PDA

View Full Version : Secret to gaining lean mass

mjs78
12-12-2004, 02:17 PM
I actually just want a critique of my diet (clean bulk). Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Meal 1: 2 packets regular quaker oatmeal (40 grams carbs), 8oz skim milk, one scoop optimum whey, 1 banana, 1 tablespoon jif peanut butter

Meal 2: 1 whole wheat bagel, 1/2 pound meat (chicken, turkey or roast beef) 1 apple, 1 slice kraft fat free cheese

Meal 3: Mypolex Sport Bar (400 calories, 50 grams carbs, 30 protein, 10 fat)

Meal 4 (Post workout): Myoplex Sport MRP (500 calories, 80 carbs, 30 protein)

Meal 5: 2 cups brown rice, 2 cups vegetables, 1/2 pound grilled meat (fish, lean steak or chicken), 1 slice kraft fat free cheese

Meal 6: 2 scoops casein protein (50 grams), 1 tablespoon metamucil, 1 teaspoon of flax oil.

Is this good? I am 160 pounds, pretty fast metabolism, probably ecto-mesomorph (but more towards ectmorph). Should I upgrade to a tablespoon of flax in meal 6???

Zorro274
12-12-2004, 02:37 PM
instead of jif, buy some natural peanut butter

drop the whole wheat bagel in meal 2 and replace it with a different carb source....bagels arnt that great for you...opt for some 100% WW bread or ezekiel

also, a protein bar isnt ideal preworkout, but if you dont have time for anything else then do whatever works..... i suggest you add some oats or something, along with tuna, chicken, etc....Maybe even some milk, since its highly anticatabolic

furious420
12-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Drop the packaged oats in meal 1, switch to steel cut or old fashioned. Replace protein bar pre workout with whole food (protein source and carb source such as tuna+ oats).

mjs78
12-12-2004, 04:11 PM
I just use the quaker unflavored ones because they are prepackaged so i dont have to measure anything.

also, i am going to drop the whole wheat bagel for whole wheat bread.

is there any secret to getting natty pb to mix better?

oh and I forgot to mention i put the protein powder in the oats for meal 1 and then heat in micro. Is this denaturing the protein? (I put it in for like 2 minutes).

Luski16
12-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I just use the quaker unflavored ones because they are prepackaged so i dont have to measure anything.

oh and I forgot to mention i put the protein powder in the oats for meal 1 and then heat in micro. Is this denaturing the protein? (I put it in for like 2 minutes).
if its a CLEAN bulk you might wanna limit your fat free cheese as it is pretty processed. For the natty peanut butter, just turn the jar upside down for a few days and it will be fine, just stir it a little before using it. Just buy old fashioned oats in the big canister as they are better for you

younghova
12-12-2004, 07:50 PM
I think it's a solid diet. I'd add some more simple carbs at breakfast (ie juice). I like the bar at pre-workout, but myoplex sports bars are high in soy protein which can elevate estrogen levels. Try a whey protein bar or shake 45min-1hr before workout with some fruit. You also mentioned denaturing protein when you heat food. The protein gets denatured by your stomach acid anyway, so you shouldn't worry about it.

Luski16
12-13-2004, 03:30 AM
I think it's a solid diet. I'd add some more simple carbs at breakfast (ie juice). I like the bar at pre-workout, but myoplex sports bars are high in soy protein which can elevate estrogen levels. Try a whey protein bar or shake 45min-1hr before workout with some fruit. You also mentioned denaturing protein when you heat food. The protein gets denatured by your stomach acid anyway, so you shouldn't worry about it.
you do realize just about EVERYTHING you said is wrong right? dont listen to him. Never have juice for carbs at breakfast, have real fruit instead because it has many more vitamins and its not processed. Protein bars of any kind are not that great for pre-workout or any other time. Try to get a shake with protein and some complex carbs to help power you through your workout. Also DO NOT heat the way with your oats in the microwave. That can denature it. Instead, cook the oats first then take it out and mix in the way.

mjs78
12-13-2004, 09:05 AM
i have a banana with breakfast, apple later in the day, so I dont think I need the juice.

The whey doesnt mix well with the oats after they are cooked. Maybe i will just drink it seperate from the oats.

If you had to pick a nutritous bar, what would it be? I am kind of in a bind and cant get in a whole food meal, and I thought the myoplex sport bar was the best option because of the fiber and complex carbs.

xxghostxx
12-13-2004, 09:31 AM

Stir it with a knife a little bit first, then place upside down in the refrigerator for 1-2 days, then flip back over and it'll be good to go.

Kurz
12-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Nothing wrong with FF cheese.....I eat it all the time...you are BULKING bro, this is the time to f-ing EAT...........let yourself go a little........relax, rest hard and train harder........

Rippd
12-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Nothing wrong with FF cheese.....I eat it all the time...you are BULKING bro, this is the time to f-ing EAT...........let yourself go a little........relax, rest hard and train harder........

thats what I was thinking, the diet looks fine.

ASIAN NIGHTMARE
12-13-2004, 10:18 AM

I'd put the protein in AFTER you nuke the oats.

Try 1 cup whole wheat pasta (measure after cooking) + 1 can tuna and 1 tbsp Udo's Choice Oil for your pre w/o meal.

younghova
12-15-2004, 06:08 PM
you do realize just about EVERYTHING you said is wrong right? dont listen to him. Never have juice for carbs at breakfast, have real fruit instead because it has many more vitamins and its not processed. Protein bars of any kind are not that great for pre-workout or any other time. Try to get a shake with protein and some complex carbs to help power you through your workout. Also DO NOT heat the way with your oats in the microwave. That can denature it. Instead, cook the oats first then take it out and mix in the way.

First off it's whey, not way. You're telling this person not to heat whey protein because it will become denatured, wtf do you think happens when you digest it. It doesn't keep its folded structure. It becomes denatured and broken down into peptides and eventually free amino acids. What difference does it make whether it's denatured before or after ingestion. Can you provide us with an independent research study done on humans which proves that whey protein which has been denatured does not support muscle growth as well as whey protein in its globular (look it up son) state. Please give an example of a fruit which has MANY more vitamins than its juice does (fyi fiber is not a vitamin). First you say it's a good diet, then you say protein bars are not beneficial most of the time. What's up with that? This person is seeking advice, and you're sending him/her mixed messages. Why wouldn't a protein bar be good at anytime? I agree that a protein bar loaded with sugar and trans-fat should be avoided, but there are a lot of good bars out there that are fine for between meals and pre-workout.