PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Nutrition Question

Ms. Lucy
10-20-2004, 04:44 AM
Hi Ladies!

I know you should consume protein and carbs soon your weight routine, but what if you're doing cardio after weights. I would be doing a 40 minute weightlifting routine followed by 30-40 minutes of cardio. Is it ok to wait so long before eating?

Thanks!

sixzebra
10-20-2004, 08:47 AM
i had the same question not to long ago. i also do about 40 mins cardio after weights. don't know if its right but it works for me - i drink my protein carb drink after weights as long as I'm not going to run for my cardio (walking and biking). I drink it while im on the treadmill. But if i'm doing to do intervals or run then I hold off until I'm done. It works for me.

bscrusher
10-20-2004, 11:05 AM
lucy, your instincts are right. not eating after lifting is a big mistake. doing cardio after a full size weight lifting session is an even bigger mistake. you are undoing all the work you just did. doing that much in one session is counter-productive for any purpose. keep your sessions down to 45 minutes total, then you can increase intensity, and you will notice the rate of your progress speed up.

six, what you are doing seems to work for you because you have not tryed anything better, you have low expectations. cut the volume of your workouts and increase the intensity. you will get a pleasant surprise.

Ms. Lucy
10-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Makes Sense!

I'm assuming doing cardio later in the day (or earlier) is ok?

Some weeks I only have 3-4 days free. I'm still cutting and prefer longer cardio session at the moment 30-45 minutes (trying to teach myself to jog--I'd love to be able to run a mile or two! :)

bscrusher
10-20-2004, 03:12 PM
hi lucy, if you have body building goals they may reached most quickly and efficiently with less volume than i suspect you are using. if you have 2 or 3 days a week available to excercise and these are separated by rest days, that is all you need. do one session, lifting or cardio, per day. with the drop in volume push for an increase of intensity. your progress will speed up.

i suppose if you wanted to do lifting and cardio on the same day you could do 30 minutes of lifting and 15 minutes of cardio in the same session, or some similar arrangement, but i see no advantage for a bodybuilder.

why are you cutting and for how long?

SEADRA
10-20-2004, 03:33 PM
sorry to jump in. bscrusher how many exercises would you suggest doing per body part?

bscrusher
10-20-2004, 03:52 PM
good question sea, here is the thing... "how many excercises...per body part?" is the wrong way to look at our situation.

your body was designed to work as a holistic system, and that is how it should be trained.

a better question might be, "what lifts should a body builder do, and how often, to increase full body muscle mass in a balanced way?"

or "how many sets of squats should someone do in a workout to gain muscle mass in their legs most efficiently?"

or "what excercise is best for increasing the muscle mass of the shoulders."

back to the body part question. how about this, a person could do approximately 27 sets of lifting, split into 3 sessions, every 9 or 10 days to gain muscle mass very quickly.

that statement sounds very general and the first three questions sound more specific, but this is the way you should be thinking.

don't think of your body as "parts", think of it as a system.

body part training is a dead end.

check out what i wrote on these two threads...

"shoulders - what did i do?" started by dbflgirl.

and "split vs fbody - myths or not?!" started by tango650.

bscrusher
10-20-2004, 06:11 PM
hello again sea, to better get this idea of your body working as a system, consider this...

the main lifts you should use in body building are the compound lifts which are full body excercises. so when you do a set of deadlifts this is a set primarily effecting....

1) the gluteus
2) the hamstrings
3) the lats
4) the traps
5) all forearm muscles
6) extensor dorsai
7) abs

or you could say "legs, glutes, back, abs and forearms. however, there is also a powerful secondary effect on...

8) quads
9) shoulders
10) biceps
11) triceps
12) calves
13) remaining muscles of the back
14) remaining muscles of the waist
15) remaining muscles of the legs

so if you did one set of dl this would count as one set for each "part" mentioned? also realize that although i have split these "parts" into two categories, primary and secondary, the reality is that the effect on each muscle is infinitely graded, that is, although you may totally smoke your hamstrings doing dls, do you know what is left in your lats? or traps? or obliques? no, you don't, and you don't really need to spend an awful lot of time figuring it out to workout effectively. would we say thet a set of dls counts as one set for hamstrings and 1/2 set for triceps? 2/3 sets for abs? there is no need. the question, "how many sets per body part?" is useless, it leads us into unproductive calculations.

lifts such as squats, bench press, military press, and lunges are, very nearly, true full body lifts like dls. if you were to calculate the sets-per-body-part you would have to assign a stress value to each muscle in the body for each lift to make a count.

a lift like calf press is an isolation lift, if we used this exercise it could not be calculated as regards sets-per-part because there has been secondary and tertiary stress put on the calf muscles from all the other lifts throughout the cycle. this would be waste of time to attempt to calculate.

there is a reason these compound lifts are so effective. the body does not want to grow muscles in isolation. it does not naturally use them in isolation. there is no evolutionary reason for something like that. the best lift to grow triceps is bench press. the best for biceps is deadlift. i am not saying that curls or dips are futile. i am saying that curls and dips are ultimately a dead end without a bigger full body compound lift like bench press or dls to work with them synchronistically.

i hope this helps.

SEADRA
10-21-2004, 03:24 AM
Thanks for taking he time to write that it's a big help!