PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bodybuilder...

jpeg
10-20-2004, 09:45 AM
This past weekend I went to my first contest to show support for runninggirl (she looked and did awesome!) and I absolutely LOVED it. After seeing the female bodybuilders I was just amazed and I really want to do a show. Runninggirl has been helping me out and we have been discussing doing a show April 2nd 2005. I had a few questions about it because in general I am just not feeling 100% comfortable since this is the first time I have ever done anything like this in my life.

To give some background I started working out last year but I only started lifting seriously in Feb '04. When I joined my gym I was 32.6% bodyfat and I got measured last month and was at 25%. Is it possible to get lean enough for a bodybuilding competition (in a healthy manner :)) in 5 months? I thought about doing a show next fall and I like the idea of having a deadline that is very close by.

My second issue is the fact that I'm vegetarian. I don't know if this is going to inhibit me at all. I do not eat meat but I do drink milk and eat eggs. Are there any veggie bodybuilders out here that can give me some advice?

I guess that's about it. For now I've been working on my diet and my workouts. Right now my diet has been:

5:30AM either running 2 miles or lifting (I just switched to a 5 day split)
6:30 2 whole wheat waffles, 2 veggie bacons and a glass of milk
9:00 oatmeal or veggie sausages
12:00 a lean cuisine and a salad
2:30 cottage cheese and fat free/low cal yogurt or fruit/carrots
5:30 (depending on what I did in the AM) lifting or 30min cardio
6:30 dinner which varies but is usually a veggie burger w/whole wheat bun and then a side of veggies

I do also have my share of tea or diet coke :/

And that's that. Thanks in advance for any help and if you need any more info just let me know!

ChocoChick
10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
I am not sure how much bodfy fat you can lose in 5 months, but why not give it a go and then reassess closer to the date? You can always decide to postpone and go for the contest next fall instead.

I am also vegetarian and sometimes find it hard to follow a 40/40/20 eating plan. One thing I notice about your meals is that you have a lot of processed foods in there. Perhaps you can add more real food, i.e., an omelette with 1 whole egg and 4 egg whites instead of one of the packaged foods. And maybe have some quinoa or other high-protein whole grain instead of the whole wheat bun. You might also want to add a protein shake post workout; I find this is a good way to get myself on track with my protein for the day.

Good luck to you! Hopefully some of the ladies here who have dieted for a contest can give you more targeted advice.

runninggirl
10-20-2004, 10:42 AM
hi jpeg :) i know that you have the desire to follow through and reach your dreams!!! and, you already know the discipline side of things because you were a true pal and helped me through my own little quest to hit the stage ;) i'm here to help you out and cheer you on as best i can!!!! the biggest step is picking the date and day by day following through!!!! you can do it girl, just remember that it is a learning process. that was the hardest part for me to accept. i wanted to know what to expect and what worked and what didn't right off. unfortunately, it wasn't that easy!! lol, if only it were . . . . . .

hey girls, this means a lot to j, so any help that you can offer up will be greatly appreciated!! i'm crossing over from figure to bb and am still learning along the way, so i don't want to be the only one advising and guiding little j :) i still have my share of mistakes to make and lessons to learn and i don't want them to be at her expense!!!

stick with it j - stay strong and focused and we can hit the stage in april :)

rg

jpeg
10-20-2004, 05:04 PM
dbfgirl - thanks so much for the advice! i will def start to add in eggs, that is a really good idea. i try to but i always "forget" since they arent exactly my favorite food. I will be incorporating your ideas into my diet.

rg - you're the best! what a good pal - the next few months are going to be INTERESTING!

jehst
10-26-2004, 02:18 PM
you gotta eat big to get big

jpeg
10-27-2004, 10:36 AM
you gotta eat big to get big

Wow, thanks for that horribly unhelpful tip.

Anyways, I have decided to do a competiton on May 7th. It's pretty scary but it's a little over 6 months away so I think I can do it. If anyone on the board could help me with my routine I would very much appreciate it. I worked out my meal plan as well and will post that in a bit.

Right now I'm doing a 5 day split, 6 - 8 reps with a fairly heavy (for me :p) weight (except for calves and abs).

M - Hams/Tris
T - Chest/Calves
W - Shoulders/Traps/Abs
R - Quads/Calves
F - Back/Bi/Abs

I'm not sure what to do about cardio, I really hate it I will admit that right away. Previously I was running 2 - 3 miles 2 - 4 times a week. This week I've been mixing it up with sprints 2 days and then an hour on the eliptical 2 days. I don't want to do any overkill on the cardio - is that too much? I really have no idea what direction to go in.

Thanks for your help :)

Most Muscular
10-28-2004, 08:11 PM
horribly unhelpful tip? What? You think they were kidding? Seriously... you have to get bigger before you start dieting. I see way too many women on stage who have dieted down and look like shaking twigs on stage. Put a bit of muscle on those bones before you think about getting leaner. geeez.

jpeg
10-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Well, when he posts that as a response to every single thread and topic, I would have to say that it is horribly unhelpful. I am not 'dieting' or cutting calories at all, I'm working on improving my diet and 'you gotta eat big to get big' is a POS response.

jehst
10-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Well, when he posts that as a response to every single thread and topic, I would have to say that it is horribly unhelpful. I am not 'dieting' or cutting calories at all, I'm working on improving my diet and 'you gotta eat big to get big' is a POS response.

no

jupiterecho
10-29-2004, 05:05 AM
Just an fyi - I am reading an excellent book all about Bodybuilding by Chris Aceto - it is full of information and walks you through the muscle building as well as cutting up - goes through exercises, diet, contest prep - I would highly recommend it - I think it's called Championship BB or something - you can get it at Amazon - just plug in his name!

Best of luck:)

jpeg
10-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Jupiter - thanks so much, I need as much info as possible. I get so nervous :) I will let you know what I think after I read it :)