PDA

View Full Version : "The Biggest Loser"--anyone else scream seeing this?

Ms. Lucy
10-20-2004, 01:06 PM
I watched a terrible new reality show last night called "the Biggest Loser." Basically there's two teams of overweight individuals--with 2 different eating plans (all low carb). They workout all week and then weigh themselves at the end, the team that loses the least amount of weight has to vote someone off.

The thing that made me scream is that they had trainers who had them working out for over 3 hours at one point--when they weighed in, some lost 22 lbs of weight--IN ONE WEEK!! And while they tested body fat, it didn't account for the scores.

I just think it's terrible. No one mentions water weight, or muscle loss, but one girl almost cried because she only lost 6lbs the first week. I just wanted to scream!!! It makes no sense! I can't imagine the poor person who's overweight watching this show and thinking they can lose 22 lbs in 1 week. Sure, you lose more at first blah, blah, but 22lbs???

MsFit
10-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Damn! I missed it. I'll have to find out when it comes on again. :(

EmperialChina
10-20-2004, 01:09 PM
I watched a terrible new reality show last night called "the Biggest Loser." Basically there's two teams of overweight individuals--with 2 different eating plans (all low carb). They workout all week and then weigh themselves at the end, the team that loses the least amount of weight has to vote someone off.

The thing that made me scream is that they had trainers who had them working out for over 3 hours at one point--when they weighed in, some lost 22 lbs of weight--IN ONE WEEK!! And while they tested body fat, it didn't account for the scores.

I just think it's terrible. No one mentions water weight, or muscle loss, but one girl almost cried because she only lost 6lbs the first week. I just wanted to scream!!! It makes no sense! I can't imagine the poor person who's overweight watching this show and thinking they can lose 22 lbs in 1 week. Sure, you lose more at first blah, blah, but 22lbs???

More than half of that "weight" was water weight.

When they were weighed they were in a dehydrated state, and probably didn't have any water in their stomachs etc...which itself can account for 3-5 pounds. There bodies were also out of whack the first week as not in homeostasis etc......

Hey Ms. Lucy we have a ongoing thread about this also here. Good to see others watching, though I think it should go by bodyfat percentages and such I still enjoy watching it like any 'reality show'. :D
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=347631

Ms. Lucy
10-20-2004, 01:16 PM
lol--thanks Emperial! Glad to know I'm not alone.

Sure it's water weight and muscle, I just find it so discouraging because most people are so clueless to weightloss that they see this and think they can get the same thing--and as someone mentioned on the other forum, what happens when TRUE weightloss occurs at .5-1.5lbs a week IF THAT! It took me months and months to lose 15 bloody pounds and I still have 15 to go. If I thought that was possible in 2 weeks I would have hung myself by now. :)

Errh. Reality Show. It's such a love/hate relationship with me.

lol--I'll probably tune in next week! (It's so sad I know)

EmperialChina
10-20-2004, 01:48 PM
lol--thanks Emperial! Glad to know I'm not alone.

Sure it's water weight and muscle, I just find it so discouraging because most people are so clueless to weightloss that they see this and think they can get the same thing--and as someone mentioned on the other forum, what happens when TRUE weightloss occurs at .5-1.5lbs a week IF THAT! It took me months and months to lose 15 bloody pounds and I still have 15 to go. If I thought that was possible in 2 weeks I would have hung myself by now. :)

Errh. Reality Show. It's such a love/hate relationship with me.

lol--I'll probably tune in next week! (It's so sad I know)

First of all Ms. Lucy, GREAT JOB! I am sure you look good, yum yum I could just eat you up! Excuse my "hit ons" after all I am from the "teen forum". :D

I agree completely Ms. Lucy, and in these 'reality shows' it seems that actual truth is always sacrificed for entertainment, but gezz I think they would give a bit more information and have both truth and entertainment instead of one or the other. In the coming weeks the scale numbers are going to go down totally! I think Dana who was the first to get kicked off probably had the most actual fat loss than anyone else there! I also think that many of the contestants have very, very weak wills and lack dedication and those high numbers on the scale ar needed to keep them "determined".

It's well worth it Ms. Lucy, you will come out looking far better than say someone on a starvation/binge diet, tonned, healthy, vibrant, ripped yet curvy, you know the rest girlfriend! :)

MsFit
10-20-2004, 02:05 PM
I think the biggest losers are the trainers.

EmperialChina
10-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I think the biggest losers are the trainers.

I am not impressed with the male trainer, this guy doesn't look like much at all in regards to physical health and such. It seems like a guy could work out for a month (disregarding any BF issues) and get what he has.

As far as ball busting Jillian goes...........I am impressed with her build she looks fantastic, and I like her mean side...growl!

Ms. Fit are you speaking about their training methods? If so my post above is off target oops.

Thunder_Bunny
10-20-2004, 02:56 PM
What dissapointed me about the show is the fact that they had these people working out 3-5 hours in one day. I imagine a lot of overweight viewers will be discouraged by this, thinking that this extreme form of exercising is what it takes to lose weight.

jupiterecho
10-21-2004, 05:53 AM
I saw that show and was so upset - I thought the trainers were full of it - and what is so bad (to me) is when these people leave that show they have been set up for failure - they will not be able to keep doing these crazy 3 hour workouts and all that crap - absolute bs for the sake of tv. I did like that the male trainer had them eating several smaller meals/day but I think they should educate them on WHY they are eating smaller meals more often and also what they should eat pre and post workout (did they and I didn't see it?)
I didn't think the trainers were great examples - The female trainer was thin - I didn't think she was particularly athletic - and walking in wearing a tiny workout top and hiphuggers in front of all these people who are probably not comfortable in their skin is a load of doo-KEE:) At least the male trainer talked to his group to see where they were mentally before abusing them (ha!). Anyway, I am 2 days from a show and grumpy so hope I didn't offend anyone at this early hour - I am sure after I have celebrated with a nice yummy meal I will watch the show and see it for what it's worth right? Give me a good CSI episode over those reality shows any day of the week:)

MsFit
10-21-2004, 06:40 AM
Ms. Fit are you speaking about their training methods? If so my post above is off target oops.

I was actually referring to the comment made by Ms Lucy - about the trainers having them workout for 3 hours and the amount of weight they are dropping. ;)

Once they get home they will put ALL that weight back on plus a good 10-20 more pounds.

But hey, it's the ratings right? Not the participants health.

MotoGirl
10-21-2004, 08:49 AM
I didn't catch the entire program I didn't see what kind of regimen they are following. I was disappointed, however, in what I did see. From what you folks are saying, sounds like I didn't miss much except frustration while sitting on my sofa! :P

Could it be that they are working them to death to weed out the weak? If they can survive the long, strenuous workouts, then maybe they'll gradually reign them in and get them doing something more reasonable? It doesn't seem like a good idea since it will be terribly discouraging for some/most, but maybe that's what they are up to?

Just throwing out ideas.

EmperialChina
10-21-2004, 08:50 AM
But hey, it's the ratings right? Not the participants health.

Exactly! :D

By the way I just saw your pictures, they should have had you as a trainer on that show, very nice and very impressive to say the least. ;) :) And those calves! :)........i'll try to calm down, sorry. ;)

EmperialChina
10-21-2004, 08:57 AM
I didn't catch the entire program I didn't see what kind of regimen they are following. I was disappointed, however, in what I did see. From what you folks are saying, sounds like I didn't miss much except frustration while sitting on my sofa! :P

Could it be that they are working them to death to weed out the weak? If they can survive the long, strenuous workouts, then maybe they'll gradually reign them in and get them doing something more reasonable? It doesn't seem like a good idea since it will be terribly discouraging for some/most, but maybe that's what they are up to?

Just throwing out ideas.

Good points, and I think that those '3 hour workouts' didn't actually happen, nice TV editing. I have a hard time believing they would keep them working out for 3-5 hours.

Seems used to make the whole thing sound 'hardcore' and extreme, the end disclaimer was a bit of a relief which stated how each diet was tailored suited for each individual and such, they put that in there knowing that people would find problems with their harsh treatment.

Another thought is these 'reality shows' are only 3 months long at the most, and they may just be trying to get the biggest bang for their buck, I mean 3 months and this show which is probably 2 months at the longest is not enough time for any kind of dramatic weight loss thus the extreme b/s crap they are pulling. :D

Aurora
10-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Thats so dumb.

Ive lost 8lbs in a day just by taking laxatives. "look ma, Im losing weight!" :rolleyes:

Hibiscus09
10-21-2004, 10:43 AM
I didn't get upset. I actually got tickled watching the show. In defense of the male trainer, I thought he did a much better job working with his clients than the female. She's a little/lot whacked. LOL

Anyway, these are reality television shows. When I first heard them advertise it, I thought "Just great. More emotional abuse on reality television." Kind of like that lovely program "The Swan." However, in my opinion these are adults signing up for these shows. I'm assuming they knew what was coming.

I am surprised some of these people haven't had heart attacks in the taping of this show! It rather made me feel like a whimp, because I have trouble going balls to the wall for an hour and I'm in good shape, much less several to 5 hours. I don't think I'd be physically able -- yet these non-exercising, obese people are? I'm confused! LOL

Porky
10-23-2004, 04:56 PM
i happened to see this show. it was very entertaining.

ima keep tunin in =)

liftingchic
10-24-2004, 01:32 AM
yep it was a good show.. but i totally disagree that they are making them workout for long periods and etc.. it should be on body fat % lost..

Lc

JLB04
10-27-2004, 11:00 AM
I just watched this for the first time last night. Oh My! I couldn't believe how much weight some of them lost the first week (20lbs.) I know they are very overweight but seriously...it just seems too radical to really amount to any good in the end. But like someone said they signed up for it.

One comment stuck with me though: when one of the people hardly lost any weight (ONLY 3 lbs ;) another person commented on how they thought for sure they would have lost more because of all the cardio they did that week.

It really doesn't work that way.

moody_weasel
10-28-2004, 01:17 AM
I wonder when the show will hit German TV? Right now they're showing "Fight for your woman" which is as dumb as it sounds . ;)

They have their contestants do all kinds of workouts, from obstacle course, to boxing to martial arts to weights and guess what? After the third week just about everyone of the former couch potatoes had some sort of injury. The strongest guy had a rib broken during boxing practice but all the other injuries came from either wimping out or overdoing it (the obese guy).
They should have used this to teach people not to jump into any kind of extreme workout schedule, instead they used this to make fun of the guys.

Armitage
11-01-2004, 08:52 PM
I watched only one episode, and was actually scared of that show, lol. I see stuff like that and think, "Gee, look, we're creating the next generation of eating disordered kids!" 22 lbs in one week??? Anorexics everywhere are probably trying to top that record as we speak (or type, as the case may be).
And, I'll admit, it's depressing. So many overweight people think that there has to be some "secret" to weight loss, and after watching that show, they're gonna think the secret is starvation and working out for hours upon hours every day. My best friend is overweight, and she's actually thinking of TRYING some of the crap she's seen on that show. ACK!
No, thanks, I'll just curl up with my cat and watch X-Files, lmao.....

Xanatos
11-01-2004, 08:57 PM
There's probably a lot more information that the trainers are giving that is being left out of the show. People want to see the good stuff, them exercising hard core and not being able to eat all the foods they are used to.

I think the show is good but maybe the tv crew is leaving out the parts where the trainers are telling them that losing even 1lb per week is amazing.