PDA

View Full Version : Just started cutting, How does this look?

robd8870
12-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Just getting started. This is my first go. I am 6'2". 255lbs. I have been lifting for right under a year. I really need to cut. I am looking to do this diet for the next 4 months.

I originally planned to do a 40-40-20 split. But I have decided to up the protein and drop the carbs a bit. It is more like a 50-35-15 split. I am trying to get 2700 cals a day. Does that seem alright?

Here is what I had yesterday please critique it for me.....

Meal 1 10a.m...................336cal 25.5protein 29 carb 13fat.
2 egg whites, 2 wholes
half cup oats

Meal 2 12:15.............220cal 26 protein 10 carb 9 fat
1 cup no fat cottage cheese
2 tspn. flax oil

Meal 3 1:30 (pre workout)........260cals 24 protein 30 carbs 5 fat
scoop whey
half cup oats

Meal 4 2:45 (post workout)......185cals 21.5protein 17carb 4 protein
scoop whey
quarter cup oats

Meal 5 3:45...............289cals 47protein 16 carbs 2fats
1 chicken breast
half cup pinto beans

Meal 6 5:45...............336cals 25.5protein 29carbs 13fats
2 whites, 2whole eggs
half cup oats

Meal 7 6:50................150 cals 13protein 5carbs 9fats
half cup oats
2tspn. flax oil

Meal 8 8:30................390cals 53protein 32carbs 3fat
1 chicken breast
1 cup pinto beans

Meal 9 10:00.................290cals 20protein 32carb 3fat
2 tblspn. natty pb
1 atkins yougurt

Meal 10 11:00pm(bedtime)....220cals 20protein 10carb 9fat
1 cup cottage cheese
2 tspn flax oil

DAILY TOTAL
2667 calories
281g protein.....50%
188g carbs.......35%
84.5g fat..........15%

I lift 3 days a week. Monday chest/tri. weds. legs/shoulders Fri. back/bi....I just started HIIT Sprinting and jogging on tues, thurs, sat.(days off)

If you need anymore info let me know. Please give me your guys opinions. I would like to benefit from the experience of this board. Thanks guys!!

Luski16
12-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Just getting started. This is my first go. I am 6'2". 255lbs. I have been lifting for right under a year. I really need to cut. I am looking to do this diet for the next 4 months.

I originally planned to do a 40-40-20 split. But I have decided to up the protein and drop the carbs a bit. It is more like a 50-35-15 split. I am trying to get 2700 cals a day. Does that seem alright?

Here is what I had yesterday please critique it for me.....

Meal 1 10a.m...................336cal 25.5protein 29 carb 13fat.
2 egg whites, 2 wholes
half cup oats

Meal 2 12:15.............220cal 26 protein 10 carb 9 fat
1 cup no fat cottage cheese
2 tspn. flax oil

Meal 3 1:30 (pre workout)........260cals 24 protein 30 carbs 5 fat
scoop whey
half cup oats

Meal 4 2:45 (post workout)......185cals 21.5protein 17carb 4 protein
scoop whey
quarter cup oats

Meal 5 3:45...............289cals 47protein 16 carbs 2fats
1 chicken breast
half cup pinto beans

Meal 6 5:45...............336cals 25.5protein 29carbs 13fats
2 whites, 2whole eggs
half cup oats

Meal 7 6:50................150 cals 13protein 5carbs 9fats
half cup oats
2tspn. flax oil

Meal 8 8:30................390cals 53protein 32carbs 3fat
1 chicken breast
1 cup pinto beans

Meal 9 10:00.................290cals 20protein 32carb 3fat
2 tblspn. natty pb
1 atkins yougurt

Meal 10 11:00pm(bedtime)....220cals 20protein 10carb 9fat
1 cup cottage cheese
2 tspn flax oil

DAILY TOTAL
2667 calories
281g protein.....50%
188g carbs.......35%
84.5g fat..........15%

I lift 3 days a week. Monday chest/tri. weds. legs/shoulders Fri. back/bi....I just started HIIT Sprinting and jogging on tues, thurs, sat.(days off)

If you need anymore info let me know. Please give me your guys opinions. I would like to benefit from the experience of this board. Thanks guys!!
well your on the right track but you do need some fixing. I dont have time to tell you what to add and all for every meal, but ill nail the ones that stick out. You need more carbs post workout for sure. Id suggest at least 1 cup if thats your only carb source post workout. Or you could do 1/2 cup oats and a small banana. You need veggies man. I eat a ton bulking but cutting they are very important because they will give you a full feeling and they have many nutrients and vitamins. If you want. I'm bulking right now at about the calorie range your cutting at....im small i know! I also use a 40/40/20 split. My diet is in my sig. I also use a 3 day split which is also in there.

robd8870
12-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the response. I know I need to step up my greens. I have ate some but I didn't list them. I still didn't have many, about two small servings per day. Brussel sprouts, broccoli,and green beans are my main ones.

As far as post workout I was not sure about carbs because I am cutting. I used to eat oats and a cup of oj. But when cutting I was not sure how to go about it. If bananas are fine then that will work for me. What is the limit on carbs post workout while cutting??? I would like to do some berries as well because of low GI and they taste damn good. Strawberries or blueberries fine for post workout while cutting?

I will take a look at your diet, thanks!! I apreciate the response. You maybe small but you're moving UP I'm sure!! Good luck with your goals. Thanks for your assistance with mine.

vai876
12-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Sorry to tell you this man, but if you're getting 84g of fat a day, that's a lot more than 15%. It's actually almost 30%. Also, 281g of protein is really only 42% and 188g of carbs is only 28%. You're actually getting more calories from fat than from carbs. This is because it takes 9 calories to make up 1 gram of fat, whereas in protein and carbs it only takes 4 calories to make up 1 gram. If you want to know the total amount of fat calories you're getting take you're total for the day (84.5) and multiply it by 9. That would equal 760.5 calories from fat. Now to find the percentage that is of your total calories for the day you divide that number by your total cals for the day. So it would be 760.5/2667. And that equals just about 29%. You really need to cut back on the fat and add some more carbs. If you want to get your fat down to 15% and your carbs to 35% and your protein to 50% while still having 2667 calories per day, you'd need to be eating only 45g of fat, 233g of carbs, and 334g of protein. I'm glad I could tell you this before you were on it for a while, because you definitely wouldn't be cutting for very long.
Good Luck!!!!

robd8870
12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Man that really sucks!! I actually ate more fat because I thought I wasn't getting enough. That really is upsetting. Thanks for stopping me before I got to far. Damn it.

Thanks for the numbers as well.

robd8870
12-09-2004, 03:22 PM
well I just did the math for tody. I am at 25% fats for the day. I still have 1000 calories to work with for the rest of the day so I can make the ration considerable better.

alan aragon
12-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Sorry to tell you this man, but if you're getting 84g of fat a day, that's a lot more than 15%. It's actually almost 30%.there's nothing terribly wrong with a diet of 30% fat if it's predominantly unsaturated fat. i think that even the saturated fat scare is overblown. the macronutrient that has the most intimate link to tesosterone levels, arguably, is fat. you DON'T want to shortchange yourself in that department. remember that dietary fat is different from bodyfat; it has a number of different possible biochemical fates. my recommendation for a fat gram ballpark # to shoot for is your target bodyweight divided by 3. going strictly by ratios can end up making you over or undershoot absolute requirements.

that said, your plan looks good, with the exception of a lack of fruit (i'd start with 1 serving either pre or postworkout & gradually work up to 3-4 total per day if at all possible). fruit is one of those foods that bodybuilders avoid for the dumbest reasons -- but to no surprise, right? haha, just kidding i'm very often a dumb bodybuilder when it comes to matters outside the gym :D.. you also have a lack of calcium-containing foods. cottage cheese is a poor calcium source even though it's dairy. i understand the possibility of intolerance for milk & the economizing of calories, etc, so a calcium/magnesium/vitaminD supp is in order. 1000-1500mg Ca is sufficient, since you're probably getting 200mg from a multi & another 100-200mg incidental Ca from food. this is if you're not willing to do milk, cheese, or yogurt. btw, getting Ca from veggies is a crapshoot because the fiber/phytic acid therein antagonizes Ca absorption.

other than that, you might wanna place more carbs postW; perhaps bump those oats up to a cup.. the bottom line is that you just have to try the plan out & see how it works, & make sure you don't lose more than 1% of your total bodyweight per week. i have a personal preference for a slow 0.5-1.0lbs per week once the initial 1-2 week bloat drop is over. much more than that, & you're just dieting away your hard-earned beef. then adjust your plan according to your results. you already mentioned to me that you'll up your veggies, so i hope that gets done as well. shoot for a minimum of 3 cups per day of as wide a variety as possible.. good luck!

vai876
12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Alan Aragon, I understand that fat definitely has it's place in a diet and that 30% is perfectly acceptable for most people on a mass-building routine. I just wanted to point out to him that he was way over his target fat intake which was 15%. If he were bulking then I'd say his diet was pretty decent except for some of the things you pointed out, but I didn't want him to go on thinking that he was eating 15% fat when he was almost doubling that.

alan aragon
12-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Alan Aragon, I understand that fat definitely has it's place in a diet and that 30% is perfectly acceptable for most people on a mass-building routine. I just wanted to point out to him that he was way over his target fat intake which was 15%. If he were bulking then I'd say his diet was pretty decent except for some of the things you pointed out, but I didn't want him to go on thinking that he was eating 15% fat when he was almost doubling that.on the contrary. when you're going for hypocaloric balance, the necessary caloric restriction often necessitates a proportional rise in fat intake. not an absolute one, but a proportional one - by default of carbohydrate reduction & either raise or maintenance of protein intake. bulking protocols should actually be proportionally lower in fat, to make room for increased carb and/or protein. nevertheless, good catch in correcting his miscalculation.

guysanfrancisco
12-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Alan,

So is it true that if I reduce my carbs for a day a bit and consume little more fats, those additional fats will be used for energy EVEN WHEN I AM NOT IN KETOSIS?

My problem is that I am doing a CarbCycling diet and on my low carb days I somedays eat a lot of chicken from outside restaurents which has a lot of fat. So is that additional fat on my low carb days going to hurt? or will it be used for energy instead and hence i am fine?

alan aragon
12-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Alan,

So is it true that if I reduce my carbs for a day a bit and consume little more fats, those additional fats will be used for energy EVEN WHEN I AM NOT IN KETOSIS?

My problem is that I am doing a CarbCycling diet and on my low carb days I somedays eat a lot of chicken from outside restaurents which has a lot of fat. So is that additional fat on my low carb days going to hurt? or will it be used for energy instead and hence i am fine?classic name, frannie :D

yes, it's true, & i'm assuming a hypocaloric balance here. no, it shouldn't hurt you unless the calories from that extra fat contributes to an excess of cals you're not using. you just gotta pay attention & make sure you're not low-carbing but simultaneously over-eating. good luck with the carb cycling, i personally wouldn't take it to an extreme -- your workouts & energy will yo-yo & your gains will suffer.

robd8870
12-09-2004, 08:23 PM
thanks to alan & to all who responded. Interesting info on the fats.

I take a one a day and calcium supplement. I really wasn't sure about fruit while cutting because I had heard varying things. I would be happy to add it. I like milk as well. So I will have no problem with suggestions!

Thanks again to all!!