PDA

View Full Version : Could use your help

1stindoor
10-20-2004, 05:57 AM
Hi Ladies,
I could use a little help here. My workout partner(female) has been matching me pretty much exercise for exercise (albeit, with lighter weights, at least for now)for the last couple of weeks. We've been working out together for the last 6 weeks or so.

Today was back day and since I just started my "get-big" campaign this week I decided to do deadlifts. I kept her light, starting with just the olympic bar, then progressing until she was pulling 95 lbs. So she could get used to the movement and learn good form. Although she's strong enough to handle much more, I'm not sure if this was/is a good exercise for her, and I haven't heard of many women other than powerlifters/strength competitors doing them.

A little background, she's about 5'3", maybe 120 lbs, and is a bit heavy(by her definition). I've convinced her of the need to lift heavier weights than what she started with a couple of months ago and she has made big improvements, constantly trying to keep her rep range at 10-12. When she completes 12 reps easy, she moves up in weight. She wants to keep building but doesn't want to get "bulky". So I guess my real question here is what exercises ya'll could recommend. She's also in the Army and runs around 10-15 miles a week, so cardio is more than covered. Currently her workouts look like this
Mon: Chest, (flat, incline bench, incline flyes, pullovers)
Tues: Legs, (squats, hip sled, leg extensions, rev leg curls, calf raises)
Wed: Back (Pulldowns, wide and narrow, bent over rows, roman chair, seated row)
Thurs: Shoulders (Mil Press, Front raises, side laterals, lying side laterals, upright rows)
Fri: Bi's/Tri's (Curls, pressdowns, etc.)

We alternate the exercises somewhat but you get the idea. I appreciate the help, and your dedication.

sixzebra
10-20-2004, 08:42 AM
you probably don't see a lot of women doing deads because they are intimidated by it or they don't know how to do it. Once i learned how to do it, they are now my fav exercise in my back workout. it looks like the workouts you have your girlfriend doing are fine. if in question though, i'd always fall back on the basics, squat, deadlifts, shrugs. etc. powerlifters aren't the only ones doing those big strength moves. I daily see figure competitors AND bodybuilders performing them

Hibiscus09
10-20-2004, 09:16 AM
I don't do deads anymore -- I do SLDLs for my hammies, but not regular deadlifts for back. I found they thickened my core over time & I did not want a thicker waistline. I do suggest she throw in SLDLs and lunges for her leg routine.

1stindoor
10-20-2004, 10:11 AM
you probably don't see a lot of women doing deads because they are intimidated by it or they don't know how to do it. Once i learned how to do it, they are now my fav exercise in my back workout. it looks like the workouts you have your girlfriend doing are fine. if in question though, i'd always fall back on the basics, squat, deadlifts, shrugs. etc. powerlifters aren't the only ones doing those big strength moves. I daily see figure competitors AND bodybuilders performing them
Thank you for the input sixzebra, she definitely wasn't intimidated by them. We try to keep the core exercises in every week. The only difference is I'll alternate "light" and "heavy" for squats and bench presses.

1stindoor
10-20-2004, 10:13 AM
I don't do deads anymore -- I do SLDLs for my hammies, but not regular deadlifts for back. I found they thickened my core over time & I did not want a thicker waistline. I do suggest she throw in SLDLs and lunges for her leg routine.
Thank you for the help. We haven't done any SLDL's so that's definitely something we could add. As for the lunges...she's willing...I'm stalling. lol.
Those things kill my knees at my age.

Hibiscus09
10-21-2004, 09:19 AM
I'm old too. LOL ;) Just make sure your knee does not go out over you toe when doing them, do not let your other knee touch the floor completely, and keep your carriage upright. Also, don't swing the dumbbells. If it bothers her knees too much, even doing that, just don't have her do them. Knees are important. You could always just root her on while she's doing them! :D

1stindoor
10-21-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm old too. LOL ;) Just make sure your knee does not go out over you toe when doing them, do not let your other knee touch the floor completely, and keep your carriage upright. Also, don't swing the dumbbells. If it bothers her knees too much, even doing that, just don't have her do them. Knees are important. You could always just root her on while she's doing them! :D
Thanks again for your help, we've done 'em a time or two already. I just don't like them. She thinks they're great, and likes it when people watch her walking up and down the gym carrying the dumbbells.

BTW I think knees are important too. I've got way too many friends that have screwed theirs up on the job.

peregrine
10-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Thank you for the help. We haven't done any SLDL's so that's definitely something we could add. As for the lunges...she's willing...I'm stalling. lol.
Those things kill my knees at my age.

i'd say WALKING LUNGES for anyone. i'd say the bullet proof the knees from injuries especially with all the running and jumping and humping soldiers do. they strengthen the area around the knee and imho actually seem to reduce knee injuries. lunges in place i dislike, as well as reverse lunges. i believe they reduce cellulite as they force the hams to stretch and work through a full range, thereby increasing usable range and output.
when doing focus on bringing the body more up rather than foward.

peregrine
10-22-2004, 08:43 AM
5'3" 120 is very nice size as well. but regular deads may thicken the waist as well as the bottom. you could use 3x3 which may not cause hypertrophy.

though if she was 'skinny' and needed some size in the hips and glutes i would advise deads to develop those areas.

1stindoor
10-22-2004, 10:45 AM
5'3" 120 is very nice size as well. but regular deads may thicken the waist as well as the bottom. you could use 3x3 which may not cause hypertrophy.

though if she was 'skinny' and needed some size in the hips and glutes i would advise deads to develop those areas.
Thanks Peregrine for the input; I agree that her weight is not a problem, she sees it that way though, so I can understand her wanting to change it. I wouldn't define her as "skinny", but she's definitely not overweight. At least I don't think so. Her BF% is probably her biggest "problem", unfortunately the Army sees it that way as well. So we're trying to focus on bringing down the % numbers as well.

On a personal note...I love the quote you use in your sig.

sixzebra
10-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the input sixzebra, she definitely wasn't intimidated by them. We try to keep the core exercises in every week. The only difference is I'll alternate "light" and "heavy" for squats and bench presses.

I also alternate light and heavy but mostly for legs although I occasionally will also do that for other muscles groups as needed. Alternating light and heavy SLDL has really done wonders for my hams as well.

1stindoor
10-25-2004, 06:28 AM
Thanks again sixzebra for your help.

1stindoor
11-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Didn't really need to bump this thread back up, but wanted to brag on my workout partner. She did 250 X 6 on the hip sled today! This was a new record for her and I was quite proud.