PDA

View Full Version : Could someone explain this...

HorseGal
10-17-2004, 06:11 PM
I just joined the boards, and I have a question based on what I've been reading in other threads.

I wanted to know why (or whats the theory/science/facts behind) so many of you advise against cardio for losing body fat. This is an honest question, and feel free to be a technical as you want.

Thanks.

Thunder_Bunny
10-18-2004, 04:46 AM
I just joined the boards, and I have a question based on what I've been reading in other threads.

I wanted to know why (or whats the theory/science/facts behind) so many of you advise against cardio for losing body fat. This is an honest question, and feel free to be a technical as you want.

Thanks.

I don't believe anyone is against cardio per se. They just don't think you should rely on it as your sole means of fat loss. Weight training is simply overlooked as an important tool for losing fat.

It's also common for people, especially women, to overdo the cardio. And overtraining will only make you tired, frustrated and hurt your progress.

MsFit
10-18-2004, 07:13 AM
I think cardio is a plus for fat loss. The only problem I see sometimes is when people decide to lose weight they slice calories and double up on the cardio and end up burning out fast. Starting off on 6-7 days a week for 45-60 minutes is far too much and leaves nothing to fall back on.

HorseGal
10-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.

But does anyone have information on why lots of cardio does not work to lose body fat, and why weight training does. I'm trying very hard to change my workouts, which have all been too much cardio and not enough lifting. I haven't gotten the results I wanted, but now I'm afraid of gaining weight from not doing a lot of cardio. I just wanted to know why lifting is better than cardio for losing body fat.

Or can someone direct me to an article that can explain this?

Rosie44
10-19-2004, 03:31 PM
My understanding of why weightlifting is better? In a nutshell - when doing cardio you burn some calories while doing the activity (and exercise your heart and lungs). That's it - you only burn calories while doing the activity. When lifting weights you burn calories while you are lifting but the added bonus is that you build muscle which burns more calories 24/7 than fat does. So the more muscle you build the more calories you will burn ALL THE TIME. Your metabolism also speeds up due the the muscle growth. And please believe me when I say you will not get big and bulky even if you lift heavy weights! You might ultimately weigh more (muscle weighs more than fat), but you will be a smaller dress size and have smaller measurements . HTH!

Rosie44

ChocoChick
10-19-2004, 03:33 PM
My understanding is that cardio can be a part of an overall program but that, on its own, it will not produce the results you want. Cardio may create a calorie deficit, which will cause you to lose weight, but it will do nothing to grow muscle, which is what you need in order to look "toned" or "tight." Being thin with little or no muscle results in what is called "skinny fat" where your weight is low enough but there is no definition to your shape.

Weight training grows muscle and, as a newbie, you'd be able to loe fat and gain muscle concurrently, at least for a while. Muscle has a higher metabolic rate than fat, so the more muscle you have, the more efficient your metabolism will be, assisting your goal of reducing bodyfat.

One of the main problems of cardio is that people tend to do too much of it, thinking that more is better. In reality, cardio starts to cut in to your muscle so that, while you may be burning calories, often it is calories from muscle that are being burned.

Some threads you should read include: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=290201, for a list of foods to eat and a sound training program.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=335199&highlight=cardio, which specifically talks about balancing weight training with cardio

You might also want to do a search on this subject as it is one that comes up often.

Thunder_Bunny
10-19-2004, 04:53 PM
More muscle = burning more calories. Not just when you weight train, but in general.

moody_weasel
10-20-2004, 01:35 AM
bump Rosie, Thunder_Bunny, MsFit and dbflgirl.

Since this is a bodybuilding forum we also usually assume that the person asking wants to actually build muscle so as to not look "skinny fat". In order to build muscle you need to weight train, eat right and rest!
Rest time is when your muscles repair themselves and grow.
If you overdo it on the cardio you don't get enough rest and hinder your muscle repairing/building process.

trnurbdy48
10-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi HorseGal. In an acronym - EPOC - Excess post-exercise energy consumption. EPOC is reached and sustained via anaerobic (weight) training not aerobic (cardio) activity. In a nutshell, as you're building lean mass you're "tearing" the muscle fiber. It requires a huge amount of energy for the body to repair these "tears". As a result, the body continues to burn energy for a period of 24-48 hours after a w/o. This results in an increase in sustained metabolic function. This is not so with aerobic (cardio) training. Energy is only utilized during the activity. Once you step off that treadmill, elliptical or stepper your energy consumption is at an end. I hope this has helped!

GetnThere
10-22-2004, 05:35 PM
I will state from my personal experiance that I made more progress losing body fat when I reduced my cardio. My fitness advisor told me I should drop the 40min sessions and do 15min Hi-Mod Intervals AFTER my weight training (5 day split & 1day cardio). Once I did what he said, I started to feel tighter & my muscles felt harder and I was still losing fat. He would be happier if I cut the cardio more, but....I can't bring myself to do it yet. I like the breathing hard & sweat ;)

Hi-Mod: 1min hard work/1min moderate work