PDA

View Full Version : Sources of high GI carbs for PWO (not dextrose)

Mvin
07-21-2007, 08:25 AM
so I can't get dextrose here. Nor can I find gatorade.

What are the other options I have for very high GI carbs to create an insulin spike? (I'll be keeping low GI all day so that this will be significant).

Can anyone list extremely high GI foods that work almost as good as dextrose?

Frank784
07-21-2007, 08:30 AM
After looking for my first cheat in a while, I grabbed an old bag of chex mix. Its honey crunch flavored. Tastes amazing. After eating too much, not feeling well, and swearing it off, I thought about using it to replace my dextrose PWO. Its loaded with sugar, has pretzels, and a honey bread stick. I currently use Oats with Dextrose(until It runs out). I know Sibrek uses any sugary cereal. You could get maltodextrin as well. I can't get Dextrose around here, so I had to order it online. When My dextrose runs out though, I think I'll opt for mostly oats PWO .

LiL USMC BBer
07-21-2007, 08:31 AM
You can get dextrose on BB.com.

A good product called "endurox R4" has dextrose in it.

To be honest the whole insulin spike is over-rated. And is definitly not something that is wanted for those that are prone to fat gain. I'm mainly referring to endo's here.

But if you are into that.

Maltodextrin is very similar to dextrose. I THINK. someone correct me if I'm wrong. White potato, white bread things like that are food items that are high GI.

glycemicindex.com

Mvin
07-21-2007, 08:42 AM
can't get maltodextrine either...
I'm having tough times finding something with a high GI for my PWO shake.

skinnyboipgh
07-21-2007, 08:52 AM
honey of course, rice noodles r hi GI too, also hominy grits & any kind of sugary trail mix or cereal, as already mentioned.

in10city
07-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Some fruit options... Raisins and candy like Jelly Belly jelly beans can do the trick too ...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_7_22/ai_n6170379

PICKIN' FRUIT
Use the charts below to help you pick the best fruit for the job. If
you're worried about fructose spilling over to fat, try a citrate
supplement along with your fruit choice, such as creatine citrate or
calcium citrate. It helps direct fructose toward glycogen production and
away from fat.

PREWORKOUT
These fruits provide higher fructose than glucose for sustained fuel
that won't block fat burning. Eat one or two servings.

FRUIT TOTAL SUGARS* FRUCTOSE* GLUCOSE*

Pear (1 medium) 16 11 5
Watermelon (1 wedge) 18 12 6
Apple (1 medium) 14 9 5
Cantaloupe (1/2 melon) 22 12 10
Grapes (1 cup) 24 13 11
Strawberries (2 cups) 14 8 6
Raspberries (2 cups) 10 6 4

MORNING
These fruits provide equal or nearly equal fructose and glucose to
restock liver and muscle glycogen to help halt muscle breakdown. Eat two
or three servings.

Pineapple (1 cup diced) 13 7 6
Honeydew melon (1 wedge) 13 7 6
Orange (1 medium) 12 6 6
Banana (1 medium) 18 9 9
Blueberries (1 cup) 14 7 7
Nectarine (1 medium) 10 5 5
Kiwi fruit (2 medium) 12 6 6

POSTWORKOUT
These fruits provide more glucose than fructose for restocking muscle
glycogen and enhancing muscle growth. (The last five fruits from the
morning fruit category are also decent choices postworkout, for their
ability to fill glycogen stores.) Eat one or two servings along with
white bread, baked potatoes or a carb drink.

Cherries (1 cup) 14 6 8
Peach (1 medium) 8 3 5

lespaulsarecool
07-21-2007, 09:19 AM
coleman used to have a can of coke!

in10city
07-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Cutler.

xl Achilles lx
07-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Why not white breads/pasta? A buddy of mine has a cinnamon-raisin bagel w/ jam, a glass of cranberry juice, and his whey in water for PWO and he's a monster.

Aindreas
07-21-2007, 09:24 AM

...with a side of roids.

I use honey, which is mostly a medium-gi simple carb, although about 30% of it consists of complex carbs like malitol. Honestly, I have yet to hear anyone flawlessly defend their post-workout carb of choice, and I think that as long as you're getting some kind of carb, you're probably ok.

JimScott82
07-21-2007, 09:41 AM
You can get dextrose on BB.com.

Maltodextrin is very similar to dextrose. I THINK. someone correct me if I'm wrong. White potato, white bread things like that are food items that are high GI.

You can get dextrose on bbing.com ( http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/dex.html ) .

White potato: GI GL
Potato, white, cooked (Romania) 41 8
Potato, white, boiled (Canada) 54 10.5

White bread:
White bread, wheat flour 71 9.5

Honey:
Honey, unspecified type (Canada) 87 17.9

Coke:
Coca Cola?, soda 63 17.1

Highest I could find:
GatorLode?, orange (USA) 100 -
Glucose (50 g test portion) 100 9.9

I hope this helps, good luck!

(found at http://www.glycemicindex.com)

LiL USMC BBer
07-21-2007, 10:31 AM
why did you quote my "you can get it on bb.com" and then tell me you can get it on bb.com? :p

lespaulsarecool
07-21-2007, 10:36 AM
was it cutler? damn, sure it was coleman, well Im not sure but Iv watched to many old vids over the years!

The Solution
07-21-2007, 10:52 AM
http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/now-dextrose.htm

there u go 15 lbs of dextrose for 20 bucks.. cheap and easy and simple go for it..

if u want some good simple carbs how about instant oatmeal in the packets.. buy ur favorite flavor and take it down.. or mix it in ur shake with whey and water/milk

in10city
07-21-2007, 12:25 PM
was it cutler? damn, sure it was coleman, well Im not sure but Iv watched to many old vids over the years!
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_8_21/ai_107929040
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_6_22/ai_n6111860
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jay02.htm

(note that this is from 2003)
"I'm really rigorous with my diet," Jay Cutler says. "I view all foods that I put into my body as serving a need for bodybuilding." Whether it's protein, carbs, healthy fats, micronutrients, fiber or fluids, Jay has his daily nutrition down to a science. That's why you may be surprised by what he consumes right after a workout.

"Right after I finish my workout, I take in about eight ounces of Coke with three scoops of vanilla whey protein in a large bowl. I add crushed ice and I eat it like soup with a spoon. Postworkout is the ideal time for simple carbs and protein."

A bodybuilder consuming soft drinks? Isn't Jay worried about the fructose (corn syrup) contained in the Coke? Fructose is known to convert more directly to bodyfat than other types of simple carbs such as glucose and dextrose. "No. I don't worry about the fructose. Eight ounces of Coke contains only about 25 grams of carbs. At my size, that few carbs gets used in the uptake to help replenish muscle and liver glycogen after a workout."

Jay is adamant that he doesn't cheat at other times of day, so this small amount of Coke is not only a reward for a training job well done, but also a benefit for reloading his muscles for the next workout.

Howard 6
07-21-2007, 12:36 PM
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_8_21/ai_107929040
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_6_22/ai_n6111860
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jay02.htm

(note that this is from 2003)
"I'm really rigorous with my diet," Jay Cutler says. "I view all foods that I put into my body as serving a need for bodybuilding." Whether it's protein, carbs, healthy fats, micronutrients, fiber or fluids, Jay has his daily nutrition down to a science. That's why you may be surprised by what he consumes right after a workout.

"Right after I finish my workout, I take in about eight ounces of Coke with three scoops of vanilla whey protein in a large bowl. I add crushed ice and I eat it like soup with a spoon. Postworkout is the ideal time for simple carbs and protein."

A bodybuilder consuming soft drinks? Isn't Jay worried about the fructose (corn syrup) contained in the Coke? Fructose is known to convert more directly to bodyfat than other types of simple carbs such as glucose and dextrose. "No. I don't worry about the fructose. Eight ounces of Coke contains only about 25 grams of carbs. At my size, that few carbs gets used in the uptake to help replenish muscle and liver glycogen after a workout."

Jay is adamant that he doesn't cheat at other times of day, so this small amount of Coke is not only a reward for a training job well done, but also a benefit for reloading his muscles for the next workout.
SWEEEETTT!!!!!!! Going out right now to get a 12 pack of root beer!!!

Aindreas
07-21-2007, 01:05 PM
SWEEEETTT!!!!!!! Going out right now to get a 12 pack of root beer!!!

And if you pick up some roids as well, you might get the same benefits as Jay Cutler!!

The Solution
07-21-2007, 01:08 PM
And if you pick up some roids as well, you might get the same benefits as Jay Cutler!!

x2 that

LiL USMC BBer
07-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Jay Cutler is natural

Aindreas
07-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Jay Cutler is natural

There's no f*cking way. I know that's easy to say for a 132 lb kid, but I don't believe that for a second.

LiL USMC BBer
07-21-2007, 02:01 PM
There's no f*cking way. I know that's easy to say for a 132 lb kid, but I don't believe that for a second.

What's not to beleive about it?

THe guy that worked at GNC told me he used celltech/nitrotech.

Aindreas
07-21-2007, 02:06 PM
What's not to beleive about it?

THe guy that worked at GNC told me he used celltech/nitrotech.

I don't doubt that he uses celltech/nitrotech, but I also doubt they sell steroids at GNC, and I'm wondering what the credentials of this guy who worked there are.

I was under the impression that just about every IFBB pro is on steroids. Maybe some of them have crazy enough genetics that they don't need them, but everyone in the IFBB looks way too freakish to be natural to me. I mean, there's big, there's f*cking huge, and then there's freakish. Jay and especially Ronnie fall into the freakish category.

I haven't seen anyone in a natural contest that looks like that.

LiL USMC BBer
07-21-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the guy that worked at GNC had a degree in nutrition. Some college guy here.

Anyway all IFBB pro's are natural they just have good genetics.

ROnnie coleman uses NO-Xplode!

Aindreas
07-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the guy that worked at GNC had a degree in nutrition. Some college guy here.

Anyway all IFBB pro's are natural they just have good genetics.

ROnnie coleman uses NO-Xplode!

The fact that the guy has a degree in nutrition doesn't mean he knows what Jay Cutler does. If all IFBB's are natural, why are the physiques now so much crazier than they used to be? Is it really our increase in knowledge of training and supplementation that's led to this, or could something else possibly be at work...?

I have my own ideas, and apparently you have yours, but I guess neither of us can really say for sure.

LiL USMC BBer
07-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm just kidding dude...I'm just making fun of GNC guys and alot of people. Ever walk into a GNC just to f*ck with the person?

I wanted to get someone worked up over it. You'll see.. someone will quote that post above and go off.

Aindreas
07-21-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm just kidding dude...I'm just making fun of GNC guys and alot of people. Ever walk into a GNC just to f*ck with the person?

I wanted to get someone worked up over it. You'll see.. someone will quote that post above and go off.

LOL, I was thinking there's no way you could be serious, but I didn't think it was worth getting worked up over.

I can't really f*ck with people in GNC because they assume I the stereotypical gullible skinny kid who they can nail for $100 worth of supps before I even start lifting. Never bought anything there, never will. But yeah, people don't exactly bow to you at GNC when you're in the 130s.

WantAbs75
07-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Why not use a PWO specific supplement like Biotests Surge?

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459244

abercrombie3f
07-21-2007, 05:36 PM
I've been working with fitness trainers and they suggested using rice cakes, cereal bagels, low fat ice cream sandwiches...

anything high GI and low fat will do the trick

Lately, I've been doing the new nature valley granola cereal and a lf ice cream sandwich.

DavidJr74
07-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Skittles :)