PDA

View Full Version : Low Cal Drinking?-College Student (can't u tell)

Happiness01
10-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Im a college student at ISU and live in the dorms. I workout at least 4x a week doing weight training and cardio. During the week my diet is as good as i can get it for living in a dorm. When the weekend comes I know it is at least going to contain one night of drinking. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to any lower cal drinks. I've tried Mikes Light but I was curious if anyone else out there has any suggestions on what else i should try.

Thunder_Bunny
10-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Depending on your goals, and how good your diet is the rest of the time, I don't believe cheating one day a week is going to signifigantly hurt you.
However, alchohol does have a negative impact on protein synthesis and will probably hurt muscle gaines.

SEADRA
10-17-2004, 05:00 PM
Any of your light beers there only 10-15 calories difference beetween the brands. I prefer budlight. I don't drink anymore I'm trying to gain muscle and there just worthless calories. But anyway if you have a mixed drink make sure you at least use a diet soda. A shot of liquor has about 90 calories and some kinds even more. Tequila is lower around 80.

Pharm Animal
10-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Try 151 or Vodka. Less filling, gets you drunk fast!

impossible702
10-18-2004, 03:06 AM
the calories dont matter...alcohol slows down fat metabolism like a bitch. it doesnt matter if its a lite beer or not. kinda sucks doesnt it? btw im at Eastern.

Happiness01
10-18-2004, 09:09 AM
My goals pretty much are to gain a little muscle. I'm 5'0" and around 100 pounds (i weighed myself the other day and I was 103 but I think that was just due to the fact that it was "that time of the month.") I lost about 8 pounds just doing cardio since the summer and have been adding weight training to my routine just to tighten up a bit. I did good over the summer and didn't drink as much but now that I'm back at school its hard to avoid it.
If I do drink hard liquor I'll mix it with diet coke. I prefer the harder stuff to get me drunk faster. Unfortunatly Mudslides and White Russians aren't low cal -haha! That would be nice.

maranne
10-18-2004, 12:37 PM
My goals pretty much are to gain a little muscle. I'm 5'0" and around 100 pounds (i weighed myself the other day and I was 103 but I think that was just due to the fact that it was "that time of the month.") I lost about 8 pounds just doing cardio since the summer and have been adding weight training to my routine just to tighten up a bit. I did good over the summer and didn't drink as much but now that I'm back at school its hard to avoid it.
If I do drink hard liquor I'll mix it with diet coke. I prefer the harder stuff to get me drunk faster. Unfortunatly Mudslides and White Russians aren't low cal -haha! That would be nice.

You may notice that people who are serious about weightlifting do not drink alcohol. And if they do, they do so in moderation.
Being a female it frightens me to actually read things like....Quote:I prefer the harder stuff to get me drunk faster.
Why are you doing this? And what do you actually achieve? How does that attitude go with a healthy lifestyle? I am lost..maybe you can enlighten me on that.

Marianne

impossible702
10-18-2004, 04:14 PM
You may notice that people who are serious about weightlifting do not drink alcohol. And if they do, they do so in moderation.
Being a female it frightens me to actually read things like....Quote:I prefer the harder stuff to get me drunk faster.
Why are you doing this? And what do you actually achieve? How does that attitude go with a healthy lifestyle? I am lost..maybe you can enlighten me on that.

Marianne

well said maranne. i hate it when people are like, " im in college, i have to drink." fu<k that belief. as you can see, i hate alcohol...

SEADRA
10-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Finally I don't feel alone by not drinking. I don't understand why people need to be drunk to have fun.

impossible702
10-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Finally I don't feel alone by not drinking. I don't understand why people need to be drunk to have fun.

dont worry about it, they need more people like us in the world. i like the way you put it, "i dont understand why people need to drink to have fun."

imperfectly_lou
10-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Well said girls... I am a full time student myself and I think the last time I had a drink would have been a long long time ago... I would much prefer to cheat on ice cream than alcohol!

MsFit
10-18-2004, 05:23 PM
I'm glad I got my drinking days over a long time ago. :D

When I got into bodybuilding I would drink water at the clubs and when partying. Yeah, I was the odd ball.

I have an occassional drink now and then and it's usually limited to one.

It's hard to not follow the crowd in college, so my suggestion is to limit the drinking to just one night and keep it at two drinks max.

kaylers
10-18-2004, 07:10 PM
hey. I am a university student and I do not drink anymore. It has been meet with a lot of negavity from my 'friends'. It is actually now that I have stopped drinking for the past few months and over the summer that I have figured out who my real friends are. My university friends no longer even call me to go out. Since I have decided not to drink, I'm no longer even asked. This disapoints me alot. However, my boyfriend and all his friends are always supportive of me not drinking. It was my decision to stop drinking that I realized a lot of things about going out with who I thought were my friends. I'm disapointed, but I guess it will open up new doors.
I am now always DD and my boyfriend and his friends never pressure me to drink ever. That is the way it should be. If you feel the need to drink just get some soda water and a lime/lemon people will leave you alone. Seriously, I understand that there is pressure to drink. But, there is a lot of excess sugar and calories packed into alcohol and coolers....so watch out. You can try the 'light' coolers.

Glad to know that there are other non-drinkers here!! YAY!! :)

Happiness01
10-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Sorry I think you are getting the wrong idea about my original post. I do not, by any means, feel that I HAVE to drink or that other people make me drink. I just wanted to know what the best choices are when i want to knock a few back.

Psk
10-18-2004, 10:26 PM
What about wine?? It is not THAT bad..

maranne
10-18-2004, 11:59 PM
Well..Happiness...I am only too glad if I misinterpreted (?sp) your original post.

Maybe it is a question of age, knowing what you want out of life and enjoyment. I only drink wine and the occasional cocktail for my birthday, but that is a personal choice.
My original concern was not the actually alcohol consumption, but the idea of wanting to get drunk faster mixed with an interest for building a better body! I didnīt get that at all.

Nobody should be forced to drink, take drugs or else...it is a pure personal choice. Being strong enough bodywise usually brings about a mental strength as well.
So if you drink, drink for heavenīs sake and enjoy it. But you might discover that a healthy lifestyle doesnīt go with drinking at most times.

:) marianne

impossible702
10-19-2004, 02:52 AM
id rather drink a diet vanilla pepsi :)

spn
10-23-2004, 09:06 PM
I guess I'm in the middle. I looooove my margaritas but only a few times a month. If it's something you enjoy you have to weigh it out. I manage to stay lean but still look forward to my nights out with hubby. Everyone has their own vices, as they say, everything in moderation.

spn
10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
BTW I'm 37 and I live a clean healthy lifestyle so I don't think you neccessarily have to chose, you don't have to get drunk and overdo , but anything you say you "can't" have that you enjoy as most know will likely lead you to crave it even more. You can drink in moderation AND stay lean. I know that alcohol limits fat burning but life is not all about working out and looking good.

krankyprincess
10-25-2004, 11:52 AM
bump to that. I drink socially on the weekends as well. Not like a lush, but when I'm out with my friends at clubs or bars. This did not stop me from getting down to about 15-16% bodyfat by eating clean during the weekdays. It makes a difference to your metabolism, but not THAT much of a difference that you should change your life.

spn
10-25-2004, 12:10 PM
I agree

If we are having date night at home I'll make my margarita with lo-carb mix and it still tastes yummy, obviously if we go out it's different. I know the ones I love are very calorically dense since they taste like a cherry slurpee and although I feel a little poofy for a day or so (course the chips and hot sauce don't help!) I'm able to keep my b/fat at 12-13%. I rarely have more than two but they relax me enough to sit still as I'm hyper and have to keep moving!

I do consider it a cheat, but enjoy it w/out guilt and look forward to it. I wouldn't mind a cheat with ice cream but I'm allergic (thank goodness) to most milk products. But koodos to those who don't enjoy drinking or use their cheat for something else.

sillyvent
10-26-2004, 10:03 AM
i do enjoy goin out - i usually drink cran and vodka and i limit it to once a week.

kaylers - understand that knowing your true friends aspect. went through that but you just have to know the difference between your party friends and your friends.

impossible702
10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
i guess im alright with people who do it in moderation, even though i completely hate alcohol. to each his/her own. yea yea, i know im only 17, blah blah blah, but i have had my share of drinks and choose not to do it anymore. i dont need to have a couple drinks to relax :)

tiff_7_17
07-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I had a solid year where I drank my face off while in school....like 5 nights a week when I first was old enough to go out to the bars.

Anyways, I just grew out of it...but I wouldn't take it back. Those were some definitely lesson learning times for me and i'm glad I got it out of my system. It's all about where you are with your goals...I can imagine being a dorm-room college student would be a fairly tough environment to be a clean-eating non-drinker. Not impossible, but hard.

Like lately i've been getting pretty serious about my fitness goals, and since I haven't been drinking or going out lately hardly it wasn't a tough transition...but i'm still met with people that think i'm whacked. I'm a server and I work at a fun bar and a ton of people i work with are so wrapped up in that lifestyle...you know, at work hungover on a tuesday, but they think I'M the crazy one lol.

But yeah yesterday was my birthday and i've been following my diet perfectly for about 5/6 weeks with no cheats, and i'm down 14 lbs in that time...so I figured on my birthday I would just let go and have whatever. So I had a few drinks, I think 3...and I ate some unhealthy food...

This morning I feel like CRAAAAP!!!! The biggest thing I think was the salt, I woke up 2 or 3 times in the night needing to guzzle water because my body isn't used to all the salt...anyways i'm gonna get right back on the wagon today because I was feeling fantastic.

Anyways, back on topic...if I do have a drink or two, I really like getting a good quality flavored vodka and mix it with soda water and garnish with a lime wedge. Blueberry vodka with soda is really nice. It's not a sweet drink, but it doesn't make you feel like crap drinking it either.

viridian
07-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I had a solid year where I drank my face off while in school....like 5 nights a week when I first was old enough to go out to the bars.

Anyways, I just grew out of it...but I wouldn't take it back. Those were some definitely lesson learning times for me and i'm glad I got it out of my system. It's all about where you are with your goals...I can imagine being a dorm-room college student would be a fairly tough environment to be a clean-eating non-drinker. Not impossible, but hard.

Like lately i've been getting pretty serious about my fitness goals, and since I haven't been drinking or going out lately hardly it wasn't a tough transition...but i'm still met with people that think i'm whacked. I'm a server and I work at a fun bar and a ton of people i work with are so wrapped up in that lifestyle...you know, at work hungover on a tuesday, but they think I'M the crazy one lol.

But yeah yesterday was my birthday and i've been following my diet perfectly for about 5/6 weeks with no cheats, and i'm down 14 lbs in that time...so I figured on my birthday I would just let go and have whatever. So I had a few drinks, I think 3...and I ate some unhealthy food...

This morning I feel like CRAAAAP!!!! The biggest thing I think was the salt, I woke up 2 or 3 times in the night needing to guzzle water because my body isn't used to all the salt...anyways i'm gonna get right back on the wagon today because I was feeling fantastic.

Anyways, back on topic...if I do have a drink or two, I really like getting a good quality flavored vodka and mix it with soda water and garnish with a lime wedge. Blueberry vodka with soda is really nice. It's not a sweet drink, but it doesn't make you feel like crap drinking it either.

Just lettin you know, this thread was FIVE years old... lol

How do these old threads get brough back up? Over-utilising the search?

Ive been wondering that.