PDA

View Full Version : 337,000 jobs added last month

philhill4
11-05-2004, 09:02 AM
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004110509130002844293&dt=20041105091300&w=RTR&coview=

Just another reason why Bush was re-elected and why his policies do work to create jobs, increase growth and improve all economic indicators. Since Bush's re-election the dow has jumped over 200 points, the Nasdaq is trading at over 2000, and oil prices have dropped. Bottom line lower taxes work.

chrisrock
11-05-2004, 09:32 AM
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004110509130002844293&dt=20041105091300&w=RTR&coview=

Just another reason why Bush was re-elected and why his policies do work to create jobs, increase growth and improve all economic indicators. Since Bush's re-election the dow has jumped over 200 points, the Nasdaq is trading at over 2000, and oil prices have dropped. Bottom line lower taxes work.

I saw that.. I think it's awesome! The last year has been overall pretty good. I guess it takes a couple of years (Sep 2001 - Aug 2003) to get over the worst attack on american soil!

Debaser
11-05-2004, 10:46 AM

For the most part, I agree with Bush's economic plans. Lower taxes are good for the people and working force. That I agree with. However, I could increase jobs - there was such a defecit, there's no place else for the job market to go, and that's up. You act like he did something magical.

I just find it odd that you're praising someone who had some of lowest job percentages during his term, but now you're giving him a ton of credit for this upturn. I guess you can now blame Bush for the loss of jobs during his term, are you willing to do this as well?

M@chin@
11-05-2004, 02:30 PM
These type of threads make me cringe.

Look, you support Bush good, but stop jumping on anything positive and trying to build it into being part of some genius master plan. It makes the rest of us conservatives seem stupid by contamination.

And IF you must discuss job growth, please take into account that about 3 million people a year enter the job market(people graduating and immigration). So just to break even we need 3 million new jobs a year.

Hartski
11-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Then again, how many people are leaving the job market every year through death, retirement, ect.?

Also, you have to take into account that technology has advanced so that companies can produce more/better goods with fewer employees. Encouraging small/new businesses is about the only way to increase employment.

FreeBirdbulker
11-05-2004, 03:21 PM

Look, you support Bush good, but stop jumping on anything positive and trying to build it into being part of some genius master plan. It makes the rest of us conservatives seem stupid by contamination.

And IF you must discuss job growth, please take into account that about 3 million people a year enter the job market(people graduating and immigration). So just to break even we need 3 million new jobs a year.

Look, you support Kerry, but stop jumping on anything negative and trying to build it into being some hitler master plan. It makes us truth-knowing republicans seem stupid by your contamination.

Reborn79
11-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Look, you support Kerry, but stop jumping on anything negative and trying to build it into being some hitler master plan. It makes us truth-knowing republicans seem stupid by your contamination.

It isn't hard to make you 'truth-knowing' Republicans 'seem' stupid. :D

the_invince
11-05-2004, 04:00 PM

he doesn't support kerry, he supports bush. I think you need to read what he said again.

M@chin@
11-08-2004, 08:39 PM
he doesn't support kerry, he supports bush. I think you need to read what he said again.

Wanting people to read and think before responding is of course the ideal, but probably not a viable choice for many. We should just be glad that this particular sheep is at least following a good herd.

I'm glad he's conservative... he may not know WHY he's conservative, but at least he's not hurting the rest of us.

Petey_G
11-08-2004, 10:08 PM

Minus the amount of people exiting the job market...

frog
11-09-2004, 05:20 AM
I saw that.. I think it's awesome! The last year has been overall pretty good. I guess it takes a couple of years (Sep 2001 - Aug 2003) to get over the worst attack on american soil!

what?? no no no, um you can't be making a great point no democrat wants to admit to??

this must be flawed reporting!!!! :)

The Experiment
11-09-2004, 05:23 AM
Its called seasonal help. Seriously. My sister who is 16 is one of those people who got a job. That number is going to go down almost completely by January. Get over it but its nice that people are finding work, even if it is seasonal.

NotRippedYet
11-09-2004, 05:39 AM
Just another reason why Bush was re-elected and why his policies do work to create jobs......Bottom line lower taxes work.

Please, I'd like for you to explain to me how lower taxes had anything to do with anything you just mentioned as a positive.

Oh, and for referance if you read the entire article. 71,000 of the jobs were construction jobs, based heavily in the SE due to the hurricanes and their required reconstruction. Also, unemployment still jumped from 5.4-5.5% which the article attributes to "but that was because more people joined the search for employment, a potentially hopeful sign."" This fails to take into account how many people have given up on finding a job, and are no longer represented by that number.

Also, we are still 450,000 jobs in the hole since Bush took office in 2000.

Once again I'll say, the economic outlook is certainly looking better. However, it's still too early to wave an end to the recession just yet. 4th quarter retail sales will be volatile at best, as will the oil price over the next 1-2 quarters. Both of these will have a large impact on the economic indicators. I'd keep an eye on them, and lets hold off on the celebration for now, but again, that's just me...... You're all welcome to jump on the woohoo band-wagon if you so choose.

chrisrock
11-09-2004, 08:59 AM

I'm thinking that two planes attacking the center of our economy had something to do with that... I could be wrong though. Wait... No I'm not.

GulfCoastAquari
11-09-2004, 09:39 AM
1) You are right that we are in the red as far as overall job numbers go.
2) Yes that trend started in mid 2000
Just wondering - who was President then??

Diesel66
11-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Country officially entered a recession in March 2001. So unless you can prove that Bush made the nation go into a recession in less then 40 days in office, it was inherited.

Also it was the shortest and lightest recession in a very long time.

NotRippedYet
11-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Country officially entered a recession in March 2001. So unless you can prove that Bush made the nation go into a recession in less then 40 days in office, it was inherited.

Once again, recessions and growth periods are cyclical in nature, they are neither inherited nor preventable. The current recession is a result of the .com and tech bubble burst, and was bound to happen no matter who was in office at the time. I have never at any time said that Bush caused it. I have said that 4 years later, he's failed to react to it.

drewbie 51
11-09-2004, 06:47 PM
although i am glad to here we are creating jobs, you must keep in mind that our workforce grows by about 1.5 million jobs a year, this means that their are 1.5 million more people entering the workforce than leaving it every year. And this high influx of jobs is most likely do to the holidays coming up, not trying to be pesemistic, but it takes more than one month of job growth, to repair the damage that has been done

Snoopis
11-10-2004, 12:19 PM
but it takes more than one month of job growth, to repair the damage that has been done

From Whitehouse.gov (http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/economy/):

The government released new jobs figures on November 5, 2004 - and the data show robust job gains. Employment rose by 337,000 in October. Revisions to August and September added a combined 113,000 jobs to total employment and showed the economy has added nearly 2.4 million jobs since last August, with 14 straight months of job gains.

______The economy has posted steady job gains for each of the last fourteen months - creating nearly 2.4 million jobs since August 2003, according to the payroll survey.

o The household survey shows nearly 2.5 million jobs created since August 2003.

o The national unemployment rate edged up slightly to 5.5% in October, largely due to an increase in the size of the labor force. The rate is down 0.8 percentage point from a peak of 6.3% in June 2003. At 5.5%, the unemployment rate is well below the average of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.

o Job creation was up in 47 of the 50 states in the last year, and the unemployment rate was down in all regions and in 46 of the 50 states .

o Employment in construction, financial services, and educational and health services is at an all-time high.

o Since the national peak in June 2003, unemployment rates have fallen across all levels of education, races, and ages.

It certainly does take more than one month... so far we're at 14.