PDA

View Full Version : work around this

freebsd
11-25-2004, 11:27 PM
just when I decided to push cardio double time. Cold air hits my cardio routine like I need to stop. I did my night cardio today and it was cold. When I came home, I was coughing bad due to cold wind that i'm breathing. Unfortunately I don't have a gym membership since I brought the gym at my house. I was wondering if it's ok to do cardio even when it's cold out? The only way I can do cardio is if I cover my face with a scarf. I gotta do this thing for another 2 weeks. Is that my only option? will it be stupid if you see someone jogging when it's cold? Will you do cardio outside when it's cold when you have no choice?

Kharnal
11-26-2004, 03:26 AM
Can't hurt you (unless of course you are ill to start out with), in fact you will probably burn more calories, because your body has to heat up the cold air.

I would say go for it. I wouldn't personally do it, but my dad used to run marathons and ran every morning, even when it was way below freezing. He was never ill...he just busted his knee doing it :) (He got better ;) )

migizi
11-26-2004, 05:23 AM
it's important to wear layers when you workout in cold 4-5 would be best....I used to go out with 1. garbage bag 2. undershirt, 3 long sleeve tshirt/turtle neck 4. sweatshirt 5 heavy jogging sweatshirt,,,,not only do you sweat like a pig,,,you dont feel any cold,,,a good thing too would be a scarf...that way you're not breathing in the cold air into your lungs. I used to run every day from Oct-Mar here in DC suburbs and it got in the low 30's at times and high 20's.

oddjob21
11-26-2004, 05:44 AM
what about trying a different form of cardio for 2 weeks, skipping is great cardio workout, if you have to jog tho use the scarf

Crzylizard
11-26-2004, 07:54 AM
I do alot of cardio at night right now (but I'm joining a 24/7 fitness center here tomorrow). Its gets cold as hell. Its hard on your lungs and everything, just because of how cold the air is. But, all in all, its just as effective. Just man up and do as much as you can until you're used to the pain ;)