PDA

View Full Version : Does fiber trigger a insulin release?

ck85abc
11-21-2004, 08:04 PM
I know were supposed to eat low GI foods to keep a constant flow of insulin in our blood. So that it can transport the protein to were it needs to be.

My question is. If I want to have 40g carbs in a meal. Should I count the fiber? My tortill's have like 11 grams of fiber and fiber one cerial has like 14g. That is a huge difference if I should count those or not.

musclemidget
11-21-2004, 08:07 PM
theres no way fiber can trigger an insulin response seeing as it passes through your digestive system undigested and intact.

Melkor
11-21-2004, 08:53 PM
theres no way fiber can trigger an insulin response seeing as it passes through your digestive system undigested and intact.
Exactly. Fiber has no effect on your blood sugar as it is indigestible. Fiber just cleans your guts.

CF10
11-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Exactly, that's why when you hear about net carbs, it is all the carbs minus the fiber.

ck85abc
11-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Exactly, that's why when you hear about net carbs, it is all the carbs minus the fiber.

Acually, net carbs does not have a FDA definition. So companies can cound net carbs any way they want. Ive seen alot that just count sugar as net carbs.

xxghostxx
11-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Acually, net carbs does not have a FDA definition. So companies can cound net carbs any way they want. Ive seen alot that just count sugar as net carbs.

Is this the reason why companies can list such things as "no sugar" but they use malto?

musclemidget
11-22-2004, 09:15 AM

yeah, what out for what people claim are "net carbs." chef jay's trioplex bars are labeled to exclude carbs from oats in the "net carb" count.

ck85abc
11-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Is this the reason why companies can list such things as "no sugar" but they use malto?

That I'm not sure about. I think you are talking about products that use splenda(sucrolose) for flavoring. Usually any time sucrolose is used you will find moltodextrose(I think) or is it moltodextrine? Anyway There is a really small amount of molto in there. Not enough in one serving to be considered 1 gram of sugar by the FDA. So they don't have to list any sure.

Another note. If there is 4 calories in a product per serving they can call it calorie free. They don't have to report it until 5 calories.

speda1
11-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Insoluble fiber is not digestable. Soluble fiber is partially digestable. Still, there is no impact on blood glucose or insulin levels.

Haywood Jablome
11-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Insoluble fiber is not digestable. Soluble fiber is partially digestable. Still, there is no impact on blood glucose or insulin levels.

^^