
wat was the wrong thing about my post???

xxghostxx
01-01-2005, 01:11 PM
wat was the wrong thing about my post???

You accidentaly typed white in place of where you meant to type yolks...

most people dont eat egg white because it contains cholestrol

A.FreeRadical
01-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Egg whites do contain all essential aminos, although, to a lesser degree than a whole egg, which would be the reason why whole eggs have a higher BV than egg whites alone. One reason a lot of us are tossing yolks, although not ALL the yolks, just some.... is that when keeping yolks, you start to add up saturated fat content pretty quickly. I'm not certain on this, but I still think you must cook even pasteurized eggs to denature the protein content and make it more bioavailable to the body. The pasteurization techniques are pretty low heat and somewhat quick, so cooking it is still probably needed.

Saturated fats are the reason I don't like to eat a lot of yolks. (Also, this is where most all of the calories are.) I think you are right about cooking the eggs to make the protein usable. Pasteurization means it safe to eat raw, but that doesn't mean it will be as good for you as it would if cooked.

aA.FreeRadical a

BiggJohn
01-01-2005, 01:18 PM
I've seen differing options on the denaturing of egg white protein, some stay it can happen in the stomach. Advin in the yolk plays a role also in other things I've read.

I believe you are missing biotin if you are only eating egg whites, but if you combine your egg whites in a meal with oats or other foods containing biotin, you will be OK.

Where do you buy your egg whites? I found a couple places online like egg whites international, but they are pretty expensive.

Sixpack
01-01-2005, 02:04 PM
I just buy the liquid egg whites called "Just whites in the grocery store", they are great cause they are pasterized already so u can just add them to your shake etc. Very handy, more spendy but worth it IMO

I've seen differing options on the denaturing of egg white protein, some stay it can happen in the stomach. Advin in the yolk plays a role also in other things I've read.

I believe you are missing biotin if you are only eating egg whites, but if you combine your egg whites in a meal with oats or other foods containing biotin, you will be OK.

Where do you buy your egg whites? I found a couple places online like egg whites international, but they are pretty expensive.

BiggJohn
01-01-2005, 02:38 PM
I just buy the liquid egg whites called "Just whites in the grocery store", they are great cause they are pasterized already so u can just add them to your shake etc. Very handy, more spendy but worth it IMO

Do you notice the taste of them in your shake? What is in the shake (i.e. ON's 100% whey?)

Sixpack
01-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Na bro I don't taste it at all my shake is a protein blend of milk protein isolate and whey isolate, I use it for during the day for slower digesting protein. I get it from a customizing site 75%MPI 25%WPI

Do you notice the taste of them in your shake? What is in the shake (i.e. ON's 100% whey?)