PDA

View Full Version : Diary Of A Fat Man

JimScott82
07-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I didn't really know where to post this. I know that there is a workout journal section, but this is no workout journal. I know that there is contest prep, but this is no contest prep journal either. This is a fat loss journal. This is a fat man trying to take the fat out of the man journal. Then I found the losing fat logs journal. Let the games begin.

THE REASON

For the last three years I have been telling myself that I want to get back into the shape I was in when I was 20 years old. Sound familiar to anyone? Yea, I read those articles to. Those "look at me now" articles that usually have some sort of advertisement selling latest and greatest supplements with some skinny guy holding up the big pants. Well, I have the big pants, but I don't have the advertisement.

John F. Kennedy said, "The Chinese symbol for Crisis is the symbol for Danger combined with the symbol for Opportunity." My motivation for loosing the fat is based off of that saying. I am no longer going to sit on the couch and remember what it use to be like to run three miles in twenty minutes, but not do it because of my excuse of being fat. I am going to look at this as an opportunity to get better at what I had done before, because strife builds endurance and this is a marathon folks.

THE FACTS

Within the last couple years my weight has fluctuated. When I was 17 in high school I was 195lbs on the dot. I joined the Marine Corps and came out of boot camp three months later at a staggering 155lbs. I looked like a twig. As I began to workout and run more I got up to 175lbs and hovered there for a while. Eventually I was up to 185 at 13% b.f. I felt good. I was deployed to Iraq in January of 2003 and came back in late September weighing 170lbs. Within a year (when I got out of the Marine Corps) I was up to 200lbs, but this time I was 20% b.f. I allowed my fat to get out of hand at this point. When I got out I had to find a job to support my family and in the interim found myself now at a staggering 250lbs at 30% b.f. I totally lost focus on my body and on health in general.

THE HARD TRUTH

Food is good, and the fattier the better. There is nothing like scrambled eggs, fried hash browns, bacon, toast with jelly, and a tall glass of milk in the morning. Starbucks is like fuel for my body and there is no other size then Ventti (largest)! Lunch, hell, make it super sized, it's only 25 cents more. Dinner, yea meatloaf, mash potatoes and gravy sounds great honey. Oh, the gravy is from the meat fat with some white flower? MMMM, add salt will you?

"When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable." (Madeleine L'Engle) Food is my vulnerability. While in the Marine Corps I studied to be a personal trainer with NASM. I mean I really studied. I love how the body works, I just refused to learn about the nutrition aspect. I guess it was really just my way of not accepting the truth. Now I recognize that I am vulnerable and I need help.

WHAT THE HELL I AM DOING ABOUT THIS

The war has begun, but there are many battles ahead. My goal is to loose the weight I need to in order to get down to 10% b.f. That is it. I have no "weight" I want to weigh. I have no "six pack abs" fetish. I just want to get down to 10%.

I have taken on a nutritionist to help me with my eating plan and cardio routine. Dr. Clay (www.drclay.com) has experience in this area and is going to help me obtain my goal of 10% b.f. I refuse to not let myself learn about the nutrition aspect anymore, and hopefully when all of this is said and done I will be a better person for it. Better then I was before, because with danger comes opportunity, and I am not letting this opportunity pass.

YOU AND ME

If you have a lot of experience in this area I would appreciate any help. I do learn from people, just be advised, I ask a LOT of questions.

If you don't have a lot of experience in this area I hope that my progress will allow you to see how it can be done.

If you are one of those closet fat loss forum watchers, but have not yet gotten up to loose the fat yourself, I hope that this will be a reminder to you that it can happen, you just have to start.

THE END

I want to end with a quote from Samuel Johnson, ?Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance.?

Time to get to work.

Hotmoltenlava
07-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Congrats on taking the next step. What's your game plan?

Post daily and you will see results.

Good luck.

JimScott82
07-23-2007, 01:32 PM
At this point I am on standby as Dr. Clay works on the nutrition and cardio portion. I expect to have it this week, so will post in more detail then.

In other news I want to update mybodyspace page and try to fill in all the gaps I have left. I don't know about the lifts right now because I wont be doing any actual weight lifting until I drop some weight. I am focusing mainly on the cardio and nutrition. When my cardio increases and my weight drops I will start on the weight lifting again. I had a lot of injuries in my past so I don't want to mess them up again. I will start the weight lifting after I have dropped to 20% b.f.

Hotmoltenlava
07-23-2007, 02:11 PM
At this point I am on standby as Dr. Clay works on the nutrition and cardio portion. I expect to have it this week, so will post in more detail then.

In other news I want to update mybodyspace page and try to fill in all the gaps I have left. I don't know about the lifts right now because I wont be doing any actual weight lifting until I drop some weight. I am focusing mainly on the cardio and nutrition. When my cardio increases and my weight drops I will start on the weight lifting again. I had a lot of injuries in my past so I don't want to mess them up again. I will start the weight lifting after I have dropped to 20% b.f.

Sounds good. You will do what you will do, but I would recommend lifing weights to lose fat. The holy trinity of success that most speak of hear is weights, cardio and nutrition. Read the stickies in the Losing Fat Section. If you have injuries, just stay away from those exercises that could give them problems. Don't know your history, so can't speak specifically, but I would recommend weights to lose fat. Cardio and nutrition is a good start, though.

Good luck.

JimScott82
07-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Well, I am going to be working out, but not with weights. I plan to keep my strength up by first working on my core strength. Pilates, cardio, and tons of stretching are going to be involved with my workout plan for the next three months. In three months I hope to have dropped 16-20lbs of fat. After that point I should have also allowed some of my muscle elasticity imbalances to correct themselves (tight hamstrings, calves, and middle back). At that point I feel I will be ready to start working out again. After the three months I will be working with Dr. Clay some more with a good program for weight lifting, cardio, and nutrition (the ?trinity? as you say).

JimScott82
07-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Alright, now I am cooking. Literally! I never knew how much "clean" food someone can eat and not even get close to the calories of the same amount of "dirty" food.

One of the foods I am eating in the morning is an Omega 3 Egg. My first impression was, what sort of fish chicken experiment did that egg come from? I mean seriously, that would be one ugly animal! Hell, I might just let it hatch just to see what happens! What would the zoo pay for an Omega 3 Chicish... or maybe Ficken? Eh, sounds good either way.

Well, these eggs are the same as the other eggs we eat every day with this small difference. THEY ARE MORE EXPENSIVE! No, just kidding. Well, they are a little more expensive, but they contain a high level of Omega-3 (the polyunsaturated fatty acid). 350mg an egg! That beats sucking down a tablespoon full of flax seed or fish oil, YUCK! And it even tastes like chicken!

The cardio I am doing is riding the bike for 30 minutes. That is 30 minutes of good exercise, not to include the warm up and cool down. It will probably take about 45 min. to complete.

You know what I don't like about being fat on a bike? Besides the "being fat" part. It's that no one takes you seriously. You pedal as hard as you can, sweat pouring down your face, but you don't move a damn inch! Talk about the hamster in a wheel syndrome huh? Oh well, at least I have my cool water bottle and sweat towel.

The diet itself is pretty cool, I just never eat that much food ever. The difference is though is that it is way less calories then what I usually eat, especially in the fat section. I end up eating 6 times a day (0630-2200) and it really does sound manageable. In 10 days we re-evaluate the progress and see if I have any food preference. Wish me luck!

Omega 3 eggs? Thats funny...

JimScott82
07-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Oh protein shakes, how do I love thee, let me count the ways.
.....(<-- me not counting the ways)

Man, protein shakes can get pretty nasty huh? I drank mine just now and I always get that aftertaste, that disturbs me. But for my 9 and 3 snacks I have one of those and about 12 almonds (which are good). I am thinking of adding Splenda to the protein shake. I use to add milk to it, and that made it taste way better, but with water it is horrible. The texture, the smell, the aftertaste, yuck! It's all good though. Whatever gets my metabolism working.

I feel good though. It is funny, whenever I use to eat I would just eat until I was full, and then sometimes I wouldn't even want to eat dinner or breakfast because I was so full. Not with this meal plan! From what Dr. Clay says it is to get my metabolism going because my eating habits in the past has caused it to slow down. I eat, and feel satisfied. But then about 30 min. before my next meal I am like, "Dude, wheres my food?" Its like clockwork. But I get to eat real good food, food that tastes good, not just food that is all gritty and whatnot. So I am having fun with it. I am just eating so much it is like another job!

I am going to weigh myself and post new measurements on mybodyspace and this page on August 6th, the day my Brother goes to boot camp (USMC). One of my goals is to be able to go on a run or two with him when he gets back three months later. I hope to have lost about 20lbs by that point, which should hypothetically put me at about 230lbs.

I myself am off to Reno tomorrow for a four day thing for work. It is going to be hard to stay on the schedule, but I am trying to plan ahead. I have a fridge and freezer in the hotel room so I am going to back a cooler of food/fruit/protein shakes. I just hope it all goes well. Wish me luck!

NoGloryInDefeat
07-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey JimScott82, new to the whole eating healthy thing myself here too. Noticed your complaint about the protein shakes and trust me I've tried my share of nasty ones too. One i've found to be too damn tasty for its own good is the BSN Syntha-6 Mochachino, since you mentioned you like Starbucks this might be right up your alley.

JimScott82
07-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Yea, that does look pretty good. I am only concerned with the 6 grams of fat per serving. I would need four servings a day for my protein intake and that would give me an extra 216 calories a day. But, if it tastes better it might not be that bad I guess. Thanks for the info!

JimScott82
08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Well, it has been 10 days since I started with my meal program and I am down five pounds. No way is it water weight since I drink just about two gallons of water a day. Anyway, that is five pounds when I checked myself last night. I am going to get my measurments done today and will post them.

I feel bad though because I have not been getting the cardio in that I should. I want to, but time... there is not enough time in the day! I need to make it a priority though because that will help me loose the weight I want. I know it's important, but I just get so busy and then tired I just forget about it.

Other than that, life is goooood.

Hardy1111
08-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Nice job on the 5lbs!

You know the drill....work hard...watch the food...you'll get there.

Hotmoltenlava
08-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Keep it up!

TheKansan
08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I had to try several different brands/flavors of protein powder before I found one that tastes excellent. Not all protein powder tastes bad. Also some mix much smoother in your blender than others.

Good job so far.

JimScott82
08-10-2007, 09:05 PM
First off I want to say thanks to everyone for their support so far. I really appreciate it!

I am now down to 243lbs, which is 7lbs down from when I started about 13 days ago. Here are my stats:

Height: 5'7.0" (1.70 m)
Waist: 42" (106.68 cm)
Weight:243 lb (110.5 kg)
Thighs: 27" (68.58 cm)
Bodyfat: 29.0 %
Calves: 18.5" (46.99 cm)
Chest:48.5" (123.19 cm)
Forearms: 13" (33.02 cm)
Arms: 16.5" (41.91 cm)
Shoulders: 52" (132.08 cm)
Hips: 45" (114.30 cm)
Neck: 17" (43.18 cm)

Everything went down which is always a good sign, except for my waist. I think that may be more of an error on my part.

I sent in the update to Dr. Clay today and he is updating my meal plan as we speak. I also made a promise to myself that since cardio probably wont happen in the morning, I am going to do it while I watch the Colbert Report and the John Stewart show at 8pm. This way I can get in a good 45 min session four days a week.

Did anyone else have trouble getting cardio in when they first started to drop weight?

I am not having much trouble with the meal plan except for the fact that I NEVER ate 6 times a day in my life! Granted they are smaller and leaner meals, but man, every three hours I am eating. People at work are like "I thought you were trying to loose weight?" Oh well, once I hit my goal it will all be worth it. I just have to make sure I stick more precise to the plan as far as when to eat.

Thanks again for your support everyone!

JimScott82
08-14-2007, 06:53 PM
My cardio has been on track so far. This is great! Now, about 10 min. before every meal I am hungry. Not starving or anything, but it is definitely time to eat. I can just feel my motabolism speeding up.

Here is the multivitamin that was suggested I take:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/le/twoperdaytablets.html

What do you think?

JimScott82
08-19-2007, 11:08 AM
The last couple of days I have been feeling real good. Usually, before I started, I would feel like my stomach was bloated and just always full. With the high fiber intake and the 6 small meals a day I have been feeling great. I just feel light and I wake up in the morning feeling as if I lost 50 lbs! Well, so far I haven't lost that much, but I am working on it! I get to weigh myself next week so I can't wait to see the results.

I also thought that this was going to be real hard and so far it hasn't. I mean, the only BIG issue I have had was finding time for cardio, but I found it in the evening time. The other smaller issue is not being "exact" on my times. Instead of eating at 0930 I would eat at like 0945 or something like that. Sometimes the time eludes me.

I feel good though. This next weigh in I am going to include a progress pic since it will have been an official four weeks. It will be cool to compare and see what the difference.

JimScott82
08-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Well, I am down another 5lbs from 10 days ago when I last weighed myself. I wanted to wait until Saturday to weigh myself but I am going to be leaving again for another week trip for work. Anyway, I am now at 238 (evening weight) and no way is the loss water weight related because I am drinking 2 gallons of water a day. I am peeing like a freakin race horse (what does that really mean?). Lots of my stats went down which is really good. My pants are baggy and I have officially went down a whole belt loop. Yep, now I have a used belt hole on my belt that has been used and abused for a long time now showing the world I lost weight. It is like a trophy for fat people really. I have to be honest though, I could really eat a sub sandwich right about now. It's all good though. I have three more belt loops to go before I have to get a new belt. That will be cool. Maybe I will hang it in my closet to remind me. I hope every one else is doing well and have fun this week. I will be in San Jose soaking up the smog. mmmmmmm, smog.... yum.

Jo110465
08-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Just read through your journal. Wow, man, you're really doing great. Sounds like you got off to an excellent start and are well on your way to where you wanna be. Good luck with your goals.

JimScott82
09-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Another three lbs gone! Thats right, so far I have lost a total of 15lbs with the help of Dr. Clay! I started this whole thing 48 days ago on July 30th so on average I have lost a little over two lbs a week since it started and I am very pleased with these results. It is time to amp up though. 45 min of cardio five times a week and I am going to add some anaerobic training to the mix utilizing plyometric exercises (pull-ups, dips, push ups, crunches) followed by some serious stretching two times a day. After I get use to this I will start adding weight training to my regiment.

Anyway, here are my current stats:

Height: 5'7.0" (1.70 m)
Weight: 235 lb (106.8 kg)
Body fat: 27.5 %
Hips: 43" (109.22 cm)
Waist: 40" (101.60 cm)
Thighs: 27" (68.58 cm)
Calves: 18" (45.72 cm)
Chest: 47" (119.38 cm)
Forearms: 13" (33.02 cm)
Arms: 16" (40.64 cm)
Shoulders: 53" (134.62 cm)
Neck: 17" (43.18 cm)

I didn't loose as much during the last period as I had hoped but no excuses. I just need to get my heart rate up higher and make sure I am burning those calories! In two weeks I hope to loose 5 lbs. That is 2.5 lbs a week and hopefully that will continue to be the norm with my weight loss from now until I hit my goal of 10%b.f.

Have a good two weeks!

Unique_weed
02-26-2009, 06:34 AM
I have went from a 32-34 waist to a 40-42. It took about 15 years to get here but I am still fighting. Being a U.S. Army veteran I do know how to work out but seeing post like yours always motivates me. Thanks for posting your thread.