PDA

View Full Version : Me after 6 weeks, any suggestions?

krys
10-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Hi guys,

I know its earlier days and I still have a way to go but I am hoping to get some advice/suggestions. I started working out about 10 weeks ago, the first 2 weeks were full body then I went onto a 3 day split (chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders) with abs and cardio on off days. Recently, because of time I have cut back a little on the cardio and am now doing it after my weights. 45mins weights, 20-30mins cardio.
I know my legs need a bit of work but is there any other suggestions, specific exercises you can recommend?
I am not looking at competeing anytime too soon but it is a possiblity for the future. Right now I am still getiing to know how my body reacts and learning all the ropes.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated :)

k

krys
10-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Sorry I just realised I should of put this in the training section.....
'blonde moment' ;)

J-RODD
10-20-2004, 09:05 AM
you look damn good to me!

moisy
10-20-2004, 09:07 AM
I think that you look really good especially for just working out with the routine that you mentioned - in a few more weeks you will continue to see results. I am also a firm believer that diet and nutrition is about 80 percent of the equation when it comes to reshaping, sculpting and building muscle. Eat plenty of protein [about 1 gram per body pound], good complex carbs like oatmeal, veggies, some fruit, sweet potatos, rice and healthy fats like flaxseed and avocados. How much you consume depends of course on your height, weight, age and level of activity outside the gym too. It also depends on whether you are trying to cut up, build muscle or trying to do both at the same time. I tend to eat 30 to 40% protein, 15 to 20% fat and the rest comes from carbs like oats, veggies and some fruit and the occasional protein bar which do have carbs too. I definitely do not believe in the low carb diets because someone who works out needs energy and it comes from carbs.

As for working out, maybe try to up your cardio sessions to 30 - 40 minutes to burn more fat and work thru your weights more quickly with less rest time between sets to increase the fat burning too. I do a 3 day split like you but do chest/shoulders/triceps, back/bis and legs alone since they are such a large muscle group and are fully taxed when I am done working them.

Typically for legs I do the following and it seems to work well for me.

Hack Squat or Smith machine squat 3 sets 20 -25 reps
Lunges [walking or reverse smith machine] 3sets 15 - 20 reps
Leg Curls 3 sets 20 -25 reps
SLDLs 3 sets 15 - 20 reps
One legged leg presses 3 sets 20 -25 reps

I keep my reps pretty high because my legs tend to get muscular quickly and I just want them to be toned and tight.

Hopefully this has answered some of your questions. Keep up the great work - you look great!!

krys
10-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys :)

Thanks for all that help too Moisy. I have changed my diet recently so I have been eating along the lines you have described. Up until 2 weeks ago I was also doing 3 x 45 mins cardio sessions a week but cut it back recently. Might bump it up again? My job is pretty active too which kinda kicks in a bit... I know its not quite the same though.

How often do you change up the exercises in your routine? I have been doing the same program for about 7 weeks and am wondering when I should change it up. I have heard 10 weeks and I have also heard to wait till you stop seeing results, then change...

Keep the suggestions coming guys!

k

bscrusher
10-20-2004, 12:20 PM
krys, cutting back on cardio was very smart.

moisy is wrong about cardio and lifting.

even if you have very rare powers of recovery 5 days of working out intensely is on the edge of overtraining, if not all the way overtraining.

the way you are going to make your training more effective is to REDUCE THE AMOUNT training and increase the intensity.

cut it down to 4 days a week, push harder, you will notice improvement immediately. later you can reduce to 3 days and even 2.

for legs do heavy barbell back squats and heavy donkey calf raise only. the rest of that ****e will only waste your time. after some months, when you have mastered the squat, replace squats with lunges for a few weeks to see how you like it. try the many variations of lunges and squats.

you change your program when it is not working, there is no fixed time.

kaotik1
10-20-2004, 11:01 PM
you look great to me think u look perfect that stomach is a turnon..

maranne
10-20-2004, 11:59 PM
you look great to me think u look perfect that stomach is a turnon..
and who is interested if you find her to be a turnon?
*jesus*

marianne

teewoods
10-22-2004, 11:04 AM
and who is interested if you find her to be a turnon?
*jesus*

marianne

Nothing wrong in a little bit of honesty ...aye oh by the way i feel the same :)

krys
10-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys....

And you ladies are right, those squats and lunges are a kiiler! Definately going to be a staple in my training routine from now on :)

FishFla2
11-17-2004, 02:25 PM
nicee

moisy
11-18-2004, 05:40 AM
Hi again,

Sorry that it took me awhile to respond. Like you work has been really busy for me. I am just responding to the comment that someone had about me being wrong about the cardio/lifting equation ... I don't think that either one of us is wrong. What it all boils down to is what results do you want to see? Muscular, lean and still feminine I am assuming - I find that 5 days a week of 40 min. of cardio and the 3 day split that I outlined for weights is a perfect combination for me - but everyone's bodies react differently. I am not sure if the person who responded to me is male or female, but females do react differently to cardio, weights and diet. For example, I believe that women's bodies react more to sugar and salt expecially around those "hormonal" times of the month.

Do what ever works best for you. I tend to change up the body part exercises about every 4 to 6 weeks to shock the body. Good luck with your new program and I will be interested to hear more about how you are doing. Feel free to ask for more advice - I think it is always good to get different opinions and then you can decide what you would like to do.

Moisy