PDA

View Full Version : New here...

MsVeDub
10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Hello ladies! I just joined the board today because I have finally decided to kick my butt in gear and get serious about living a healthy lifestyle that includes getting the body I have always wanted.

Im 30 years old and a mother of a 6 year old. Before having my son, I was 57, 140lbs and in great shape, thanks to the Marine Corps. However, once I got pregnant, my body sailed up to 206lbs. I am now around there and HATE it. I have done all of the fad diets and am now sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Can anyone recommend on a good way to start? I was planning on doing cardio 30 min/day and 30 min/day lifting, alternating upper/lower body. Does this sound like I am starting off right? I am also planning on a 1400 cal/per day diet.

Any suggestions would be great.

bscrusher
10-18-2004, 12:49 PM
what you have in mind is too too high of volume to be effective, you will be overtrained or you will be working at an extremely low intensity.

you need to work at a high intensity. i have posted the most effective workouts to get lean on these threads....

"gah! i'm so confused and it's all going wrong!" started by Beklet,

"please evaluate my program", started by deedeenc,

"shoulders - what did i do?", started by dbflgirl,

and

"split vs fbody - myths or not?!", started by tango650.

diet is key, i will defer to the experts....

krankyprincess
10-18-2004, 01:44 PM
bcrusher, your views on diet and nutrition are dramatically different even from some of the girls who write articles on this site. But I am always interested in everyone's opinion. You think half hour of cardio and half hour of lifting a day is too much?? I do cardio for half hour about 4 days a week and lift for about half hour 4 days a week. And don't worry, when I lift I do compound exercises, sets of 4-8. I'm overtraining in your opinion??

bscrusher
10-18-2004, 09:03 PM
hi krank, your program sounds alright to me, from the little bit you have
posted.

if a person were to use EXTREMELY low intensity that person could "train" all of their waking hours and not be overtraining, but we know that only high intensity training gets us the results we want.

here is the thing. bodybuilding goals will progress faster on the sort of program i am outlining.

why spend more time on your workouts only to get slower results? if you will cut the volume of your workouts and increase the intensity, your rate of progress will speed up.

bscrusher
10-18-2004, 09:40 PM
MsVe, also check out the thread, "let me know what you think", started by AliceDiane.

moody_weasel
10-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Can anyone recommend on a good way to start? I was planning on doing cardio 30 min/day and 30 min/day lifting, alternating upper/lower body. Does this sound like I am starting off right? I am also planning on a 1400 cal/per day diet.

1400 cals is way too low. Check out BuffedWildCats nutrition guidelines in this thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=290201

I agree with bscrusher that 30 min of cardio and 30 min of lifting per day is too much (are you even planning rest days?). You want to have a lifting schedule that gets you results yet does not overtrain you. Continuity is also a big factor. Some people are really hyped about starting something then their fascination slowly tapers off because they want too much and don't give themselves enough time to reach their goals. Shaping your body does not happen overnight. It takes a while but it is absolutely worth it.

MsVeDub
10-19-2004, 04:37 AM
Yes, I am planning on one maybe two rest days.

Thanks bscrusher for your input. I will look up the posts you provided.

Many thanks.