PDA

View Full Version : Need Program

Ladybuilder
10-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi ladies!

I have gotten so discouraged lately that I would like someone to set up a program for me.

Currently I am on crutches and will be for 6 weeks to 6 months. I tore my hamstring rather badly while running. So, I have to stay off my left leg entirely.

I am training to become a police officer, but I also train to get "ripped". I have access to a gym on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. Although, at home I have a low and high pully, leg extension, fly, press, exersize ball, and some free weights.

Can someone help a "crip" like me? I really want a program, but am very discouraged trying to develop my own this time.

Thank you so much for your help!

The thankful 22-year-old

jyo
10-18-2004, 08:35 PM
I can relate to you. I just had two major ankle surgeries in June. I had some dead bone in my ankle they removed, a fractured piece of bone they removed, and they had to take a tendon from the back of my ankle/calf to replace the overstretched ligament on the side of my foot/ankle. I am just now getting back into working out. I was on crutches for two months and then in a boot for three weeks. I'm in my last week of therapy, and can't wait to resume normal activities.

I've just reached the point where my doctor will allow me to walk for 2.0 MPH on the treadmill for a MAX. of 15 minutes. I feel like a turtle walking on the treadmill, but I missed it so much. After being on crutches for so long, I'll walk at whatever pace he wants me to walk.

I feel your pain. I'm a newbie so I can't help you out on the program....sorry. Good luck with recovery....keep me updated on how you're doing!!!

bscrusher
10-18-2004, 10:17 PM
are you going to be a beat cop or more of a office/laboratory type officer? it makes a big difference. if i was going to be a beat cop i would train for hand to hand combat, running, and obstacle climbing. this does not mean i would totally abandon the aesthetic side of physical training. it just means i think that the order of your priorities is very important.

as for the injury, i have trained around injuries, it is challenging, fun, and very rewarding. follow your physical therapist's advice as regards your injured leg. for everything else train hardcore. use freeweights as much as you can. work you good leg intensely. because of the way the nervous system is set up, training your good leg will make your other leg stronger. don't worry about an imbalance, it won't happen.

you can do heavy leg press with one leg. and if you get imaginative i bet you could figure a way to do one legged squats, step-ups and lunges with freeweights. calf presses are easily done. i have seen people do one legged deadlifts. check out the t-mag website and related links. seek out old school liftng techniques, i bet you will find some things you can use.

read articles by mike mahler, steve maxwell, and coach john davies.

Ladybuilder
10-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Jyo--ouch! How did you manage that?!?!

Congratulations on being able to walk now! It is a slow progress, isn't it? I will keep you all updated, but you keep us updated as well, okay?

Bscrusher-- All of us (police officers) have to serve our time on the streets before we can join the team of our dreams. (Although, I would love hostage negotiation).

The Academy is very hard and very few people graduate. But not only that--when getting hired they usually ask for the top 4 graduates with a bachelors degree...yikes! This year I will have my associates, but I am hoping to be at least a "city kitty" at a desperate department...until I get my bachelors. Then maybe I will move on...but dream goal is FBI, but I am waiting for my masters before I get there.

I was worried about the imbalance, but if it won't happen that way...I'll go ahead and lift with my good leg.

Thank you for your help!

Ladybuilder
10-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi ladies!

Tomorrow I have a light walking class. I participate on crutches for a 1/2 hour (light weights and light walking) and then I go to the weights for a 1/2 hour.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do in the gym for that 1/2 hour?

Thanks for your help!

bscrusher
10-19-2004, 12:45 PM
how often are you going to lift? i suggest doing your lifting on a different day from your walking class, or seperate them by several hours. you need total concentration for both. you probably have a physical training test you must take in connection with the police job. do you know the details of this test? now is the tme to start training for it.

while lifting with your good leg it is very important to protect your spine, this is how...

do not wear big cushiony running shoes to excercise. barefoot is best, very thin shoes will do. chuck taylors are great, so are ballet slippers or surfing shoes. don't use gloves either.

make sure you are well hydrated.

do not look in mirrors while lifting.

use machines as little as possible.

use freeweights as often as possible.

do a short warm-up.

when lifting use low reps, 1-4.

tense your abs and pull up the muscles of the pelvic floor when lifting.

use power breathing and/or reverse breathing when lifting.

use total focus and concentration, no headphones, no gum, no reading magazines between sets. when weightlifting is done correctly it resembles a very strict martial arts or ballet class in it's discipline.

do spinal decompression excercises at the end of your workout.

jyo
10-19-2004, 03:49 PM
I sprained my ankle about ten years ago playing recreational soccer. I was on a co-ed team and a guy an another team went to kick the ball out from under my foot and kicked my ankle instead. They thought it was a sprain at the time and put me in an aircast. A couple of months later, it started swelling again, and it did the same thing a couple of months after that. They couldn't figure out why it kept swelling (now they know).

I started running on the treadmill and noticed my ankle was popping a lot and getting locked up. I asked one of the doctors that I work for and he told me the bad news....that what they thought was a sprain ten years ago was actually a small fracture. There was some dead bone in my ankle from the trauma and from the fracture. And my ligament had been sprained so many times it was like an overstretched piece of elastic.

Good luck on the healing. I bet those one-legged lifts would be hard, but you will probably get used to them after a while. If you're leg is anything like mine, my left leg got a LOT stronger because it had to do all the work. My right leg kinda atrophied, but it caught up to my left leg once I started therapy.

Ladybuilder
10-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Jyo- Ouch! I'm glad you are doing better and I am glad your leg is catching up on strength. Keep up the good work!

My leg hurts right now, because my sweet dog keeps scratching at my leg (and hitting my hamstring) whenever he wants something. He is a rotweiler and has no idea how strong he is...He even sits on our laps! (He thinks he's small) =)

Bscrusher- Since I have therapy after all my classes tomorrow I only have access to the gym right after walking class. But my workout setup is pretty good...I won't be overtrained this way...

Gym:
Back Extension--- 3 sets
Leg Press---3 sets
Leg Curl---3 sets

Home (Several hours later):
Neck (manual)---3 sets
Shoulder Shrug (free weights)---3 sets
Military Press (free weights)---3 sets
Bent over row (free weights)---3 sets
Fly---3 sets
Standing arm curl (dumbbells)---3 sets
Tricep Kickback---3 sets
Forearm wrist and reverse curl---3sets
Leg extension---3 sets

Then on Thursday I will work my ABs...what do you think?

Note: Don't worry about how much I am doing. I won't over train. I am learning how to cut back...I use to work 3-4 hours at a time (just in the gym).

bscrusher
10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
time to get real lady b,

how long do you think all of that nonsense will take? i estimate about 3 hours. and yet we know that there is no advantage to training for over 45 minutes, and you have written that you are planning on lifting for only 30 minutes.

30 minutes is not very long. you have no time to waste on useless excercise. you are about to enter a career where your very life and the lives of others will depend on your physical ability.

drop the leg curl, for you it is utterly useless.

military press is a great idea, you could do it seated but this actually is not good for the spine. the best thing would be to do it standing in a power rack with the long pins set just below the bar position for the beginning of the lift. this would be totally safe and it would be a more full body integrated movement. you could also do a push press with a little help from your good leg.

the rest of your home workout has no basically no value, drop it.

working abs, for most people, is a big waste of time, they don't do it right and it builds weakness not strength. heavy compound free-weight lifts are the best ab training there is.

you may find back extensions impossible to do because they put pressure on the hamstrings.

there is a movement you can do which is called the one legged squat or the bench squat. it can be done holding dumbells down at the sides, a barbell across the shoulders or a barbell in front of the chest.
place your non lifting knee or shin on a bench, leg bent. stand on the floor with your lifting leg, the bench some distance behind you.
now squat down with the lifting leg.
this could also be done in a power rack for safety.
it may be tricky for you getting into position for this lift.
strive to replace leg press with one legged squats or a similar freeweight excercise.

i believe calf training is not a waste of time for you as foot speed and agility are dependant on lower leg strength.

one legged deadlifts are simple to do and can be done in a power rack for safety.

various pull-ups and pull-downs will be useful and easy to do.

the important thing is to do excercise that will prepare you for your pt test and for the emergencies on the street. you have not one minute to waste on excercises that do not do that in the most efficient way possible.

i suggest using a strength only protocol for your lifting, low reps, 1-4, heavy weights, long rests between sets, 2-5 minutes, however many sets you can do in the time you have.

eventually you will want to do weighted pull-ups with different hand positions. there is a way to train for pull-ups called proprioception. see the website about military fitness which is run by staff sargeant nate morrison, usaf. also check out the articles on the clarence bass website for similar info.

i suggest doing weight training one session every other day or less. here are the lifts i recommend...

one legged squat
one legged deadlift
military press or push press
bench press
pull-ups
pulldowns
calf press

if your session is 30 minutes do 2 lifts only, if it is 45 minutes 2 or 3 lifts can be done.

you could pick 2 or 3 lifts to use for a full body workout for 6 - 12 weeks and then go to a split later, or just a different full body schedule.

you have no use for isolation lifts such as tricep kickbacks, when you are brawling in the street your body must move as an integrated unit to be effective. the people you will be brawling with are not likely to be impressed by the subtle elegance of your tricep shape and definition.

direct neck or forearm training is also not a waste of time in general, but it is useless for you now. when you have mastered the more important elements of your training, a year or two from now, that will be the time to think about direct neck and forearm work. for the best info and equipment for grip training go to the ironmind website.

bent over rows? on one leg? can you really do that? would you want to? i don't think so.

check out those sources i posted for you. it will save a lot of time.