PDA

View Full Version : Gaining weight

Ppk487
07-08-2007, 05:47 PM
I've been working out for about a month now and eating a boat load of food. I just started doing Rippetoe's last week and the weeks prior to it I've been working out particular muscles without a set routine. With eating I usually eat 2 egg whites on a bagel when I can make it otherwise I eat Muscle Milk Oatmeal as a substitute for breakfast and I generally eat about 4-5 more times during the day after breakfast (a lot of chicken, tuna, beef, steak, ribs, fish, etc with the occasional pizza or very rarely, fast food). I'm an ectomorph at about 5 foot 9. Right now I have been weighing in at and around 178 lbs, which is about 8 lbs heavier than i was since i started the new diet and working out. Thing is, I notice it more in my stomach than anywhere else (although my arms are slightly bigger). Usually by the end of the day I feel heavy and bloated but int he morning I feel and look slim again. I've been taking Mega Men multi, 1 fish and 1 flax oil capsule, and green bulge (5 pills) every day and have been drinking a lot of water. I just hope that I'm not getting fat. Would this be considered normal for the bulking stage? Thanks.

forcasa
07-08-2007, 06:49 PM
8lbs in a month sounds about right. how much over your calorie maintenance are you eating?

you don't sound like an ectomorph to me.

Ppk487
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
i think im an ectomorph, i have always been naturally skinny, only times where i have fluctuated in weight did i look somewhat pudgy but only in the stomach area. my arms and legs have always been very skinny and lanky, just my gut would grow depending on how much id eat. its weird because often times when i weight myself i always think "where is this weight coming from because i cant see it." anyway, not sure how many calories i take in a day, but i can tell you i take in about 200 grams of protein on average a day, possibly about 2000 calories a day as well, not exactly sure about the calories. people say that i appear to be filling out, although i cant exactly tell myself. i just wish the meat on my body would spread throughout instead of going mainly into my stomach.

forcasa
07-08-2007, 07:40 PM
have a read of boyscout's guide (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1864731&highlight=boyscout+t+guide+to+better+life) it probably answers most of your questions about gaining.

icery
07-08-2007, 07:51 PM
if it isn't water or glycogen, 8 lbs a month would be well over 80 lbs a year. you are the fast track to the chub zone. start counting your calories and weighing yourself once a week.

CConover
07-08-2007, 07:57 PM
It's hard to tell by you just giving us a number.

Chances are, if you think you look fatter and not stronger, you're prob gaining more body fat then you want.

or you can get a body fat test and compare it to before :P

Aindreas
07-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I know what you mean about getting heavier and bloated over the course of the day. Then I wake up in the morning and am relieved to see that my abs are, in fact, still present and accounted for. But I definitely wouldn't consider 2000 cals a "boatload" of food, especially at your weight. If you're gaining on that, there's no way in hell you're an ectomorph.