PDA

View Full Version : Need a Diet

Liftingnewb
11-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi, I just started an HST program and need a diet. I've worked out off and on for a year or so but I started regularly since june...Ive done a 3 day split for these 5 months and just started HST recently....I never focused a diet so I am in need to see what you guys do for food.. I am 22 6'3 and 204 lbs with about 19% bf. My goal is to get more muscular. Thanks

RipStone
11-29-2004, 05:47 PM
This is an old post from the Men's Health forum..it a pretty good guideline to use:

“ Eating clean” means, basically, eating the right kinds of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.

Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are an important energy source for your body and your brain. Some are better than others. The Glycemic Index describes how quickly your body metabolizes foods into sugars. High G.I. foods turn into sugars quickly, causing an insulin spike. Low GI foods metabolize slowly. Try to keep your carbs lower than 75 GI. You can find the GI ratings here: http://diabetes.about.com/library/m.../nmendosagi.htm, or www.glycemicindex.com, or various other sources.
Examples of Low GI Carbs:
Vegetables, Mixed Beans, Oatmeal, Bran, Whole Grain Breads, Whole Grains, Barley, Brown Rice, Low GI Fruits
Lowfat Milk, Lowfat Yogurt (note: while these dairy products have a low GI, they have a high Insulin Index (the reaction your body produces to the metabolizing of these products), so use in moderation)
White Rice (note: while having a higher GI, these have a low Insulin Index, so again, use in moderation)

High GI Carbs to Avoid:
White Bread (includes “wheat bread” – must say “whole wheat” or “whole grain”) this means bagels, tortillas, pitas, and all other forms of bread
Potatoes (the worst – very high GI) (sweet potatoes are OK)
High GI fruits (watermelon, dates, raisins, ) and fruit juice – eat raw fruits instead (one glass of orange juice has over three oranges in it, without the benefits of the fiber in the raw orange)
Sugar and processed food with sugar or its many forms (high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar, molasses, etc)
Pastas (use in moderation, and never with saturated fats, e.g. fettucine alfredo)
Most breakfast cereals (stick to whole grain / bran cereals if you must eat cereals)

Proteins: Eat lean proteins, low in saturated fats.
Examples of Good Protein Sources:
Lean Beef (90% lean ground beef, lean steak)
Chicken (particularly white meat)
Turkey (particularly white meat)
Lean pork (tenderloin, lean ham)
Lowfat dairy products, in moderation
Cottage cheese (highly recommended form of casein protein)
Whey protein
Fish, particularly tuna, salmon, and cod
Eggs, particularly egg whites (yolks in moderation)
Soy and soy products, while very good sources of protein, have also been shown in some studies to have potential for causing high estrogen levels and sexual dysfunction. I suggest using these in moderation until testing is completed and a conclusion has been reached. Caveat Emptor.

Proteins to avoid:
Fatty meats (non-extra lean ground beef, fatty pork (bacon, ribs, etc)
Fatty dairy (whole milk, most cheese, ice cream)

Fats: Fats, which have been vilified, are an essential ingredient in our diet. Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats must be included in your daily plan. A small amount of saturated fats are also needed. Minimize saturated fats, maximize monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. Try to get good Essential Fatty Acids – Omega 3 and Omega 6’s.
No more than 1/3 of your fat calories should be saturated fats (if you are on a 40/30/30 plan, 10% of your calories may come from sat fats)
Examples of good fats:
Fish and fish oils – polyunsaturated, best source of Omega 3’s – cold water fish – tuna, salmon, cod
Flaxseed oil – some Omega 3, good Omega 6
Extra virgin Olive Oil - monounsaturated fat
Avocados – monounsaturated fat
Nuts – mono, poly, and omega 6s – best are walnuts and almonds

Bad fats:
Saturated fats – from animal products (fatty beef, pork, milk, etc)
Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats (trans fatty acids) – Wicked Bad Stuff. (margarine and Crisco are trans fatty acids)
Most vegetable oil and corn oil – use Canola oil if you must use oil, and use in moderation – try not to cook in oil if you can avoid it. If you cook with oil, use an oil with the appropriate smoke point.

Water:
The human body is about 60 to 75 percent water, and the brain is said to be about 85 percent water. Even bones are about 20 percent water. The body needs water. Nothing substitutes for water; coffee, tea, alcohol, are not the same as water. Drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Note: The more caffeine you drink, the more water you must drink. Caffeine is a diuretic and flushes water out of your system.

Vitamins and Minerals:
Vitamins and Minerals play a vital role in maintaining the proper biological functioning of everything from muscles to memory. Nutritionists will tell you that they are unnecessary if we consume a properly balanced diet, but few of us consume a “properly balanced diet”. It is highly recommended to consume a good quality multivitamin/mineral supplement daily. It is very difficult to obtain protective levels of some nutrients solely from diet.

Special notes:
1) Avoid mixing high GI carbs with fats
2) Avoid all processed / prepackaged foods
3) Read labels! Be on the lookout for bad stuff!
4) Eat your veggies!

Liftingnewb
11-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Wow this is a lot of info...thnx

also would you know where I can find a diet that already made up for begininning lifters i.e by meals ?

RipStone
11-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Wow this is a lot of info...thnx

also would you know where I can find a diet that already made up for begininning lifters i.e by meals ?

I don't think your diet would. vary depending on if you are advanced or a newibie to bodybuilding. Just check out some of the "How are my diet" threads in the nutrition forum to get an idea. This artilce is pretty good too, check it out....

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm