PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Gray's nice and easy log

petergray
07-21-2007, 10:01 PM
So I decided to start a log here.

Some background

I graduated highschool at about 200lbs, by sophmore year in college I went up to 240lbs. I got tired of it and basically cut my diet to 1500 calories/day and did hours of cardio and whittled down to 170lbs. I was skinny fat but was content with it and maintained it for 4 1/2 years, then I got ill and was bed ridden/stuck at home for almost a year, where I ballooned to 213lbs.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/541017/progresspic/92801orig.jpg
Day 1

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com//img/user_images/541017/progresspic/92811orig.jpg
Week 4

March of this year I decided to do a keto diet and dropped 14lbs after 4 weeks. Started a new job and found it difficult to maintain, but I didn't eat horrible and continued to workout and stayed level at 200lbs.

I tried keto again this pass couple of weeks and dropped another 4lbs. But now I decided I pretty much hate it and now I'm switching to 40/40/20.

Stats

Height - 5'9"
Weight - 196lbs
Bodyfat - 20%
Waist - 35"

Goals

I do not have a specific weight goal only because I'm more concerned with bodyfat. I would like to get down anywhere between 8-10%. After calculations my lean body mass is about 157lbs with 39lbs of bodyfat. If I'm doing my math right, that means I would love to drop about 20ishlbs of bodyfat to get down to 10%. (assuming I maintain all my lbm)

I do not have a goal date because I do not want to rush myself. My only real goal is to be consistent with training and my diet, but not kill myself (or disappoint myself) with struggling to get to x by week y.

I have been doing a 100 day challenge, a mini challenge where I basically try to be consistent with training for the next 100 days. I'm on day 21 and have been on track 16 out of those 21 days.

Diet & Routine

I went through all the stickies. I'm not 100% on this so if anyone has any opinions on what I'm doing and can offer some guidance that would be great.

I plan to eat about 2400-2500 calories a day split into 6 small meals every few hours. The usual clean foods - brown rice, whole wheat breads, multi colored fresh veggies, lean meats, berries, nuts and water. Tomorrow is my first day, so I will be grocery shopping and post what I bought and will eat for the day.

I take a multivitamin and fish oils.

Only supplement I take is whey post workouts.

For workouts, I have been following the new rules of lifting routines the past couple months and it's been doing me well. So I'm going to continue with the full body routines in the book, post weights I do short cardio and on my non weight days I do long runs. Sundays are gonna be my no workout days and I plan to have a cheat meal each week.

So thanks in advance to anyone that will be reading and reviewing my progress. Wish me luck!

petergray
07-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Week 1 update

Weight - 194lbs (-2)

No problems this week. Didn't miss a single gym day. Didn't cheat at all.

Diet is consisting of ~2400 calories a day, spread out through 6 meals. All clean foods.

Usually what I'm eating is

bfast - oatmeal + protein powder + fresh blueberries and raspberries + raw almonds + flax. Water. Multi vitmain
lunch - salad with olive oil + dijon dressing. Open faced tuna salad sandwhich (whole wheat bread, baby spinach, tuna + mayo + raisins + raw chopped cashews + onions + celery + curry powder). Apple or another fruit
dinner - steamed brocolli, snowpeas, baby carrots. brown rice. marinated beef or chicken (usually a korean marinade. light soy + sesame oil + rice wine vinegar. garlic. chopped green onions and 1 smashed kiwi)
snacks - apples/string cheese/berries/nuts

drinks - water or japanese tea
PWO - ON whey shake (water, ice, protein powder)

Routine

I do mostly freeweights full body routines. HIIT post weights and LI long
runs (about 30-45 mins) on non weight days. I'm doing The New Rules of Lifting Fat Loss 1 routine currently.

Update 2 in a week!

petergray
08-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Week 2

Weight - 190lbs (-4lbs)
Chest - 38.5 (-1.5")
Waist - 33 (-1")

Body's looking leaner in the mirror. And one of my old coats fits now!

Didn't change much in terms of diet or usual routine. Cheat day I ate a chipotle burrito and some chips, was goooood. I tried to a new workout routine yesterday that felt really good

[Superset 1]
Squat 15x1/12x1/10x1
Seated cable row 15x1/12x1/10x1

[Superset 2]
Lat pulldown 15x1/12x1/10x1
Stationary Barbell Lunges 15x1/12x1/10x1

[Superset 3]
Pushups 15x3
Swiss Ball Crunch 20x3

petergray
08-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Week 2 pic

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/541017/progresspic/179652orig.jpg

Hard to tell in comparison to my week 4 pic above. I think it's cause I was raising my arm to take the picture, but my upper body is noticably slimmer. I can see definition starting in my chest when I'm not flexing and my arms are getting slimmer.

I noticed though when I gained this weight I stored a lot of it in my lower body, and surprise, that's the part that's losing the most. All my pants are baggier now.

Can't wait until I can fit into all my old suits! I still can't look at my starting pic, It looks like my stomach was stung by a bee.

Hotmoltenlava
08-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Nice progress. Keep it up.

Have a good one.

petergray
08-05-2007, 09:38 PM
thanks hotmoltenlava.
----------------------------
Update on routine:

I've been reading the "cut diet" threads and pdfs and I think I'm going to try it after this week. Hopefully it will get me the definition I'm going for. Right now my goal is to shoot for 165 lbs, 8% bodyfat.

After seeing the great progress of Amino89 here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3978453

I thought I'd give it a try. Though I'm going through the "lifestyle cut diet" pdf right now to see which one is best for me.

petergray
08-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Starting the Cut diet today. I just picked up a digital food scale from Bed Bath and Beyond and I'm about to head to the grocery store to stock up for the week. Gonna grill a batch of chicken breasts and ziplock them to make it easy for me.

petergray
08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Yesterday I had some pizza as a farewell for the next 17 or so weeks of cutting I will be doing. It was good, but the feeling I have this morning makes you realize, man, it's not worth it lol. And man did it bloat me (+9lbs!)

Anyways, I did the monday weight exercise as described in the Cut Diet book

It consisted of

Incline bench 15 x 3
Flat bench 15 x 3
Dumbbell flys 15 x 3
Pushups - until failure (I ended up only being able to do 4)
Crunches (I did swiss ball crunches) 30 secs x 3
Reverse crunch 30 secs x 3

Seriously it was probably one of the best workouts I've had in a long time. I ended it with a 20 min low impact cardio session on an elliptical like machine.

I'm definetly looking foward to todays session.

Also, I started the diet portion of the program and I'm feeling a little lethargic and a bit hungry, but like any new program I know this is expected at least for the first few days while my body adjusts.

Updates in a week

petergray
08-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Update -

Weight - 193lbs (+3)
Chest - 38" (-.5)
Waist - 34" (-1")
Hips - 36" (-2")

This past week has been kinda crazy. Went on a full day date Sunday where I had a huge plate at red lobster (and a ton of the free biscuits), then went to a mexican bbq afterwards where I had a bunch of tacos. Yesterday I hung out with friends and ended up getting cajun food (fried chicken, thick gravy sides and corn bread). Last night I also had some chips and a brownie.

So I am indeed on a bit of a carb bloat, however the measurement shows I'm still on point because I made sure I was still eating pretty clean about 85% of the rest of the time, and i also didn't miss a workout.

I do however have an event coming up in about 3 weeks, so I'm going to shoot to keep it extremely clean. Probably 1 cheat meal a week making sure its still in my macros.

As for my workout, I don't feel the "cut diet" is for me. The training feels a bit overkill, so I'm going back to a solid full body, 3x a week compound lift routine with LI cardio.

update soon

petergray
11-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Long time no post...

It's been almost 3 months since my last post, but since then I've dropped 18lbs to 175lbs. I haven't checked my bodyfat levels yet.

My goal by the end of the year is to hit 165 and drop a few more body fat % and tighten up.

If anyone is wondering what I've been doing the past few months, nothing rocket science. I've actually been eating out a lot, hanging with friends, snacking..but everything in moderation with a goal of 80% clean foods. Never missed a gym day, full body circuit routines + cardio.

Update soon with some pics.