PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Question... How was this?

Ivey_Itch
10-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Ok, it was supposed to be raining this morning, so I slept in a little and decided to go to the gym and ride the bike. I set it for Cardio, for 20 minutes, i entered my age and weight. I stayed in the heart rate zone for about 18 minutes (which was roughly 145-155).. I warmed up for about 2 minutes. And then After I did the 18 minutes in the zone, i just rode it for about 2 minutes more, which is not included in the 20 minutes. It said that I burned 183 calories. Does that sound right..and is that good for 20 minutes? I'm just trying to gain an understanding of how i'm progressing along.. Should i of upped my heart rate... the machine will adjust to meet your desired heart rate..so if you slow down, it gets "heavy".. Also.. was 20 minutes long enough? I worked up quiet a sweat, and rather quickly as well.. So could someone tell me if I did ok, average, better than average, pathetic...??? That would really help me out! Thanks!

Ladybuilder
10-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Ivey, as long as you are working up a sweat your doing good! The goal is to get in shape, right? When you sweat it is a sign that you are burning fat!

Here is how you measure if your okay/decent, fair, good, great, out-of-this-world....

Was it really easy? -- You need to pick it up...either time or resistance
Was it just easy? -- You still need to pick it up!
Was if fair?-- This is great for when you have a cold, but not when your
healthy. When your going to be very fit...you need to be more
than fair.
Was it hard?-- Now if your challenged...you hit the spot...You did great!!
(Such as sweating it out).

Was it too hard? -- If it's too challenging you don't get the full benefit of it
all. You want to challenge yourself, but not to the point
that you cannot finish the goal.

I hope I was able to help...Keep up the good work!

Ivey_Itch
10-19-2004, 08:46 AM
It was pretty intense...i know i was sweating pretty quickly..and kept the sweat going all the way through..and then some! I have to work up a sweat, or i don't feel like i've accomplished anything! :) So, I guess that was a good workout.. :) Thanks for the reply!

Emma-Leigh
10-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Ivey, as long as you are working up a sweat your doing good! The goal is to get in shape, right? When you sweat it is a sign that you are burning fat!
Actually, sweating has little to do with if you are 'burning fat'. It is mostly a reflection of your environment (heat, humidity, wind, clothes) and your physiology (diet, what you ate before you trained, your genetics - some people sweat more, fitter people also sweat more as their bodies are more efficient at getting rid of heat)...

So do not count 'sweating' as a 'fat loss indicator'.

I do agree that what is more important is your perception of the intensity of the exercise. I believe that you should try to do short sessions of cardio at an intensity of at least 70-75%. 80-90% is much better...

Ivey_Itch
10-20-2004, 03:31 AM
How do you know what intensity you are at??

Emma-Leigh
10-20-2004, 03:55 AM
How do you know what intensity you are at??

I go by both HR (working at 75% or above maximal heart-rate) and on how I feel. If I feel like I am working really hard, and I need to decrease intensity, that is ~70%-80%. Wanting to stop is 90%. Going to throw up, that is usually 100%. :D

It takes a while to get used to judging it, but you get used to it after a while.

Ivey_Itch
10-20-2004, 04:11 AM
LOL.. ok thanks! I was in the "oh my god i'm going to die" stage for a while..then I would slip into the..."just a little bit longer stage"..and then the... "where the heck is the STOP button" stage... lol So i guess I was working at a good intensity! What are your views on the lenght of cardio sessions? I know everyone is different, and was wondering where you stand on lenght of cardio workouts? (sorry for all the questions!)

Emma-Leigh
10-21-2004, 04:11 AM
What are your views on the lenght of cardio sessions? I know everyone is different, and was wondering where you stand on lenght of cardio workouts? (sorry for all the questions!)
I believe you should mix it up - Both short duration and longer duration cardio have their place in any routine. Both in terms of fitness and in terms of fatloss.

For example - At the moment I do 2 x 20 min sessions and 2 x 45 min sessions a week.

But I do feel if you are going to do short cardio sessions (under 30 minutes) then the greater the intensity the better.

I also feel that you can easily overdo it on the longer duration cardio sessions - especially once you hit 45 min. So you have to be careful not to do that.

Ivey_Itch
10-21-2004, 04:32 AM
Thanks! Right now i'm doing about 2 sessions of cardio a week.. and It varies from HIIT, to Short and Intense 20-25 minutes..and sometimes long 45 minute mildly intense sessions :) Alot depends on the weather for me, so this is aways unpredictable.. even for me! :)