PDA

View Full Version : HOW lowest can you go down with your bf...

EAAA
12-02-2001, 07:23 PM
for a long time without risking your health ?

drew
12-03-2001, 04:40 PM
You can get to single digit percentages but most don't stay there as you will only be able to maintain your look so low. I dont hear of less than 7-8% at the lowest maintained all year. To gain muscle, you will need to put on some more fat and raise your BF%.

MICHAL KINDRED
12-07-2001, 12:37 AM
IN MY OPINION YOU CAN BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN YOUR BODY FAT BETWEEN 5-7 % ALL YEAR.
I'M THIS WAY ALL YEAR WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.

PEACE
MICHAL KINDRED

Edutk
12-07-2001, 07:39 AM
Hey Michael what's up? How often do you eat a day? Are you constantly eating something? Many people say this is the key to getting lean. Is this true?

MICHAL KINDRED
12-07-2001, 09:28 PM
HEY EDUTK, HOW YOU DOING, BRO?

TO BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN YOUR BODY FAT AS LOW AS POSSIBLE YOU HAVE TO EAT AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE EVERY 2 - 2 1/2 HOURS.
THE NUMBER OF MEALS A DAY SHOULD BE 7-8.
THE BIGGEST CARB MEAL SHOULD BE BREAKFAST AND AFTER EACH WORKOUT, BECAUSE DURING THE NIGHT YOU ARE LOW ON CARBS THAT'S WHY YOU CAN AFFORD HAVE BIGGER CARB MEAL FOR BREAKFAST AND IT WILL NOT STORE AS FAT.
AFTER WORKOUT MEAL CAN BE ALSO HIGHER ON CARBS, BECAUSE DURING THE WORKOUT YOU ARE BURNING ALL GLYCOGEN AND IT ALSO WILL NOT STORE AS FAT.
EACH MEAL HAVE TO HAVE BOTH - PROTEIN AND CARBS.

IF YOU ARE TRYING TO BURN MORE BODY FAT , THEN AVOID CARBS IN LAST MEAL [ BEFORE YOU GO TO BED ]. ALSO YOU COULD ADD FIBER IN EACH MEAL TO SLOW DOWN CARBS DIGESTION.
GOOD SOURCE OF FIBER IS : BROCCOLI, GREEN BEANS, ASPARAGUS, CULIFLOWER.

PEACE
MICHAL KINDRED

Edutk
12-09-2001, 09:28 AM
Thanks a lot Michael you were very helpful as usual! Good luck with your competing man.

AsianInvasion
12-10-2001, 07:34 PM
So Michael, you are saying that you have achieved your gains without raising ur body fatabove 7%? That sounds like something Flex mag would say.. i find it hard to believe u can get so big without truly bulking...

MICHAL KINDRED
12-10-2001, 11:25 PM
TO ASIANINVASION - A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE IT. I REALLY AM KEEPING MY BODY FAT AT 5 - 6.5 % OFF SEASON. IT IS TRUE, THAT IT'S LITTLE LOW, BUT I RATHER GAIN QUALITY OF MUSCLE INSTEAD OF QUANTITY.

IF I WOULD HAVE HIGHER BODY FAT, I MAY GAIN MORE LEAN MUSCLE ALONG WITH IT, BUT THEN THE PRECONTEST DIET HAVE TO BE TWICE AS LONG AS I USUALLY NEED. SO THE TIME WHAT I AM GOING TO LOSE BY DIETING , I CAN AS WELL USE FOR GAINING MORE MUSCLE MASS.
SO IN MY OPINION IT'S BETTER TO BE LOW ON BODY FAT IN OFF SEASON, BUT NOT EVERYBODY WOULD AGREE WITH ME. BELIEVE ME, I HAVE TRIED BOTH. IT REALLY ISN'T FUN, WHEN YOU AREN'T ABLE TO EVEN TIE YOUR SHOES, BECAUSE YOU CAN NOT BEND OVER!!!LOL. AND I'M VERY FLEXIBLE PERSON , BUT I STILL WAS NOT ABLE TO DO IT. LOL

PEACE
MICHAL KINDRED

R.I.C.
12-11-2001, 09:49 PM
it's really amazing how you keep ur bf% so low througout the entire year, and I agree with your comments about staying lean and building quality muscle, rather than taking the other route. I saw your pics by the way, man your physique is off the scale !

This post is in regard to your advice to Edutk.

You mentioned that one must eat carbs after their workout, because their muscles are depleted of glycogen. I've heard conflicting comments all throughout these boards. From what I've read, muscles after a rigorous workout need protein....fast ! So having carbs along with your protein shake, will only slow down the protein uptake into your muscles right ? I guess what I should be asking you is what kind of carbs do you have with your protein shake after your workout ? I've got a 12~13% bf, and I'd like to drop to about 7%. That's my goal by March. Like you advised Edutk, I do have 7 - 8 meals, all consisting of protein and carbs and low fat, 40 mins of cardio in the morning, and I work out every other day. But the post workout meal for a guy trying to drop his bf% has always been a mystery to me... sometimes I just have a straight protein shake (Isopure)... but in an hour or so I'm starving again, and I end up munching something unhealthy ! So what would you recommend ? I have my post workout meal at 8:30 pm... and I go to bed by 11. Do you think it's smart for me to have another protein shake before I sleep ?

Thanks in advance for any advice... :)

MICHAL KINDRED
12-11-2001, 11:25 PM
TO R.I.C. - THANK YOU.

LET ME EXPLAIN WHAT I MEANT BY TAKING CARBS AFTER WORKOUT.
LIKE I SAID, DURING THE WORKOUT YOUR GLYCOGEN LOWERS THE AMOUNT OF SUGAR IN THE BLOOD. AFTER WORKOUT YOUR BODY IS GOING THROUGH CATABOLIC PROCESS, WHICH CAUSES MUSCLE LOSS. YOU HAVE TO STOP THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THE AFTER WORKOUT MEAL, WHICH IS ABUNDANT IN CARBS IS ANTICATABOLIC AND PREVENTS MUSCLE LOSS BY COMPLETELY REVERSING PROTEIN BREAKDOWN. AFTER WORKOUT YOU NEED TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT CARBOHYDRATES. YOU NEED FAST ACTING AND EASY TO DIGEST CARBS, SUCH AS WHITE RICE, BANANAS, RAISINS, BABY FOOD. THE REASON WHY YOU CAN AFFORD TO HAVE BIGGER AMOUNT OF CARBS AFTER WORKOUT IS THAT THE CARBS WILL NOT STORE AS A FAT.
OF COURSE YOU CAN'T FORGET ABOUT PROTEIN. BECAUSE PROTEIN IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOR BUILDING MUSCLE MASS. SO YOU CAN USE AS A SOURCE OF PROTEIN SOME PROTEIN SHAKE. BUT I PERSONALLY DON'T USE PROTEIN SHAKE AFTER WORKOUT AND INSTEAD OF IT I USE BCAAS, WHICH WILL SUPLLY MY MUSCLE TISSUE WITH AMINO-ACIDS FASTER. AS YOU KNOW, WHEN YOU USE PROTEIN EITHER FROM MEAT OR PROTEIN SHAKE, YOUR BODY HAS TO FIRST BREAK IT DOWN TO AMINO-ACIDS. AND THEN THE AMINO-ACIDS ARE USED TO REPAIR THE MUSCLE TISSUE. THAT'S WHY I PREFER TO USE BCAAS.

IF YOU ARE TRYING TO GET DOWN WITH YOUR BODYFAT, YOU KNOW, THAT YOU HAVE TO REDUCE CARB INTAKE. YOUR QUESTION WAS, IF YOU CAN HAVE SOME MORE PROTEIN BEFORE YOU GO TO BED. OF COURSE YOU CAN HAVE A PROTEIN, IT WILL NOT HURT YOU. YOU WOULD HAVE TO HAVE EXTREMELY HIGH PROTEIN INTAKE , SO THAT EVEN PROTEIN WOULD STORE AS A FAT. IF YOU WILL KEEP 1.8 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER POUND, YOU SHOULD BE FINE.
ACTUALY YOU MUST HAVE PROTEIN BEFORE YOU GO TO BED, BECAUSE DURING THE NIGHT YOU ARE LOW ON PROTEIN TOO.
I WOULD RECOMMEND LAST PROTEIN MEAL FROM CHICKEN BREAST ALONG WITH EITHER BROCCOLI OR GREEN BEANS.

PEACE
MICHAL KINDRED

THAT IS MY BEST WAY HOW TO EXPLAIN IT WITH ENGLISH. HOPE IT'S UNDERSTANDABLE.

Ice Man
12-12-2001, 09:15 AM
It is good to have casein protein before you sleep that way your muscles can use the protein to build while you sleep.

DGNR8 4:69
12-12-2001, 12:48 PM
i've eaten like a horse for years, i weight-train, and structure my meals, and my body fat manages to stay at about 5.3%, it's the way my body naturally works maybe i'm jus lucky i dunno

R.I.C.
12-13-2001, 09:07 PM
Thanks for your reply Michael. (and IceMan)

I might invest in some BCAA's and give them a try for 6 weeks or so. That's amazing though, what you said did make perfect sense about protein turning into amino acids before being absorbed into the blood stream. Makes me wonder why Protein shakes are so popular. Why don't we all just take BCAA's all the time ? I guess I'm going off the thread topic rather severly now !

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks - I'm going to alter my post workout meal to include high G.I. carbs, as you recommended.

Cheers.

mattman
12-22-2001, 01:54 PM
is 20ounces of skim milk before bedtime a good idea? And is taking ZMA good when cutting?

Khafra
12-24-2001, 08:22 PM
A conditional yes there, Mattman. You of course know to take the ZMA ~45 minutes before the milk. Milk, however, contains more sugar than protein, so if you're cutting a low-carb, high-casein protein shake might be a better idea. Powdered milk is the absolute cheapest way to go, though.

Salford Reds
07-03-2004, 01:51 PM
I've heard of one or two people getting close to 0%, perhaps negative..

Ragadozo
07-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Salford Reds

Are you saying you can get a negative BF%?

That is not possible. BF% is a measure of your body fat. Lets take a good example. If you have no bodyfat on you and all muscle, youl have 0% (which is also nearly impossible), there is no way you can have a negative body fat percentage.

Thats like saying.... you have less than NO fat on your body.

Salford Reds
07-04-2004, 01:40 AM
It was from a reputable source..

tokki
07-04-2004, 07:08 AM
It was from a reputable source..

Um, what source?Its common sense that nothing can go below 0 isnt it?

Salford Reds
07-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Temperature can.

Lumiere
07-04-2004, 08:58 AM
you do realise temperature and fat are 2 different things do you?

:O

the so called negative temperature is only a scale, as far as i know temp cannot go below -273.16 degree C, and that is 0 Kelvin.

so there is no negative Kelvin.

Salford Reds
07-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Kelvin was a wanker.

rizay
07-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Go below 0%?!? Must have been corpses...

I.B.V.King
07-04-2004, 10:59 AM
how can you be soo gullible, there is no such thing as negative bf, he was being sarcastic... in fact you would die at 0%, i think 3% is the lowest that a human can survive at... your body needs fat to protect the internal organs and cusion then and stuff like that... at 3%, you have no skin fat, and nothing more than that last essential part of fat around the organs... at that level, a simple punch could probably cause serious damage and even kill you... and lets face it, no DIET is gonna bring you down to 3% bf

al1
07-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Wasn't there one person who was measured at 3%? There was someone at my gym that was measured at 4% using a machine that measures electrical resistance (not sure about the accuracy though).

tokki
07-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Lumiere
you do realise temperature and fat are 2 different things do you?

:O

the so called negative temperature is only a scale, as far as i know temp cannot go below -273.16 degree C, and that is 0 Kelvin.

so there is no negative Kelvin.

Temperature:) What a come back. The measurement we use for temperatures is simpply a scale, it has no real meaning. Thats why we have several different scales. All of them simply measure the kinetic energy of particles at specific temperatures, setting an arbitrary value for those measurements. At 0 Kelvin there is no kinetic vibration of particles, hence it is the lowest temperature possible. With fat, 0% means NO FAT WHATSOEVER. You cant go under 0.

Ragadozo
07-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Salford, I hope your ****ing joking.

Whatever "reputable" source you read from that you can have less than 0% body fat, was probably a 15 year old waste of oxygen, who though he knew everything.

Temperature is a scale. Just like integers, you can go below 0.

BF% is a percentage. For example, lets say you get a test back (for instance) and get 0 percent. That means you got every question wrong. Would you mind explaining to me, how you could get a negative percentage on that test?

How the **** can you believe that you can go below 0% BF? :rolleyes:

gfletch
07-04-2004, 07:04 PM

Impossible, About two-thirds of your brain is composed of fats. So if you go to 0% bf you would literally have no brain....wait Salford maybe you are at 0%bf, lol jk

Lumiere
07-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by tokki
Temperature:) What a come back. The measurement we use for temperatures is simpply a scale, it has no real meaning. Thats why we have several different scales. All of them simply measure the kinetic energy of particles at specific temperatures, setting an arbitrary value for those measurements. At 0 Kelvin there is no kinetic vibration of particles, hence it is the lowest temperature possible. With fat, 0% means NO FAT WHATSOEVER. You cant go under 0.

thanks tokki! :)

finally, someone here has a positive % of brain cells.

Salford Reds
07-05-2004, 02:28 AM
LMAO at you guys..

At less than 0%, basically anything you eat will turn to fat..it's kind of a debt.

Lumiere
07-05-2004, 05:19 AM
LMAO at you guys..

At less than 0%, basically anything you eat will turn to fat..it's kind of a debt.

i guess you have a negative age too...

At less than 0%, basically anything you hear will turn into common sense... it's kind of a debt.

LMFAO at YOU :D

Salford Reds
07-05-2004, 06:14 AM
Do you understand me? It's like being overdrawn..

Romac
07-05-2004, 06:17 AM
i can maintian negative 10% bf AND bulk at the same time np

idk what y'all's problem is!

Lumiere
07-05-2004, 06:36 AM
then you better drown yourself in a pool of lard.

it will definitely cut you up in no time.

brocolli makes you very stinky a-r-s-e-h-o-l-e

ziren
07-05-2004, 10:55 AM
YOU CANNOT GO BELOW 3% WITHOUT DYING AND LESS THAN 6% IS VERY UNHEALTHY.

Slide
07-05-2004, 12:56 PM

NO.
NO.
NO!
NO!!

At 0% body fat you're dead. Your body needs some essential fats in your body in order to SURVIVE. Your essential fats range is in the 2-4% percentage, and going any lower is more or less dying. It is possible for humans to have body fat percentages at this range or even lower: you will commonly find these people in countries where they are starving to death.

Here is a WELL-CREDITED chart that shows what kinds of body fat % that are acceptable. The lowest healthiest % is 6%, but most hardcore ppl cut it at 7-8%.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

Salford, did you even take basic math in school? :o Percentages are based upon a portion over a whole. You can't get negative percentages unless they are in terms of rate. Basic calculus proves that whenever you see a negative percentage, it should be inferred as some sort of rate!

Hank Scorpio
07-31-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Ragadozo
Are you saying you can get a negative BF%?

That is not possible. BF% is a measure of your body fat. Lets take a good example. If you have no bodyfat on you and all muscle, youl have 0% (which is also nearly impossible), there is no way you can have a negative body fat percentage.

Thats like saying.... you have less than NO fat on your body.

I cannot believe this guy actually responded to this negative BF% crap..... ah well, we all have to learn some time i guess