PDA

View Full Version : Let Me Know What You Think...

AliceDiane
10-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Please critique my training schedule. I've been lifting for years, but for the last year I was not consistent (had 2 full-time jobs and no time). Well, now I am back at it and need your help. Let me know what you think.....

Monday - shoulders (their my weakest and smallest part - hard for me to gain here. I put them on Monday b/c I'm usually the most awake on Monday mornings.)
Tuesday - back
Wednesday - chest & teach aerobics
Thursday - legs
Friday - arms
Saturday - teach aerobics

Does this look good? Would you change or switch anything around? When should I do cardio? I'm not much of a fan of running....therefore would probably do the elliptical or incline walk. Plus, I teach step aerobics 2 times per week.

Thanks for your help! I appreciate the time everyone puts into this board to help others.

AliceDiane

bscrusher
10-16-2004, 10:50 PM
what are your goals? nobody can tell you anything unless they know your goals.

AliceDiane
10-17-2004, 06:45 AM
My goals are to lose bodyfat and increase muscle. Currently, my bodyfat is around 25%. I would like to get it down to 18-19%. Although I don't care how much I weigh, I currently weigh 140.

bscrusher
10-17-2004, 12:10 PM
congratulations on not caring how much you weigh.

the next level of wisdom is to not care what your bf% is.

maybe what you really want is to look leaner, generally more athletic, or have better muscular definition.

the number that represents you bf% is just as meaningless as the number that represents your body weight.

people can not see those numbers and admire them when they look at you. they can only see you.

in your first post you mention your shoulders, "hard for me to gain here", i am guessing that means you have a goal of increasing the muscle mass of your shoulders. this is an excellent goal, which will make your waist look smaller and therefore you will look more lean.

if you really want to get lean fast don't do aerobics. maybe that means don't teach aerobics. whatever the case, here is the fastest, safest, surest plan for getting lean.

do two muscle mass gaining workouts per week.

do one HIIT session per week.

use only 2 or 3 excercises per workout

these will be compound free weight lifts.

use a 3 way split, squat-calves, dl-curl, bench-military.

never excercise for more than 45 minutes at a time.

intensity is the important thing.

do no direct ab work.

the more aerobics you do the slower will be your progress.

diet is key. the content, volume and timing of your food will make the big difference.

okay, for shoulders i suggest heavy military press in a power rack. set the long pins just below the starting point for the lift. when your progress stalls, set the pins about 6 inches or so below your FINISHING point and start the lift there. for this lift you can use substantially more weight than you could ever actually do a fulll military press with.

for more details on how to do an effective muscle mass gaining program see my postings in the threads, "shoulders - what did i do?" started by dbflgirl, and "split or fbody - myths or not?!" started by tango 650.