PDA

View Full Version : Milk Helps you Sleep?

burke
07-16-2007, 07:40 PM
I forget where I read it but I heard some where that milk can actully aid you in a good sleep, is this true?

Also would it be ok to have a glass of skim milk, with some PB, and a can of tuna before bed as long as it fits into my macros, (IE. still below my cals) or will this hinder my cutting?

Flex Appeal
07-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Yes

Yes, no it won't.

The Solution
07-16-2007, 07:45 PM
I forget where I read it but I heard some where that milk can actully aid you in a good sleep, is this true?

Also would it be ok to have a glass of skim milk, with some PB, and a can of tuna before bed as long as it fits into my macros, (IE. still below my cals) or will this hinder my cutting?

milk and peanut butter is great before bed.. nothing wrong with that.. if u need the extra protein a can of tuna is perfect.. great choices!!!

and im not too sure about milk aiding in sleep.. but go for it.. what source did u get it from? im gonna go goole for a bit and see if i can find it

2X-eed
07-16-2007, 07:48 PM
it always helped me sleep

I stay away from it before bed on a cut, but thats just me

burke
07-16-2007, 07:52 PM

Just curious why are so many split split on this topic... it drives me crazy that I can get one answer... I have read different books, different articles... some say eating before bed is good, especially milk because its slow digesting and can help you from going catabolic and keep your metabolism alive for a little longer.

However I have also read a dozen other articles that say don't eat before bed because your metabolism is the slowest... it can get stored as fat even if under your cals..

so which is it?!?! :)

slaydox
07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
it always helped me sleep

Before bed regardless your cutting or bulking milk is really good because of the nutrients and the casien protein which will help you stay anabolic.

Btw it depends on if your going to the beach or taking your shirt off anytime soon. I know with me dairy makes me bloat a little so i stay away from it a couple days before i do something where i take my shirt off.

plcsp
07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I always have a big glass of milk before bed, I think it helps alot.

tweety09
07-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Btw it depends on if your going to the beach or taking your shirt off anytime soon. I know with me dairy makes me bloat a little so i stay away from it a couple days before i do something where i take my shirt off.

I know this is off topic.. but i didn`t want to start a new thread.. so my question is.. is it true that dairy is "bloating" ? .. i know i am bloated almost every time.. but i eat la 3-4 servings of cheese/day.. +yogurt +milk.. i like dairy what can i say.. but i hate being bloated.. does anyone has an article related to this or something ?? or an explanation

10x

slaydox
07-16-2007, 11:49 PM
I know this is off topic.. but i didn`t want to start a new thread.. so my question is.. is it true that dairy is "bloating" ? .. i know i am bloated almost every time.. but i eat la 3-4 servings of cheese/day.. +yogurt +milk.. i like dairy what can i say.. but i hate being bloated.. does anyone has an article related to this or something ?? or an explanation

10x

Pmed

DoubleWide
07-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Milk has tryptophan.

The Solution
07-17-2007, 03:48 AM

10x

if i were u cut out the cheese and get ur fats from healthier fat chioces.. peanut butter / almonds or nuts / and healthy oil's.. u wont feel as bloated.. believe me

BabyBodybuilder
07-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Just curious why are so many split split on this topic... it drives me crazy that I can get one answer... I have read different books, different articles... some say eating before bed is good, especially milk because its slow digesting and can help you from going catabolic and keep your metabolism alive for a little longer.

However I have also read a dozen other articles that say don't eat before bed because your metabolism is the slowest... it can get stored as fat even if under your cals..

Some people have the delusion, that carbs before bed will automatically be stored as excess tissue (IE. fat). When this is ultimately untrue! The only concern you should have with ingesting carbs before bed, is the time frame in which you do so.

During deep sleep, our bodies release a hormone called hGH (human growth hormone). This is probably the singal most important hormone to bodybuilding. It helps us loose weight, grow, build muscle, among other very important task. It's released in a large spike during deep sleep (REM), which accrues about 90min into the sleep cycle. The only problem is, insulin blunts the release of hGH. So, all you have to do is make sure you get your carbs in an hour before hitting the sack, so they'll have worked their way though your system by the time gGH is checking for insulin. ;)

10x

It depends on how your body reacts to lactose. Some people have trouble digesting it, and "bloat up". If this is the case. Try buying lactose free milk :D

-Baby

tweety09
07-17-2007, 04:02 AM
if i were u cut out the cheese and get ur fats from healthier fat chioces.. peanut butter / almonds or nuts / and healthy oil's.. u wont feel as bloated.. believe me

thanks for the tip.. my only fat sources ar nuts, fish oil and olive oil.. that`s it.. i get fat free dairy..

It depends on how your body reacts to lactose. Some people have trouble digesting it, and "bloat up". If this is the case. Try buying lactose free milk :D

-Baby

I don`t have lactose free milk in here so that is out of the question.. i think i`ll just reduce my dairy intake.. but i don`t know what i`m gonna do for prebed.. i don`t have casein powder either.. only whey and egg.. i could buy egg but i know casein is absorbed slower than egg...

BabyBodybuilder
07-17-2007, 04:04 AM
I don`t have lactose free milk in here so that is out of the question.. i think i`ll just reduce my dairy intake.. but i don`t know what i`m gonna do for prebed.. i don`t have casein powder either.. only whey and egg.. i could buy egg but i know casein is absorbed slower than egg...

I'll ask this just for the sake of curiosity, but what about Cottage Cheese?

tweety09
07-17-2007, 04:17 AM
I'll ask this just for the sake of curiosity, but what about Cottage Cheese?

cottage cheese is dairy.. and i said i`m trying to reduce dairy.. and.. cottage cheese has to much fat in it.. there is no low fat cottage cheese in Romania.. only low fat milk and yogurt (thanks god for those)

redbullzeye
07-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Even i take milk before sleep, it contains caisen and takes good time to get digested, so consuming milk before sleep is good option. But taking milk after fish or any type of non veg might lead to foodpoisioning , BEWARE.

2X-eed
07-18-2007, 09:18 AM

I drink a casein shake with water. It has honestly worked better for me than milk. Milk has a significant amount of sugar, so that's why I stay away from it pre-bed. There are many people that will debate this though, but I found that this is how it works for me.

ChingChang
07-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Even i take milk before sleep, it contains caisen and takes good time to get digested, so consuming milk before sleep is good option. But taking milk after fish or any type of non veg might lead to foodpoisioning , BEWARE.
food poisoning? I eat fish like once a week and I always have two servings with several glasses of milk. Delicious!

DrumTech
07-18-2007, 10:12 AM
I like popcorn before bed with a whey shake (1 scoop, 2 cups water)

burke
07-18-2007, 10:14 AM
I like popcorn before bed with a whey shake (1 scoop, 2 cups water)

The thing is, whey is digested very quickly... it be better to take whey first thing in the AM to get your protein in quickly, the reason I sometimes drink milk before bed is because it is slow digesting and stays in the body longer while you sleep.

DrumTech
07-18-2007, 10:16 AM
The thing is, whey is digested very quickly... it be better to take whey first thing in the AM to get your protein in quickly, the reason I sometimes drink milk before bed is because it is slow digesting and stays in the body longer while you sleep.

thanks for that tip, I had never thought of that... I just don't want the sugars in my system while I sleep.

and popcorn seems to help me sleep

slaydox
07-18-2007, 10:23 AM
thanks for that tip, I had never thought of that... I just don't want the sugars in my system while I sleep.

and popcorn seems to help me sleep

Well simple sugars can have a relaxing effect in small doses. Lactose (the sugar in milk) is not a fast acting sugar. In fact milk in itself is slow digesting time period especialy with that fats helping it out.

To the guy who said you'll get food poising if you drink milk and fish. Its BS and false untill i see evidence. Theres no way milk can cause salmonela because its taking with fish.