PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people do HIIT for so long?

PyroBurns
07-17-2007, 02:04 PM
I see some people on here do it for around 20-40 minutes.

While I can see burning all the calories, it seems that something of that length is like LI cardio.

I've always thought that you should either do a short amount of (around 15 mins?) HI cardio, OR a long amount of fasted LI cardio.

30 minutes of HIIT is a bit hard for me to grasp. Wouldn't that be extremely tedious?

nithos
07-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Plan and simple, not every one here that claims to do HIIT is actually doing HIIT. They call anything that involves intervals HIIT.

MUFC
07-17-2007, 02:15 PM
they lie.

Finnegan Bell
07-17-2007, 02:19 PM
they lie.

Or the OP lies,I've never seen anybody do HIIT for 40 minutes,link plz??

Vel
07-17-2007, 02:45 PM
I dunno maybe they can do HIIT for that long if theyre constantly fueled by simple carbs during the process, I've never tried tho. But I mean as an example I hit an energy wall just the other day doing sprints after my third uphill sprint. And I was being liberal in my det with carbs for the days previous, so stores are pretty quickly depleted, at least in my case.

gettinfit26
07-17-2007, 03:08 PM
The body for life plan has the 20 minute interval cadio which I agree most are confusing that for HIIT.

Can anybody clarify exactly what is HIIT???

GP2001
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Well, I do HIIT, or at least what I understand to be HIIT in 20 minute session. Why exactly can't HIIT last 20 minutes? I use the stairmaster, and do level 5 out of 20 for 45 seconds, then go to level 15 out of 20 for 1 minute and 15 seconds, to me, I understand that to be HIIT. If that isn't, than please explain to me what is.

Holdthescroll
07-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Steps to HIIT

1) warm up for a few minutes by jogging (or doing whatever machine your on at a very comfortable rate), maybe do some stretching
2) start jogging/walking for 40 seconds
3) sprint for 20 seconds; sprint as in you're running/pedaling/stair-stepping at a rate that makes you want to die
4) repeat steps 2&3 for at least 4-5 minutes, or till death

PyroBurns
07-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Uh oh. Now I don't know if I'm doing HIIT.

I just got done doing my session on the treadmill today and here's what I did:

4 minutes of warming up to 5mph
Then 16 minutes of about a minute "resting" at 3.5 mph, then 30 seconds sprinting at 10.5 mph.
Then I did about a 1 minute cool down.

The treadmill I used was kind of old, so I had to hit buttons all the time. Though I did make sure I got my 30 seconds of sprinting in. But one thing I do strange is instead of hitting the buttons to go back down to 3.5, I hit "STOP BELT". Then I turn it back on and quickly adjust it to 3.5. It only takes about 3 seconds that way.

I know it's dumb hitting those buttons all the time, but I have no choice until the owner fixes the programmable machines.

Is that HIIT?

BTW: I do feel pretty beat up from that, but nowhere near how beat up I used to feel when I started. I attribute that to better health.

Holdthescroll
07-17-2007, 03:21 PM
also note that I personally have NO idea how you could possibly pull of HIIT on a stair-stepper; it's hard enough doing it on a bike. if you've got good joints, be a man and sprint somewhere (not on asphalt though ...lol)

****the only machine that I've been able to do HIIT on is the stationary bike****

if that answers your question pyro.

just get some running shoes and go to a track/astro-turf football field somewhere, if that's possible

PyroBurns
07-17-2007, 03:32 PM
I find it hard to run though. On a treadmill, it's easier because you know you HAVE to run.

But when I run manually, I can never perform as good as on a treadmill. Besides, I'm really anal about numbers, and when it's just you and the track (and maybe a watch) there's no telling EXACTLY how you did.

King Koopa
07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
idk.....I usually do Elliptical resitence level on 13 of 20.........Warm up jog for 3 minutes and then for the next 12 mintues I do jog- all out sprint 20 or 30 sec each, I change it up, and then cool down....I am usually swamped with sweat and out of energy

Would this be better than running 2 miles outside in about 14-15 minutes or worse with regards to losing fat?

SFreppinitbig
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Is 10.5 MPH the fastest you can sprint? You need to go all out. HIIT is effective because of the metabolism shooting up. Spreint all out outside and then walk until you can do it again. Usually, since I'm not in total shape yet I sprint for 20 and walk for 35-40. It needs to be quick changes, treadmills usually take about 10 seconds to sppeed up/slow down.

vtwizzie
07-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Is that HIIT?

yeeep.

that's almost exactly like what i do :)

EDIT: except i usually jog during what you call "resting"... i feel like if i go all the way down to 3-3.5 i get lazy haha

PyroBurns
07-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Next time I'll try to go higher than 10.5

I knew I could go at least a bit faster, but I was trying to make sure I got all my intervals in.

gfundaro
07-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Steps to HIIT

1) warm up for a few minutes by jogging (or doing whatever machine your on at a very comfortable rate), maybe do some stretching
2) start jogging/walking for 40 seconds
3) sprint for 20 seconds; sprint as in you're running/pedaling/stair-stepping at a rate that makes you want to die
4) repeat steps 2&3 for at least 4-5 minutes, or till death

This is similar to TABATA, which I do after lifting. It's 20 seconds all-out painfully-fast whatever, and 10 seconds rest, for 4 minutes (or till death/barf). It sucks lol. Other than that I do intervals for about 30-40 minutes on the elliptical and rower, but I wouldn't call that HIIT, that's just moving with my music.

Holdthescroll
07-17-2007, 06:18 PM
the best part of doing hiit at the gym is overhearing all the overweight 35yr old mothers say to eachother, "what does he think he's doing?" while they're cruising on their ellipticals at 5mph reading People. They remind me of chubby little hamsters

HIIT- it's about the arrogance hahaha

MrSinister
07-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Plan and simple, not every one here that claims to do HIIT is actually doing HIIT. They call anything that involves intervals HIIT.

zactly...
real hiit doesn't/CANNOT last longer than 20 minutes, no matter how fit you are

dcarrera
07-17-2007, 06:37 PM
I do HIIT for about 10 minutes, then i just slowly jog for about 20 min

jkang
07-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I see some people on here do it for around 20-40 minutes.

While I can see burning all the calories, it seems that something of that length is like LI cardio.

I've always thought that you should either do a short amount of (around 15 mins?) HI cardio, OR a long amount of fasted LI cardio.

30 minutes of HIIT is a bit hard for me to grasp. Wouldn't that be extremely tedious?

depends on the level of fitness you are at, guess some people dont really get that tired at the highest lvl on the treadmill. I personally go for 30 min when im in shape.

jkang
07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
zactly...
real hiit doesn't/CANNOT last longer than 20 minutes, no matter how fit you are

I really doubt that.......some mma fighters I've seen do hiit is pretty impressive and longer than 20 min.

MrSinister
07-17-2007, 06:46 PM
I really doubt that.......some mma fighters I've seen do hiit is pretty impressive and longer than 20 min.

like i said, it doesnt matter how fit you are..
if you're doing hiit properly then its full intensity, so that would be relative to that individuals fitness abilities.. therefore no matter what level they're at, they are going to be finished by around that time, or it indicates they didnt go all out on the sprints

v4lu3s
07-17-2007, 06:56 PM
i judge HIIT by heart rate.
and i do the interval on an arctrainer for 25 minutes, with peaks of heart rate getting to the 155-170 bpm range.
That puts me well into the 80% or higher range, and often hitting as high as 92% of my max heart rate.

of course during that 25 minutes the first 3 minutes and last 3 minutes are warmup/down, so that leaves me 19 minutes of intervals, giving me at MOST 9 30 second sprints at high resistance.

All I know for sure is that I sweat like crazy, come out looking like I just showered, and while eating maintenance or higher I am steadily getting leaner and more vascular while my weight stays steady....

jkang
07-17-2007, 06:56 PM
like i said, it doesnt matter how fit you are..
if you're doing hiit properly then its full intensity, so that would be relative to that individuals fitness abilities.. therefore no matter what level they're at, they are going to be finished by around that time, or it indicates they didnt go all out on the sprints

who created the 20 min mark?????? or the 15 min mark???? Our bodies are all different and thats an estimation of when we will run out of glycogen and be fully exhausted.....its different for everyone like I stated earlier. I personally do the 1 min on and 2 min off. You "FEEL" like your going to die....but the body is truly resilient, remember your mentality goes before your body does.

MrSinister
07-17-2007, 07:06 PM
who created the 20 min mark?????? or the 15 min mark???? Our bodies are all different and thats an estimation of when we will run out of glycogen and be fully exhausted.....its different for everyone like I stated earlier. I personally do the 1 min on and 2 min off. You "FEEL" like your going to die....but the body is truly resilient, remember your mentality goes before your body does.
theres no minute mark, but somethings wrong if you can go longer than that time...
i do 1min 2 off myself and i dont consider that HIIT at all..

jkang
07-17-2007, 07:16 PM
theres no minute mark, but somethings wrong if you can go longer than that time...
i do 1min 2 off myself and i dont consider that HIIT at all..

Well its classified as HIIT. I know you can go longer than 20 min for a fact because many wrestling/special forces have training regimens like that but wayyyy longer than 20 min. You actually overtain with one session.....its more to make you mentally tough in the future....retarded yes.....but its true.

I know where your coming from when you talk about 15 to 20 min being the max...the average person can't even do 10 minutes. So when some ppl state that they go 30 min hell even 40 min....there's a possibility that they really do. I would really like to see 40 min tho myself....after 30 minutes I usually have a dry gagging or a water puking session.

RaferAlston26
07-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Well, for VO2 Max increases I do 30 seconds on and 2 minutes off. The 30 seconds is much higher in intensity compared to if I did a 1 minute/2 minute round. I do around 6-8 rounds. It depends how I feel but I'm generally gunning for around 20 minutes. If I feel like I'm dying, I'll have to push really hard for the last round. It's tough but I think if you're doing HIIT for 40 minutes, that's not really HIIT. That defeats the entire purpose of HIIT. There is no specific minute mark but 20 minutes is the general point. But either way, If you're doing HIIT for 40 minutes, how intense can that really be?

Vel
07-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Today I tried doing a sprint for 25 seconds, then a jog back to start, repeated 4 times, i took a 2 minute break, my throat was burning and i was just fatigued, then i did 3 sets of burpees...Hardest cardio I've done so far. Left me feeling the most fatigued, though I think thta may have been too intense and not long enough, probably need to pace it better.

PyroBurns
07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, I've definitely decided to up my sprint. Should I up my rest too? Or is it good at 3.5?

RaferAlston26
07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Rest? There is no resting. If you mean slowing down to a light jog or walk, then 3.5 minutes is too much. I personally keep it to 2 minutes if I'm doing 30 second sprints or I'll have it around 1 minute and 30 seconds if I'm doing 1 minute sprints.

bigguy29
07-17-2007, 09:35 PM
HIIT is so relative to the person. You should not be totally burned out and completely exhausted of energy at the end. That is overtraining. You should be very, very, very tired...but you should not feel like you're going to pass out because of the exercise(not dehydration or malnutrition).

For example: my first HIIT session was for 10 minutes. 1 min on and 1 off. I almost passed out because of the physical toll it put on my body...i had plenty of water in me. That is not good. After about 3 months of it I do 1 min on and 40 seconds off(slowly working my way down in rest time). I feel very tired afterward and I need to sit down because I'm out of breath and could barely finish the last sprint. That's how you should feel.

nithos
07-18-2007, 04:50 AM
That puts me well into the 80% or higher range, and often hitting as high as 92% of my max heart rate.
The goal for HIIT is typically over 95%.

I love the arctrainer, but it just isn't the same as good old fashioned sprinting.

EazyE15
07-18-2007, 04:57 AM
I do 40 mins cardio and average at 80% MHR. So i have the full benefit of the cardio itself and some HIIT benefit to. But because its not in the 90's i can do it for 40 mins.

vipergq
07-18-2007, 05:40 AM
most people are not really doing HIIT.

With that said though, mmy HIIT lasts about 20 minutes.

I do 30 second sprints followed by 30 second walks...I do this until I've gne 2 miles.

ScottC
07-18-2007, 05:51 AM
BINGO!!! Correct answer! You win a Cupie Doll! http://stir.org.au/stir/Assets/ContentImages/cupie-doll.jpg

Or the OP lies,I've never seen anybody do HIIT for 40 minutes,link plz??
I have seen people post that they were doing over 30 minutes of *cough* "HIIT" and were going to up their times to 45 minutes. :rolleyes:

2 D
07-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Would you guys consider this H.I.I.T?

Jogging on treadmill at 6 mph for 90 seconds, then sprinting for 20-30 seconds at 12-13 mph, rinse and repeat for 30 minutes straight.

I do that and it is incredibly tough. I'm usually beat afterwards.

Saturnal
07-18-2007, 06:21 AM
I do either 40 minutes steady state, high intensity (80-85% MHR), or 20 minutes HIIT (3-minute warm-up/cool-down, 7 work intervals). The 40 minutes high intensity blows the HIIT out of the water, but I do the HIIT simply because my lower back hurts sometimes when sitting on my bike for more than 25 minutes or so (I need a better bike).

EazyE15
07-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Would you guys consider this H.I.I.T?

Jogging on treadmill at 6 mph for 90 seconds, then sprinting for 20-30 seconds at 12-13 mph, rinse and repeat for 30 minutes straight.

I do that and it is incredibly tough. I'm usually beat afterwards.

Dont ask what other people think is HIIT, it is different for everyone.
If your HIIT plan gets your heart rate to the max, it doesnt mean the same plan will for another person.
As long as you have a way of recording your heart rate and it is in the high 90%, you are doing HIIT. Dont worry about it.

The Transporter
07-18-2007, 08:44 AM

That sounds like what I did this morning. I set the treadmill on variety so the elevation goes up and down and set the timer for 30 minutes. I jogged at 7 mph for five minutes to warm up and then paused and stretched for a minute or two. After that I did two minute intervals - 30 seconds of sprinting at 12 mph, 30 seconds of jogging at 9 mph, 45 seconds of jogging at 7mph, and then the machine took 15 seconds to get back up to 12 mph for another go of 30 seconds. Repeated this until I got to 30 minutes.

If it's not HIIT, oh well. It kicks my a** so that's all that matters. Oh, and the treadmill only goes to 12 mph so that's why I change the elevation.

After that I took a break for a few minutes and hopped on the elliptical that has the arm movement and did that for 30 minutes on level 4. I was a sweaty mess but felt great. Between the two, the calorie readings showed around 1300 calories burned. I know they aren't accurate but I use them to compare my workouts.

Tiffany_P
07-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Is there any benefit to interval training if it's not HIIT? I've been doing intervals, but it's not high intensity. It's more like 1 min at 6.0 mph and the next minute at 7.0. Am I better off with steady-state?

GoBlue34
07-18-2007, 09:10 AM
HIIT is so relative to the person.

Bingo, my HIIT is going to be much different than yours, etc. Do you think Michael Johnson's HIIT is the same as mine? He can run a tad faster than I...

Go balls to the wall for 30 seconds, rest, do it again. No one, not even Michael Johnson can do that for 40 minutes. At some point, you simply aren't going full throttle anymore so stop at that point.

nithos
07-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Is there any benefit to interval training if it's not HIIT? I've been doing intervals, but it's not high intensity. It's more like 1 min at 6.0 mph and the next minute at 7.0. Am I better off with steady-state?
Interval training is a great way to increase your cardiovascular endurance, if you use it correctly. Don't just use the 6/7 even split and call it good. Try to make the faster phase longer each time, until you can run the whole time at the faster pace. Then step it up even faster and switch back to intervals.

fkjr2
07-18-2007, 11:24 AM
simple answer to the OP - that person IS NOT doing it right - you should want to "throw up" after your done and it should NOT be more than 20-25 TOTAL mins long including warm up/cool down.

Its not about the time, its about the "intensity"

To get better at it, one needs to shorter the rest times between sprints, NOT to increase the total time of the exercise.

fleshmachine
07-18-2007, 11:30 AM
HIIT is basically interval training where during the 'sprint' portion, you are attaining 90-95% of your max heart rate, plain and simple.

The '220-age' isn't always the best indicator of max heart rate, but that's another topic.

Tiffany_P
07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Interval training is a great way to increase your cardiovascular endurance, if you use it correctly. Don't just use the 6/7 even split and call it good. Try to make the faster phase longer each time, until you can run the whole time at the faster pace. Then step it up even faster and switch back to intervals.

Thanks, that makes sense. I think I'll try to do some legitimate HIT once my knee heals a bit.

lespaulsarecool
07-18-2007, 03:26 PM
anything longer than around 23 mins people are either super fit OR not really doing HIIT, you should be exhausted