PDA

View Full Version : BB and Eating Disorders

Hiergeist
06-01-2002, 11:56 PM
I was doing some research for my psychology class and I came to eating disorders, where I found some interesting information. it says that people who spend a big amount of time thinking about food (bodybuilders) and trying to control everything they eat (bodybuilders) and regularly deprive themselves from tasty "bad" (bodybuilders on a diet) have a high chance of developing a distorted body image which can lead to eating disorders such as bulimia, when you binge and puke. i've thought about that and i think that it is kind of true what it says in my psychology book and would be cool to get some feedback what you guys think about that...
(source: prentice hall, psychology - an introduction, 11th edition)

Luke530
06-02-2002, 05:40 AM
To an extent... I believe you are right. But if you take everything with a normal approach, this should not happen. I think bodybuilders are more prone to the exact opposite of annorexia (bigorexia) where they are just trying to constantly get bigger (nothing wrong with that).

daniel2166
06-02-2002, 07:22 AM
Eating like a bodybuilder can only be thought of as a disorder because the majority of the world are lazy and don't eat right. Eating the way we do is the correct way to feed yourself. I reckon if more people ate like this they'd be a lot healthier and the 3 meals a day + snack binging like 95% of people do would be thought of as the eating disorder.

TheGMF
06-02-2002, 08:19 AM
I can see the similarities, but they are very much different
I am not proud of it, but I used to be annorexic for about a year.

When you are annorexic, you eat less (almost nothing) because you want to be thinner/ lighter. You eat MUCH less calories than you expend.

Where in bodybuilding, you eat to enhance how your body looks (similarities), but bodybuilders DO eat food, and for many, tons of it. :-)

Tim
06-02-2002, 08:50 AM
It depends how you define "eating disorder." To me, an eating disorder is only when one severly deprives themselves of calories and nurtients, as is with the case with bulemia and anorexia. But then again, some of my friends think that I have an eating disorder just because I don't eat things like pizza and fried food. Only an idiot would consider a bodybuilding bulking diet an "eating disorder," and even a cutting diet isn't an eating disorder, because you are still taking in a decent abount of calories.

Hiergeist
06-02-2002, 07:01 PM
good point, but I'm not talking about the guys who have balanced meals 6 times a day, I'm talking about the guys who are on a cutting diet and when they have their cheat day they eat everything they find, then they get sick and puke and then they start eating again. that's the guys I'm concerned about.

Luke530
06-02-2002, 07:42 PM
sounds like a post-contest binge to me... it's normal.

daniel2166
06-03-2002, 05:45 AM
Usually eating disorders are now called "disordered eating".

lol

vengeance
06-03-2002, 03:39 PM
I seen something on tv last night..it wasnt especially about eating disorders but more like obsessive compulisive disorder.

They were talking about bodybuilders that become obsessed with gaining size and looking buff. They actually think skinny guys on the street are bigger then themselves. Kinda the opposite of bulemia, they see themselves as tiny instead of fat.
They were also saying that these people, sometime doctors, lawyers, etc etc.. even leave their profession just to spend more time at the gym. Crazy stuff!

Luke530
06-03-2002, 04:18 PM
sounds like me, hehe.

EliasLB1030@msn
06-03-2002, 05:57 PM
my cousin went through a binging and purging stage and it tore him up.

TxBeauty
09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
The difference is that an eating disorder is psychological. It really has nothing to do with the food, it's a coping mechanism. On some level, conscious or subconscious, the disorder is helping them cope and feel better about something they cannot cope with. They have a distorted body image where they actually see "fat" in the mirror, when in reality there is none. It's a disorder that quickly becomes addictive, serving a very similar purpose as cutting or trichotillomania (pulling out hair). Any sport that focuses on the body and being a certain size or weight has the possibility of aiding the onset of an eating disorder. But there is an underlying condition already there and this sport may be the trigger that starts an eating disorder. And in the instance of "bigorexia" it is definitely not as harmful to your body as other eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, binge-eating), but it is still a psychological problem and having a distorted body image is not healthy. Those who are described as having "disordered eating" still have a real problem. It is only called that b/c they may not fit every diagnostic criteria to be diagnosed with an actual eating disorder by the dsm. There are very specific diagnostic criteria that must be met in order to be diagnosed, if someone fits all but one they are diagnosed as having disordered eating or EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified). It in no way means that there is not a serious problem there.

That's my 2 cents : )

lorinelise
09-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Strong bump. I have siblings younger than this thread.

Maikeri
09-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I think an eating disorder would be more likely to develop for someone trying to cut. If they are doing everything they can, including depriving themselves of food, after a while of seeing no results could lead to a disorder

DominicN
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Among the pros I think it's pretty rare. On these boards it seems like a plague. "omg i just ate cake thread" #4302.

fringey187
09-18-2009, 12:07 PM
i used to purge be sick on purpose it all started around three years ago when i wanted to loose weight. i used to weigh over 16 stones . I only used to purge when i eat too much at first . then when i started going college i lost another couple of stones . my diet used to consist of either a bowl of cereal a day or 6-8 Jacob crackers with tuna however i still used to feel my stomach and feel fat so i used to be sick on purpose yet again this carried on for a year when i got to 11 stones i used to be sick on purpose at least 4 times a week regardless if only ate a bowl of cereal or 8 crackers. i also used to go jogging for 2 hours daily( i still do) . i left college and i slowly by slowly increased what i was eating by up too a few hundred cals monthly at first... if i felt down i used to be sick on purpose yet again . slowly ive got a job ive slowly started eating around 1200 cals a day and i haven't been sick on purpose for over 6 months.... but i still have the fear of gaining weight i weigh around 50 kg around 8 stones but when i look in the mirror i still am not comfortable with how i look . these days i eat around 1200 cals a day i exercise for 2 hours daily (jogging) and im not gaining or loosing weight ( apart from recently but that was due to me fasting and know i have swine flu)

thats the fast version of my eating habits over the last three years

sungodapollo
09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Hmmmmm ok at my worst i was 262 pounds 30+% bf and eating fast food and fried food exclusively.....and I was sick to my stomach 24/7

I've lost 94 pounds and gained great muscle definition and never get a stomach ache....due to my "eating disorder."

The only "disorder" I had was shoving 5 thickburgers and cokes down my throat a day......

foxbody351w
09-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I think a lot of people that have had or do have an eating disorder are perfectionists. Black and white thinkers, right and wrong-there is no inbetween only extremes. Starve yourself or gorge yourself.
With that said...I had an eating disorder and developing the "bodybuilding" diet and lifestyle ended my years of struggling with bulimia and anorexia. I think the meticulous counting of calories and weighing food, and the ideal that food is used for fuel only and not comfort, or some other crutch, is completely amazing. I love the feeling of being in control-the reason most people develop eating disorders-and knowing little things like the macronutrient breakdown of my meal, or that my chicken breast is exactly 6oz. puts me at ease and in control. Not only does this type of logging make me acountable for what I eat, it also lowers my stress which eliminates the stress related binges I used to have.
AND if you are truely trying to build muscle and improve your body then feeding your body the proper nutrients in the proper macros is the absolute best way to achieve the body you want.
IMO following a strict "bodybuilding" diet is the only way some people(like me) can break away from the vicious cycle of an eating disorder.

THE_TRUTH86
09-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Eating like a bodybuilder can only be thought of as a disorder because the majority of the world are lazy and don't eat right. Eating the way we do is the correct way to feed yourself. I reckon if more people ate like this they'd be a lot healthier and the 3 meals a day + snack binging like 95% of people do would be thought of as the eating disorder.

I agree with this... I am called weird to and obsessive because I neeed to have a source of protein with everything i eat.. For instance with pizza i need some chicken to go along with it or i wont eat it....

I eat many meals a day not because of the meal-timing, but because im hungry a majority of the time..They also think my protein brownies and cottage cheese with PB is weird too...

All i can say is im happier now eating healthy as opposed to when i was chowing down mcdonalds, bk, and greasy foods..

Plus eating more fibrous foods helps me with the problem i experienced when i was a fatty

wave_length
09-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Eating like a bodybuilder just means eating enough protein.
Everything else could be considered an ED.

On Fire
09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Strong bump.

Funny, that's exactly how I'd describe this:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/505/tush.jpg

=) haha

Holyspokes
09-18-2009, 04:31 PM
No sir, that is a rump

IGF-WON
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
plenty of non bodybuilders and people with no disorders often turn down "tastier" food because its not as healthy. The problem is when someone goes out of his/her way to offer something or there is a special occasion and people still avoid something for body image reasons.

VTRunner
09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Well, I have a perspective from both ends of the spectrum. I used to have anorexia for about 2 and a half years, and I can tell you that they are two completely different things. With anorexia comes a distorted body image. No matter how thin you are, you still think you are fat (I was 119 at my lowest and still thought I was fat. When you are anorexic, you dont necessarily think of the kinds of foods you are eating and whether they are healthy and high in protein and such, you just think about the calories going in and how to limit them as much as possible.
Exercise is also completely different with anorexia. instead of trying to build muscle or preserve it, all you think about is how many calories you are burning while exercising and how to maximize it. This usually means a lot of cardio to burn as many calories as possible.

So I would not say that bodybuilders have an increased risk of developing anorexia over any other person. I think that anorexia has more to do with other issues such as poor self-esteem and a distorted body image, things that bodybuilding usually help rather than hurt. Bodybuilding was actually one of the things that helped me get better, and still helps me today from falling back into that cycle.

Plus I doubt that anorexics would ever do a bulking cycle :P

lorinelise
09-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Funny, that's exactly how I'd describe this:
[img]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/505/tush.jpg[img]

=) haha

Good job, you know how to copy and paste a URL!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc155/cazbass/Animated%20Avatars/Applause.gif

kthxbai
09-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Good job, you know how to copy and paste a URL!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc155/cazbass/Animated%20Avatars/Applause.gif

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to joemauro again.

Simmo0508
09-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Eating like a bodybuilder just means eating enough protein.

Hilariousness.

wave_length
09-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Hilariousness.

Well that's what's actually proven to be effective for improving body composition.

It's also just about the only thing that all successfull body building diets have in common, maybe apart from the obvious meeting all nutritional requirements to survive.

bodydropcris
09-19-2009, 04:52 AM
i know i'll never be the same, diet wise, again... but usually the only thing that runs through my head during the day is protein numbers...

TroyMM
09-19-2009, 06:07 AM
bodybuilding is loaded with eating disorders.

Alot of BB claim that they are eating healthy by avoiding certain foods (burgers,fries,greasy stuff) his however is total BS. ALL food is healthy as long as its unprocessed and natural. Wether its high fat or high carb or low protein....

Also, although a bodybuilder might weigh 200lbs alot of them or still sort of starving themselves. They are forcing their bodies to be rediculously lean. Regardless of how much muscle you have, your body determines how well your eating via body fat levels.... So a dude at 200lbs and 4% bodyfat is starving...This is why the post contest binger happens....

Bottom line is its not natural for a human to forever count grams of nutrients all the time before putting it into their mouth, in fear that it will ruin their body