PDA

View Full Version : Question about fish oil and calories.

andrewmul
07-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Ok im jsut about to go on a mjor cut, following christain thibaudeau's body transformation guidelines.

He says in his article to tkae in around 30g of fish oil a day. Im going to split it up between flax seed oil tablets and fish oil tablets

Now seeing that 1g of fat is 9 cals.

Does this mean 1g of fish oil is 9 calories, same for 1g of flaxseed oil?

Or should i not count calories for these, jsut as hes asking ot begin having a high fat macro ratio in the diet. and im not sure whether to count calories for the fish oil tablets?

King_Marmoset!
07-02-2007, 10:11 AM
They are fairly negligible as far as counting calories go. How many will you be consuming per day?

andrewmul
07-02-2007, 10:22 AM
well in the program he suggest taking in asm uch as 30g of fish oil. So i had jsut got thinkign that fish oils are pretyt much just fat, i should count the calories from them.

Struct09
07-02-2007, 10:39 AM
30g of fish oil seems like overkill. And you would want to count those, since that would add up to about 270 extra calories.

kieltyka34
07-02-2007, 10:52 AM
i would aim for all 30 g of that being fish oil (not a mixture of flax and fish). Keep in mind you can buy a higher EPA/DHA product so you won't have to consume as much. Also, you may want to try to add sesathin which could cut your fish oil dosage down a little further. (probably 15 g, if youre using a lower quality fish oil)

I wouldn't worry about the calories from fish oil but keep track of your diet and reduce calories if you start to put on fat..

tweaked17
07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Excessive recommendation for fish oil supplementation IMO. There's no science to support such a large dose - it's quite ridiculous. If you're going to be taking that much daily, get a blood test 2-3 weeks into it, and get another one or two at appropriate intervals (that is, if your original puncture ever coagulates ;)).

i would aim for all 30 g of that being fish oil (not a mixture of flax and fish). Keep in mind you can buy a higher EPA/DHA product so you won't have to consume as much. Also, you may want to try to add sesathin which could cut your fish oil dosage down a little further. (probably 15 g, if youre using a lower quality fish oil)

I wouldn't worry about the calories from fish oil but keep track of your diet and reduce calories if you start to put on fat..

how could you not count 30 grams of fat every day? that's completely silly.

xucardsfan08
07-02-2007, 11:57 AM
30g is downright excessive.

I would stick to 4 1g pills/day. Just try and find the pill that has the highest concentration of EPA/DHA per pill.

tweaked17
07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
also, if you decide to do that, make sure you're getting enough vitamin e.

:cool:

terracotta
07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Excessive recommendation for fish oil supplementation IMO. There's no science to support such a large dose - it's quite ridiculous.

^^^

WAY excessive and potentially dangerous (if you get hurt, your blood will NOT clot well). I don't suggest going over 10 g per day (and usually I recommend 3-6 g per day).

adamci1
07-02-2007, 03:37 PM
^^^

WAY excessive and potentially dangerous (if you get hurt, your blood will NOT clot well). I don't suggest going over 10 g per day (and usually I recommend 3-6 g per day).
^^^^agreed. I usually take ~4-6 grams of fish oil and 4-6 grams of flax a day. At those doses I don't count the cals. 30 grams like xucardsfan08 and tweaked17 said is excessive and borderline dangerous.

in10city
07-02-2007, 03:38 PM
^^^

And I wouldn't be surprised if the "end" results are akin to taking some Alli and then eating a Big Mac and fries.

tweaked17
07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
And I wouldn't be surprised if the "end" results are akin to taking some Alli and then eating a Big Mac and fries.

"I lol'd"

DarinK
07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
I take 9 grams of fish oil per day and I count the calories in them.