PDA

View Full Version : cardio nutrition

dedicate
12-11-2004, 02:02 PM
What is the best type of post nutrition for a 45 minute medium intensity cardio session performed early in the evening. I am attempting to gain mass, but what to limit the fat gain. I was thinking about 45 grams of whey immediately after, and a small bowl of oats with a lean protein source about 90 minutes later. But would oats at around 7pm be a little to late in the evening for a complex carb?

taffer
12-11-2004, 02:08 PM
just throw it between 2 regular meals, preferably carb+protein meals

Sixpack
12-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Eat a regular meal 1.5 hours before hand, when u are done have another regular meal

dedicate
12-11-2004, 03:48 PM
thanks guys, anyone else have any suggestions?

Diab0lic
12-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Eat a regular meal 1.5 hours before hand, when u are done have another regular meal

Exactly what I do.

Zorro274
12-11-2004, 04:05 PM
But would oats at around 7pm be a little to late in the evening for a complex carb?

7pm is definately not too late for a bowl of oats.....Carbs only get stored as fat if you spill over your daily caloric limit...So unless your glycogen levels are already filled to the max, its not a problem......And since you said that your trying to gain mass, it will only be beneficial

In addition, since you have just completed a 45 min cardio session, your metabolism will be goin at an elevated rate.

Carbs are important for recovery, and you will always need them after a workout, regardless of the time.

mivi320
12-11-2004, 06:28 PM
7pm is definately not too late for a bowl of oats.....Carbs only get stored as fat if you spill over your daily caloric limit...So unless your glycogen levels are already filled to the max, its not a problem......And since you said that your trying to gain mass, it will only be beneficial

In addition, since you have just completed a 45 min cardio session, your metabolism will be goin at an elevated rate.

Carbs are important for recovery, and you will always need them after a workout, regardless of the time.

Good post, Zorro274. I'm tired of seeing people avoiding carbs at night, thinking that they will get magically stored as fat. Carbohydrates are indeed vital for recovery, and will do much more good than harm.

thumbmaster
12-11-2004, 07:48 PM
What is the best type of post nutrition for a 45 minute medium intensity cardio session performed early in the evening. I am attempting to gain mass, but what to limit the fat gain. I was thinking about 45 grams of whey immediately after, and a small bowl of oats with a lean protein source about 90 minutes later. But would oats at around 7pm be a little to late in the evening for a complex carb?

somethin like this.. If you know you're gonna be eating 30 grams of complex carbs at 7pm and you usually have 50g carbs at 1pm, have 20g at 1pm. Balance is key. Even out your carb limit for the day and you'll be golden.