PDA

View Full Version : Sweet potato cooking idea....?

e_burna
11-21-2004, 12:55 PM
With the cheap price of sweet potato's right now(26 cents lb here) I was wondering of a way to preserve them for later use, past the 2 weeks or so shelf life. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of cutting them up almost like french fries, then cooking, and then bagging up to freeze, much as you would french fries that have already been cooked. Anyone ever tried this? Any other ideas?

gfletch
11-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Sweet potatoes will keep for a month or longer if stored at 55F; if kept at normal room temperature, they should be used within a week of purchase.

Cooked sliced or mashed sweet potatoes can be frozen; add a little lemon juice to keep them from darkening and pack them into freezer containers.

e_burna
11-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Sweet potatoes will keep for a month or longer if stored at 55F; if kept at normal room temperature, they should be used within a week of purchase.

Cooked sliced or mashed sweet potatoes can be frozen; add a little lemon juice to keep them from darkening and pack them into freezer containers.

Thanks, thanks a lot. I think I'm going to stock up w/them being so damn cheap right now and use them for the next few months past thanksgiving. Is this the only time of the year they get so cheap?

gfletch
11-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Sweet potatoes are grown mainly in California, Louisiana, and New Jersey. They are sold throughout the year, but are most abundant in the fall and early winter. Most stores feature sweet potatoes around Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I guess it just depend on where you live. When I was living in Califonia you could find them all the time, dirt cheap

e_burna
11-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Sweet potatoes are grown mainly in California, Louisiana, and New Jersey. They are sold throughout the year, but are most abundant in the fall and early winter. Most stores feature sweet potatoes around Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I guess it just depend on where you live. When I was living in Califonia you could find them all the time, dirt cheap

Must be nice. Here in Ohio they are generally about 1.29lb, and occasionally like .98lb, but right now at .26lb that can't be beat.

godemiche
11-21-2004, 04:59 PM
yup,,, down for the holidays''..
wal-mart,,, usually 88c a pound,,, now 44c... :)

Gabrielle
11-21-2004, 09:48 PM
This may sound strange~but you can cut them in strips and put them in a food dehydrator/dryer kind of thing. They last forever and taste like candy.

JingleAllTheWAY
11-21-2004, 09:55 PM
gfletch..are you copy and pasting this info from about.com or are you really this Sweet Potato literate? halol